Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geeves
Sep 16, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The Ginny Bird thing sounds kind of Tolkien-ish (finding a way to cheat old age)

The Tom thing is loving...I can't even describe how stupid it is. "Child throws childish tantrum. THE DARK LORD RETURNS!"

And all I can think about was that retarded episode of Dexter last season when his infant son may or may not have scratched another kid while playing and he instantly thinks he has a dark passenger too. :downs:

geeves fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRACTURED ASS
Oct 27, 2010

The Ginny Bird thing sounds kind of Tolkien-ish (finding a way to cheat old age)

The Tom thing is loving...I can't even describe how stupid it is. "Child throws childish tantrum. THE DARK LORD RETURNS!"

I liked the bird thing, but I've always been a little :downs: about what I think is cool (I think it's sweet that they're still companions after they've gotten so old).

As for baby Tom, maybe Harry knows something stupid foreshadowed earlier in The Seventh Book That Never Was happened with Voldy's soul and it wiggled its way into his family. :haw:

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

geeves posted:

And all I can think about was that retarded episode of Dexter last season when his infant son may or may not have scratched another kid while playing and he instantly thinks he has a dark passenger too. :downs:

If that's the yardstick, then I'd say most small children have a dark passenger :).

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He has a bird named Ginny, who is actually his wife Ginny who turned herself into a bird instead of getting older. (I'm not even going to get into how weird as poo poo that is)

I'm guessing she's a phoenix, then?

(Unless budgies are somehow ageless, deathless beings in the Potterverse...)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Another reason that Ginny as Phoenix is bullshit is that it is constantly mentioned that trying to live forever is bad and death is just the next step.
Also that Dexter thing is not as retarded as the stuff that happens in the book.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Tartarus Sauce posted:

If that's the yardstick, then I'd say most small children have a dark passenger :).

I'm guessing she's a phoenix, then?

(Unless budgies are somehow ageless, deathless beings in the Potterverse...)

The reporter lists her as a Bird of Paradise. I don't think she's avoiding death, just avoiding looking old. Still a bit :psyduck: though.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

The reporter lists her as a Bird of Paradise. I don't think she's avoiding death, just avoiding looking old. Still a bit :psyduck: though.
I thought of the plant instead of the bird, and both are very strange

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 22, 2011

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

crazylakerfan posted:

I thought of the plant instead of the bird, and both are very strange

I can only imagine how Harry proposed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS1tEnfkk6M

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Landwhale posted:

I liked the bird thing, but I've always been a little :downs: about what I think is cool (I think it's sweet that they're still companions after they've gotten so old).

As for baby Tom, maybe Harry knows something stupid foreshadowed earlier in The Seventh Book That Never Was happened with Voldy's soul and it wiggled its way into his family. :haw:
I like the idea of the bird thing, but to mention in one line in the last chapter that this character that's been around for six of the seven books is "oh yeah and she's a bird now" is just weird and wrong.

I think it would have been neat if they introduced a new character as a bird mentioning that it used to be a woman, or if the transformation was part of a character development like midway through the series. That would have been cool. Throwing it in a single line at the very end for no reason is just dumb, at least to me.

I actually really liked the Dementor's Kisses being imbued into Voldemort's wand part, that was awesome and I wish it had been incorporated into the actual series somehow--maybe not at the finale, but at some point. Not sure what to make of the statue thing though, like I said it can't be much worse than (I doubt I need to spoil it for anyone in here, but I'd rather play it safe)the entire final duel the whole series built up to consisting of Voldy casting a single spell that ricochets and kills him. I mean, I get the whole 'Elder Wand won't kill its master' thing, but still, a single spell that ricochets is what the series builds to?

FRACTURED ASS
Oct 27, 2010

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

the entire final duel the whole series built up to consisting of Voldy casting a single spell that ricochets and kills him. I mean, I get the whole 'Elder Wand won't kill its master' thing, but still, a single spell that ricochets is what the series builds to?

Well, it's what it began with. :v:

I didn't mind the randomness just because 130+ years have passed by the epilogue and that's plenty of time for Ginny to decide she wants to be a pretty bird or some poo poo.

I agree with you completely with the Dementor's Kiss though, that would have been scary to read.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
In other news, the eBook version of the books will be released on Google Books.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/21/j-k-rowling-google-to-bring-pottermania-to-your-e-reader/

There'd better be a Kindle version too. I don't really want to use Calibre to convert the books around just because they limit the sale to one specific platform (ePub).

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I wanted to find something Harry Potter to read (after finishing a reread) and I came across Harry_Potter_and_the_Methods_of_Rationality. I liked it until somewhere along the way the story stops being fun and starts growing a stick up the rear.

Sigh. There is no good fanfiction (in general) is there?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

SystemLogoff posted:

I wanted to find something Harry Potter to read (after finishing a reread) and I came across Harry_Potter_and_the_Methods_of_Rationality. I liked it until somewhere along the way the story stops being fun and starts growing a stick up the rear.

I just started reading this and its hilarious.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

SystemLogoff posted:

When I was younger, I recall there was. I have no interest in trying to find the ones I enjoyed, because I know I will be proved wrong

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

If anyone can find a half-decent Tonks story that doesn't involve ridiculous relationships, please post a link.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

SystemLogoff posted:

It is really really bad. I think it was this thread but you can go back a few pages and we all tear it apart.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

SystemLogoff posted:

I remember reading one that was pretty okay; it was basically the "King's Cross" death waystation scene for a bunch of characters, with a bit of Terry Pratchet's Death from Reaper Man thrown in. Can't remember what it was called though.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

SystemLogoff posted:

Chronicles of Lucius is the only non-shipping story that I can remember the name of that I enjoyed. Whole thing was a retelling of Book/Movie 2 from the point of view of Lucius writing in his journal. Lucius is characterized as a dumb blond with a huge ego and a childish temper. No idea if it holds up as funny now, but it at least stuck with me a little.

Other than that, the only way to find decent fic is to pick a ship, and only read stories that are finished, over 10k words, and have more than 200 reviews. You still hit a loooot of duds but that helps cut through a lot of the crap. And if you don't want to read stories that focus on shipping... better learn divination because there's no good way to search for them and there's just wayyy too much Potterfiction to sort through.

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

I'm finally finishing this stuff after stopping halfway through book 6 a few years ago. Started 6 over again and finished it, planning on watching the 6th movie today, then I'll start up book 7.

Call me crazy but I want to read book 7 up through where the first movie ends, then watch part 1, and some light research tells me that it ends after Chapter 24. I don't want to look too hard for risk of spoiling something, does that sound about right?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I might have dreamed it but I read a decent fic about a grown up Harry who'd become an Auroer/diplomat and was visiting Hogwarts at the same time as a delegation of American wizards from an American magical school including some cajun sorcerers and of course Benjamin Franklin. It was pretty neat. I can't really remember much about it - other than the Americans arrived in magical 80s muscle cars.

SUPERIOR VENA CAVA
Sep 6, 2010
I remember reading an extremely long alternate-universe style story, where Harry has a little brother who is believed to be "the Boy Who Lived." It does turn into a Harry/Draco somewhere in the 4th story, but it's never a huge part of the story. Definitely long-winded, but it was pretty good if I remember correctly, and the world the author created is much more intricate and intense than the original one.

http://archive.skyehawke.com/authors.php?no=1324

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SystemLogoff posted:

Years of Rebellion and The Last Horcrux were two decent fan fiction stories and pretty well written, too.

Years of Rebellion was never finished as the author has major health problems. While it lingers quite a bit in the summer after book 5 and does suffer from some common fan fiction tropes, but it also pokes fun at itself. It's pretty political in a Game of Thrones kinda way. It also flushes out a lot of the secondary characters and gives them actual personalities in ways JKR never did.

The Last Horcrux is just a very bleak and brutal read. Reminded me a bit of The Road in how desolate everything is.

geeves fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 22, 2011

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Paragon8 posted:

I might have dreamed it but I read a decent fic about a grown up Harry who'd become an Auroer/diplomat and was visiting Hogwarts at the same time as a delegation of American wizards from an American magical school including some cajun sorcerers and of course Benjamin Franklin. It was pretty neat. I can't really remember much about it - other than the Americans arrived in magical 80s muscle cars.

This is the James Potter Series.

The plot is mostly interesting, and there's some cool concepts, but the execution needs work. The writing is... okay, but what they do with some of the next-generation characters is fairly inspired.

Mr. Moon
Oct 22, 2007
The sky is deep and dark and eternally high...

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I remember reading one that was pretty okay; it was basically the "King's Cross" death waystation scene for a bunch of characters, with a bit of Terry Pratchet's Death from Reaper Man thrown in. Can't remember what it was called though.

End of the Line, which is bloody good and manages to capture both Rowling's and Pratchett's characters very well.

Mr. Moon fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 23, 2011

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I've always wanted to read an alternate 7th book that shows what happens at Hogwarts from Nevilles perspective.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

I've always wanted to read an alternate 7th book that shows what happens at Hogwarts from Nevilles perspective.

Yeah, I think for me Hogwarts is what the series was all about rather than Harry Potter per se so for the final book to deviate from the setting so much really threw me of.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

There's a fanfic for that!

It goes straight up it's own rear end about halfway through though, so I can't really recommend it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

There's a fanfic for that!

It goes straight up it's own rear end about halfway through though, so I can't really recommend it.

Details please. I love reading about terrible fanfiction.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Details please. I love reading about terrible fanfiction.

It's not really terrible in the sense of "And then Sirus, deftly stroking the creatures beak, penetrated from behind." or anything, but it certainly takes itself super serious, and if memory serves the author is bug-gently caress insane.

It was called Neville Longbottom and the Year of Darkness, I believe.

Placenta_Souffle
Dec 30, 2010

finga lickin good

geeves posted:

Years of Rebellion and The Last Horcrux were two decent fan fiction stories and pretty well written, too.

The Last Horcrux is just a very bleak and brutal read. Reminded me a bit of The Road in how desolate everything is.

I'm reading The Last Horcrux fanfic, and I have to say that I'm really enjoying it! And you're right, it is very bleak, but that's the sort that I like. thanks for the link.

Does anyone know of any really good post-Hogwarts fics? Canon or AU, don't mind.

thebardyspoon posted:

I never imagined Snape as looking like Alan Rickman at all. I imagined him as looking more like the stereotypical Igor or something.

I never did either. If Alan was a lot younger, maybe. I think Richard Armitage looks a little Snapey, especially when his in the Robin Hood series.

Also Daniel Radcliffe doesn't look Harry for me.

Placenta_Souffle fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 25, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Placenta_Souffle posted:

Also Daniel Radcliffe doesn't look Harry for me.

He really doesn't. He's too stocky. I always imagined harry as thinner, even as he grew up outside of the Dursley's.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

He really doesn't. He's too stocky. I always imagined harry as thinner, even as he grew up outside of the Dursley's.

My biggest disappointment when watching the movies for the first time was his hair. It was supposed to be all messy but in the first movie it looked almost ironed for that stupid haircut.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

Also, the backstory in Harry Potter has always bugged me. There was a wizarding war culminating in the deaths of hundreds and the eventual driving-off of the Evil Bad Guy by a little kid less than 10 years ago and nobody talks about it? Or studies it in school? Or studies it in the wizardly equivalent of the CIA? I mean everyone seems to know even the smallest details of what happened, but nobody seems to have investigated why Voldemort hosed off or where he went or what he's doing? I mean, later on the Ministry issues a statement going "No he's not back in any way whatsoever", but surely the Auror Department or whatever was still working on it? Or is the wizarding world so fascist that all the power is controlled by the heads of the Ministry, to the point where they can forbid the police-equivalent to investigate a murder even when a witness claims it was the Dark Lord Returned?

I've always taken the view that the wizarding world is just kind of stagnant and decrepit.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I think it was proved in Order of the Phoenix that yes, the Magical world is governed by fascists.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is it just a concidence that Voldemort, Snape and Harry behaved like the Tale of Three Brothers? One of them went nuts for power and died for it, the other died for the love that he had lost, and the last wasn't really all that afraid of death at all.

Sugar Bean
Jun 6, 2011

Hangover of no regrets.

gmq posted:

My biggest disappointment when watching the movies for the first time was his hair. It was supposed to be all messy but in the first movie it looked almost ironed for that stupid haircut.

I was also disappointed in that decision. I mean, I was expecting this scrawny little kid with hosed up (black) hair, and what I got was pink cheeked, stocky looking Daniel Radcliffe. It was just an odd casting.
The hair was the worst in GoF though, that was...I don't even know what.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Sugar Bean posted:

Wasn't that around the time of one of the star wars prequels? His hair always reminded me of anakins.

Fake Edit: It was certainly after clone and filmed at the same time as sith.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Sugar Bean posted:

I was also disappointed in that decision. I mean, I was expecting this scrawny little kid with hosed up (black) hair, and what I got was pink cheeked, stocky looking Daniel Radcliffe. It was just an odd casting.

Apparently they let Rupert and Dan grow their hair out just for the gently caress of it. Emma Watson must have been furious. "They get to gently caress around with their hair, but I have to keep this loving haircut for the next five years? Oh, gently caress you."

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is it just a concidence that Voldemort, Snape and Harry behaved like the Tale of Three Brothers? One of them went nuts for power and died for it, the other died for the love that he had lost, and the last wasn't really all that afraid of death at all.

This is awesome. I seriously had not thought about it this way before... I feel really stupid.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SassySally posted:

This is awesome. I seriously had not thought about it this way before... I feel really stupid.

Not only that, Voldemort was after the Elder Wand of the nuts for power brother, Harry had the cloak of the one who accepted death, and Snape, uh... Well, it kind of falls apart for the Ressurection Stone since he only stopped the curse on it from killing Dumbledore. 2 out of 3 ain't bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Not only that, Voldemort was after the Elder Wand of the nuts for power brother, Harry had the cloak of the one who accepted death, and Snape, uh... Well, it kind of falls apart for the Ressurection Stone since he only stopped the curse on it from killing Dumbledore. 2 out of 3 ain't bad?

I guess you can say Harry himself was "Lily's ghost" with the whole eyes thing.

• Locked thread