Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

commish posted:

No. Why would you do that?

Because a venerable old Austin attorney I sent a resume to said "Looking at your resume again. I think you should list references, especially your last boss."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007
References take up precious space on your resume!

I always bring a list of my reference to my interview. I figure they don't need to know my references if they aren't going to interview me. Maybe it's this attitude that got me no interviews. ha ha.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Penguins Like Pies posted:

References take up precious space on your resume!

I always bring a list of my reference to my interview. I figure they don't need to know my references if they aren't going to interview me. Maybe it's this attitude that got me no interviews. ha ha.

I just scream "AM I NOT ENOUGH FOR YOU?" and leave.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

gvibes posted:

I talked to another associate here who billed something like 670 hours over the last two months.

On pace for 4000 hours!

People are crazy.

A few years ago, I was a senior associate who didn't make partner when I thought I would, so I went on a round of interviews at other local small firms. I made the cut at one particular firm, and for a third interview, I had lunch with a name partner. The whole lunch was telling me about his (third) divorce that started last year when he hit 4000 hours for the second year in a row. Gee, I wonder why? I got back and sent a polite letter withdrawing my name from consideration.

Oh - by the way - suit BOGO at Men's Wearhouse this weekend. I could die and go to heaven.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Solomon Grundy posted:

A few years ago, I was a senior associate who didn't make partner when I thought I would, so I went on a round of interviews at other local small firms. I made the cut at one particular firm, and for a third interview, I had lunch with a name partner. The whole lunch was telling me about his (third) divorce that started last year when he hit 4000 hours for the second year in a row. Gee, I wonder why? I got back and sent a polite letter withdrawing my name from consideration.

Oh - by the way - suit BOGO at Men's Wearhouse this weekend. I could die and go to heaven.

So he claimed he worked more than 2/3rds of every waking hour for two years straight? That's loving insane.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

evilweasel posted:

So he claimed he worked more than 2/3rds of every waking hour for two years straight? That's loving insane.

I figured he was either lying or insane. Either way I didn't want to work with him.

Bathing Jesus
Aug 26, 2003

Direwolf posted:

Know your Chicago law school pecking order! We're surrounded by inferior institutions, literally blocks away...tainting us with their TTT aura. Remain firm and proud, young Wildcat - the rabble crowd the gates, but at least for the moment (we're #12 now, ughhhh) we are safely ensconced within.

And yes, UChicago's the "better" Chicago school, but god forbid you ever have to talk to any of them. At least we're not douchebags; I know this because our orientation last year was literally "Don't be a shitheel(unlike a certain other law school)", over and over again, and it seems to have stuck. No offense to Chicagoites out there!

We're more quirky aspies than douchebags. I'll definitely give you that the NW Law student body is significantly more attractive than U of C's.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I'm in my 2L summer clerking at a firm. I just got told by the senior partner that my services will no longer be needed after the end of the month because I was billing the firm for my time spent making exhibit copies and calling other attorneys/judges. This came out to less than two hours on my last time sheet. Fired over less than fifty bucks.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Tokelau All Star posted:

I'm in my 2L summer clerking at a firm. I just got told by the senior partner that my services will no longer be needed after the end of the month because I was billing the firm for my time spent making exhibit copies and calling other attorneys/judges. This came out to less than two hours on my last time sheet. Fired over less than fifty bucks.

drat, I didn't realize they monitor things that closely.

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

Tokelau All Star posted:

I don't understand. Because you were billing the firm as opposed to a client? Or because this wasn't supposed to be billable time at all?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

I got told by someone else in the office that I could bill for anything I did directly related to a case. I never knew that didn't include making phone calls and copies that were directly related to a case.

Edit: Yeah, I wasn't supposed to bill for that stuff.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Tokelau All Star posted:

I got told by someone else in the office that I could bill for anything I did directly related to a case. I never knew that didn't include making phone calls and copies that were directly related to a case.

Edit: Yeah, I wasn't supposed to bill for that stuff.

.....ok, what? This makes no sense. Did you explain the confusion? Did they think you were trying to commit a false pretense crime? Please provide more deets.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

I told him my side of the story, but it didn't really matter. My take away is that I'm pretty sure he thinks I was trying to jilt him somehow. Alternatively he could have just been in a bad mood and took it out on the law student. The lady in accounting stuck up for me, then took me aside afterward and basically told me that this office sucks but the staff/other attorneys tolerate it because of the head guy's name and reputation.

The guy never said a complete sentence to me all summer before that. I'm really offended but I know there's nothing I can do about it. The other attorneys in the office, the people I actually talk to and do projects for, are telling me that I'm doing good work so at least I can get some future reference listings from some of them.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Tokelau All Star posted:

The guy never said a complete sentence to me all summer before that. I'm really offended but I know there's nothing I can do about it. The other attorneys in the office, the people I actually talk to and do projects for, are telling me that I'm doing good work so at least I can get some future reference listings from some of them.

Oh well, don't you start school in August anyway? It sucks that you obviously won't be working there when you graduate, but at least you can use the other attorneys that you worked under as references.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Tokelau All Star posted:

I told him my side of the story, but it didn't really matter. My take away is that I'm pretty sure he thinks I was trying to jilt him somehow. Alternatively he could have just been in a bad mood and took it out on the law student. The lady in accounting stuck up for me, then took me aside afterward and basically told me that this office sucks but the staff/other attorneys tolerate it because of the head guy's name and reputation.

This is called "a made up reason not to hire you because I'm a douche".

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce

Tokelau All Star posted:

What? If I'm calling anybody on my client's behalf, drat right he's getting billed for it.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Tokelau All Star posted:

Yeah, that's a bullshit reason. You were doing client/matter related actions that went to help the client's case. You are supposed to mark those as billables. Whoever the supervising attorney is for the client/matter would probably dock some (or all) of those hours - especially since you are just a summer clerk - but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be billing it in the first place.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I don't think they were billable hours, sounds like he was paying out of pocket for copying poo poo and had the firm pay him back, partner got pissed off and fired him.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blar posted:

I went to law school and took a federal job that is probably around your paygrade. You might not realize it but you are an idiot if you leave your federal job for the "opportunity" of law school. Pay your union dues, apply to internal postings at other agencies if you are bored, and put money into TSP. All those benefits I just mentioned (including health insurance) are not going to be available to you if you don't land a nice legal job.

If you really want to go then use your leave time to study for the LSAT and come back here with your score. Give up on your dreams if you score less than 165.

Here's what I might recommend if he's really going to do it. Night school, preferably on scholarship. Keep that government job. Keep the debt to none or low.
It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world except for the lack of free time for 4 years.
Quitting a secure job for law school is a terrible idea unless maybe you get into HYS.

Solomon Grundy posted:

I'm unemployed, and I still wouldn't wear a Men's Wearhouse suit.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

diospadre posted:

I don't think they were billable hours, sounds like he was paying out of pocket for copying poo poo and had the firm pay him back, partner got pissed off and fired him.

This happened too. The other half was putting phone calls that I made regarding cases on my time sheet. Are those legit reasons for the partner to get pissed and let me go? On my time sheet I write "client name - what I did - 0.1" etc, and give that to accounting, they handle the client billing from that point.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

No, asking to be paid back for expenses you incur while working (unless you're a teacher) and writing down what you did are things you should be doing, the partner is an rear end in a top hat.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

diospadre posted:

No, asking to be paid back for expenses you incur while working (unless you're a teacher) and writing down what you did are things you should be doing, the partner is an rear end in a top hat.

Yeah. What you did they are legally required to pay you for. You were doing work for a for profit company. That partner has some serious issues.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Roger_Mudd posted:

This is called "a made up reason not to hire you because I'm a douche".

This is correct, along with an added helping of, "I'm a pathetic alpha male wanna be who cannot admit weakness (my firm is too loving pathetic to be able to float another full time associate) so I'm going to get my rocks off making something up to break someone over."

Cordyceps
May 16, 2011

Solomon Grundy posted:

I'm gonna like the way I look

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Tokelau All Star posted:

It sounds like you're talking about reimbursements but in terms of billing, while you can bill for anything, there is a trick as to what you can put down on your time sheets. I bill for saving and printing documents, for example, but if I put down "save and print documents" - my time will end up being questioned by the client and probably written off. Instead I "review and analyze" the documents. I can't imagine phone calls ever not being legit unless you were told not to bill for something, which does happen sometimes to summers, but things like making copies often need to be worded some other way. Not a reason to fire someone their 2L summer though - billing takes some time to get used to.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

hairypanis posted:

Any New Zealand lawyergoons out there?

This thread is scaring me well off law school, but I'm not sure how much of it is applicable to the New Zealand market?

Not a lawyer but as per usual, if you are loving brilliant at law school you will get hired for sure. Do honours.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Thanks everyone. I think the other attorneys were kind of assuming that I was gonna be sticking around too because just this week they put me to work on a massive trust dispute. "I'm so glad you're here T.A.S. to work on this" etc. Sorry I can't help more guys, got poo poo-canned.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Jesus Christ, I thought you had to get roaring drunk, gently caress a secretary, and piss on a partner's car to get fired as a summer clerk.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

diospadre posted:

Even this doesn't make sense, though. I see what you're saying from how it was worded, but that still isn't a reason to fire someone. Funds the firm itself reimburses can be and frequently are subsequently billed to the client (as you undoubtedly know). I can't think of a scenario where, if they weren't out to fire him, they would actually let him go because of somehow bungling the financial side of a copying job. Maybe he was pissing on the partner's car while copying and, being not as good at multitasking as he thought, the mismanagement occurred.

HooKars posted:

Instead I "review and analyze" the documents.
Review, analyze, draft, organize, prepare, contact, assist and attend. I think these eight action verbs were all I ever used as a not-lawyer in my billables. Generalized action verb + specific direct object = money. But "review and analyze" was at least half of my work. It just covers so drat much.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Green Crayons posted:

Even this doesn't make sense, though. I see what you're saying from how it was worded, but that still isn't a reason to fire someone. Funds the firm itself reimburses can be and frequently are subsequently billed to the client (as you undoubtedly know). I can't think of a scenario where, if they weren't out to fire him, they would actually let him go because of somehow bungling the financial side of a copying job. Maybe he was pissing on the partner's car while copying and, being not as good at multitasking as he thought, the mismanagement occurred.

Well I'm just going to take Tokelau at face value and assume what he said is true and the whole story, the partner is basically a psychotic rear end in a top hat.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Let's analyze the post to see what the real story is because a partner being a psychotic rear end in a top hat could never happen.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Tokelau All Star posted:

Thanks everyone. I think the other attorneys were kind of assuming that I was gonna be sticking around too because just this week they put me to work on a massive trust dispute. "I'm so glad you're here T.A.S. to work on this" etc. Sorry I can't help more guys, got poo poo-canned.

Did you at least copy all of his form motion templates, letterheads, and appeals onto a USB drive? That would be a good parting gift in case you need to start out on your own.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Tokelau All Star posted:

I'm in my 2L summer clerking at a firm.

I'm just curious - how big is the firm?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Maybe the partner's just upset because he's in trouble for modifying mortgages at his last firm and he took it out on you. :(

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

blar posted:

Did you at least copy all of his form motion templates, letterheads, and appeals onto a USB drive? That would be a good parting gift in case you need to start out on your own.

This is a good idea. I still have every motion, memo, pretrial statement etc I did this summer saved to my gmail account as well. I'm still there for another week, no way I'm leaving early and missing out on another paycheck. In the office there are about 15 attorneys, about the same amount of staff, and me and another kid as summer clerks but he moved to another state a couple weeks ago.

There really isn't much more to the story. I didn't show up to work drunk or piss on anyone's car. I'm not really upset anymore, since I know I can't do anything about it. It's a good lesson in how lovely this profession can be, and yet another reminder that I should have taken the MCAT instead of the LSAT.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
A question for current law or prelaw students - the site Student Doctor Network is one of the more prominent public forums for pre-med students. While pre-meds can be pretty detestable on their own, here they're concentrated and able to serve as their own echo chamber, which leads to a more or less constant stream of flipping the gently caress out about test scores, grades, the menace of nurse practitioners, and minorities (among other topics). Is there a law school equivalent?

Ganon
May 24, 2003
here

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Is xoxohth no longer top dog?

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Still at Army JAG School in Charlottesville. This town is kind of boring. I went to visit Monticello and toured the Star Hill Brewery and that about covers everything there is to do that isn't "get blind drunk and attempt to gently caress women who graduated from high school last year", which plenty of my colleagues seem to be into.

Currently sipping Laphroaig and grilling steaks on my patio, which isn't BAD, but could certainly be done in Chicago.

Also, this current crop of JAG commissionees is hilariously reflective of the economy's effect on applications to the JAG Corps. We have so many people here who went to places like Columbia, Georgetown, Duke, etc. who are quite obviously slumming and are completely baffled that they've actually joined the military and are complaining to our Commander about things like the maids at our hotels not leaving fresh towels out or their squad leader calling on the weekend to remind them about PT on Monday morning.

I love this job, but it's like my colleagues are a collection of all the lily-white wannabe gunners from every law school in the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

gret posted:

Is xoxohth no longer top dog?

TLS and SDN are very similar to each other. XOXO is more like the 4Chan of the legal world. I'm not aware of a medical equivalent of XOXO.

Defleshed posted:

I love this job, but it's like my colleagues are a collection of all the lily-white wannabe gunners from every law school in the country.

Hate to burst your bubble, but not every T13er in the JAG Corp is there because they couldn't get a job somewhere else.

For example, the Army and Navy TJAGs, and the Air Force DJAG.

HiddenReplaced fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 24, 2011