Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I totally agree with you about Audacity. The lack of showing edits is so amazingly annoying. I used to edit in Garageband but they changed something about the editing in the last version that made no sense to me. If you do have Garageband one cool thing is that it has a huge selection of sound effects built in. You can find those and use them in Audacity, too.

I messed around with Audition when it was in Beta for the Mac. I wish I'd messed around with it more...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
I would say a good start into audio editing, for actual production, would be Adobe Audition, granted it is expensive. I love Pro Tools, I just bought Pro Tools 9, but the 1:1 bouncing/mixdown is quite annoying. So, it's only use for me is for production. So, anybody have commercial ideas or anything you'd want to be produced I'll be happy to do some production work. This is a limited time offer. :) Emoticon'd!

mcsnitches
Oct 26, 2010
Thanks guys for all your advice this has spurred me in the right direction hopefully.

Lou we were planning on getting the Audio-Technica THE TWO PERSON Audio Podcast Kit. It's fairly expensive but we both received very healthy tax returns and nothing to spend them on. With this kit we can have 2 mics going with a mixer, headphones, stands, and even have room for extra microphones if need be. It even has a call-in peripheral in the package.

Audition looks really good so I'll check that out, and sadly I cannot use Garage Band because I am Mac-less. But it seems Audacity is best way to get the job done at the end of the day.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
Wow, that's a great kit! Good luck to you on your Podcasting endeavor, also that call in peripheral is really effing cool! I've been using skype and let any user call in, yet we do the show in the wee hours of the night, so numbers haven't been great.

We just finished the Friday Episode of the show and I figure I'd put it here, mostly because I am like what we did here on this episode. It's called the Violently Cool Episode.

http://m.podshow.com/media/25699/episodes/289314/wedgeradioshow-289314-07-22-2011.mp3

Whitefokes
Jan 31, 2009

King Lou posted:

an Snowball from Blue Microphones.

I too use one of these and they're incredibly versatile. For recording software, I used to run Audacity until I was turned on to Reaper.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Whitefokes posted:

I too use one of these and they're incredibly versatile. For recording software, I used to run Audacity until I was turned on to Reaper.

Cool, I'll have to try reaper. I use Snowball + Audacity right now and I love the mic but am not too fond of the software. Thanks for the recommendation!

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The Snowball is great, but you might want to get different stand if you go that direction. Getting it close to your mouth is a difficult proposition.

My brother recently upgraded to a Samson Meteor and it looks/sounds great. Also, it has a headphone jack built in for monitoring, which is very important.

With any condenser microphone, pop filters are a must. Don't get stingy, your mic technique won't be good enough to go without.

Audition is a great program, and I wait with bated breath for the Mac version. It's what I use at work. If you're using a Mac, I can't say enough good things about Logic Express. It's cheap (comparatively) and the interface really makes sense to me. Its exporting features aren't as robust as a full version of Audition, but I don't need to spit out ogg vorbis files.

Edit: Correctly identified the program "Audition."

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 23, 2011

Whitefokes
Jan 31, 2009

Song For The Deaf posted:

The Snowball is great, but you might want to get different stand if you go that direction.

Yeah, I screwed it onto a regular, round base mic stand. I also made my own gobstopper with a wire hanger and a nylon dress sock.

mcsnitches
Oct 26, 2010

Whitefokes posted:

Yeah, I screwed it onto a regular, round base mic stand. I also made my own gobstopper with a wire hanger and a nylon dress sock.

Nice nice.

Okay another question for the established podcasters.
What are the different media channels do you publish your episodes on?
(besides itunes, zune, etc)

Are there any good podcast communities/webpages to promote and publish your casts?

For example sites like Podcastalley.com, which has seemed to shriveled up and died.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
It seems like Pod*.com (podtrac, podbean and a million others) are trying to fill in the gaps of podcastalley, so who knows. I've registered on loads of these sites but apart from initially sending the RSS feed I don't maintain or check them at all.

I didn't know anyone published to Zune marketplace! Is it relevant at all?

If anyone wants to add their site to [http://www.gooncasts.com]Gooncasts.com[/url], the free goon podcast wiki, sign up there and then sign up for gooncasts.com to make a page for your show.

On that note, does anyone else want co-admin privileges to help approve new members? Digital Porridge (the show I do with a 'casting partner) will be slowing down the podcast production and putting most of its efforts to video, so it would be great if anyone could step up and help out a tiny tiny bit (just check member admissions every week or two).

Whitefokes
Jan 31, 2009
No problem, krush. I can help. Watcha need from me?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thanks! I've made you a moderator, let me know if you can see the extra site options on the left. I won't know if you will be able to approve anyone until someone new signs up - if you can't see them I'll approve them and then make you co-admin.

Whitefokes
Jan 31, 2009
This is what I've got:

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for running that promo, Lou. It's totally appreciated.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

No problem. If people want to make 30 second non-jokey ads for their podcasts I'd be happy to trade them. I just don't want a zany drop in that sounds like a morning zoo. Those come off hacky, IMHO.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I might make a new one. I've been meaning to. I have only run your promo once but I've talked you up quite a few times.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
Is anyone familiar with hooking up audio via the line-in on macs?

I have two AT2020s hooked up into my mixer, but when I go into garage band I can only select the line-in as one input (which it calls a built in input). It makes no distinction between the two mics and just treats it as one.

Ideally, I want to have it rigged so I can record each mic on the mixer as its own separate track. I've tried the multitrack option in garageband but since it treats the mixer as just one input, I've gotten nowhere. All the tutorials I've found online refer to USB mics.

For clarification:

Two mics, connected via XLR to a mixer. Mixer is connected to a MacBook Pro's line-in. Macbook Pro treats it all as if it were one mic. How can I get it to make a distinction?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Unfortunately I think the line in squashes the audio into one track, and only expensive firewire (or eventually thunderbolt) mixers will allow for multitrack recording. This is per my understanding of the hardware, since your mixer's line out will output one signal, not two.

You can potentially try panning one mic to the right, and the other to the left, and try to finagle Garage Band (or some other software) into recording it as a stereo track. This will require the right kind of cable (balanced for stereo) and a mixer that does that kind of thing.

Once you've recorded the stereo track, you can break it up in Garage Band. Pan the track left, export, pan the track right, export, then convert the files to mono using Switch or MPEG Streamclip, then import them as individual tracks. This is what I do with my Skype audio, since Audio Hijack Pro records to a stereo track with outgoing on the left, and incoming on the right.

This is the one big reason why multi-input interfaces like the M-Audio Fast Track Pro/Ultra are a big deal, since any digital audio editing program will recognize the individual inputs as a single track.

Let me know if any of that helps. It's a kludge, but it has the best possibility of working out for you (out of anything I know).

mcsnitches
Oct 26, 2010
Hello Gooncasters once again

We've made our 'pilot' episode without the kit I mentioned previously. In all it's unabashed glory here is the Dead Mics Podcast.

http://deadmics.com/

We're Australian, we're geeks, we went to an Anime convention. Enjoy.

mcsnitches fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 9, 2011

Fake Green Dress
Jan 31, 2007
We'd been cutting our podcast in GarageBand, but after the latest update it simply became unusable on an older Macbook. (Seriously, there's no way to do anything even close to precise when playback won't stop until several seconds after you hit 'stop'. Ugh.) But now, thanks to work I'm running Adobe Audition and it is such a breath of fresh air! So nice to have software that actually works the way I expect it to, instead of the way Apple wants it to. I can't wait til our real microphones show up...

EDIT: This seems like a super-good deal for someone setting up a 2-person podcast: M-Audio interface + what seems to be an LE-style version of ProTools for $39

Fake Green Dress fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 2, 2011

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
drat it! I'm a day late!

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
I podcast with my friend Darrell every week. We're called The Lonely Wizards and we've done about 24 weekly episodes so far.

https://www.thelonelywizards.com (the link to the podcast is top right).

It started as a podcast about games and gaming news, but as the weeks went on we started to talk more and more about random things for the first half of the podcast (which garnered good feedback from non-gaming people who listened to it because they're friends/family), so now it's about 50/50 random chat/games news.

Although we've managed one a week for the past 24 weeks, there's no regular release day, so that's something we have to work on. We're also working on our burgeoning editing abilities and constructive criticism is very welcome.

We use Skype to talk, Camtasia to record the audio, and Audacity to edit it.

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?
I applied for membership to GoonCasts but haven't heard anything back.

My friend Mike and I do The Forrst Podcast pretty much every Monday through Thursday. We've done around 130 episodes in the past 9 or so months and we've just started (about 2 weeks ago) doing video episodes as well as audio. We cover a lot of random poo poo from the tech, design, and web development worlds.

We talk/video over Skype, he records with GarageBand, has a bunch of hardware stuff set up for switching cameras and the like, and we broadcast over Justin.TV. I think we're moving to Viddler soon, though. We're also available on iTunes, audio-only for now.

It's relatively NSFW but contains a huge amount of information and, we think, insight.

Whitefokes
Jan 31, 2009

MonkeyMaker posted:

I applied for membership to GoonCasts but haven't heard anything back

krush is gonna have to help you with that. I'm still missing rights to approve you.

mcsnitches
Oct 26, 2010
Dead Mics Podcast has posted their official first episode with all three hosts

http://deadmics.com/2011/08/06/episode-01-competitive-bonsai/

:)

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
We just had a great episode last Friday and would love to know what you guys think, mostly for my cohost. My cohost os a bit self-conscience when it comes to what he brings to the show, so whatever anyone says I'll relay to him.

http://m.podshow.com/media/25699/episodes/291203/wedgeradioshow-291203-08-05-2011.mp3

TheMilkyNutBall
Aug 18, 2008
I'm starting up a podcast but don't want to dole out the cash for a domain. What's the preferred free blog service for podcasts? I've seen Tumblr/Wordpress/Blogger podcasts but was wondering if there is any benefits to using one over the other.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009

TheMilkyNutBall posted:

I'm starting up a podcast but don't want to dole out the cash for a domain. What's the preferred free blog service for podcasts? I've seen Tumblr/Wordpress/Blogger podcasts but was wondering if there is any benefits to using one over the other.

I like tumblr because you can follow people and it reminds me of blogger's and Twitter's baby.

TheMilkyNutBall
Aug 18, 2008
Tumblr it is then! I'll post a link back when I've recorded some episodes.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Consider hosting your media files somewhere other than Tumblr itself. Free blogging services aren't known for their abundant storage.

TheMilkyNutBall
Aug 18, 2008
Yeah I've done some research and am hopefully going to get away with using archive.org / Ourmedia at least for now because it's free and has unlimited bandwidth. If that doesn't work out or we need something a bit more dependant I'll probably use Hipcast.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
Mevio.com is free and everything is unlimited.

TheMilkyNutBall
Aug 18, 2008
I'll check that out but it seems like you need to be approved by the site to upload anything so I might not bother.

Dick Danger
Oct 13, 2010

Gee Gee Baby Baby

mcsnitches posted:

Dead Mics Podcast has posted their official first episode with all three hosts

http://deadmics.com/2011/08/06/episode-01-competitive-bonsai/

:)

Hey this dead mics nonsense ain't bad.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009

TheMilkyNutBall posted:

I'll check that out but it seems like you need to be approved by the site to upload anything so I might not bother.

Do they? I joined sometime last year and they had recently become Mevio from Podshow or something like that. So, possibly I got lucky... That kind of sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0EIguB5erY - Random Rant from my show.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

MonkeyMaker posted:

I applied for membership to GoonCasts but haven't heard anything back.

Just approved ya, sorry for the delay.

I'm waiting for my 'casting partner to get back from his holiday, but it looks like there's a good number of folks here doing video stuff as well as audio-only, which is the direction we're going to go, but more into sketch-style comedy rather than freeform podcasting or vidcasting. Does anyone have any site links or whatever they can PM my way (don't want to derail the podcasting talk).

Ideally we'll still do a podcast, but on a much less frequent basis once we start putting out videos.

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

krushgroove posted:

Just approved ya, sorry for the delay.

No worries, thanks for the approval.

We just posted episode #127 I'd Strategize That which covers:

quote:

Dear Recruiters, HTML Lint, Developer Lorem Ipsum, Tame.Js from the creators of OkCupid, Open source Graphic Design, 10 Ideas for Beginner Web Developers, Why we gave up web design after 10 successful years AND MORE!

Just, you know, in case you want to check us out.

Whitefokes
Jan 31, 2009
After seventeen episodes, we finally produced the podcast we have envisioned since before Episode One. If fancy strikes for some music conversation regarding the creative process of artists:

Part One is here
and
Part Two is here

Thanks

mcsnitches
Oct 26, 2010
I applied to gooncasts.com, my account is "mcsnitches," could I get approved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

mcsnitches posted:

I applied to gooncasts.com, my account is "mcsnitches," could I get approved?

Don't see any waiting applications, the site comes back with "Sorry, no applications. Not a single soul wants to join this Site..."