Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com
poo poo, if I was QA I'd advocate leaving bugs in for folks to find and obsess over, like in the good ol' days.

"Is it a bug...or are the developers trying to tell us something?"

Halo PC all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Hughlander posted:

We had publisher QA on a project who would write more Z fighting bugs than anything else...

"Jump across the broken nav mesh, duck under the broken bind posing AI, shoot 3 times or you'll crash then jump on the crate here, here and here, look up at a 47o angle then left 20o and notice the ceiling texture z-fighting with the light fixture..."

Good ol' publisher QA.

:v:: Hey I found a bit of text that was misaligned!
:v:: now to write up a separate bug for every single screen it occurs in.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

MustardFacial posted:

Good ol' publisher QA.

Quotas are why we have poo poo like this. gently caress quotas.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

MustardFacial posted:

Good ol' publisher QA.

How I long for a fast, lightweight, elegant bug tracker that would make it easy for smart QA to identify a high level issue and then link instances of it as subissues that could be easily marked off as they're fixed, and would make it simple for duplicates to get categorized under the same high level problem..

We've had some luck with Redmine so far for speed and automation (right click from task lisk to update priority, etc) but it really amazes me how lovely so many products are for bug tracking, particularly the lovely workflows of Find Bug, click Edit, wait, click through 5 different dropdowns, hit save, repeat..

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Akuma posted:

Had the first prelim design meeting for the next project I'm leading today. Very excited about it! But need to temper that excitement because I'm not done with my current project yet. But it's so close I can taste it! Might be getting previewed in the media next week.

Our new starters are working like champs. I wasn't sure if it was cruel or kind to throw them onto their own solo games from day one, but they're definitely swimming and not sinking so I guess it was a good thing!

That is a pretty sweet looking project, even at this stage (assuming it's the one I think it is).

Also, hooray, I'm doing something right, apparently.

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

icking fudiot posted:

How I long for a fast, lightweight, elegant bug tracker that would make it easy for smart QA to identify a high level issue and then link instances of it as subissues that could be easily marked off as they're fixed, and would make it simple for duplicates to get categorized under the same high level problem..

We've had some luck with Redmine so far for speed and automation (right click from task lisk to update priority, etc) but it really amazes me how lovely so many products are for bug tracking, particularly the lovely workflows of Find Bug, click Edit, wait, click through 5 different dropdowns, hit save, repeat..

JIRA can do this. It's a really nice bugtracker IMO!

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Monochrome posted:

Quotas are why we have poo poo like this. gently caress quotas.

Don't forget to report it for every language version as well!!

My fav bug was someone contesting they didn't think an atrium was really an atrium. I gave them a friendly rollocking for that. Sigh! Pretty funny though, but that's not the sort of bug I wanted before cert. :I

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Fishbus posted:

My fav bug was someone contesting they didn't think an atrium was really an atrium. I gave them a friendly rollocking for that. Sigh! Pretty funny though, but that's not the sort of bug I wanted before cert. :I
I got a raft of about 10 bugs today questioning design decisions. That weren't even my design decisions, but they're related to something rendered, so clearly that goes to me. That was fun.

There were also a lot of "this object appears when you're too close on min-spec, it should appear further out." ... we can't make it appear further out. BECAUSE IT IS loving MIN-SPEC.

At some point, I suppose I should start fixing the nitpicky load of C's and D's I have, but when my other priorities are things like "rewrite the entire rendering system to not blow goat cheese," it seems like... just maaaaybe... that's more important than an isolated texture seam.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 23, 2011

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Hughlander posted:

"Jump across the broken nav mesh, duck under the broken bind posing AI, shoot 3 times or you'll crash then jump on the crate here, here and here, look up at a 47o angle then left 20o and notice the ceiling texture z-fighting with the light fixture..."

And of course, if it's a crash, then nevermind getting such precise instructions.

"Game crashes in level sewer 1."

*submits, doesn't include a dumpfile*

welp, my quota's good now

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Jan posted:

And of course, if it's a crash, then nevermind getting such precise instructions.

*submits fix to bug, lists build revision it will appear in, sends to regression*
*bug appears back in your folder 10 minutes later tagged "fix failed on current build"*
*:suicide: as it was regressed on the wrong build*

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

MustardFacial posted:

*submits fix to bug, lists build revision it will appear in, sends to regression*
*bug appears back in your folder 10 minutes later tagged "fix failed on current build"*
I understood everything you said until "regression".

Can someone explain git and basically version control/checkout terminology in human language?

I understand how this stuff is supposed to work (I think) but there's so many terms being throw around by different version control suites that I'm getting confused.

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.
See attached screenshot

+ mainmenu_bug_zipped.zip
|--- mainmenu_bug_screenshot.wmv

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com
Also, submitting idea for the next megathread's subtitle:

"Those QA people were asking for it."

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

M4rk posted:

I understood everything you said until "regression".

Can someone explain git and basically version control/checkout terminology in human language?

I understand how this stuff is supposed to work (I think) but there's so many terms being throw around by different version control suites that I'm getting confused.

Regression testing is basically confirming that a bug is fixed and that the fix didn't break other things. Or, later on, making sure that a fixed bug didn't get un-fixed for some reason (although manually checking everything fixed before doesn't really happen for obvious reasons).

Stormin Mormon
Nov 12, 2003

"Stormin'" since 1999
Mormon since 2005
So I am biting the bullet and I am going to attempt to go back to school. I filled out the FASFA and Applied at a college that had a Game Design program where you can focus on art or programming. Being limited in my drawing ability I am going the programming route. Any words of advice as I dive in head first here? I plan on studying as much programming code as I can as I make my way into this but I would love to hear what else I should be looking out for as I change careers from what would be considered "community".

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Stormin Mormon posted:

So I am biting the bullet and I am going to attempt to go back to school. I filled out the FASFA and Applied at a college that had a Game Design program where you can focus on art or programming. Being limited in my drawing ability I am going the programming route. Any words of advice as I dive in head first here? I plan on studying as much programming code as I can as I make my way into this but I would love to hear what else I should be looking out for as I change careers from what would be considered "community".
Question #1: Why didn't you apply at a school that had a CS degree / go for a CS degree?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

MustardFacial posted:

This made me laugh.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Stormin Mormon posted:

Shalinor's got a good Question #1, but my first question would be "do you already like programming?" If yes, proceed (and try not to take out student loans, work your way though college instead, code some apps for app stores or flip burgers or something). If no, don't force yourself to do programming.

I did programming in highschool and kinda liked it, mostly because it meant I had an entire period to surf the internet and set up fansites (two of which actually did really well for a time, QBasic.com and AionSource.com). When I got into college I realized I didn't really want to do all that drat math to get a programming degree, so I went into Public Relations instead. Best choice ever.

Now I'm a spindoctor, and not the musical kind.

Stormin Mormon
Nov 12, 2003

"Stormin'" since 1999
Mormon since 2005

Shalinor posted:

Question #1: Why didn't you apply at a school that had a CS degree / go for a CS degree?

That is what it will end up being, I will transfer from the community college and hit a big name to finish out my four years. Sorry I didn't clarify that.

edit: as for why not the big name in four years now... don't want to dig myself deeper in debt but want to persue the career.

Shalinor posted:

"do you already like programming?" If yes, proceed (and try not to take out student loans, work your way though college instead, code some apps for app stores or flip burgers or something). If no, don't force yourself to do programming.

I used to like programming when I grew up. I started with a C-64 in my room and I would sit there playing with code for so long my parents had to move it to the living room so I wasn't staying up til 3am at 8 years old.

I used to be really good at math so getting back into that as well is what is exciting for me in CS. (Again, sorry for not clarifying the long term goal there)

Stormin Mormon fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 23, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Stormin Mormon posted:

That is what it will end up being, I will transfer from the community college and hit a big name to finish out my four years. Sorry I didn't clarify that.
Gotcha. In that case, just spend your free time on your portfolio, kick rear end, and you'll do fine. Do NOT rely on the CS degree to teach you what you need to know, you will end up having to learn almost all of it on your own.

If I were you, I'd start here: http://www.ogre3d.org/ - build a game engine up around OGRE, do stuff with it, realize OGRE doesn't do everything you want, add on to it, tunnel down into it, and generally use it as a launching point into DirectX programming. You could also go up from bare metal, but I have a hard time recommending that path these days - it's a useful exercise, but I feel like it's best saved for after you've gotten a grounding in typical engine structure.

What you learn through the CS degree will still be useful, but more in a sideways fashion - you'll find yourself using it when designing algorithms later on, or when it comes time to optimize code, etc. (and the paper itself will certainly help you get interviews)

EDIT: VV Nah, the producers are doing their job, the bugs should indeed be sitting on me, and that they're C's and D's indicates lower priority. But it still irritates me that they're sitting there, unfixed. It was just a humorous statement as to the depth of my bug queue, and the reason why it will likely remain deep for ages to come. It also references the fact that my bug queue is deep in large part due to a single issue replicated 10x times in many cases. A texture seam bug in particular is going to be a nightmare once I fix it, given the number of other bugs that reference the issue thus far.

... which, incidentally, there is good reason for. Testers file bugs per incident of a bug because it is entirely possible that a set of issues you thought were related - are in fact not. It is irritating, but the proper way of handling it isn't to collapse them all into one bug report, it's to group them in a system that allows you to easily move that group about. Unfortunately, our bug tracking software is a massive piece of crap that can't do that.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 23, 2011

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shalinor posted:

At some point, I suppose I should start fixing the nitpicky load of C's and D's I have, but when my other priorities are things like "rewrite the entire rendering system to not blow goat cheese," it seems like... just maaaaybe... that's more important than an isolated texture seam.
Sounds like your testers are doing their jobs. Who's not?

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

One of the fun things about a) working on an established MMO and b) starting out in QA on that MMO is that I have some of my own bugs in my queue, and no intention of fixing most of them.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Tricky Ed posted:

One of the fun things about a) working on an established MMO and b) starting out in QA on that MMO is that I have some of my own bugs in my queue, and no intention of fixing most of them.
Which one, if you don't mind me asking?

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
Oh the horrible stories I want to share... I guess a generic enough one is our publisher's producer submitting A++++ "must fix or else" feature requests when our project is 2 1/2 weeks past the submission date. Yeah... living the dream maaaan.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

M4rk posted:

Which one, if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry, if I say I can't post here any more. Well, not with any sort of honesty.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

MustardFacial posted:

You see this an awful lot with outsourced/offshore QA along with new in-house grunts. I remember accidentally regressing things that weren't committed yet back when I was an entry-level QA, but that was because I wasn't really aware yet of how to tell what build revision I was working from. It's a sad thing to say, but no one really ever taught me how to do well and proper game testing when I first started out. I'm only excellent at it now because of years and years and years of experience. HOPEFULLY that is the case here? :shobon:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jan posted:

I had a bug from a weekend of soak testing, "Game crashes after 88th round."

Steps to Repro:

Play 87 rounds
Observe crash on 88th.

Frequency: happened once

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
QA can log all of the ridiculous barely worth fixing C bugs they like, I have a mass close button.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

MustardFacial posted:

Whats worse is when a Dev sends back a bug, Hey I think this might be fixed but I'm not sure, can you check this for me?

I was supposed to hear back yesterday for the embedded Senior QA spot at Irrational but they never emailed me back about my interviews. I'm so anxious to get out of outsourced QA and into embedded.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Shalinor posted:

I got a raft of about 10 bugs today questioning design decisions. That weren't even my design decisions, but they're related to something rendered, so clearly that goes to me. That was fun.

It was also assigned as an A bug :I

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

GeauxSteve posted:

Whats worse is when a Dev sends back a bug, Hey I think this might be fixed but I'm not sure, can you check this for me?

I was supposed to hear back yesterday for the embedded Senior QA spot at Irrational but they never emailed me back about my interviews. I'm so anxious to get out of outsourced QA and into embedded.
Are you going to give them a call? Isn't that the right thing to do after a day or two?

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

M4rk posted:

Are you going to give them a call? Isn't that the right thing to do after a day or two?

I sent them an email thanking them for the second interview on Wednesday and then I sent them a follow up email asking if they had made any decisions yesterday.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

GeauxSteve posted:

I sent them an email thanking them for the second interview on Wednesday and then I sent them a follow up email asking if they had made any decisions yesterday.
Cool, I guess email would probably be the better method nowadays. I was just wondering, in case Riot ever sends me a response. :)

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

MustardFacial posted:

Ugh this is the worst. Its especially infuriating to ex-QA devs, cos you know how easy it is to run a qa team such that it doesn't happen :P

Vino
Aug 11, 2010

M4rk posted:

Git is great, but there's a thread especially for it, probably in the cobol cavern. There's also tons of tutorials and poo poo on the interwebs.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Vino posted:

Git is great, but there's a thread especially for it, probably in the cobol cavern. There's also tons of tutorials and poo poo on the interwebs.
Mercurial (Hg) is probably better for the novice, though. A bit more logical, a bit less odd to figure out the commands for. It's what I use too, and I love it dearly.

(djkillingspree: they're the same basic approach to version control, very similar, they just go about it in slightly different ways)

Either way you go, you can get free (private) hosting with unlimited storage space. Which you should definitely do:

Hg: https://bitbucket.org/
Git: https://github.com/

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 24, 2011

dogmaan
Sep 13, 2007

Shalinor posted:

Mercurial (Hg) is probably better for the novice, though. A bit more logical, a bit less odd to figure out the commands for. It's what I use too, and I love it dearly.

(djkillingspree: they're the same basic approach to version control, very similar, they just go about it in slightly different ways)

Either way you go, you can get free (private) hosting with unlimited storage space. Which you should definitely do:

Hg: https://bitbucket.org/
Git: https://github.com/

I have been using Bitbucket recently, I like that it allows free private hosting, not because I don't want to open source my projects, but so people don't laugh at my retarded monkey code.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

M4rk posted:

Cool, I guess email would probably be the better method nowadays. I was just wondering, in case Riot ever sends me a response. :)

Everything aside from the actual phone interviews have been handled via email at this point, so I figure its best to just stick to that.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

On the subject of source control, anyone have some good articles on GIT, SVN, and any other source control with Unity? Unity and Perforce are pretty much mortal enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Chainclaw posted:

On the subject of source control, anyone have some good articles on GIT, SVN, and any other source control with Unity? Unity and Perforce are pretty much mortal enemies.
Apparently, Unity 3D + Mercurial/Git just "works"... SO LONG AS YOU HAVE UNITY 3D PRO. A local independent studio does Unity 3D + Mercurial, and has it working even with a veritable fleet (10+) of art interns. He (the CEO) has Unity Pro, and is the only one that changes scene settings, while everyone else is using Unity Basic (which can convert Unity Pro workspaces fine, but only for reading). They update, use Unity Basic to test out their changes, and submit the code / resources back to the lead guy for integration into the build.

If you're using Unity 3D Basic only though, hahahahahahaha.

(the difference is that Unity Pro stores all of its configuration data files in plain-text format. They merge, and basically behave nicely. The binaries that Unity 3D Basic uses, on the other hand, are nightmarish, can not merge, and can't even be copied around safely likely due to non-relative pathing contained within)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 24, 2011