Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
I switched from Canon to Nikon and haven't picked up a macro lens yet, but I'm using a cheapo 70-300 + Raynox DCR-250 and get pretty good results.

Magicicada, Brood 19. Tennessee had a bit of an invasion of them about two months ago. It was an awesome three weeks.

This one is a stack of 4 images, handheld:

Robber Fly:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jook
Jul 16, 2002
^^ That robber fly shot is incredible.. did you use a flash and if so how did you diffuse?

-

Finally got to try out my Tamron 90 a bit more. I realized I need a lot more practice, so many missed shots. Maybe I should find some slower subjects.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Jook posted:

^^ That robber fly shot is incredible.. did you use a flash and if so how did you diffuse?

Thanks!

Actually funny you should ask because yeah I did use flash, but just the popup flash. A few days prior I came across this guy's DIY Flash diffuser directions and out of boredom and having an empty pringles can around I figured what the hell, I'd see what kind of results it gave. It worked quite well, surprisingly. :) Looks crazy but I guess so does digging around in my yard taking pictures of bugs. I ended up wrapping black tape around the can so it wasn't so outrageous.

Jook posted:

Cool catch! For me anyways, bees are very tough subjects to properly shoot so I certainly wouldn't expect a high keeper ratio when it comes to them. Same with most larger flying insects, though I've had good luck with wasps when they're distracted chewing wood or cardboard off my deck.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
More, almost macro stuff:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Cross-posting from SAD

Little white beetle by alkanphel, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Spiders are awesome.

DSC_0375.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0362.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Didn't even see this guy until I looked at my pictures later.

DSC_0413.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

And he was just floating in the air.

DSC_0408.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Went out to shoot some macro today.

The little ant that could on Flickr

Fluffy Bee on Flickr

Untitled on Flickr

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Hay guyz, can I play too? :awesome:

Got my 70-200mm F4L today :dance: Can't wait to try it out in the field! The working distance is so much nicer than with the 17-55mm kit lens!

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 21, 2011

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I am very new to photography in general, but really attracted to macro images and want to try this without having to spend hundreds of Euros on a lens. Most of what I will play around with are bugs out in the garden to see if I like this, nothing serious. The reversing rings seem like a good way to discover macro on the cheap, but there is one thing I don't understand.

Should I mount my 18-55 or 55-200 lens while taking macro pictures with such a ring?

Normally the 55-250 allows me to shoot from a bigger distance, but does the reversing ring make it so that the 18-55 now actually gets the target closer because the zoom gets inverted, like looking backwards through binoculars?

Also, with AF not working I take it Image Stabilization is also not available?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

This is one I took a while back. I'd like to do some other macro stuff.

Do you guys use ring flashes or anything?

Raspberry by Justyn with a Y!, on Flickr

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

eggsovereasy posted:

This is one I took a while back. I'd like to do some other macro stuff.

Do you guys use ring flashes or anything?

Raspberry by Justyn with a Y!, on Flickr

I use a Canon SpeedLite with a cheap diffusor and a wireless trigger. I guess that a ringflash is great for quick handheld shots, but an external flash will make you more flexible when designing your lighting.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

You could always get one of those ring adaptors from ray flash or orbis if you like the ring flash look.

Speaking of lighting, what do you guys do for lighting setups? I have a couple speedlites and I'm still trying to figure out a good way to light for macro.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 22, 2011

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
We talked about lighting a couple of pages ago. Regarding ring flashes: if you don't want flat images, don't use them. Well, I guess you can adjust the power of the individual lights or even shut one or two down, but if you have money to spend why go for the inferior option? Get a twin flash.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Man, I'm getting tired of bees and the like :v: Still, that shot came out pretty interesting. The weather was pretty bad so I had to shoot wide open, with super-shallow DOF.

Untitled on Flickr

Maverique
Apr 25, 2010
So if I was to attach let's say an 85mm lens to my 5D with a reverser I could do macro... cheaply?! Surely this cannot be true. Nothing in photography is cheap. I'd just finished wrapping my head round teleconverters :crossarms:

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Maverique posted:

So if I was to attach let's say an 85mm lens to my 5D with a reverser I could do macro... cheaply?! Surely this cannot be true. Nothing in photography is cheap. I'd just finished wrapping my head round teleconverters :crossarms:

A few pages back I was told to buy an extension tube to get into macro photography on the cheap. I ordered a three-ring extension tube set off amazon for about €60 and it works great so far with anything above 55mm. It even has contacts that enable IS and autofocus (to a certain degree) on the lenses.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Maverique posted:

Don't know how the FF would factor in in terms of vignetting, but yeah, either that or extension tubes.

edit- yeah, that ^^^^

AlienApeBoy
Jul 11, 2005
Ape
Amused myself at my in-laws yesterday with some macro shots from my Canon P&S:

Hemaris thysbe (weird bug that looks like it was conceived when a hummingbird, a moth, and a lobster had a 3-way):

Creepy stone mask:

About 30 more, w/ lots of obligatory bee/butterfly shots: http://creeper1313.imgur.com/7232011#Dj6Wd

AlienApeBoy fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 24, 2011

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Cross-posting from SAD

Hitch-hiker by alkanphel, on Flickr

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Hey OP (or anyone else), I received my Sigma 105mm macro yesterday and this is a really weird lens. :haw: It seems sharp, but the autofocus is pretty bad and sometimes misses the target by a hair, even though it says it has focused successfully. Also, is it really not possible to attach the lens cap when the lens hood is put on?!

Either way, I'm really looking forward to take it into the woods/fields for some insect shooting. Is there anything I should know to use the lens to its best potential? Do you use a flash often? From testing the lens at home for a couple of minutes it seems that the DOF below f8 is way too shallow for even a small bug.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

FLX posted:

Hey OP (or anyone else), I received my Sigma 105mm macro yesterday and this is a really weird lens. :haw: It seems sharp, but the autofocus is pretty bad and sometimes misses the target by a hair, even though it says it has focused successfully. Also, is it really not possible to attach the lens cap when the lens hood is put on?!

Either way, I'm really looking forward to take it into the woods/fields for some insect shooting. Is there anything I should know to use the lens to its best potential? Do you use a flash often? From testing the lens at home for a couple of minutes it seems that the DOF below f8 is way too shallow for even a small bug.
I haven't used the Sigma macro lens before but if you're shooting macro so close, you best use manual focus otherwise your AF will just be hunting endlessly. I don't use a flash either but most ppl do use it to freeze motion or provide better illumination when they go bug-hunting in the wee morning.

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006
I own the Sigma 105mm lens, and am pretty happy with it. You need to use it in MF, you can use AF if the lights really good and there is no wind, it does hunt around a lot. Having an external flash really helps with macro stuff. I don't think I could have gotten this shot without it.

Katydid by Adam McCarthy, on Flickr

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Took the Sigma out on a trip into the park. I'm slowly getting the hang of it. It's a bit strange. When I started macro photography with an extension tube, a flash and the f5.6 kit lens, I felt right at home and got great results. With the Sigma though, I feel that getting used to it takes a lot longer.

Grasshopper-Thing on Flickr

EDIT:
Snapped a lucky picture just now. f11, 1/200, ISO 100, using the camera's internal flash:

Cicada on Flickr

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 2, 2011

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Crossposting because my question should have been put here anyway:

I just bought the Velbom macro slider, both because of the good reviews and because it is insanely cheap compared to others I've been reading up on.

Question for those who have used it though: Is this rail easy enough to use when going beyond 1:1 magnification?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Bought some extension tubes for :20bux:. Couldn't really shoot bugs with they don't have aperture or focus control so I shot some strawberry baskets to use as abstract color studys.

Macro that isn't bugs :aaa:

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I also got some extension tubes in, and I really like cliche shots of flowers :blush:

Mom's Lilies by bernsai, on Flickr

Mom's Garden by bernsai, on Flickr

Mom's Garden by bernsai, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I'm going to have to get some tubes soon, maybe a flash as well.

DSC_0606.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

DSC_0474.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Jook
Jul 16, 2002

TheLastManStanding posted:

Macro that isn't bugs :aaa:

This is really cool.. well worth the 20!

I found this little guy when I went to grab something in the closet today -- he's atop a clothes hanger.. jumpers are way too cool, I wish I could have gotten a shot of him rearing up at me.

half-a-day later edit: pretty happy with this and some other shots I've been taken with a new DIY flash diffuser.. Ikea, 4 bucks.

Jook fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 15, 2011

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Flower macro!

Botanic Gardens 3-14 by alkanphel, on Flickr

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

TheLastManStanding posted:

Bought some extension tubes for :20bux:. Couldn't really shoot bugs with they don't have aperture or focus control so I shot some strawberry baskets to use as abstract color studys.

These are very agreeable. I thought they were images taken through a microscope until I read the blurb.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

My mp3 player broke, so I decided to take some pictures of its mobo!

Comparison for size:

And the focus stack:

Mp3 Player interior mobo by Abnegātus, on Flickr

First time testing out my Velbon rail, and I like the result. I need to add a a ruler to it however.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Nothing too special photo-wise but I just wanted to take this opportunity to brag about my new gear:

I just picked up a Canon 100mm f/2.8L and it's a loving amazing lens.

IMG_2349.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

It's my first IS lens too, wandering around the house clicking usable pics off at 1/10 sec is blowing my goddamned mind.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

^ The Canon 100L is truly a magnificent lens!

Adding some more flower macros (crossposting from SAD)

Botanic Gardens 3-15 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Botanic Gardens 3-16 by alkanphel, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
cross-posted from the critterquest thread

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
Playing around with cheap chinese extension tubes:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A couple more I put up on Critterquest

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Found an imperial moth by my apartment door this evening, so out came the 60mm micro.

On one hand, I like the texture and color I got. On the other hand, I'm reminded why I don't shoot much macro these days, having to get within a few inches of a subject with this lens isn't so fun.

Eacles imperialis by photon_catcher, on Flickr

Jook
Jul 16, 2002
Some incredible shots from everyone.. I really like the stickbug and moth.

I have a Tamron 90mm but wanted to get in a bit closer so I was considering a Raynox DCR-250 but instead found a Tamron 2x teleconverter for nearly the same price.. I'm having a lot of fun with it. One question though about the tele - with the camera showing f11.. is that really f11? Do I need to compensate by going 2 stops higher (f14) to get the same dof as I'd get without the tele?

Here's a few shots from today

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Jook posted:

half-a-day later edit: pretty happy with this and some other shots I've been taken with a new DIY flash diffuser.. Ikea, 4 bucks.

Cool. Do you have other shots taken with the diffuser? Thanks for the link. Will have to try it out when IKEA opens here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jook
Jul 16, 2002

Ringo R posted:

Cool. Do you have other shots taken with the diffuser? Thanks for the link. Will have to try it out when IKEA opens here.

nothing decent, sorry.. after thinking about it a bit I believe it worked so well with that jumping spider because it was inside a closet (multiple walls/close ceiling) so there was a lot of bounce. It's still great material for diffusing though and I plan to try to work it into my new lovely setup which is now using a paper towel on a cut up pringles can - bracket/diffuser inspired by this.

Shot this today with that setup. I believe this is a fruit fly, about 1/4th the size of a regular house fly. It's sitting on a bicycle wheel spoke.