Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
Anyone have some tips for 5 Days a Stranger? I just started playing it and already feel like I'm out of options. I don't want to be told exactly what to do, just some general tips would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I have Red Faction: Armaggedon and Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon coming in a day or two. Any tips for these?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Bloodly posted:

It's unlikely,but we live in hope. I recent got hold of Lords of Magic: Special Edition from GoG.com. I'm...a little lost. It's fun, but I can't help the feeling I'm Doing It Wrong.

Maybe one of you has advice?

Advice? Delete it.

Lords of Magic is a clusterfuck of bugs, poor game design, and awful game balance. It tries to be an RPG and a 4X game at the same time, and fails at both. I bought it day-of-release, and although that was over ten years ago, three things stick in my mind...

1) Load times for battles were over a minute, before and after the battle.

2) "You" were a unit who could lead troops... except you can't manage many aspects of your kingdom unless your unit is in your main city.

3) I once took my starting party, walked right into the Big Baddie's fortress and killed him.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Just started playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI.

What should I be doing with my cities in terms of building development? What's a good strategy or rule of thumbs in terms of recruiting officers? Are there abilities in battles that I should be focusing on or ignoring?

The game seems to have a lot going on with it in terms of options, I'm getting overwhelmed a bit.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Electrical Fire posted:

Anyone have some tips for 5 Days a Stranger? I just started playing it and already feel like I'm out of options. I don't want to be told exactly what to do, just some general tips would be nice.

Use adventure game logic. Use everything on everything else.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Ainsley McTree posted:

Just started playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI.

What should I be doing with my cities in terms of building development? What's a good strategy or rule of thumbs in terms of recruiting officers? Are there abilities in battles that I should be focusing on or ignoring?

The game seems to have a lot going on with it in terms of options, I'm getting overwhelmed a bit.

I'm kind of curious about this one, too. I would like to hear how other people approached ROTK-XI. You'll have to forgive me as it's been awhile since I played this one and 90% of my ROTK gaming has been from ROTK-VII and I tend to get that game's skills confused.

-Completing the tutorial will unlock more officers.

-When you're recruiting, the quickest way is to send an officer to different provinces around your nation. Use the "search" option and this will reveal recruitable officers. The game is very good about tossing them around, especially early on, and they will move around the map after x amount of time.

-Alternatively you can recruit officers by hiring them from another Liege. It's best to build a relationship with them first and then you should spread rumors in order to lower their loyalty -- only do this when the officers are marching or not in the city. It's not an easy thing to do most of the time, though.

-For your techniques, research +Command early on to get Veteran Troops. Only pick one troop mastery early on and only if you have a lot of those types of troops (+Spear/+Pikes/+Bows), don't spread it out. +Calvary is so-so and doesn't improve on your units as much as the others -- it's not horrible but it's not a must have. +Defense is also good once you're further in the game (grants more base hp). +Engineering for Catapults, too.

-Focus on Markets when you first start a game until you reach around 15-20k gold. You will want to just keep everything in check and make sure nothing drops steadily (like Order).

-A rule of thumb is to balance your troop numbers more than anything when you're having some downtime. Keep them fed and buy food when necessary. The game is notorious for attacking bases with low populations at the worse possible times. Also stacking a lot of units near a neutral force could entice them into battle -- be careful when you do this early on.

-When you conquer a city always stock it as fast as you can unless you know it will be compromised.

-Let the AI handle your inner districts while you focus on your borders. Use the District menu to do this.

-Abuse Ceasefires when you need them and always have alliances.

-Know what units are strong versus other units in combat. If you're being attacked flank them with the appropriate unit type. Also abuse forests when available for cover from archers.

-More combat skills unlock once you beat the game. Chain->Raid->Exterminate is good overall. Confuse is also fantastic when you can use it.

-In a Duel if you have a ton of War just use Attack, it will almost always win just by bashing on someone. Alternatively use Spirit if you're a lot weaker.

-Debates are pretty random. Calm and Rage activate on their own if I'm remembering this right.

Edited for grammarrr

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 22, 2011

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

Artix74 posted:

First SMT title? Oh goodie, I love these.

- First and foremost, all that poo poo you usually disregard in RPGs like buffs, weaknesses, etc. because they're really not that important? You will get curbstomped if you so much as try that poo poo here. Treat every fight like you could be wiped by it, because there is a very real chance that it could happen. Always go for weaknesses, and don't be afraid to go for status effects or put up a buff when necessary.

- Like all (or at least most) SMT titles, if the main character ever dies, that's it: Game over. And yes, there will be lots of instant death spells flying around, so having a weakness to light or dark is a terrible, terrible idea. There are single use items called Homoculous that will save you, but your party members will use them up if they get hit too, so best not to rely on them period.

- Don't get attached to your Personae. They take a long time to level up, and you're meant to get a good one for the dungeon, and then fuse them into something better once they start lagging. You can register then in the Compendium to resummon them for a fee, so they're not gone forever.

- What skills the Persona will inherit from fusion is randomized. By going back and forth you can change which skills it picks up, but bear in mind certain skills are just never going to show up depending on the Persona's properties. For example, Jack Frost is never going to inherit an Agi (fire) spell, no matter how long you try for it.

- The naming scheme of spells might throw you off at first, but it's pretty easy. "Ma-" as a prefix means it hits everyone. "Agi," "Bufu," "Garu," and "Zio" are your four basic elements of Fire, Ice, Wind, Electric (in that order), and "-la" and "-dyne" as suffixes are more powerful versions (think Fire -> Fira -> Firaga). So, "Mabufula" is a mid level ice spell that hits all enemies, and Garudyne is a high level Wind spell that hits one target. "Dia" is your healing, and "Hama" and "Mudo" are your light and dark spells, both of which are instant kill (in this game, at least)

Specifically for Persona 4:

- Don't worry about maxing all your social links in one cycle. Go with whatever, and on the New Game+ you can follow a guide if you really want to max everything.

- Get at least one level in all your party members' social links, because that will allow them to save you from a fatal blow once per battle. Going further will unlock additional benefits like follow-up attacks, and maxing their link will lead to something special and very useful.

- Two social links will be cut off in November, while the main game goes until just after Christmas. If you're doing them, don't delay too much on those two. (I believe it's Hierophant and Justice, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong)

- If you ever run out of steam in a dungeon, just use a Goho-M (you can buy them from the shop). It'll teleport you out and then you can resume on the same floor you left on when you come back.

- The hermit social link is a bit of a pain at times, but max it out as soon as you can. It'll drop the cost of recovering your MP from something ludicrous like 54 yen per 1 MP down to something like 6 yen per 1 MP after maxing it. The only other way to restore MP while questing is by going home for the day or chugging down MP items, which are either very rare or they only restore 5 MP at a time.

I just ordered P4 on amazon and as someone who never plays rpgs, especially jrpgs, this sounds very daunting lol.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Electrical Fire posted:

Well, you didn't post where exactly you got stuck, but two possible solutions:

1. You can tell other people to follow you. Some puzzles require cooperation.

2. Inventory messing around. Just because you have something sharp doesn't mean it can function as a sharp thing until it's properly established as the right form of sharp thing.

3. Play Trilby's notes instead, it's the only good game in the series (and retcons the plot of this game into something non-stupid)

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Orvin posted:

Red Faction: Armaggedon

Use the lock on feature as much as possible if you're using traditional guns, as the main enemies of the games scamper about on walls in a random fashion which makes traditional aiming almost impossible.

Every building and structure you destroy can be repaired at will by using the magic nanobots on the area where it used to stand, so don't worry about destroying a bridge or staircase that you need to use to progress.

The magnet gun is the best thing from any game ever, and if you learn to use it well you can take down pretty much anything without sparing ammo. Best way to use it is to put the first node on a destructible rock or building, and the second node on an enemy or behind a bunch of enemies. The rock/rubble will then crush the enemies or at the very lease knock them away and do damage to them so they'll be less of a problem.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

MisterBibs posted:

OT, but my #1 beef with Evil Genius is that it takes a great idea - Play Dungeon Keeper But As A Bond Villain instead Of Sauron - and keeps all of the Incompetent James Bond Villain Cliches intact for you to have to deal with.

While it utterly breaks the difficulty of the game, I've found that adjusting Super Agent health to extremely low levels gives the game a strong "James Bond is powerful only when his enemy is an idiot" vibe that I find fits the game well. In an unmodded game, the Rambo-inspired Super Agent kills hoards of minions, just like the Rambo films. In my own modded game, that steroid-infused grunt is shot from behind with a hidden machine gun, falls down confused, wakes up, takes a few steps before being shot again, falls down again, in an endless loop till he goes home.
You can set up a Super Agent "Kill Room" full of cages and about 4 rows of turrets. As soon as one breaks out, he gets disintegrated by turrets and falls down. Keep a minion stationed there at a desk and he'll get put right back in.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Illumination posted:

I just ordered P4 on amazon and as someone who never plays rpgs, especially jrpgs, this sounds very daunting lol.

Unless you have an aversion to things that are (for lack of a better word) Japan-y, you'll enjoy it. The story is great, the art direction is phenomenal, and the voice acting isn't terrible (which is unfortunately the best compliment that can be given to the voice acting in an Atlus game).

The whole time I played the game, I kept forgetting that at the particular school The Protagonist goes to, classes are held on Saturdays.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Mayor McCheese posted:

I'm kind of curious about this one, too. I would like to hear how other people approached ROTK-XI. You'll have to forgive me as it's been awhile since I played this one and 90% of my ROTK gaming has been from ROTK-VII and I tend to get that game's skills confused.

I've added these to the wiki - could anyone else who's familiar with the game look them over and tell me if any of them need changing? Just because Mayor hasn't played in a while and some of the tips may be a bit off.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Illumination posted:

It's not nearly as bad as it sounds. The game does a fairly good job of easing you into things, and as long as you use some common sense, you'll be fine.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Electrical Fire posted:

I can guess with 99% probability where you're stuck. Without spoiling anything plot related or telling you exactly what to do, there are two things that are difficult to spot (I'll spoil them anyway in case you really don't want to look at them)

-you can interact with the tree in the courtyard
-There's a backyard east of the pool but no graphical cues that it actually exists

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Orvin posted:

I have Red Faction: Armaggedon

Additionally to what was already posted - use grenade launcher/shotgun/magnet gun/explosives and not the freaking machinegun. I saw a Giant Bomb Quicklook of this game where they said that it's kinda boring and there's no destruction...while using the stupid machinegun exclusively which chips enemy health really slowly and doesn't cause anything to explode. That was really pathetic - I could see how many people were discouraged by that video for wrong reasons. Seriously, the same enemies they're fighting there can be taken out with 1-2 shotgun shots or grenade planted on the head. I have never seen anybody play this game as retarded as them but from other reviews I know they don't like using shotguns in other games either :psyduck:. Don't be like those guys.

Also shoot at explosive barrels - the game is pretty intense and only after some time I realized I regularly left those things just standing there because I was focusing on enemies too much.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Brocktoon posted:

Can someone explain the investment system in the PC version of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and whether or not it is worth paying attention to?

I've made gently caress-all money from it, but you get items that you can use for the shop quests at certain milestones. Basically, stop investing in a specific store once you get all 3 items from it, unless you're trying to get a shrunken head, in which case keep investing in whatever store lets you pour the most money into it (usually the bank next to your hideout). It's incredibly slow compared to looting bandits and finding treasure chests, but if you keep plugging away at it while you do sidequests and stuff it'll make the shop quests more manageable.

Once you've done the shop quests (or if you just want to use an FAQ and get everything for them from treasure chests) you can pretty much ignore the investing.

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
What should I know before I play Bad Company 2 online? I feel like I should actually play some multiplayer, but I heard that you don't start out with a lot of poo poo that you want, and I have no idea how I could be effective.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Demostrs posted:

What should I know before I play Bad Company 2 online? I feel like I should actually play some multiplayer, but I heard that you don't start out with a lot of poo poo that you want, and I have no idea how I could be effective.

Yeah you are at a disadvantage for both class unlocks and level perks starting out. All classes have their use. You can start with Recon and just throw motion mines for easy XP, or get a few levels for Medic and just toss medpacks and revives (easily the best 2 ways to get XP per game)

Don't forget to spot people! (Back/Select button when your crosshair is over an enemy) It's another way to get points and help your team.

Shotguns are really good.

Really you don't even have to kill people to get tons of XP in Battlefield.

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

Artix74 posted:

It's not nearly as bad as it sounds. The game does a fairly good job of easing you into things, and as long as you use some common sense, you'll be fine.

Haha, good to know. Thanks

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

The magnet gun is the best thing from any game ever, and if you learn to use it well you can take down pretty much anything without sparing ammo. Best way to use it is to put the first node on a destructible rock or building, and the second node on an enemy or behind a bunch of enemies. The rock/rubble will then crush the enemies or at the very lease knock them away and do damage to them so they'll be less of a problem.

To add to this there are a few enemies in the game that are normally very difficult to kill but if you use the magnet gun you can toss them off cliffs.

Also throwing cultists and cultists NEVER gets old.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Demostrs posted:

Kill people. The beginning guns are awful but the shotguns are pretty good. You unlock things per-class so keep at playing a certain class. I hate conquest because it's long and boring but I love rush. Oasis is the best map by far.

Assult gets burst fire assult rifles and a greande launcher, medic gets light machine guns and heal/revive, engineer gets silenced SMGS with vehicle heal/rocket launcher, and recon gets sniper rifles(there's semiauto, bolt action, and auto snipers)/c4 or mortar/spotting mines.

People consider medic cheap because a lot of people play it for the LMG and not for the healing, it pisses people off. Assault is good but i don't get why people play it, the grenade launcher isn't that overpowered and the other classes are equally effective at killing people. The engineer is great because it can take out vehicles, and recon is awesome when you unlock the T88/SVU as they are both hilarious at close/medium range. There's global shotgun unlocks (and a thompson/M14 but the thompson sucks and i don't even have the m14).

Play what you want, really. It's up to your playstyle. At the early levels it's really just using what you've unlocked until you get the "good" perks and "good" guns. Also the damage/accuracy stats in-game are inaccurate, look them up.

E: also you get a comical amount of points for killing vehicles, unlike BF2 and other games. Heal/resupply/spotting give you point boosts too. It's a game that gives you a comical advantage when you help your teammates (and people STILL DON'T DO IT)

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 22, 2011

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Gynovore posted:

Advice? Delete it.

Lords of Magic is a clusterfuck of bugs, poor game design, and awful game balance. It tries to be an RPG and a 4X game at the same time, and fails at both. I bought it day-of-release, and although that was over ten years ago, three things stick in my mind...

The special edition fixed the bugs

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Demostrs posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcZ3wXF3r14

This guy gives some good starter advice - I didn't find his "style" annoying, but you might.

I think the biggest help you can be to your team is to use Back/Select/Q to spot enemies, so that your team can see them marked on their HUD.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

al-azad posted:

I can guess with 99% probability where you're stuck. Without spoiling anything plot related or telling you exactly what to do, there are two things that are difficult to spot (I'll spoil them anyway in case you really don't want to look at them)

-you can interact with the tree in the courtyard
-There's a backyard east of the pool but no graphical cues that it actually exists

I had actually managed to find the extra back yard part. My problem was

I tried to take the book containing the map of the property before talking to Phil, and didn't think to try again after.

Thanks though, I'm making progress now.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Other than "don't play it", does anyone have any advice for Record of Agarest War (the one for download on PSN, not Zero)? It looks like, if you get past the creepiness of it, it could be an interesting game, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Palleon posted:

Other than "don't play it", does anyone have any advice for Record of Agarest War (the one for download on PSN, not Zero)? It looks like, if you get past the creepiness of it, it could be an interesting game, so I'm going to give it a shot.

From Hardcore Gaming 101:

"A key point of the game is the ability to capture monsters. To do this you need to learn the Capture Skill. To learn this skill you first need to know what it is, and to know what it is you need to own the Essential Arts IV book. This can be traded at the Guild for 75 TP, which is an extremely precious currency you earn from battles. You'll also need gold - except it's physically impossible to earn enough gold through battles to complete the game. So every so often you need to spend 25 TP buying a Vessel of Life to be sold for 50k gold. Once you have the book you can research the Capture Skill at the guild, requiring 3000 gold, plus a Longhorn, Shotgun and Poison Guard. These items can only be had at the Smithy, who will alchemize them if you bring several items plus more gold.

Before he can alchemize weapons though you need to bring him basic weapons books, so back to the guild to trade them for TP and then to the item store to buy the rest. In fact before anything can be researched or made, you'll need the books for the corresponding items or skills - and there are over 100 books throughout the game. Once the Smithy knows how to make the above items you'll need to bring him the following: iron break, handgun, horn of devilkin x 2, beast claw, bone guard, poison petal, poison needle, plus 1750G. Some items can be bought, others are item drops, while a few have to in themselves be alchemized, assuming you have the right books. Then it's back to the guild to trade for your Capture Skill. Except once you've got the skill you discover it's useless without another skill which reduces enemy health to only 1HP, and that can only be had through the exact same rigmarole as above. Cue uncontrollable screaming."

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Palleon posted:

Oh boy, this game. I would suggest you use this site to learn weapon/spell combos: http://agarest.wikia.com/wiki/Combination_Attacks

I would list them but there's far too many.

Also when you're crafting something there's a chance for "failure" and the result could be a better item. Once you're crafting the first set of swords make like 10 and save scum until you get something nice (it's random for the most part, and you can get some fantastic gear). You can keep doing this. This will make the game a little bit more tolerable early on.

Finally download the free stuff from PSN. All of it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Orvin posted:

I have Red Faction: Armaggedon and Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon coming in a day or two. Any tips for these?

- If you don't open the shrink wrap, you can resell them as "New" at a higher price.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Palleon posted:

- Adding on to what other people have said: there is a premium shop that opens up a short way into the game, where you buy things using TP rather than gold. The shop list includes rather important things like high-end weapons and some critical crafting manuals. TP are much harder to gain; you get them based on the longest combo you did in a given battle, so always take out the last enemy by whaling on it with as many combo attacks and moves as possible. Early-game, breaking an enemy with magic then doing Trick Hit + Rush is the most reliable way to get high combos.

- It's possible to store up to twice your normal AP by simply doing nothing for a turn. This is actually a pretty good way to lead into most battles; let the enemy come to you, then throw more attacks out on the second turn.

- It's important that you link characters up. Whenever you're moving someone, you'll see lit up boxes around them. Anyone standing in one of those boxes (or if the character stands in someone else's) and they'll get linked up to that character. If someone in a link chain starts an attack, anyone else can join in by pressing L1 / R1 to switch between them, which is what you'll need to do to get most Combination moves off.

- Set up as many attacks as you're likely to need on an enemy in one go, rather than move-by-move, because characters will often move around during a combo string. For example, let's say you have one melee character next to an enemy, and you're linked to another melee character 5 squares away. Having them join in will automatically make them move up next to the monster - which is very likely to break their link positioning.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Anything for Phantom Brave? Just got it for the PSP

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

PrinnySquadron posted:

Anything for Phantom Brave? Just got it for the PSP

I honestly don't remember much about it; I've resigned myself to never finishing it because the game is depressing as gently caress and you will want to drink yourself to death by about chapter 4.

What I do remember (from the PS2 version):
- The tutorial has a really nice sword that you need to capture (by binding a spirit with a high capture rate into it) if you want it - this is the only place in the game it occurs, and it gives you a nice boost early on.
- What item you bind a spirit into determines how its stats are boosted or diminished for that battle. Try to play to their strengths, or the enemy's weaknesses.
- Anything, including things that would be scenery in other games, or even other characters, can be used as a weapon.
- There are some spirits that are pretty weak, but their high capture rate makes them worth keeping around to snag good items.
- Each spirit has a time limit, after which it will leave the battlefield. Generally, the more powerful a spirit, the less time it will stay. Summoning all of your forces at the start of a battle runs the risk of having them all time out before you can finish the battle. Pace your summons.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but hey, whatever. I'm installing Arcanum and I've already got Drog's patch. Are there any other mods or fixpacks I should look into? This is my first time through the game, incidentally

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mayor McCheese posted:

[tips]

This is all great, thanks!

One thing I'm kind of curious about though; how many officers should I be aiming for per city? Obviously the more officers you have the better, since you can assign more tasks per turn, but there must be a point of diminishing returns, where there are fewer officers to draw from, or where you start to run out of AP. Is there a rule of thumb for that, where I should stop recruiting and start working?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Batman; Arkham Asylum. I just started tonight and it's a blast, but I'm already caught up in trying to collect and solve everything as I go. Should I wait and do those later?

Also, any general tips on combat?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Batman; Arkham Asylum. I just started tonight and it's a blast, but I'm already caught up in trying to collect and solve everything as I go. Should I wait and do those later?

As far as I recall, you can go back and do anything you've missed except for one point, but after that time is over,you can do stuff again anyways.

Combat - Bosses all have a strategy. It's fairly apparent, and bosses aren't too bad.

Basic minions - You never want to fight them in a large group. Explosive Gel isn't very good for setting up a trap pre-fight due to it's short range, in my experience. But you do what to ambush the mooks until there's only a few left. At that point, well, just experiment until you find out what works.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Bottom Liner posted:

Riddler tropies and the other stuff can all be gotten throughout the game, and even post game. Potentially, there is one that may be missable, but only if you get an unlucky bug. The one that may/may not be missable is when you get locked in a cell by Harley. If there is one you can't seem to get, just wait, you'll get something that will let you get it later. Again, you have the run of the island after you beat the game, and collecting all the trophies is worth it.

The best way to get better at combat is to slow down. It isn't a button masher. Combat has a very distinct flow to it that you will learn to feel after a little bit. You can dodge once in between each attack and keep your combo going.

When you get down to one last guy in a room, and he's making GBS threads his pants, gently caress with him. Try dropping down right in front of him, then grappling away so he loses you. It never gets old.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Ainsley McTree posted:

This is all great, thanks!

One thing I'm kind of curious about though; how many officers should I be aiming for per city? Obviously the more officers you have the better, since you can assign more tasks per turn, but there must be a point of diminishing returns, where there are fewer officers to draw from, or where you start to run out of AP. Is there a rule of thumb for that, where I should stop recruiting and start working?

For your borders you'll want more officers than your inner provinces; I try to keep around 6-8 bare minimum per border city (twice that if you're at war); as for non-bordered cities, 4 officers will keep them functioning just fine if you let your prefect's AI delegate them. Be careful not to have too many officers in one place either unless you're just starting the game. It's not that much of a big deal but they are better used doing other things within your nation.

Honestly you'll either have too many cities by the time you get the war machine going and not enough officers, or you'll find that once you conquer many of the nations you'll have your hands full of officers. It can go either way. You can never have too many officers, though. The game has hundreds of them regardless of which campaign you pick (in early ROTK games they wouldn't bother adding many officers beyond a certain age group so if you picked the final scenario, a few years into it you would start seeing every dying of old age -- it was entertaining and weird to see an empty map).

90% of the time after you seized a city the losing officers will turn down your recruitment offers and if you choose to let them go they will all end up scattered throughout the map. What makes it especially annoying is when you only have a few nations left to siege and you end up looking at their officer roster that is pages long. The easiest way is to just kill anyone who doesn't join you, but you wont get a good ending this way.

As for AP I'll have to boot the game up. I forget if it's retroactively based on performance/size of nation/other variable or just static. I do remember always running out of it towards midgame.

Hope this helps a little.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 23, 2011

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anatharon posted:

Basic minions - You never want to fight them in a large group. Explosive Gel isn't very good for setting up a trap pre-fight due to it's short range, in my experience. But you do what to ambush the mooks until there's only a few left. At that point, well, just experiment until you find out what works.

I'll argue that you should get in there and really push the limits for combat. The greatest feeling in the game is taking out 12+ dudes flawlessly. Getting that "Party Crasher" achievement on hard was awesome.

I would get the instant takedown and 2x combo moves ASAP because you fight these knife wielding and stun-baton jerks who will break your combos. Batman also gets stronger and more agile the higher the combo. Once you reach the 40s the guy starts dancing around the battlefield like a ballerina doing donkey kicks and spin-punches.

Later on you fight these big guys and you can hop on your back to cause them to swing madly around. This is a really slow way to beat them. When they kneel on the ground stunned, move to their backside and punch away. It takes some practice but you can usually stun-lock them to the point where they fall right there.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I forgot the most important one for Arkham Asylum:

Turn off detective mode once in awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Fungah! posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but hey, whatever. I'm installing Arcanum and I've already got Drog's patch. Are there any other mods or fixpacks I should look into? This is my first time through the game, incidentally

The Arcanum thread will hook you up.