Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xguard86 posted:

haha all but 2 were on the mat. So, he only actually sexual assaulted someone twice if you don't count the "legitimate" wrestling incidents.

Also it was before practice, so what the hell was he doing? Warming up with some rear end play?

As a high school wrestler I can safely assure you that this is normal and warming up the glutes is crazy important to having hip mobility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Ugh.
First migraine in years and it robs me of two training sessions off a BJJ seminar. :argh:
Sauli Heilimφ might not be the most glamorous fighter out there but god drat he's a good teacher.

:stare:

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
Got a shock doctor mouthguard, the top and bottom kind, no boil required, and it is gonna work out really well. a littla bit of saliva build up, but its managable and i feel a lot more comfortable knowing i'll be able to keep these lovely yellow teeth safe, lol

we've been doing a lot of no-gi in class and open mat because of a ridiculous heat wave and humidity lately, and at first I was pretty unhappy about it, i prefer gi, but its actually been really helpful. when I play with a gi I notice now that I tend to get fixated on gi-based grips, and forget to work underhooks, head control, elbows, etc. also due to the slippery and sloppy nature of no-gi there's a lot of mad scrambling in this weird limbo state between positions and its helping me play a more dymanic open guard and shutting down passes or using their momentum and turning them into sweeps, so I think that will transfer well when I go back.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

haha all but 2 were on the mat. So, he only actually sexual assaulted someone twice if you don't count the "legitimate" wrestling incidents.

Also it was before practice, so what the hell was he doing? Warming up with some rear end play?

"Hey let me show you this new technique I've been working on..." is a common phrase before my jiujitsu classes

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mindtwist posted:

Got a shock doctor mouthguard, the top and bottom kind, no boil required, and it is gonna work out really well. a littla bit of saliva build up, but its managable and i feel a lot more comfortable knowing i'll be able to keep these lovely yellow teeth safe, lol

a terrible decision

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Syphilis Fish posted:

"Hey let me show you this new technique I've been working on..." is a common phrase before my jiujitsu classes

Man I wish it was like that at my gym. Before sambo it's always "hey let me put my finger in your butthole"

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Xguard86 posted:

Seems that way. I guess if they were all wearing gis he would have had the implied legal immunity that the rest of us enjoy.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Nierbo posted:

Seems that way. I guess if they were all wearing gis he would have had the implied legal immunity that the rest of us enjoy.

I remember when I was checking out crosstraining with judo the first day one of the black belts explained to me that Judo is the only martial art in Canada that has legal immunity in terms of fighting or whatever, and that bowing is a legal sign of consent to that. Every other MA or whatever does not have that legal immunity apparently :rolleyes:. I have nothing but respect for Judo and I would love to continue crosstraining in it but he really gave me a poor impression, not to mention his demo of why Judo doesn't really use punching*, which involved me threw a slow right cross and him grabbing/catching the sleeve of my gi underneath and pushing it up. Sigh, I didnt ask why Judo didnt use punching, you dont have to give me a really dumb demo.

*I know Judo uses some lovely karate style punching at black belt but I mean, its still a grappling/throwing martial art.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
But does it protect the club or the judo players that train there?
Any news on your shoulder by the way?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
What does legal immunity even mean? That whatever happens during an organized fight/competition is ok or can't be prosecuted? As an Euro-goon I haven't heard the term before in this connection.

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
I am not a lawyer or an American, but I suspect it's meant to apply to civil lawsuits. Those whacky Americans are always suing each other, so legal immunity in this case would mean you can't get sued if someone breaks something important.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

ManicParroT posted:

I am not a lawyer or an American, but I suspect it's meant to apply to civil lawsuits. Those whacky Americans are always suing each other, so legal immunity in this case would mean you can't get sued if someone breaks something important.

I'm a Canadian and I've still had to sign a waver for attending my judo club. I haven't had to sign one for BJJ before.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Today i met a pretty boxer girl in MMA practice. I taught her how to shoot and she broke my big toe doing it.

Baby, why you gotta treat me so bad :mad:

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
So for this legal immunity power to activate, do you need to look at your opponent during the bow or not? Do both parties consent hereby to standup if the ground fight gets stale / after 30 seconds?

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming
I just recently(almost 3 months ago) started training BJJ at a local gym. I usually do okay during rolls but I have been having a problem with guys using open guard against me. Its incredibly hard for me to get any kind of posture in it and I almost always will get stretched out and end up getting tangled in an armbar or something like that. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for either breaking the open guard so I can pass? A youtube of it would be pretty handy too.

Overall though I am loving BJJ. My trainer is really nice and the classes are fairly intense. Especially during this heat wave. I felt like I was gonna die when I was rolling the other morning.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Illegal Username posted:

Today i met a pretty boxer girl in MMA practice. I taught her how to shoot and she broke my big toe doing it.

Baby, why you gotta treat me so bad :mad:

I notice you've been having some problems with the ladies recently man.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Breaking the big toe is the worst. Most toes you can just tape up, pop a few Advil, and move on. But the big toe hurts with every step and there isn't much you can do other than wait for it to heal. Last time I broke a big toe I tried to continue working out with it heavily taped and it took several months before the pain was gone.

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?

BlackCircle posted:

Overall though I am loving BJJ. My trainer is really nice and the classes are fairly intense. Especially during this heat wave. I felt like I was gonna die when I was rolling the other morning.

I've almost been doing it 2 months and I love it as well. Never would've thought I'd be no-gi wrestling with dudes 120lbs heavier than me and doing pretty well, but there i am lol. i love being on bottom too :3:

Our teacher cultivates a very friendly vibe that makes coming to class and open mat always joyful and easygoing, and everyones glad to help if you ask, which i do a lot

mindtwist fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 22, 2011

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Nierbo posted:

But does it protect the club or the judo players that train there?
Any news on your shoulder by the way?

Got put on the waitlist for surgery, which is a year long. I dislocated it a third time by cannonballing into a backyard swimming pool (guess I didnt tuck my arms in enough). Im still debating in my mind whether or not to train because if I continue to dislocate and injure it, it could effect my career in the military (im a student and an infantry reservist). I may consider going back to some gi only BJJ classes just to do technique and train light, we'll see. Its a bit disheartening for it to pop out by just jumping into a pool so it worries me.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
puked for the first time after a sparring session last night, for some reason it felt really nice - like I'd broken some kind of mental barrier.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

I'm thinking of changing around my weight lifting regimen to be more applicable to judo. I'm thinking that means emphasizing core work and pulling motions (rows, deadlifts), but I'm also a beginner and have no idea what I'm talking about. Does anyone have suggestions?

swagger like us posted:

Got put on the waitlist for surgery, which is a year long.
:canada:

esquilax fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 22, 2011

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:

esquilax posted:

Does anyone have suggestions?

kettlebells

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

zalmoxes posted:

kettlebells

kettlebells

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

esquilax posted:

I'm thinking of changing around my weight lifting regimen to be more applicable to judo. I'm thinking that means emphasizing core work and pulling motions (rows, deadlifts), but I'm also a beginner and have no idea what I'm talking about. Does anyone have suggestions?

What is your routine now? For most a general strength training program is best with the addition of some power movements, cleans, box jumps, or kettlebells. Kettlebells aren't a magic bullet and should be part of greater program.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

What is your routine now? For most a general strength training program is best with the addition of some power movements, cleans, box jumps, or kettlebells. Kettlebells aren't a magic bullet and should be part of greater program.

I was using Alfalfa's 2b, but mostly for aesthetics rather than strength or explosiveness. I'll probably only be going once or twice a week now.

I'll probably try moving back to a WS4SB style program with a lot of dynamic movements, but need to figure out a way to turn it into a 2x per week program and incorporate kettlebells somehow. Maybe I should crosspost in W&W.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
Going to judo practice tonight. Wish we had an AC at the dojo.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

zalmoxes posted:

I know it's not much comfort, but at least you're not doing kendo. I wish I hadn't had meetings every afternoon this week; the typhoon has brought some amazingly cool weather that would make it a lot easier to practice with the teachers in the afternoon.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

esquilax posted:

Grip strength and explosive exercises.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1on6UkhuM0
Google Rhadi Ferguson and he'll give you all kinds of free judo training tips.
This is unrelated, but pay close attention to his right hand at 2:15-2:17...

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

esquilax posted:

I was using Alfalfa's 2b, but mostly for aesthetics rather than strength or explosiveness. I'll probably only be going once or twice a week now.

I'll probably try moving back to a WS4SB style program with a lot of dynamic movements, but need to figure out a way to turn it into a 2x per week program and incorporate kettlebells somehow. Maybe I should crosspost in W&W.

I'm using WS4SB and I'm really liking it but I'm doing it in a 3x week way.

You could probably go with a 2x a week doing only ME upper and ME lower days. You could try adding some sort of DE day that you'd do at home since it isn't that demanding on your body.

swagger like us posted:

Got put on the waitlist for surgery, which is a year long. I dislocated it a third time by cannonballing into a backyard swimming pool (guess I didnt tuck my arms in enough). Im still debating in my mind whether or not to train because if I continue to dislocate and injure it, it could effect my career in the military (im a student and an infantry reservist). I may consider going back to some gi only BJJ classes just to do technique and train light, we'll see. Its a bit disheartening for it to pop out by just jumping into a pool so it worries me.

gently caress man... That sucks so much it's ridiculous. That's one the injuries I really, really don't want. Dislocated shoulders never really come back 100%, they just keep popping faster and faster... Good luck with the surgery and I really hope it all falls back into place

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 23, 2011

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I was looking into kettlebells to see what kind of martial-arts-improvement movements I could do, and they sounded cool, but too expensive when i'd only really be adding two movements into my workout. Then I stumbled across this badboy in a Tim Ferriss book: http://www.davedraper.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=PmWiki.T-Handle

The T-Handle:

quote:

Just head to any hardware store or Home Depot and head to the plumbing aisle:

One 3/4" diameter x 12" long pipe nipple for the vertical shaft.
A "pipe nipple" is, somewhat paradoxically, a short pipe threaded on both ends with male pipe thread.

Two 3/4" diameter x 4" long pipe nipples for the handles.
Electrical or duct tape can later be used to cover the outside threads, but I just wear leather gloves when training with the T-handle.

One 3/4" diameter pipe "T" fitting to connect the above items.

One 3/4" floor flange to keep the plates from falling off as you swing.

An optional but suggested addition:

One spring clamp (I use an Irwin Quick-Grip 1") to keep plates from drifting up at the top of the swing. Do not swing the weights above sternum height.

Last but not least, replace the T-handle every six months. Tossing a bunch of plates on your cat or through a wall wonft win you IQ points when both are preventable for the cost of a Tshirt.

Special thanks to Dave Draper for introducing me to this beautifully simple device.

This'd be fine for doing two-handed kettlebell swings super-cheap if you've already got weights at home, though there are other kettlebell exercises you couldn't safely do with this.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I was looking into kettlebells to see what kind of martial-arts-improvement movements I could do, and they sounded cool, but too expensive when i'd only really be adding two movements into my workout. Then I stumbled across this badboy in a Tim Ferriss book: http://www.davedraper.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=PmWiki.T-Handle

The T-Handle:

This'd be fine for doing two-handed kettlebell swings super-cheap if you've already got weights at home, though there are other kettlebell exercises you couldn't safely do with this.

drat, that's such a good idea... Kind of want to build something so I can use the weights my brother bought a long time ago in a kettlebell way. Just wonder how safe this poo poo would be.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

KingColliwog posted:

drat, that's such a good idea... Kind of want to build something so I can use the weights my brother bought a long time ago in a kettlebell way. Just wonder how safe this poo poo would be.

Looks pretty safe to me. Although the ends of the pipe, may have some sharp edges. The only issue I can think of is that compared to a kettle bell the handle is much farther vertically from the center of gravity.

So just make sure you have plenty of space when you're doing exercises and inspect it before use to make sure nothing is loose.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 23, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

zalmoxes posted:

100 degree plus practices build character.

They also make me wish I owned any single weave gis.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The thread on the pipes will wear out eventually, too, because that's what's holding it together. Just inspect it every month or two and replace it when it's starting to look dangerous. Which is probably every 6-12 months. They talk about it in that wiki link.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

esquilax posted:

I think that is a great idea going more WS4SB style, but are you planing on maximal effort work or something else like a percentage base for your lifts?

For a more judo twist you could incorporate more grip work. Iron Mind use to sell gi piece handles for cables. I bet you could throw together something similar for some of your assistance exercises.

Also remember that an increase in maximal strength will mostly likely lead to an increase in power, unless you are already an extremely strong person.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

For a more judo twist you could incorporate more grip work.

Do kettlebells count as grip work?

What do you guys do in terms of kettlebell routines?

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Omglosser posted:

Grip strength and explosive exercises.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1on6UkhuM0
Google Rhadi Ferguson and he'll give you all kinds of free judo training tips.
This is unrelated, but pay close attention to his right hand at 2:15-2:17...

God drat...

When Im rolling with buds, I always lock in my kimuras/armbars slow because Im always super paranoid about snapping someone's arm like that. They always escape cause of that and I feel stupid.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Any striking goons mind critiquing a couple videos of me sparring over the next week or so?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

I think that is a great idea going more WS4SB style, but are you planing on maximal effort work or something else like a percentage base for your lifts?

For a more judo twist you could incorporate more grip work. Iron Mind use to sell gi piece handles for cables. I bet you could throw together something similar for some of your assistance exercises.

Also remember that an increase in maximal strength will mostly likely lead to an increase in power, unless you are already an extremely strong person.

I'm still trying to piece it together in my head but I was planning on max or near max effort on the max effort lifts, and a few reps short of failure on the rep work. Heavy squats tend to ruin the rest of my workout though, so I'll go percentage on those.

I used to be on this variation and that had a good mix of heavy and high rep work for me. Right now I'm thinking I'll take that, drop rep upper body day (moving grip to the end of ME lower day), combine ME upper and DE lower (dropping the traps and biceps work). Also add power cleans or kettlebell lifts to ME lower day, plus some agilities work and turkish get-ups as a warmup on both days.

The program seems a little crowded though and I think I'm getting into sperg territory. I'll try it out for a few weeks and go from there.

esquilax fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king

fawker posted:

God drat...

When Im rolling with buds, I always lock in my kimuras/armbars slow because Im always super paranoid about snapping someone's arm like that. They always escape cause of that and I feel stupid.
They don't escape because you're locking it in slow, they escape because your technique is bad.

The difference between locked in and broken is pretty minimal in terms of their ability to escape. If you have it 'locked', they aren't getting away. But, you can have something locked without shattering their arm to pieces.

• Locked thread