Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

sadus posted:

Any hint of a U3012 yet? Is it known if 6-bit will work with the 30" screens?

I don't think there will be one. Maybe a U3013 next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Dell just released a new 30", 2-3 months ago? I'm planning on buying it come October :smug:

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

U3011 coupons changed again, same 25% discount

Dell.com posted:

Save $375 on a Dell UltraSharp U3011 30-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor with coupon code 85RMTHTH0LJ5FP
Expires Thursday, July 28, 2011

$1,499.00 - $150 instant savings - $375 = $1,124.00 + free ground shipping, hard to resist :argh:

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
People have complained a lot about text showing up blurry on TVs connected to computers, is it still a problem with native 1080p60 panels and modern graphics chips outputting the same via HDMI? I know about toggling cleartype for the best visual apparent quality, but is there anything technically problematic with using a TV as a monitor?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Bensa posted:

People have complained a lot about text showing up blurry on TVs connected to computers, is it still a problem with native 1080p60 panels and modern graphics chips outputting the same via HDMI? I know about toggling cleartype for the best visual apparent quality, but is there anything technically problematic with using a TV as a monitor?
It's not as bad as it was "back in the day" of SDTVs and such, but it'll never be as crisp as on a monitor. The reason for that is two-fold: (1) Physics. Unless you're talking about a TV that's sized more like a monitor (sub 24"), the fact that it's 1920x1080 at most means that the pixels are going to be larger and farther apart the bigger the TV. A 50" set has pixels and spacing massively larger than on a 24" set--there's a reason most monitors don't use 1920x1080 at much higher than 24". That alone is going to hurt text clarity and there's nothing you can do about it. (2) A lot of HDTVs aren't really set up to take a PC-signal in correctly, as in it doesn't do 1:1 properly. This results in a lot of blurring and general visual degradation. As an additional bonus, subpixel technology has been lagging in TV's, and still isn't up to par with what you can find on a computer monitor, though it's getting better.

All of this combines to make HDTVs sub-standard displays for PC content. It does work, and it works better than it did in the past, but unless there's some particular reason for opting for it, the general recommendation is still to avoid it. If you are intent on going that route, do your homework on whatever particular HDTVs you're looking at, since their ability to display text clearly can vary noticeably from one to another, and there's no simple way to determine how good it'll look just from stats or features on the box.

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
So it seems like everyone recommends the Dell monitors. I'm about to order a Dell U2311H for 196€. Several reviews are stating that the colors and brightness at the edges and corners are off. Is this really the case and if yes, is it recognizable?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Happy Litterbox posted:

Is this really the case and if yes, is it recognizable?
It's somewhat hit or miss. If there is a defect that you notice, you can simply have them replace it with another one. The rate of incidence is fairly low, though; we hear a lot about it because the people buying the nicer Dell monitors are people who are paying the extra money because they expect a high-quality product, and are therefore more likely to note and complain about minor issues. Put another way, the same thing wouldn't be complained about nearly as much on a $150 TN screen, because the expectations are different and they're being sold to people who wouldn't notice a little color-skew to begin with.

In any event, they're fantastic monitors that Dell is having some minor QA issues with. If you notice something off, return it. If not, carry on.

friendly gentleman
Jul 8, 2007

UH, THIS ISNT YOUR DOG IS IT
Aww shucks, I just bought a U2311H for $300 a few weeks ago! I have a plan to unload the 23" for what I paid and get the new 16:10 U2412 but I wonder if it's even worth the trouble.

Other than the change from 16:9 to 16:10 is there any huge difference? For reference I am a computer user that looks games and spreadsheets.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

friendly gentleman posted:

Other than the change from 16:9 to 16:10 is there any huge difference? For reference I am a computer user that looks games and spreadsheets.
For you, not really. The U2412 sounds a lot more like a 24" 16:10 version of the U2311H than it does a successor to the U2410. Which for you works out to be a good thing.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but... I have been using two monitors both with DVI. Today I switched the second monitor to HDMI and it is only showing 1600x900, while the main monitor using DVI is fine at 1920x1080. It's showing 1920x1080 in the Windows' Screen Resolution menu, but there is a black bar bordering the second monitor.

Any idea on what the problem is? Thanks.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

err posted:

Any idea on what the problem is? Thanks.
Make sure your monitor isn't set to some weird mode. If Windows thinks it's pumping out a 1920x1080 signal, the issue is on the monitor side.

err
Apr 11, 2005

DrDork posted:

Make sure your monitor isn't set to some weird mode. If Windows thinks it's pumping out a 1920x1080 signal, the issue is on the monitor side.

Hmm... In the monitor menu of the first one it says:
Resolution: 1920x1080@60z
and the second monitor just says:
Resolution: 1080p

Maybe install the monitor drivers will work.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Unless the monitor is quite old, it is very unlikely that it wouldn't be able to handle 1920x1080@60. What model number is the monitor in question?

Monitor drivers don't really do anything.

err
Apr 11, 2005

DrDork posted:

Unless the monitor is quite old, it is very unlikely that it wouldn't be able to handle 1920x1080@60. What model number is the monitor in question?

Monitor drivers don't really do anything.

Both are Dell ST2410s. It's just really weird having it work with DVI/VGA but HDMI is giving a lovely resolution. Could it be the HDMI cord?

Subraji
Mar 28, 2006

He's got an 'ead like a fuckin' orange. Baldy, Mancy 'eaded twat.
Could you knowledgeable lot help me decide between these three monitors?

(For reference, I am running an ATI Radeon 4670, and while I game plenty, I don't play the flashiest or newest titles.)

Here is the 18.5" Asus LED monitor that I am considering:
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_702&item_id=037830

And now, two 20" monitors:
Asus
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_703&item_id=039208

LG
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_703&item_id=033076

I don't know an awful lot about monitors, but I read a little about LED technology and they seem pretty solid. Is there something I should be aware of? Should I stick with an LCD display for now? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks, guys! :v:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

err posted:

Both are Dell ST2410s. It's just really weird having it work with DVI/VGA but HDMI is giving a lovely resolution. Could it be the HDMI cord?

It could be trying to do overscan or some poo poo because it assumes the source will require it.
This poo poo is a plague that seemed to stay around even after the advent of proper connections for TVs.

err
Apr 11, 2005

HalloKitty posted:

It could be trying to do overscan or some poo poo because it assumes the source will require it.
This poo poo is a plague that seemed to stay around even after the advent of proper connections for TVs.

Well I Googled it and it seems to have a fix: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/p/19317341/19638525.aspx but I have the updated CCC so everything is different.

edit: Fixed it, why does scaling even exist. Thanks for the help guys!

err fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 26, 2011

Risky
May 18, 2003

Linux Nazi posted:

So I have a Dell 3008WFP that is still under warranty.

A tiny tiny bug crawled into the thing somehow, and parked it's rear end between the screen and the diodes, now I have a string of about 4-5 pixels in a row that are effectively black.

Any chance Dell gonna replace this thing for me? I would honestly be surprised if they did.

Yes they will. I had the same problem and they shipped me a replacement next loving day. I love Dell.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

HP comes to your house the next day to replace their 30"er due to it being classified as a business product.

(which I just ordered on Sunday (:swoon:), after reading several in-depth reviews and comparisons, and way too many derpy newegg comments. I later realized I could have saved hours of reading and thinking for myself if I had just stuck with the OP's recommendations here which are spot on)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Subraji posted:

Could you knowledgeable lot help me decide between these three monitors?

(For reference, I am running an ATI Radeon 4670, and while I game plenty, I don't play the flashiest or newest titles.)

Here is the 18.5" Asus LED monitor that I am considering:
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_702&item_id=037830

And now, two 20" monitors:
Asus
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_703&item_id=039208

LG
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_703&item_id=033076

I don't know an awful lot about monitors, but I read a little about LED technology and they seem pretty solid. Is there something I should be aware of? Should I stick with an LCD display for now? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks, guys! :v:

LED is just the backlight - you'll find a lot of monitors have one now anyway even if they don't make a big deal of it.

As for your three choices I'd rule the first one out immediately - the resolution is just too low for that sized screen.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

DrDork posted:

For you, not really. The U2412 sounds a lot more like a 24" 16:10 version of the U2311H than it does a successor to the U2410. Which for you works out to be a good thing.

To be fair, 16:10 gives you a lot of extra real estate for games and spreadsheets.

Also if you use 16:9 you are literally subhuman.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Eej posted:

To be fair, 16:10 gives you a lot of extra real estate for games and spreadsheets.

This man speaks the truth. Though, 1440p is allowed into the 2560x master race.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Eej posted:

I think we may have found a new thread title!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DrDork posted:

I think we may have found a new thread title!

I agree! *PMs Star War Sex Parrot*

e: A little birdy tipped me off to this, Norwegian Goons can save a ton on Dell monitors. I had to click the blue button to get in, but maybe I did it wrong because the prices in NOK don't convert to very good USD prices...

e2: non-business fixed link

movax fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 27, 2011

Ixpodsix
Dec 4, 2008
So I had an Acer monitor die on me after 3 years of adequate service, but it still had 6 days of warranty left. I sent it in and just got a response that said it couldn't be repaired, but they could send me one of these as a replacement:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009249
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009278
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009167

I need help! This is a gaming computer and I can't spring for an IPS right now. The Acer H243Hbmid seems the obvious choice because of the connectors, but I'm not sure that I'm not missing something dumb.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I'm looking to put together a new computer for my brother and he needs a monitor. He wants to use the system for gaming (mostly MMO type deals and RPGs).

I guess I'm looking for more of a budget type deal since 120hz monitors seem to be kind of pricey from what I've found.

Right now I'm looking at this Acer G235HAbd 23'' 5ms 1920x1080 WideScreen LCD monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 - does this thing seem decent? The cheap price worries me, I don't wanna buy a piece of poo poo for him but I really find it to be the most difficult piece to put together.

Any suggestions would be sweet, I checked out the OP and liked the first few suggestions, but they all seem very pricey. I guess you get what you pay for though, so is there some kind of middle ground there?

Ixpodsix
Dec 4, 2008
My experience with Acer has been less than stellar. I've had two 24in monitors go out within 5 years with moderate to high daily use. The monitor is competent enough for gaming for the price, but the next monitor I buy definitely won't be an Acer.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
What would you go for instead of an Acer?

I've had less than stellar experience with Acer at work as well, specifically with their laptops/netbooks and their support in general, it's just been pretty abysmal.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Got my u2410, finally got my system working, holy hell is it huge. And bright.

I seem to have gotten a bad DVI cable; I tried both ports on my monitor and both on the video card, but get green snow in the dark places of images and full screen video or games run for about 15 seconds before the screen goes black. I'll be contacting Dell's awesome customer service for a replacement either way.

On the plus side, I discovered my card and monitor have DisplayPort, which terrified me when I first plugged it in because the screen went all weird, went in and out of sleep mode, my computer told me the DisplayPort adapter malfunctioned, and then suddenly everything was jake. I did power both monitor and tower down first. It's worked fine since, but after getting a bum motherboard the first go round I nearly went apoplectic.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I've been thinking of upgrading from my old old old CRT monitor finally when I move into a new place soon. I've been looking at reviews for a day or so and can't seem to figure out something I want.

I'm trying to get something 22-24 inches that I can use for gaming (I'm not a HARDCOREZ COD FPS gamer though, so I don't need it to be the lowest input lag possible), movies, general use, and occasional art stuff. I also want one that I can mount (or has a really awesome stand, rather than the near unadjustable crap most seem to always have).

Is there any way it'd be possible to find a good IPS monitor under, say $225, other than getting lucky on finding a used one somewhere?

I mean... I've seen a few that I sort of liked, but wasn't sure if they really were that good, being TN models. I've looked through this thread and have a few tabs open of some monitors that were mentioned so I could look at them later, but I don't believe any in my price range were IPS from the quick glance I gave them. I'd like one of the Dells, but those are all $300. Aside from the Dell U2211H, which the 2nd post in this thread says is a great monitor, but terrible value. Though Amazon has it around $250 at the moment.

Anyways, thanks. I just tend to be picky and slow, expecting too much when I look into making a purchase like this.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

MaxDuo posted:

I've been thinking of upgrading from my old old old CRT monitor finally when I move into a new place soon. I've been looking at reviews for a day or so and can't seem to figure out something I want.

I'm trying to get something 22-24 inches that I can use for gaming (I'm not a HARDCOREZ COD FPS gamer though, so I don't need it to be the lowest input lag possible), movies, general use, and occasional art stuff. I also want one that I can mount (or has a really awesome stand, rather than the near unadjustable crap most seem to always have).

Is there any way it'd be possible to find a good IPS monitor under, say $225, other than getting lucky on finding a used one somewhere?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005234

This too, but it's ugly as sin:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236122

(Open box)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236122R

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
This is the new 24" ultrasharp right?

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=320-2676

movax
Aug 30, 2008

BossTweed posted:

This is the new 24" ultrasharp right?

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=320-2676

Affirmative.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

people on acer posted:

:words: hate hate hate :words:

We have about 400 Acer monitors in my office. To be honest, I love them. They are pretty drat reliable, we will get one that will act up every 4 months. Three year warranty, mail it out to them, returns within a week or two normally.

I cannot attest for gaming on them, or any kind of photo work where color matters, but for a solid office monitor, I can't say anything bad (and their price is great too, we are deploying 23" monitors for like $150).

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Moey posted:

We have about 400 Acer monitors in my office. To be honest, I love them. They are pretty drat reliable, we will get one that will act up every 4 months. Three year warranty, mail it out to them, returns within a week or two normally.

I cannot attest for gaming on them, or any kind of photo work where color matters, but for a solid office monitor, I can't say anything bad (and their price is great too, we are deploying 23" monitors for like $150).

The three Acers I've had in the past never had any problems at all (unlike both my LGs), and 2 of them are running 4 years later still on my parent's PC. Their products aren't flashy or anything, but they work well.

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

Can anyoen convey to me what gaming at 120hz feels like? I haven't been able to experience it myself, and I'm deciding between getting an Asus 120hz display or the new 24" UltraSharp.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I haven't tried it out myself but if you get a rig that can pump out 120fps at an acceptable quality level it's "really loving good" according to some of my friends who play a lot of twitch games (FPS, some DOTA type games).

Otherwise it's not useful for you.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!
Hey, I just got a U2410 used off of Ebay, and when I hooked it up, it almost looks as if the color settings are set to 16 bit with a lot of vertical lines going on it kind of like when you don't have a video driver installed.

My other monitor is working just fine, but I installed the Dell's U2410 driver just to try it out.

Any advice or should I just try and return it?

Thanks!

Edit: I've tried both DVI ports and the RGB port and they are all the same. I've ever tried reverting it back to factory settings.

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

Eej posted:

I haven't tried it out myself but if you get a rig that can pump out 120fps at an acceptable quality level it's "really loving good" according to some of my friends who play a lot of twitch games (FPS, some DOTA type games).

Otherwise it's not useful for you.

I play Scout on TF2, so, yeah I think it might be a good investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Shameproof posted:

Can anyoen convey to me what gaming at 120hz feels like? I haven't been able to experience it myself, and I'm deciding between getting an Asus 120hz display or the new 24" UltraSharp.
It's loving awesome and I would never using a 60hz screen for gaming. Mind you I play a lot of QuakeLive and basically refused to upgrade from my old CRT's until I could get something better than 60hz, so I probably feel more strongly about this than most.