Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

I've had a recurring problem with headphones with wiring that fails after a certain amount of time and transmits sound through just one ear, no matter whether it's an el cheapo brand of head phones or an expensive set Sennheisers. Are there any headphones that don't do this? I imagine the ideal solution would be a tab you put on your mp3 player that broadcasts to your headphones but I would assume that concept violates all sorts of FCC regulations.

Contingency Plan fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Wireless/bluetooth headphones exist, but battery life is the main problem.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Contingency Plan posted:

I've had a recurring problem with headphones with wiring that fails after a certain amount of time and transmits sound through just one ear, no matter whether it's an el cheapo brand of head phones or an expensive set Sennheisers. Are there any headphones that don't do this? I imagine the ideal solution would be a tab you put on your mp3 player that broadcasts to your headphones but I would assume that concept violates all sorts of FCC regulations.

Do they always break at the plug end?

If so, buy a short extension cable and use that. Then, when the plug on that fails, you simply swap it out for a new one

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Contingency Plan posted:

Here's how to fix it for less than it costs to buy another set of headphones

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
My friend just moved into a new place and he got a new toilet seat. It's the weirdest toilet seat I've ever seen, it has two separate seats.

What the hell is the point of this?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

http://www.bathroom-trends.co.uk/acatalog/Toilet_Seats.html posted:

A stylish new toilet seat. A three part toilet seat which enables a comfortable seat for both adults and children.
Great for all the family. lower the mini seat in the lid for childrens use’, lift the large lid for adults.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Personal/public use?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Holy poo poo you guys are fast. Thanks!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Contingency Plan posted:

I've had exactly the same problem for a few years now. I got a pair of Denons about a year or so ago, and they're still going strong. These ones, though I'm pretty sure I paid well below msrp.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have two unrelated questions.
1) I feel like there's a third guy in Hades being eternally tortured in addition to Sisyphus and Tantalus. Am I just crazy?
2) Is it considered :files: to ask about acquiring ROMS for PSX games that you own and playing them on your computer?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

hooah posted:

I have two unrelated questions.
1) I feel like there's a third guy in Hades being eternally tortured in addition to Sisyphus and Tantalus. Am I just crazy?

Prometheus?

hooah posted:

2) Is it considered :files: to ask about acquiring ROMS for PSX games that you own and playing them on your computer?

Yes.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mak0rz posted:

Prometheus?

That's all my friends and I could come up with, but I could swear there was a third who was a human.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
You're not getting mixed up with Dante's inferno, with Judas, Brutus, and Cassius, are you? (Because I did!)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Gravity Pike posted:

You're not getting mixed up with Dante's inferno, with Judas, Brutus, and Cassius, are you? (Because I did!)

No, I haven't gotten around to reading that. I would've learned this in Latin class in high school, either from the teacher or from Hamilton's Mythology. Ah well, that was a fair number of years ago; memory corruption must've set in.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Ixion is stuck in Tartarus along with the other two after twice violating xenia(hospitality), killing his father-in-law, and trying to seduce Hera behind Zeus's back. He's chained to a big old flaming wheel, the first man guilty of kin-slaying in greek myth, and is also the ancestor of all centaurs.

Edit: Also Prometheus was never actually shoved into Tartarus, he was chained up on a mountain supposedly up in the Caucasus, possibly Mt. Elbrus.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 22, 2011

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mr. Maltose posted:

Ixion is stuck in Tartarus along with the other two after twice violating xenia(hospitality), killing his father-in-law, and trying to seduce Hera behind Zeus's back. He's chained to a big old flaming wheel, the first man guilty of kin-slaying in greek myth, and is also the ancestor of all centaurs.

Edit: Also Prometheus was never actually shoved into Tartarus, he was chained up on a mountain supposedly up in the Caucasus, possibly Mt. Elbrus.

YES! Thank you!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

proton posted:

I'm dyslexic. Always struggled with reading.

I haven't had to read anything for about 6 years - so I didnt.

Now I have to for an art history class, and am finding it ridiculously difficult to retain anything. I literally read a page and don't know what the hell I read. Granted its not easy stuff to read. For reference, the last excerpt was "The Norton Anthology of Theory and Criticism."

Does reading comprehension get worse if you dont do it much ? Have I forgotten how to read because I'm out of practice, or could the dyslexia/add have gotten worse ?

My mom works with dyslexics at a high school level, and one of the things that really help her students is getting a computer to read stuff for them. Obviously this is easiest when the text is already digital, but I think it's possible to scan texts and get the computer to read them for you. Unfortunately I can't point you to any programs, because I don't really know any, and even if I did they'd be in Danish...

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
There was a font someone made for dyslexics, I think it's called Dyslexia.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
What's the best place to buy eyeglasses online?

edit: vv thanks

Mortley fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 22, 2011

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Mortley posted:

What's the best place to buy eyeglasses online?

Try these threads:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3384155
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3133007

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tarepanda posted:

There was a font someone made for dyslexics, I think it's called Dyslexia.

Dislexie

http://www.studiostudio.nl/project-dyslexie

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
My water company is trying to bill me for using 26,000 gallons of water in a month. My wife and I use an average of 4,000 gallons per month. We've had our house checked for leaks and have found nothing. Our water-using habits haven't suddenly changed over the last month and their meter does, in fact, reflect that 26,000 gallons have gone through the meter.

How exactly should I deal with the water company in regards to this, because i'm not planning on paying for this inordinate amount of water. That's 6ish months of water in one month (which, for two people, is insane).

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

whatspeakyou posted:

My water company is trying to bill me for using 26,000 gallons of water in a month. My wife and I use an average of 4,000 gallons per month. We've had our house checked for leaks and have found nothing. Our water-using habits haven't suddenly changed over the last month and their meter does, in fact, reflect that 26,000 gallons have gone through the meter.

How exactly should I deal with the water company in regards to this, because i'm not planning on paying for this inordinate amount of water. That's 6ish months of water in one month (which, for two people, is insane).

You probably have a leak somewhere in your water main. Sorry to say, but whatever happens on your side of the meter is your responsibility. Turn off everything that uses water in your house, at the wall valve if possible, and make a note of what your meter reads. Check back in a little while. If your meter went up, then congrats! You got yourself a leak! The bad news is that plumbers are expensive. The good news is that if you dig up the main yourself you can save a lot of money in labor.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

stubblyhead posted:

You probably have a leak somewhere in your water main. Sorry to say, but whatever happens on your side of the meter is your responsibility. Turn off everything that uses water in your house, at the wall valve if possible, and make a note of what your meter reads. Check back in a little while. If your meter went up, then congrats! You got yourself a leak! The bad news is that plumbers are expensive. The good news is that if you dig up the main yourself you can save a lot of money in labor.

i did this already (noted by me saying earlier that i and my landlord checked for leaks). The meter hasn't moved at all since yesterday without me physically turning on water via flushing the toilet or whatever, and leaks don't fix themselves. If it were a leak, i'd still be seeing it on the meter (which i don't).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

whatspeakyou posted:

i did this already (noted by me saying earlier that i and my landlord checked for leaks). The meter hasn't moved at all since yesterday without me physically turning on water via flushing the toilet or whatever, and leaks don't fix themselves. If it were a leak, i'd still be seeing it on the meter (which i don't).

So it sounds like someone or something really did use all that water, or someone tampered with the meter to artificially roll up the water usage.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

fishmech posted:

So it sounds like someone or something really did use all that water, or someone tampered with the meter to artificially roll up the water usage.

I took photos of it last night and this morning, so i'm interested to see if it moves while i'm not home.

Assuming my house is clear of leaks and my wife and i didn't suddenly decide to fill 8 pools with water, how should i approach the water company with this? I'm not really a fan of paying for 6 months of water that i didn't use.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

whatspeakyou posted:

Assuming my house is clear of leaks and my wife and i didn't suddenly decide to fill 8 pools with water, how should i approach the water company with this? I'm not really a fan of paying for 6 months of water that i didn't use.

They have no incentive to do anything for you. Maybe try calling them and seeing if they have a procedure in place, but otherwise you're looking at calling a lawyer. Utility disputes suck terribly.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Is there a thread somewhere about the ramifications of the U.S. defaulting on it's debt? I've been hearing a lot of doomsday stuff and would like to get a more complete picture of the situation.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I haven't been following it, but the debt ceiling thread in D&D sounds like what you're after.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Xandu posted:

I haven't been following it, but the debt ceiling thread in D&D sounds like what you're after.

Great, thank you very much!

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Got caught in a flash flood on Tuesday evening, engine bogged down and cut out (I did not try to restart it) and as I was waiting for a friend to show up (10 mins max), water had accumulated inside the car up to the bottom of the door jams. At this point I got out of the car, and waited another 10 minutes for my friend to show up. I had the car in nuetral already, so when he showed up we just pushed and I didnt notice how much water was in the car at this point. I have a WAI intake on it, so no intake tubing runs below battery level so I doubt(ish) that water got in the intake. Although, standing next to the car before pushing it water was above my knees.

We got it pushed to higher ground, and it got towed the next day. Today is Friday, the insurance company still hasn't stopped at the shop to inspect it, the shop refuses to touch it (Which is fine by me). So the wet carpets and everything has just been sitting with no airflow because the windows have been rolled up this whole time. I had/have kickpanel enclosures that were actually custom made for me by a member of this site last winter that were completely submerged, and when the car was sitting before the tow truck showed up the front right tire was sitting at an angle between this | | and this / /.

I called the shop to see if the Insurance people have contacted them yet, and apparently the insurance people might get there by next Tuesday.

With the wet poo poo sitting in a car with no airflow for a week, and all that, how likely is it that they will just write the car off?

I tried finding a car insurance megathread, but couldn't see any.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Got caught in a flash flood on Tuesday evening, engine bogged down and cut out (I did not try to restart it) and as I was waiting for a friend to show up (10 mins max), water had accumulated inside the car up to the bottom of the door jams. At this point I got out of the car, and waited another 10 minutes for my friend to show up. I had the car in nuetral already, so when he showed up we just pushed and I didnt notice how much water was in the car at this point. I have a WAI intake on it, so no intake tubing runs below battery level so I doubt(ish) that water got in the intake. Although, standing next to the car before pushing it water was above my knees.

We got it pushed to higher ground, and it got towed the next day. Today is Friday, the insurance company still hasn't stopped at the shop to inspect it, the shop refuses to touch it (Which is fine by me). So the wet carpets and everything has just been sitting with no airflow because the windows have been rolled up this whole time. I had/have kickpanel enclosures that were actually custom made for me by a member of this site last winter that were completely submerged, and when the car was sitting before the tow truck showed up the front right tire was sitting at an angle between this | | and this / /.

I called the shop to see if the Insurance people have contacted them yet, and apparently the insurance people might get there by next Tuesday.

With the wet poo poo sitting in a car with no airflow for a week, and all that, how likely is it that they will just write the car off?

I tried finding a car insurance megathread, but couldn't see any.

Not that I really have an answer for you anyway, but it would be helpful if you added what type of car it is. If its a $3,000 civic maybe they will write it off, if its a $60k BMW, probably not.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Bojanglesworth posted:

Not that I really have an answer for you anyway, but it would be helpful if you added what type of car it is. If its a $3,000 civic maybe they will write it off, if its a $60k BMW, probably not.

I'm sorry, I had copy pasted that from a Vehicle specific forum, and forgot to add that info in

It is a 2000 Nissan Altima GXE (so cloth seats, no power seats) 92.5K miles, and had minor body damage before this.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

JackRabbitStorm posted:

I'm sorry, I had copy pasted that from a Vehicle specific forum, and forgot to add that info in

It is a 2000 Nissan Altima GXE (so cloth seats, no power seats) 92.5K miles, and had minor body damage before this.

It'll likely be totaled. The car probably has an insurance book value of around $3,500-$4,500 (depending on condition) and water damage tends to lead to total losses.

As a note, I used to be an underwriter, but I never did claims so I could be mistaken.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

JackRabbitStorm posted:

You might try crossposting your question in the BFC car thread.

eta: or what he said ^^^^^^^^^

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Eggplant Wizard posted:

You might try crossposting your question in the BFC car thread.

eta: or what he said ^^^^^^^^^

Thanks Much guys (or gals) cross posted over there, didn't realize that one existed.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm a licensed adjuster but without pictures it's almost impossible to tell. If the water didn't damage any components, the likely costs would be to remove/replace the carpeting and seats (if needed). If it is not above the dashboard, it's unlikely there is any major component damage. If your intake did suck up some water, the shop should be fine to tear it down and clean out the water so you don't hydrolock the engine. This cost may push it closer to totaling out, but YMMV.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I installed the imgur extension for Firefox and it's not letting me right-click and add photos to my account (the imgur option doesn't show up at all in the context menu). I checked add-on options and it says it's logged into the right imgur account. I've restarted firefox of course as well.

Any way to fix this? The extension features are huge for me.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
Ok, a question for my lovely British Goons: what accent does Gary (Oprah's rear end in a top hat) have in the South Park episode A Milion Little Fibers? Mingy's voice sounds like an American faking a cockney thing but Gary sounds like a legit accent I've heard on a few other BBC/channel 4 shows. Where is that accent associated with? TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Rubies posted:

Ok, a question for my lovely British Goons: what accent does Gary (Oprah's rear end in a top hat) have in the South Park episode A Milion Little Fibers? Mingy's voice sounds like an American faking a cockney thing but Gary sounds like a legit accent I've heard on a few other BBC/channel 4 shows. Where is that accent associated with? TIA.

Can you get a youtube clip of it?