Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

poo poo, thanks for that twitter link. I want a stuffed alpaca. I want a stuffed alpaca real bad.

I still have the pre-order sheep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Corridor posted:

Do people still follow this thread? I just got Animal Parade for the Wii and was wondering if there were any tips or tricks or advice I might need. So far it seems pretty cute but those loving loading screens make me want to punch a bitch. YES I KNOW THIS IS HARMONY TOWN I GO THERE EVERY drat DAY I DO NOT NEED YOU TO TELL ME AGAIN. It's at the stage where I avoid going into shops because it'll take like 8 seconds to load and then toss up a cheery little sign telling me what shop I went into.

And Finn just told me I met everyone in town when I CLEARLY had not met the Wizard. :( His house has a sign saying he's out.

I had to stop playing, I couldn't handle the load times when I could just go play some Grand Bazaar or some Rune Factory 3. I don't remember it being as bad in ToT either.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

PhD Pepper posted:

I had to stop playing, I couldn't handle the load times when I could just go play some Grand Bazaar or some Rune Factory 3. I don't remember it being as bad in ToT either.

My problem with the game was the hosed up framerate. I think I lasted 5 minutes before I decided to play something else.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Lame. Now I wish I'd gotten ToT instead. :(

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Corridor posted:

Lame. Now I wish I'd gotten ToT instead. :(

If it makes you feel better, Parade has way more stuff, from what I've seen.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Huh, okay, I just checked and according to internets the loading screens in ToT are even SLOWER. :psyduck: How did anyone ever get anything done?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Corridor posted:

Huh, okay, I just checked and according to internets the loading screens in ToT are even SLOWER. :psyduck: How did anyone ever get anything done?

Harvest Moon is all about slowing down and relaxing and enjoying life, man. Just play a day or two at a time, maybe make a sandwich or go for a nice walk while it loads.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Corridor posted:

The areas are also smaller, so not only are you seeing them longer, you're seeing them more often. At least AP does some trick where if you're in a particular zone, the loading screen will happen farther away. And the sound is better. And you don't risk having some horrible bug wooing Calvin. And you can ride your tiny-rear end naked sheep and it looks hilarious. Always look on the briiight siide of life~~ :v:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Corridor posted:

Well then, obviously I am delusional. Maybe I will give Parade another shot then. Pet some of my big goofy cows and water some corn.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
Does anyone have any experience with running AP in an emulator or from an ISO on something like this, and does it make the game any faster? The loading times are annoying me too. :( I don't know if they're annoying me enough to spend $100+ to speed it up though.

Andenalli
Sep 17, 2007

I'm unique, just like
everyone else

Corridor posted:

Hey, it's just like real life. Combine your errands in town before you leave home so you only have to go once! XD

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Can anyone give me tips and stuff for AP? Easy meals with cheap ingredients to recover stamina, good fishing areas, people to befriend, best animals, crops/livestock to avoid, poo poo like that.

Also what are the starting crops on the field? When you first start you have some turnips and potatoes growing, and some other thing... that I for some reason thought were weeds and cut down. :psyduck:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Woah woah, what? A HM game that starts you off with actual crops in your field instead of weeds and rocks?? Heresy

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Corridor posted:

Can anyone give me tips and stuff for AP? Easy meals with cheap ingredients to recover stamina, good fishing areas, people to befriend, best animals, crops/livestock to avoid, poo poo like that.

Also what are the starting crops on the field? When you first start you have some turnips and potatoes growing, and some other thing... that I for some reason thought were weeds and cut down. :psyduck:

Those were tulips. And the trees are Cherry trees.

If you have a 2nd wiimote, you can flick the cursor over whoever you're talking to for extra friendship or love points. Also go into the mine and listen for a weird noise. That's a mole. If you hit it with your hammer, it will drop an item, usually a stamina recovery item like Bodigizer or a mushroom and on occasion, a poison toadstool.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Corridor posted:

Keep one of those potatoes. There's a recipe you get later that requires it and you can't grow it yourself until year 2.

The most important (to me) think to know is that you can ride any full-grown barn animal by pressing (I think) A and B together or standing next to them and pressing A. Cows are slowest, horses are fastest, but sheep are the best because riding a tiny shaved sheep looks ridiculous.

I think you can only have three types of livestock at a time, so don't get a horse if you're worried about money because they don't give any products. Also because ostriches are way cooler.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Zenzirouj posted:

Woah woah, what? A HM game that starts you off with actual crops in your field instead of weeds and rocks?? Heresy

Yeah it totally threw me, that's why I hacked them all down. :psyduck:

Where can you keep food btw? There seems to be no Refrigerator. I found I can dump pretty much everything in my Toolbox but it's not very big.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I've updated the OP. Someday I will get around doing it in a more traditional and pro manner.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
Sorry if I missed a similar question somewhere earlier in the thread. The only two HM games I've played are FoMT (which I wasn't able to spend much time with but enjoyed) and HM:DS, which I did spend quite some time with and thoroughly enjoyed.

However, I haven't played either in a while and I can't bring myself to start a new game in either. Similarly, I've accomplished so much on existing saves that there's no excitement in continuing them. Basically, I'm looking for another HM or RF game to bring the spark back.

I've never played any of the Rune Factory games, but have heard good things. What I really enjoy most about HM is the charm of the small-town, almost Arcadian existence that you can create for yourself. If Rune Factory's lost that feeling then I don't want in, but if it's been preserved then I could definitely see myself giving it a shot.

Any recommendations, good goons?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

If want to get into the Rune Factory series, start with Frontier for the Wii or wait for OceansTides of Destiny to come out for PS3 and Wii if you want a console game.

If want a good handheld title go with Rune Factory 3 for DS since it's arguably the best one in the series so far.

yellowcar fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 18, 2011

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Definitely try Rune Factory 3. I adore it, it is amazing. The fantasy setting doesn't detract from the Harvest moon gameplay of it.
Although Grand Bazaar has some flaws, I enjoyed it. If you want something that is more pure Harvest Moon, go with that. I would avoid Sunshine Islands or Islands of Happiness, because the watering/sunshine mechanic is nothing but a headache.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
Thanks! I'll give RF3 a try (I should have mentioned that the DS is my only Harvest Moon-compatible platform). The screens I've seen look like some storybook, gorgeous stuff like in a Ghibli movie or something.

Edit: Is it worth the ~$20 dollar difference for Rune Factory 3 over 2? I've never played either of them and most reviews say 3 didn't revolutionize much, but if the goons say it's worth it I'll sally forth.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Pancakes by Mail posted:

Thanks! I'll give RF3 a try (I should have mentioned that the DS is my only Harvest Moon-compatible platform). The screens I've seen look like some storybook, gorgeous stuff like in a Ghibli movie or something.

Edit: Is it worth the ~$20 dollar difference for Rune Factory 3 over 2? I've never played either of them and most reviews say 3 didn't revolutionize much, but if the goons say it's worth it I'll sally forth.

3, for me, was better by far. I only played a bit before I put it down, but my understanding with 2 is that lots of mechanics don't unlock until you have a kid.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

3 had many improvements over 2. I remember 2 being really slow to letting you do stuff that actually mattered.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

I hear tell that 3 is too short, that's my only concern. 2 sounds like it's a bit obtuse, but I haven't heard much about 1. I'm sure I'll enjoy any of them, but if I'm getting back into/starting a new series, I want to make sure I really see what its best is right off the bat.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Jesus Christ, don't buy RF2 over 3. It's not just slower, but the ridiculous amount of improvements in RF3 are huge and it's not a small game in any way.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Jesus Christ, don't buy RF2 over 3. It's not just slower, but the ridiculous amount of improvements in RF3 are huge and it's not a small game in any way.

Sold! Finally getting some mileage out of my goddamn Amazon Student membership.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I've played RF1 and 2, but not 3. I still feel confident in saying that 3 is the superior game by far. 1 and 2 sort of approach the good game they both SHOULD have been, yet manage to fall short. My understanding of 3 is that they finally started fixing the glaring problems with the first two.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Zenzirouj posted:

I've played RF1 and 2, but not 3. I still feel confident in saying that 3 is the superior game by far. 1 and 2 sort of approach the good game they both SHOULD have been, yet manage to fall short. My understanding of 3 is that they finally started fixing the glaring problems with the first two.

3 destroys 1 and 2 in every possible way. So much of the clunkiness is gone, the battle system is completely overhauled, and the townspeople are completely off the rails in a great way. You're dead on.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The only place where 2 excels and 3 falls short is the presence of Max. Man, I wish he were a marriage candidate in 2. Can you imagine, waking up every morning to, "Hello, I'm Max! Your husband! Remember, it's MAX!"

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Julet Esqu posted:

The only place where 2 excels and 3 falls short is the presence of Max. Man, I wish he were a marriage candidate in 2. Can you imagine, waking up every morning to, "Hello, I'm Max! Your husband! Remember, it's MAX!"

He still gets to be your uncle if you marry his equally batshit sister. "Heya Uncle Max!" "Ugh, I told you not to call me that! Remember, it's MAX!"

I personally like RF2 just as much as 3. Everyone hates how slow it is to start, but eh, if I'm playing HM games it isn't for the fast paced action.

e: Oh god, and RF2 has the skinny pale emo kid with the deep bass voice of a large black man. Whose greeting is "I don't care about you." And who runs pit fights against 8-year-olds.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Don't forget about the racist rear end in a top hat elf.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

If I have a GBA, DS, and Gamecube, what Harvest Moon should I get? I prefer keeping to the basic formula, I'm trying to recapture the happy zombie-like daze I had as a kid planting grass in Harvest Moon 64.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Chinaman7000 posted:

If I have a GBA, DS, and Gamecube, what Harvest Moon should I get? I prefer keeping to the basic formula, I'm trying to recapture the happy zombie-like daze I had as a kid planting grass in Harvest Moon 64.

If you want a game as much like HM64 as possible, your best option is Friends of Mineral Town (More Friends of Mineral Town for the girl version) for GBA. It's basically a port of Back to Nature for the Playstation, which was a semi-port from HM64 so you'll even recognise most of the characters. :) It's very polished and doesn't feel too dated for a GBA game, but you can also check out Harvest Moon DS, which has the same nostalgic feel (for me, at least).

Questions about which game to pick up are by far the most common in the thread (not that that's a bad thing!); maybe the OP should have some summaries of the rest of the available titles for new/returning players?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Corridor posted:

He still gets to be your uncle if you marry his equally batshit sister. "Heya Uncle Max!" "Ugh, I told you not to call me that! Remember, it's MAX!"

I personally like RF2 just as much as 3. Everyone hates how slow it is to start, but eh, if I'm playing HM games it isn't for the fast paced action.

e: Oh god, and RF2 has the skinny pale emo kid with the deep bass voice of a large black man. Whose greeting is "I don't care about you." And who runs pit fights against 8-year-olds.

One of my favorite lines in video game history is when Max tell you he used to want to be a beetle when he grew up. :allears:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

and the townspeople are completely off the rails in a great way.
I think this is one of my favorite things about RF3. Nearly everyone in that town is a complete nutter. Most of them even know it, and they still don't give a gently caress. So good.

GruntyThrst posted:

One of my favorite lines in video game history is when Max tell you he used to want to be a beetle when he grew up. :allears:
He sounds like Jay Sherman's dad. I might have to pick up a copy of RF2 just to witness this.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Tupperwarez posted:

I think this is one of my favorite things about RF3. Nearly everyone in that town is a complete nutter. Most of them even know it, and they still don't give a gently caress. So good.

It really is amazing, only Shara and her grandfather are remotely normal. I mean, there's an almost overtly incestuous pair of siblings, and at the same time the brother of the pair is gay for you. There's a mermaid, a crazy artist, a designer who wants to make clothes out of vegetables... I think I'm going to go replay this game when I get home.

Midrena
May 2, 2009
I keep thinking Shara's grandfather is an old woman. :gonk:

I'm very late to RF3 -- just got it a couple days ago and you all are so right. It's just amazing. I've only gotten the first RF, and this just blows it out of the water.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

GruntyThrst posted:

Mine was when you go into town at midnight and Max is randomly there with a mug. He tells you all about the hot milky drink in his mug. It is made by combining two things, hot milk and some special herb thing. You wouldn't think the two of them would work together but they totally do and it tastes amazing and KYLE OUR FRIENDSHIP IS EXACTLY LIKE THIS MILK DRINK!!! :mad:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Corridor posted:

Mine was when you go into town at midnight and Max is randomly there with a mug. He tells you all about the hot milky drink in his mug. It is made by combining two things, hot milk and some special herb thing. You wouldn't think the two of them would work together but they totally do and it tastes amazing and KYLE OUR FRIENDSHIP IS EXACTLY LIKE THIS MILK DRINK!!! :mad:

Oh my god I've never seen this. I have to find my copy of RF2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Corridor posted:

And now I have to play Rune Factory 2. I wish some of the crazy awesome character stuff would transfer over to the core Harvest Moon games. It would so much more enjoyable than the characters we got in Grand Bazaar.

• Locked thread