Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Phat_Albert posted:

Man does googles Chinese translation suck: http://translate.google.com/transla...sm%2Fdrz_01.htm

DR-Z 400SM Despite the many years since there has been no significant improvement, but even by today's standards, DRZ-400SM is still a good car.

I love my car.

Edit: New page!

Have an awesome Sumo crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhCj4tvKUTc

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Went for a ride yesterday, had a blast. Everytime I get on this thing I'm reminded how fun it is.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Note also the positioning of the front brake.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Note also the positioning of the front brake.

:pwn:

The whole wheel is flipped around - fork tubes rotated around and axle flipped WHAT IS GOING ON HERE

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The person who linked the photo on another forum thought it was probably to shorten the wheelbase/sharpen the geometry, sounds reasonable.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

The person who linked the photo on another forum thought it was probably to shorten the wheelbase/sharpen the geometry, sounds reasonable.

Shorten the wheelbase, sure.

But what the gently caress is that going to do to your trail. I mean, trail's pretty drat important because too little of it means the motorcycle loses it's ability to self stabilize.

I bet that thing is drat near unrideable, yet the guy himeself is like "Feels good man". Who is that?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

Shorten the wheelbase, sure.

But what the gently caress is that going to do to your trail. I mean, trail's pretty drat important because too little of it means the motorcycle loses it's ability to self stabilize.

I bet that thing is drat near unrideable, yet the guy himeself is like "Feels good man". Who is that?

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/April11/bicycle.html

quote:

While gyro and trail effects may contribute to self-stability, they are not the only causes, report Andy Ruina, professor of mechanics at Cornell, and colleagues in the Netherlands and at the University of Wisconsin. To prove it, they built a bicycle without any gyro or trail effects that can still balance itself. Their results are published in the April 15 issue of the journal Science.

Using a mathematical analysis that shows how various values for the masses and lengths produce stability or instability, the researchers determined that neither gyro nor trail effects are needed for self-stability.

That may explain why he's okay without trail.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Coredump posted:

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/April11/bicycle.html

That may explain why he's okay without trail.

You can make a bike that functions without it, but it's one of those things where small changes to trail can have a very dramatic effect on stability on the throttle and at high levels of lean. An upright bicycle being mainly self stabilizing is good, but how quickly it corrects is going to be super important when you're leaned over and hit a bump, whereas on a bicycle it coming back into line more slowly isn't a problem.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hooligan update: I succesfully wheelied several times today... I'd been trying since I got the DRZ, thought I was just too fat. Then I read online that you gotta tug on the bars. That did the trick.

I'm gonna get in so much goddamn trouble now.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

soy posted:

hooligan update: I succesfully wheelied several times today... I'd been trying since I got the DRZ, thought I was just too fat. Then I read online that you gotta tug on the bars. That did the trick.

Once you pop (a wheelie) the fun don't stop :v:

On a sad note, today was the first time I rode since I shattered my forearm. It felt good to get back on the bike even with the crazy heat we've been having here lately. Sadly, I did no wheelies. Or stoppies. I'm probably pushing it getting back on the bike so soon anyway, didn't want to overdo things by hooning around.

I'm pretty sure this was the first time I've ever ridden the KTM and NOT done a wheelie or stoppie. That's a bit... awesome.

KTM <3

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any trick to stoppies? Seems like you would have to stand up a bit to raise the center... Stand up and move forward a bit I guess while gradually but firmly pressing front brake?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hey spiff and zool, how did you two manage to live in Seattle with supermotos and never try to jump the drawbridges around here?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

soy posted:

Is there any trick to stoppies? Seems like you would have to stand up a bit to raise the center... Stand up and move forward a bit I guess while gradually but firmly pressing front brake?

Progressive but smooth application of the front brake to take advantage of the weight transfer. It's not about cog really, it's more about taking advantage of weight transfer.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

soy posted:

Are you trying in first? If you're low in first and give it any amount of gas the front should come up. It should be balls easy to get the front entirely vertical in first. Second is a whole different story unfortunately.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JP Money posted:

Are you trying in first? If you're low in first and give it any amount of gas the front should come up. It should be balls easy to get the front entirely vertical in first. Second is a whole different story unfortunately.

Yeah I'm in first. I was trying to just accelerate quickly to get it up, but that didn't seem to work without pulling on the bars a bit. I think the pulling also allows my weight to shift back enough to get it up, once it's up a bit then rolling on the throttle brings it up more easily.

Also I'm 6'5" 240lbs on a 100% stock DRZ400sm so it makes sense that it doesn't come up that easily.

I haven't gotten it up in 2nd yet, practicing that on public street in LA is probably not wise. :3:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sit on the passenger seat, and slap the throttle in second to start with, while leaning back and tugging gently on the bars, and it'll come up.

That's the sort of body positioning you're looking for. I'm leaning forward a bit there to balance out the bike because I'm at BP and don't need it to come up any more, plus it's easier to modulate the throttle with your arms bent a bit. Note foot tucked under the shifter for multi gear wheelies, and my other foot is covering the back brake.

You cannot just accelerate forward, you have to slap the throttle to get it to come up. You can also add a bit of clutch to get it to play, or if it just don't want to come off the ground in second, you can try it in first. First tends to come up pretty quick though.

COVER THE REAR BRAKE AND PRACTICE SETTING DOWN WHEELIES WITH THE BRAKE SO WHEN poo poo GOES A BIT TOO FAR YOU HAVE A SOLID RECOVERY INSTINCT.

that's what stopped me from looping out Motomind's KLR

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

Hey spiff and zool, how did you two manage to live in Seattle with supermotos and never try to jump the drawbridges around here?

It wasn't for a lack of desire...

There are lots of fun things to jump off of in Seattle though, if you know where to look :)

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I'm down for getting some wheelies in too. I've been toying with pulling the front wheel up here and there at stopsigns, but I'm nowhere near pulling it up with purpose yet. I know the thing can do it, FCR'd DRZ 400SM with my skinny rear end on it, it'll lift the wheel with a spirited stoplight launch.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

How do you guys resist? I can't NOT wheelie after leaving every single stop sign. I take back ways wherever I go just so I can do them.

I also lately tend to get distracted on the ride home by poking around loading docks and back lots hoping for something to launch off. I've got some key spots picked out.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's easy to resist in the part of LA I live because I seem to see a cop every half mile and there is no such thing as a back route.

I do wanna try launching off some poo poo though.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I haven't found anything better here than railroad crossings where the road on one side is lower than the other side. Without a good lip on it though you don't really launch too far unless you hit it dangerously fast unfortunately.

Take a ride up to SF and re-enact that famous video.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

soy posted:

It's easy to resist in the part of LA I live because I seem to see a cop every half mile and there is no such thing as a back route.

Loading docks.

JP Money posted:

How do you guys resist? I can't NOT wheelie after leaving every single stop sign. I take back ways wherever I go just so I can do them.

I also lately tend to get distracted on the ride home by poking around loading docks and back lots hoping for something to launch off. I've got some key spots picked out.

I uh, ride the GL500 in if I don't want to pull wheelies. The bike just kinda does it.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

soy posted:

We should hang out.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
For me a big part of wheelies was just getting comfortable with it. It was like all of the sudden I could hold first up for half a block, and then started pulling up second when I shifted. Probably no more then 9:00 at the most, but I'm dong them loving everywhere now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The problem with learning wheelies is overcoming the feeling that you're going over. At first, even when you have the wheel like a foot off the ground it feels like you're shining the moon, and your brain tells you to back off.

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
http://vimeo.com/27139748 via https://plus.google.com/sparks/interests/supermoto

Supermoto class looks so awesome.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

For me a big part of wheelies was just getting comfortable with it. It was like all of the sudden I could hold first up for half a block, and then started pulling up second when I shifted. Probably no more then 9:00 at the most, but I'm dong them loving everywhere now.

CA: Dong Wheelies loving Everywhere.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SaNChEzZ posted:

We should hang out.

Fo sho

Empire Waffles posted:

http://vimeo.com/27139748 via https://plus.google.com/sparks/interests/supermoto

Supermoto class looks so awesome.

Yeah I'm planning on hitting up http://socalsupermoto.com/ sometime later this year when its cooled off a bit more. $200 for a class, trackday, and a sumo to use on the track. Not a bad deal!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'm gonna be there on Aug 17th. Bunch of my friends are doing it so I'm just gonna show up and hang out and ride the KTM around. If you want to talk about discounts, send me a message...I think we're pretty close to a bulk discount.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Z3n posted:

CA: Dong Wheelies loving Everywhere.

I keep meaning to try stoppies but the only time it occurs to me to try I'm rolling up to a red light at an intersection. Dong indeed.:downsgun:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
My favourite is the stoppie up to the red light and then a wheelie off as it turns green without putting your feet down. Requires some luck and timing but I've managed it twice now.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I only managed a couple small wheelies with the DRZ before I traded it for my DL650 :( Now I feel like I'm missing out on all the fun.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After extensive testing, yes sitting in the passenger seat and quickly revving up in 1st definitely is the easiest way to get the wheel up. I like the feeling of coming up when sitting a bit more forward though, but I'm not able to get the wheel up more than a foot or so in the front no matter what I do.

Still no successful stoppies, just a lot of my balls being crushed as I try to stop really hard with front brake. I think it's mainly just that I'm a vagine and am not going fast enough.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

soy posted:

After extensive testing, yes sitting in the passenger seat and quickly revving up in 1st definitely is the easiest way to get the wheel up. I like the feeling of coming up when sitting a bit more forward though, but I'm not able to get the wheel up more than a foot or so in the front no matter what I do.

Still no successful stoppies, just a lot of my balls being crushed as I try to stop really hard with front brake. I think it's mainly just that I'm a vagine and am not going fast enough.

It comes up slower the farther towards the front you sit, which is why it's nice to do power ups in second while sitting on the passenger seat, enough gearing to let you ride it for a bit, and doesn't come up as aggressively.

For stoppies, get your weight all up on the front of the bike, and progressively apply the brakes, just keep squeezing harder and harder. You'll probably need to use 4 fingers, if you're not already. You want to keep the front diving as much as possible, because if the front is diving, you're transferring weight forward and that's the key to stoppies. You don't need to be going fast, you can try bearing down really hard on the front brake (but always smoothly!) when you're coming to a stop at about 5mph. That should pop the rear off the ground a bit.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Clutch it up you wusses.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

soy posted:

Fo sho

Really though, you don't have PMs :( if you use google talk, aylesworth (at) google's mail service.

Let's get this goin.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How would a converted 250 or 450 four stroke do in a city where the speed limits aren't much higher than 35-45mph? :v: I think my commute will be like 10ish miles round trip a day. :) I'm just worried about blowing it up in less than a year.

I think I'd like to spend 2k-ish so we're not talking a race bike here. (I'm excited.)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 6, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

How would a converted 250 or 450 four stroke do in a city where the speed limits aren't much higher than 35-45mph? :v: I think my commute will be like 10ish miles round trip a day. :) I'm just worried about blowing it up in less than a year.

I think I'd like to spend 2k-ish so we're not talking a race bike here. (I'm excited.)

Really well. Id probably look for a woods bike instead of a proper 'crosser, but with a radiator fan installed and some mods for stuff like coolant overflow you should be set.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sounds pretty good, I was planning on riding single track too. It's all woods where I am going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Cool DRZ wheelie video with trippy music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgMM_31afe4

• Locked thread