Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Oooh, delicious, Sherlock is being repeated on the Beeb just now. For me it was the best programme of 2010 bar none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Irisi posted:

Oooh, delicious, Sherlock is being repeated on the Beeb just now. For me it was the best programme of 2010 bar none.

Watching it too. It's just so much fun.

Although they do rinse out the do-do do-dododo-do do doooo theme tune every 15secs in the first episode. Nothing unforgivable.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

It was spectacular, but I wish they'd not excised the Mormon villains from the first one.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Pablo Bluth posted:

Did anyone watch The Hour? oh look, it's turned in to yet another British crime drama.
I thought it was really good tbh

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad. I was just disappointed that it's yet another crime based plot.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
I watched Sherlock for the first time last night as I missed it the first time, very enjoyable. Although I didn't object to all the phone usage, it did make it feel like one of those "Don't let your mobile ruin the film" orange adverts, at times.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
The Hour was great.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I watched The Hour and aside from going getting excited about all the old machinery I found myself longing for the BBC to introduce dress standards so everyone who works there has to look like that. It would certainly clean up the (mostly correct*) image of TV freelancers being a bunch of scruffbags.

But yeah it was pretty excellent and I like all the characters so far and yeah it's another crime drama and yeah everything looks a little bit too clean but it looks like it can probably Go Places so I'm going to stick with it.

* I did once work with a soundman who had the most amazing handlebar moustache.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Yeah, I'm a broadcast nerd too. I loved the old tube cameras and 16mm footage.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/21/bbc-science-coverage

It's confirming what we already knew, still interesting though.

shabutie
Aug 19, 2005

J33uk posted:

It's actually pretty reasonable and fair, the teachers come out in a good light with the exception of one incident involving the apparently the great idea of putting a disruptive student next to successful one. Guess how well that worked. I suppose the biggest shock was seeing how much had changed since my days in school only 15 years ago.

It was even weirder for me because that was my actual primary school :aaaaa:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

shabutie posted:

It was even weirder for me because that was my actual primary school :aaaaa:

Holy poo poo that'd melt my head. Anything especially different that you noticed?

CydonianKnight
May 7, 2007

What do you want? Toothpaste in my eye!
I don't think that this has been mentioned, but there seems to be contestant calls out for a new series of Fort Boyard: http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Contestant_Calls

On a similar note, I've spent ages trying to find the music that the UK version used to use for the key challenges. For example, here's one of the tracks they used to use - featuring a bonus Nell McAndrew: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F2ZdkwnemA&t=3m16s

I have no idea how on earth I can trace this to whoever originally composed it. Any thoughts? Google searches, Youtube and Shazam (unlikely I know) gave no results. The only thing I could find was the Television Production Music Museum, but that is behind a paywall and I can't find out whether it is what I'm looking for.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Padje posted:

1. She wrapped her legs around the lamp post like a stripper/gymnast, and then moved her torso around.

They moved the lamp post and the box still flew around. One of the two men was standing behind it, but if she had her legs around him at that point they did a bloody good job of hiding it.

We thought it was something to do with the lamp post too until that part.

I really enjoy the show but they sure have a strange mix of people on - for example that Hungarian fellow who did the messing about with the mobile phones. I couldn't even find a "trick" to work out there. I would have thought there was a bit of a vetting process beforehand!
Also two people have done essentially the same trick and while it has fooled them both times, and it's really impressive, it seems a bit silly to allow that. The ones in question are the guy who had the three tables set out with closed envelopes that somehow changed what was written on them and the guy who knew Penn would write Housey.

It means that anyone who knows that trick - and we can see there's at least two of them - will come on the show and always win a trip to Las Vegas!
That said those tricks are a total loving mystery to me, I cannot even begin to comprehend what it is they do.

Daedo
May 5, 2002
I really don't know how those two Swedish guys at the end fooled Penn And Teller. At first I thought that switch was sooooo obvious looking and crappy but it turns out that was a misdirect! If there was no card switching involved, then I'm pretty stumped.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'm watching The Hour and expecting McNulty to blow his cover at any moment, good thing he forgot those safe words...

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Daedo posted:

I really don't know how those two Swedish guys at the end fooled Penn And Teller. At first I thought that switch was sooooo obvious looking and crappy but it turns out that was a misdirect! If there was no card switching involved, then I'm pretty stumped.

They must have misinterpreted "card switch" or lied because there's no way. Whether it be when he took it out the guys mouth or when he put the pliers in his pocket, it's just so blatant he retrieved the card from the deck before the throwing/counting act.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....
I think he might have shoved the card in his mouth when he used the scissors to cut the gaffer tape.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
if there was no switch then the guy would have just taken them in the pliers straight from his mouth over to Penn and Teller and shown it was the right card, which I thought they were going to do. When he hosed about in his pocket and the card goes out of sight for a second, there's no reason to do that unless it's a switch

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
A new series of Bigipedia has started :) The second episode is available in iplayer but I seem to have missed the first :(

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not a great fan of bigipedia. It just comes across as thinking it's a lot funnier than it actually is.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I really liked the 2 seasons of Wallander and saw that there's a similar show called Zen, but it's cancelled. Is the first season of Zen worth watching?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Zen is basically Wallander with all the edges cut off it.

Also I don't think it got canned, they just reached the end of the series.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is anybody watching that dynamo stuff?
He is properly good and it's stressing me out!
Anyone know how any of it's done?!

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Is it just me, or is Miranda possibly the lamest sitcom on TV? Or is it meant to be a clever tribute to old sitcoms and I'm just missing the joke?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Yes. No.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

ChuckDHead posted:

Is it just me, or is Miranda possibly the lamest sitcom on TV? Or is it meant to be a clever tribute to old sitcoms and I'm just missing the joke?

While staying with my parents recently I watched it with them (I imagine they're the target demographic) and I asked what exactly about it appealed to them. My dad said he was drawn by the awkwardness of her character, just like how lots of people feel about Peep Show in a weird way. I don't know if that helps.

I'd like to be kind to her and put it down to us just not being the target audience but she really seems to lack any sense of comic timing or joke structure.

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock

Paperhouse posted:

if there was no switch then the guy would have just taken them in the pliers straight from his mouth over to Penn and Teller and shown it was the right card, which I thought they were going to do. When he hosed about in his pocket and the card goes out of sight for a second, there's no reason to do that unless it's a switch

This is exactly my thought too. Why would he place the entirety of his meathook in front of the card on the tongs? It can only mean a switch, if no switch happens there and he genuinely has the correct card already there then it devalues the trick.

It makes zero sense to do this way unless they're A) Actually swapping it out and somehow getting away with it or B) being obvious for the sake of misdirection.

I have to wonder if Penn and Teller get pissed off at people trying certain ways to fool them. They're so polite about every act, but you can tell they don't care for some of them. The quick change act as an example. It seemed like something better suited for Britain's Got Talent and I really hope less of that sort of thing makes an appearance on the show.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ChuckDHead posted:

It's My Family with slightly more risque language so it can get the time slot.
But as Captain Medicore says, its probably aimed at people who liked the comedies in the 1980's like Duty Free and such.

Pity though, she was good in Hyperdrive.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Could you guys post a youtube video or something of the magic act you keep talking about? I've never watched the show but I'm curious about this trick.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

cloudchamber posted:

Could you guys post a youtube video or something of the magic act you keep talking about? I've never watched the show but I'm curious about this trick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_FCDa2Qvhs

Maybe this one?

Cant say, didnt see it but was first for 'Penn Teller Fool Us Swedish'.

Pestilent Liebe
Jun 17, 2004

The mousy girl screams, "Violence! Violence!"

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I've started watching Luther, and while the acting is generally very good, there are more plotholes than Edward J. Olmos' face.

I share your sentiments. I was constantly trying to sort out how Luther came to some of his conclusions, but it's better not to think about it and just enjoy the show for what it is; a gritty crime drama with decent acting. Plus Alice is amazing. I would watch a series about Alice alone and would probably enjoy it more than any Dexter episode.

ChuckDHead posted:

I didn't hate this, but I only started watching it while incredibly bored and sick with nothing else to watch (read, last resort). It's no Ab Fab, but I did like her awkwardness and could relate with that pesky mother of hers.

Then again I'm such an Anglophile I'll watch just about anything in the down time of my favorite shows :gbsmith:.

Pestilent Liebe fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 25, 2011

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

FractionMan posted:

I have to wonder if Penn and Teller get pissed off at people trying certain ways to fool them. They're so polite about every act, but you can tell they don't care for some of them. The quick change act as an example. It seemed like something better suited for Britain's Got Talent and I really hope less of that sort of thing makes an appearance on the show.
They surely must feel a bit irritated by some of it. I mean these guys know so much about magic and how it works, to the extent where I'm sure they must know how pretty much everything they are shown is done, but in front of a camera in a live show they have to pretend they were fooled. Especially with those Swedish guys who obviously switched the card - they said they didn't, and Jonathan Ross was acting all smug saying "they didn't switch it!" and Penn and Teller had to say "well, you fooled us!", but I have no doubt that privately they were positive that it was a switch and were almost certainly annoyed that they had to pretend otherwise.

Similarly in another I saw on youtube, some guy managed to find the four aces again and again after shuffling the cards face down. Penn and Teller said it was very clever, and said his false shuffles were great. The guy said there were no false shuffles, but it's bloody obvious that if you can find the same four cards time and again then you must be controlling them in your shuffles. In the heat of a live show they had to admit they were fooled, but they clearly weren't and I imagine at least one of them could probably perform a similar trick

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Paperhouse posted:

They surely must feel a bit irritated by some of it. I mean these guys know so much about magic and how it works, to the extent where I'm sure they must know how pretty much everything they are shown is done, but in front of a camera in a live show they have to pretend they were fooled. Especially with those Swedish guys who obviously switched the card - they said they didn't, and Jonathan Ross was acting all smug saying "they didn't switch it!" and Penn and Teller had to say "well, you fooled us!", but I have no doubt that privately they were positive that it was a switch and were almost certainly annoyed that they had to pretend otherwise.

My best guess is: when the one guy said "this would be totally appropriate" and hit the second guy, the second guy doubles over, dipping his head down ( blocking the view), and his hands go to his face. I suspect he uses that opportunity to wrangle the card into his mouth somehow.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pestilent Liebe posted:

I share your sentiments. I was constantly trying to sort out how Luther came to some of his conclusions, but it's better not to think about it and just enjoy the show for what it is; a gritty crime drama with decent acting. Plus Alice is amazing. I would watch a series about Alice alone and would probably enjoy it more than any Dexter episode.

I'm three episodes in and absolutely loving it. It's even more absurd than The Shadowline, but it's done with so much conviction I can't help loving it. The early scene in Episode 1 where Luther starts arguing statistics with Alice is probably the best interrogation scene in any crime drama.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Daedo posted:

I don't buy it. You wouldn't take it out of his mouth with tongs and then hold it up later on if the exact card was in his mouth. Him spewing it out, then manipulating it open with his tongue to reveal the card would be a much better finish. Initially I thought they card really was in his mouth, too, shoved in there when he got slapped.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Normally they would taken it out with the tongs and passed it directly to the person without touching it. The only reason they did the fake switch was to win a trip to Vegas.

It was the same thing last week with that lovely Victorian mind reading duo.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I haven't watched this week's Penn and Teller yet but they can't just lie if Penn and Teller guess right because they have to tell the independent adjudicator how the trick works beforehand, who is an experienced magician who is a friend of Penn and Teller and has helped them develop tricks before, so i assume they trust his judgement.

That said, i still think the format of the show, while fun, is flawed because whether two seasoned magicians can tell how a trick is done isn't a good metric for how entertaining or spectacular an act is. As an example, the Cubic Act trick is in my opinion the most captivating trick of the series by far, just because of how well it was performed. It's pretty easy to work out how it's done if you rewatch it (the structure supporting her weight is obscured behind the poll and then his leg), but the first time i saw it i was completely drawn in. However some of the tricks that get through seem to be set up to be obtuse, and get through because Penn and Teller can't guess the exact mechanism used to execute the trick, or worse because they are sort of forced to use their guess on a dirty move like those Victorian mind readers, not because the acts are particularly entertaining or impressive. I understand that part of the draw of the show is to speculate on how the tricks are done and for Penn and Teller to hint at how they work, and i appreciate that ITV have commissioned a show with professional performers instead of the usual talent contest poo poo they spew out, but i think the show would be better if the format was Penn and Teller just chose the best act of the night to go to Vegas.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
I hope there is a clause in the show rules that allows Penn and Teller to, upon hearing the secret to a trick, tell the performers to go and gently caress themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
If anyone hasn't seen Sirens yet, I'd recommend it.