Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyscrappyheropup
Oct 13, 2005

mark it zero

Cyrezar posted:

Even now, 07-09 E550s look to be selling for about 30-35K (CPO) depending on mileage. E63s are still 10-15k more. While I love the AMG power and the E55 is a blast to drive, there might be some diminishing returns considering this would be my DD. The E55 is almost anticlimactic, because as soon as you hit the throttle you are going to be at extralegal speeds within a few seconds.

That said, I would purchase and drive the poo poo out of an E63 if the price was right, maintenance be damned. That engine is amazing and I can't help but think it will be the last of its kind for a while since every manufacturer seems to be moving towards smaller displacement forced induction engines instead.

I wasn't sure if I'd like the NA engine in the 63 vs. the 55k, but it's nice. It's got a great soundtrack and I prefer the 7spd over the old 5spd I had in my E55.

The E55 is quicker. The E63 doesn't have that nitrous-like tq hit from a dig, but in everyday driving it's more flexible. I haven't taken my wagon to the track, but I don't think it will best the 12.1@115 I ran in my E55. I'm thinking a 12.30 or 12.40.

The 55k motors have more points of failure, especially the supercharger clutch and IC pump. Those are very common - I had to replace my supercharger clutch on both my blown AMGs. Under warranty, thankfully.

If you're leaning towards the E550, don't drive the E63. :D

Edit - IMO, the E class looks best in white/black with pano. I wish my wagon was the same color scheme as my E55. One of the problems buying used, it's tough to find the perfect color/option combo.

happyscrappyheropup fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I'm decidedly not a Mercedes fan, but I can't deny that this is kind of awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIuIbO2Ul1U

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah after reading mbworld and looking at ebay/autotrader all morning I think an E63 would be a better purchase. Such an amazing vehicle. I fully expect to make an irrational automobile purchase in the next year or two so might as well make it count!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Is there some sort of buyers guide/things to look out for on the W211? I'm thinking about a 2003-2005 220 or 280CDI, or a 240 or 280 regular gas.

happyscrappyheropup
Oct 13, 2005

mark it zero

evobatman posted:

Is there some sort of buyers guide/things to look out for on the W211? I'm thinking about a 2003-2005 220 or 280CDI, or a 240 or 280 regular gas.

The W211 forum at mbworld.org is good if you can ignore the idiots.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

happyscrappyheropup posted:

The W211 forum at mbworld.org is good if you can ignore the idiots.

+1 on the mbworld forums, just make sure you use search before you use post. Everything you can think of has been answered ten times already.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Went to a buddies house, this followed me home.

Looks decent enough, right?

Well....

Oh, well that's not too bad a little bondo and some some paint, probably get this trunk looking nice at the same time, right?

Uhhhh

Oh.

Well, maybe the interior is nice.

Hmmmmm, maybe not.

Oh well, it's pretty decent for the price of "take it away from me, the title is in the glovebox and the keys in the ignition and you can pay me whatever you think it's worth whenever you get that figured out".

And if you don't know already, it's a 1985 300SD. Turbo 5-pot compression igniter with 300,000 miles clocked before the odo froze several years back. It runs out great, even the transmission works right as well as all the electrics.

Don't know what exactly I'm going to do with it. I tried to get it in the hands of my nephew who is turning 16 soon, has no car and no money and no other prospects of getting a car anytime soon. He drove the car and liked it, but then a week later I heard fifth-hand news that he wasn't interested anymore or something I don't know what the gently caress.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 12, 2011

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

trouser chili posted:

1985 300SD stuff
You know, I've been looking for a new project ever since things got nice and reliable with my 2010 TSX...

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Francis Baconator posted:

You know, I've been looking for a new project ever since things got nice and reliable with my 2010 TSX...

Your 4th in line. A buddy in Illinois wants it, then a guy at work, then fellow goon "BrokenKnucklez". Here's the info I sent to BrokenKnucklez.

quote:

Mechanically, everything that makes it drive (and reverse) works great. I just tweaked the ALDA a bit and readjusted the accelerator linkages and it'll scratch 2nd gear now. Transmission shifts positively and firmly on the 1-2, every other shift is butter-smooth and perfect. It really runs well, likes to cruise 70mph and does so effortlessly. Only thing that ruins that experience is that the steering has a pronounced pull to the right.

The HVAC is a mess, as is typical. No A/C and the vents are stuck on defrost and floor. This works out ok since it only has heat. The fan speed seems to only work on "terribly slow is this thing actually on" and "wind tunnel".

All other electrics work, including the sunroof and power mirror. The driver's window sometimes takes from fiddling with the switch to get it to respond. The switch just needs disassembly, cleaning and re-oiling (they have bearings god-bless the Germans).

The interior is a write-off. Nothing inside is nice.

The exterior has the obvious rust in the pictures I posted, and the trunk has two massively large holes in the floor. One on each side behind the wheels.

It needs a muffler to pass an inspection. This is all that is known that it needs, car would be sold as-is.

Not sure how to deliver out of state, but something could be worked out. In the past I've charged $0.75 per mile.

I've got a friend going to look at the car in the next couple of days. If he doesn't bite I'm looking for $500. I'm not going to make any money on the car and just give the proceeds of the sale to my buddy who handed me the thing in the first place.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

trouser chili posted:

Went to a buddies house, this followed me home.

Goddamn it, that's the spitting image of the car I took my date to the senior prom in. Well...the interior looked better and there wasn't any rust, but the HVAC was just as hosed. Did any of them EVER work right?

Does it have the incomprehensible-labelled Becker cassette player in it?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Those vacuum-operated Benz HVAC systems were mind boggling. Chasing a leak was like being in a maze made of 1980s turbocharged engines.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

JnnyThndrs posted:

Goddamn it, that's the spitting image of the car I took my date to the senior prom in. Well...the interior looked better and there wasn't any rust, but the HVAC was just as hosed. Did any of them EVER work right?

Does it have the incomprehensible-labelled Becker cassette player in it?

Not sure if it's a Becker or not. It's not the same unit as is in my 240d, which is a simple and straightforward AM/FM/cassette unit with analog tuning. The 300sd unit has digital tuning and an incomprehensible series of buttons, all of which work to make the sounds coming from the speakers sound appreciably worse.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
I was at a $1000 if you could get it somewhere within 100 miles of Memphis, then you mentioned no A/C. I could live with fixin' A/C if the interior did no suck so much rear end. Luck to u, I like 80s Benzes..

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I expect to be a master of vacuum lines and brakes by the end of the weekend. :tizzy:

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

How crazy would I be to pick up a '99 SLK230 Sport with 124,000 miles for right around edmunds.com TMV? Its got the manual transmission, should be more reliable than the auto box right?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

roadhead posted:

How crazy would I be to pick up a '99 SLK230 Sport with 124,000 miles for right around edmunds.com TMV? Its got the manual transmission, should be more reliable than the auto box right?

edmunds.com sounds a little too high for me. How about autotrader.com?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

EvilMoFo posted:

I expect to be a master of vacuum lines and brakes by the end of the weekend. :tizzy:
Instead, the car decided to not start Friday night. According to friends, more mechanically inclined than I am, there is a noise from the compression stroke on a cylinder. There also is oil at the rear of the engine, the aforementioned friends suspect the head gasket.

I expect to do a compression test next week, when I have time. Following that, I expect to take the intake/exhaust off to get a better look. I fear that I will be learning a lot about how these engines are put together.

:sigh:

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 9, 2011

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
I've heard from several sources that the 230 engine (mostly that one found in the late 90's-early 00's) is crap. Why is this? I've heard it likes to break down, that it's really underpowered (even supercharged), amongst other reasons.

I'm really rockin' my manual Merc C180. My parents bought it 13 years ago, I learned to drive this thing, and it's still running strong at 230,000 KM. There's nothing like coming out of the "adventurous and stiff" ride my YJ Wrangler provides, and go into the amazing comfort Benz is hugely acclaimed for. This thing might not be all that fast, but it gets me there in luxury and in comfort.

Edit: Anyone know if I can just buy one of those OBD2 scanners+Mercedes 38 pin adapter to scan the computer? The Mercedes dealership here has really gone downhill and I want to perform all maintenance on this car myself. I don't need it to tell me when the alarm last went off and what was the maximum speed it was driven since the last scan, I just need it to tell me codes in case something goes wrong (like the STAR tool tells me)

Steiler Drep fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 11, 2011

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I've been into Internationals my whole life, but only owned 3 trucks. I've been into Mercedes for maybe a couple of years at most, buying my first only six months ago. Today I'm looking at my fourth.

A friend's friend's grandfather owned this car.

It's a 420SEL. Smoke weed every day.

Unlike my last w126 there is a really nice interior in this car.

Anyway it's mine for a grand, only problem, it won't start. No spark. I pulled the cap and found it and the rotor roached out. Cleaned them up with some sandpaper but still nothing. I think it could be the ignition module, which is a $2,500 part new aftermarket, but I'm sure I can find one in a junkyard. Any tips to diagnose?

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 13, 2011

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
GAH! what the hell is going on with the headlights on those 80's Benzes? Mandated sealed-beams, I assume? :barf:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Have you checked the coil? The lead running between it and the distributor might be buggered.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

You Am I posted:

Have you checked the coil? The lead running between it and the distributor might be buggered.

The seller has replaced the coil in attempt to get it going again. I didn't bring a multimeter when I went to look at it, I'm going to hit a junkyard and pick up a few ignition modules and maybe a few crankshaft position sensors. Not sure what else it could be.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
What do you figure would be a fair price on a rust free but gazillion mile W123 240D in fair condition? I've a chance to pick up one from someone who doesn't really want it.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 29, 2011

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I paid 600 for mine. The sunroof leaks when it rains, has minor fender damage, has bits of rust on the body, and has a busted odometer at ~235k ... but it runs great and has been bullet proof. I saw one that was better looking with bad brakes and a questionable engine for 300 soon after that.

I would say ~1k would be a starting point.

I bought my quite functional (at the time :() 300D turbo with ~285k for 1600 and it was in pretty good cosmetic condition, aside from the paint.

edit: vvv the concept of a gasoline Mercedes does not compute for me

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 30, 2011

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Okay, some clarification on it. It's a 1978 230, so the slow gas motor. Automatic, manual door locks and windows, etc. 170395 miles currently. The seller is asking $1200.

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004
I took a look at a 1995 MB C280 today. It was in great condition and has been always serviced at the dealer. 135,000 miles with mostly everything working. Broken rear window regulator and fuel sending sensor are the only things wrong. It was priced at a nice $1800.

The only thing giving me pause is I've read about the engine wiring harness problem these models had and I want nothing to do with it.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Today the family became Mercedes Benz W123 only, with the sale of a BMW 3 series. While it feels good, logically, I would feel better if at least one of these cars was a step above marginally functional.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Blackdawgg posted:

I took a look at a 1995 MB C280 today. It was in great condition and has been always serviced at the dealer. 135,000 miles with mostly everything working. Broken rear window regulator and fuel sending sensor are the only things wrong. It was priced at a nice $1800.

The only thing giving me pause is I've read about the engine wiring harness problem these models had and I want nothing to do with it.

My parents used to drive a 1996 C250 diesel. Long story short, the 5-cylinder diesel was the only thing that didn't break horribly at some point. In the end, the car wouldn't even reverse and the only solution would have been a replacement or complete rebuild of the automatic transmission.

So they sold it and bought a relatively reliable French car instead. Take that as you will, but the W202 C-class was definitely not a worthy successor to the W201 190.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

KozmoNaut posted:

My parents used to drive a 1996 C250 diesel. Long story short, the 5-cylinder diesel was the only thing that didn't break horribly at some point. In the end, the car wouldn't even reverse and the only solution would have been a replacement or complete rebuild of the automatic transmission.

So they sold it and bought a relatively reliable French car instead. Take that as you will, but the W202 C-class was definitely not a worthy successor to the W201 190.

That is so very true. My C180 W202 has been wonderful (my family's been the only owner, since passed on to me. It's been maintained meticulously), the only problem being the power windows failing and the front bumper falling off by simply watching it, which was fixed by screwing it into the frame. But I've heard of other owners having problems with the fuel sending unit, A/C, locks, the window wiper, lights, etc etc etc.

They're REALLY easy to work in, though. I'm 20 and find that working on the Merc is not that much harder than working on my '90 carb'd Wrangler. Things are a bit more stuffed than you will find in other cars, but once you understand the reasoning behind the "crazy" german engineering, you'll see it's an easy car. At this point, the only thing wrong in my C180 is the rear windows, but I don't worry much more than changing fluids whenever it marks 8k kms. Even in this small engine'd flavor, it's a fun luxury car.

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004
Well the car got sold someone offered more. I don't mind working on my cars. Right now I have a miata and in the past have owned every German marque except Mercedes. I've been looking at a few 190Es but if I get one I'd like to find one with a recent automatic rebuild. However the prices around me are completely nonsensical. $2000 can buy you a mint 190e with under 100k or it can buy you a 300k basket case.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
So it's starting to look like I'm going to be putting together a diesel w123 rallyx car. I've found a good 240d automatic to start with. I want to source a 300d turbodiesel an 240d manual transmission to complete the powertrain. Right now I'm struggling with tires. Stock is 195/75/14, and there just isn't much available in 14. I thought about trying to pick up some 15 inch bundts, but holy he'll they're hard to find and very expensive. New set on eBay right now for $2,000. Not gunna happen.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

trouser chili posted:

So it's starting to look like I'm going to be putting together a diesel w123 rallyx car. I've found a good 240d automatic to start with. I want to source a 300d turbodiesel an 240d manual transmission to complete the powertrain. Right now I'm struggling with tires. Stock is 195/75/14, and there just isn't much available in 14. I thought about trying to pick up some 15 inch bundts, but holy he'll they're hard to find and very expensive. New set on eBay right now for $2,000. Not gunna happen.

There's a guy in Lafayette, IN with a genuine W123 280e rallycar and 300cd turbo converted to manual transmission. Both are cosmetically challenged and under $2k.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=242884

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=134914

Other wheel options that are direct fits are 15" W124 alloys or 16" CLK lightweight aluminum wheels. I ran W124 wheels in 215/60/15 size but preferred the handling with the stock wheels.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
With the kind of power you're putting down, 195s should be ok. The right tire choice will help more than an extra cm or two of width. Plus, ground clearance will be in your favor. There will be sections where you gain or lose time based solely on how willing you are to bash over potholes and washboards.

Sprout Magnet
Sep 16, 2005

Look!
I bought a W201 a while back. It's been serving me really well so far, short the awful gas mileage and some prick rear-ending me on the 405 and then driving off when I thought he was pulling over to exchange information.

That's not the real issue, though. Some dude ran up to me and shouted into my window "you're leaking gas!" while pointing at my car's left side. The gas tank's on the right, of course. It does smell like gas whenever I drive it, and I do get awful gas mileage. I'm just as quick to blame the smell on the carburetor and the mileage on my foot's similarity to a brick, but there does seem to be a stream of caked-on poo poo coming out of my gas door. Time to replace the gas cap? Anyone ever had this happen to them--could it be something other than the gas cap?

ALSO:

It's got 4-speed auto in it. Thing kicks like an angry baby trying to get out of the womb 3 months early whenever it shifts from first to second. I've read about tranny fixes for a bad 2-3 shift, but not really for a 1-2. Anyone got ideas on what could be done here? Filling up more tranny fluid seems to help a little. Not a lottle, though...

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Sprout Magnet posted:

It's got 4-speed auto in it. Thing kicks like an angry baby trying to get out of the womb 3 months early whenever it shifts from first to second.
If it is the same transmission as they used on W123 300D cars, that is completely normal and a good thing.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'd be very very worried about that auto transmission, Sprout Magnet. You should not be feeling anything from a MB autobox.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Just bought a 1980 300TD Station Wagon...rebuild thread to follow

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

CommieGIR posted:

Just bought a 1980 300TD Station Wagon...rebuild thread to follow

Nice, same year as my coupe. Picture related: It's your new climate control system, minus the GM exploding hockey puck compressor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Nice, same year as my coupe. Picture related: It's your new climate control system, minus the GM exploding hockey puck compressor.

Yeah.....I'm avoiding opening the AC compressor lines at ALL, in fact for the engine removal tonight, I just dropped the compressor out of the way, lines and all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah.....I'm avoiding opening the AC compressor lines at ALL, in fact for the engine removal tonight, I just dropped the compressor out of the way, lines and all

Those aren't the compressor lines, thats the mess behind the dash that fails to control the HVAC and causes your transmission to not shift correctly. I'd seriously look for a donor 240d and convert to the simple manual controls they are equipped with. That and I'd convert to the 240d manual transmission and spring suspension.