Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons
I also love the dig on dubstep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Threatis posted:

gently caress

YES

http://djayres.com/2011/07/19/id-gently caress-me-ep-video/

If you dont buy this album you should die. Also the video rules too.

Haha that video is awesome

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Shawn the Sheep! Awesome!

Also drum and bass pigs...

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Threatis posted:

gently caress

YES

http://djayres.com/2011/07/19/id-gently caress-me-ep-video/

If you dont buy this album you should die. Also the video rules too.

You just made my night, man. Thank you.

Cocheese Sammy
Jul 12, 2010
Some new poo poo from a russian dub artist called Mars from the XSSR Music Academy. It's sick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_KIJOZXr7Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yPiXUKI-Co

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Cocheese Sammy posted:

Some new poo poo from a russian dub artist called Mars from the XSSR Music Academy. It's sick.

Not that I'm trying to be some massive genre nazi here, but that term you're using, really doesn't mean what you think it means.

Dub
Dubstep

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Cocheese Sammy posted:

ahahaha this sucks

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Stuntastic posted:

Yo Longtiem you're from GWU right? I'm starting in August, hit me up w/ your facebook info in a PM

I don't have PMs but dope, email me at dylanking42 at gmail dot com

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010
goon meets all over da world

Cocheese Sammy
Jul 12, 2010

Threatis posted:

ahahaha this sucks

v0v i like it

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Cocheese Sammy posted:

The first one is tolerable, the vocals on the second one just make it embarrassing.

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!
As a serious question that I hope can be answered:

When does musical nostalgia end and progressive talent become recognized as reputable? Not to offend, but people like Threatis seem too pretentious to me. I thought music was an objective art?

I love 'the good days' too, but are you too cynical or lacking objectivity to understand what others may perceive as great entertainment. To a certain extent and not to cite the previous dubstep example but isn't that a bit ethnocentric to believe your genre of music may be superior to another persons, even if that music is within the EDM genre itself? Pretentiousness and a lack of objectivity towards music such as this just makes people look like an uncultured person.

While I understand some of you may not like every song that is posted here, as I do not myself, I thin kthat each song offers its own unique qualities and I find it astounding that when a song comes up someone does not enjoy that I hear things like "poo poo sucks bruh", "hahaha human being", "lol hgahahahaha".

Well I'm done with my rant, but maybe just maybe someone here can shed some light on how to properly critique music without being an uncultured neckbeard.

fake edit: faggots on the innernet

Edit: To make sure I am also contributing music to this thread, here is a new album an acquaintance of mine just released. Been digging it all week.

http://audiphobia.bandcamp.com/album/audiphobia-lp

some great tracks in there (21 in total). I'm not technically sure if all of it is step or dubstep/etc but maybe someone can shed some light on that for me.

Dono fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 24, 2011

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I know your post wasnt directed at me, but I think it's poo poo too. so...
It's soulless, and feels like many of the decisions within the track have been made because they're expected to be there, rather than they're there because it's right.
I dont feel theres any life to it. It's just a bunch of noises arranged in a way that fits in with a genre with enough variation to not be boring. It's born straight out of the era of music where it's now almost too cheap and easy to make professional sounding electronic music and it shows. Thats just how it makes me feel though, I find a lot of dubstep like that - maybe because it's still relativly new as far as a real genre is concerned, it's the cool thing to make (every music production forum is saturated with poo poo dubstep now), and theres relatively few people with massive amounts of experience making it.

New talent does exist, especially in house music. It's the best it's been for a very long time, and theres so much amazing stuff coming out all over the place at the moment.

Dell_Zincht - thanks for the honest crit. I've shelved it for now, working on something else for a bit then i'll hit it up with your notes and fresh ears :)

edit: played at a party last night, rediscovered a few cracking tracks.
art department: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDaB1gI5tJk
Ben westbeech/deetron rmx: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0mf77jmQ54
Nathanfake/james holden rmx: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jmZTtFxcUg&feature=related

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 24, 2011

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Dono posted:

When does musical nostalgia end and progressive talent become recognized as reputable? Not to offend, but people like Threatis seem too pretentious to me. I thought music was an objective art?

I love 'the good days' too, but are you too cynical or lacking objectivity to understand what others may perceive as great entertainment. To a certain extent and not to cite the previous dubstep example but isn't that a bit ethnocentric to believe your genre of music may be superior to another persons, even if that music is within the EDM genre itself? Pretentiousness and a lack of objectivity towards music such as this just makes people look like an uncultured person.

While I understand some of you may not like every song that is posted here, as I do not myself, I thin kthat each song offers its own unique qualities and I find it astounding that when a song comes up someone does not enjoy that I hear things like "poo poo sucks bruh", "hahaha human being", "lol hgahahahaha".

Well I'm done with my rant, but maybe just maybe someone here can shed some light on how to properly critique music without being an uncultured neckbeard.

Pretty ethnocentric post bro

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Dono posted:

Edit: To make sure I am also contributing music to this thread, here is a new album an acquaintance of mine just released. Been digging it all week.

some great tracks in there (21 in total). I'm not technically sure if all of it is step or dubstep/etc but maybe someone can shed some light on that for me.

There's an entire other thread for dubstpe.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Dono posted:

none of the music posted here will ever live up to a 10th of what Dragonforce has done

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
Alright, so a few of my friends and I decided we wanted to make some club music, and we know pretty much nothing about dance music. We made this track, and I was hoping to get some critique from you guys.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

cubicle gangster posted:

I know your post wasnt directed at me, but I think it's poo poo too. so...
It's soulless, and feels like many of the decisions within the track have been made because they're expected to be there, rather than they're there because it's right.
I dont feel theres any life to it. It's just a bunch of noises arranged in a way that fits in with a genre with enough variation to not be boring. It's born straight out of the era of music where it's now almost too cheap and easy to make professional sounding electronic music and it shows. Thats just how it makes me feel though, I find a lot of dubstep like that - maybe because it's still relativly new as far as a real genre is concerned, it's the cool thing to make (every music production forum is saturated with poo poo dubstep now), and theres relatively few people with massive amounts of experience making it.

New talent does exist, especially in house music. It's the best it's been for a very long time, and theres so much amazing stuff coming out all over the place at the moment.
This is how I feel about the Skrillex dubstep that everyone does(I know there's more dubstep than this, I'm just talking about the one that's done to death). It's predictable and uninspiring, and like you said it seems like those dubstep songs sound like they are only trying to sound like dubstep. This is what they do: Fast pace wobble song or slow song is played into a fast pace wobble drop. It's like those electro house songs (example) that are all about the drop, except while the formulas the same they at least can sound different. And it doesn't even make sense to me, why do they build up to the wobble, wouldn't it make more sense to build up by using the wobble?

Although an artist who has used the wobble interestingly is Siriusmo. Speaking of him, has anyone listened to the Pearls and Embarrassments albums? I want to hear some opinions on it.

TheJetCityFix posted:

Alright, so a few of my friends and I decided we wanted to make some club music, and we know pretty much nothing about dance music. We made this track, and I was hoping to get some critique from you guys.

I'm no music pro but the problem with the song sounds like it's not finished. I think you should head over to this thread for some advice and help if you haven't already.

jvempire fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 24, 2011

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

TheJetCityFix posted:

It's really not my bag stylisticly, but a few quick things -
The synth is too noisy and lacks definition.
Theres very little groove or flow to it (which imo is the most important thing in dance music)
It sounds like you're trying to take a formula that would work for a band and just make it electronic, I think you could do with listening to more dance music and taking notes on progression. Although if you have and you're copying a US style I dont know/dont like, then whatever.
That being said, although I didnt like the track itself and it is a bit underdeveloped, the actual production quality is decent. Just keep listening to music and refining what you're doing.
It might help you to do more shorter things (1-2min) and play around with sounds a lot more if you're just diving in - it'll give you more room to experiment and figure out exactly what your way of doing it is.

Also this is techno - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibbHMAS4NAQ&
It's quite a specific genre.

edit: did a lot of work today.

Thumbs up/down? The arrangement is too basic, it just builds, kicks in then dies off. But the general idea and what i'm going for is there.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 24, 2011

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Dono posted:

Try not to be so homophobic the next time you call someone out by name. I know for a fact Threatis doesn't say poo poo like that so check that poo poo at the door.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

cubicle gangster posted:

It's really not my bag stylisticly, but a few quick things -
The synth is too noisy and lacks definition.
Theres very little groove or flow to it (which imo is the most important thing in dance music)
It sounds like you're trying to take a formula that would work for a band and just make it electronic, I think you could do with listening to more dance music and taking notes on progression. Although if you have and you're copying a US style I dont know/dont like, then whatever.
That being said, although I didnt like the track itself and it is a bit underdeveloped, the actual production quality is decent. Just keep listening to music and refining what you're doing.
It might help you to do more shorter things (1-2min) and play around with sounds a lot more if you're just diving in - it'll give you more room to experiment and figure out exactly what your way of doing it is.

Awesome, thanks for the input Cubicle!
It makes sense that it sounds like band formula, because we are bandmates that pretty much only play rock. Old habits die hard :)

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Dono posted:

this post misses the point. people post music in here for us to comment on and discuss. sometimes music that is posted is not really worth discussing because it hasn't explored new avenues or it hasn't done old ones well enough to be better than those that do

also so what if someone likes it, they can like it just fine and i can dislike it just fine. i can express my dislike with "lol human being" because it actually expresses a hell of a lot about how i feel about that song.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010
you have no idea how hard it was to type that without just ctrl a deleting all of it and replacing with a catchphrase

SassyCommander
Apr 23, 2009

cubicle gangster posted:

edit: did a lot of work today.

Thumbs up/down? The arrangement is too basic, it just builds, kicks in then dies off. But the general idea and what i'm going for is there.

I like it, it has a Claude Von Stroke 'Bird Brain' vibe. Is that what you were going for? I don't know anything about music production, so i cant give any constructive criticism, sorry.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Dono posted:

If you like/don't like something you hear in this thread, post about it, thats the point of this thread right? If someone has a problem with you not liking a song/genre/artist they like,it's their problem not yours, I will never understand people who get upset because someone on the internet doesn't like the same music as they do.

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 25, 2011

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

SassyCommander posted:

I like it, it has a Claude Von Stroke 'Bird Brain' vibe. Is that what you were going for?

It wasnt, but I do think he's a good producer :) I'll check that track out, thanks!

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Cocheese Sammy posted:

Surely that's not this Kyla?

edit: After listening again it sounds absolutely nothing like her. Oh well, good excuse to post a far superior track.

Gamest Mook fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 25, 2011

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Here's the latest edition of my radio show. Deep house and that sort of stuff.

http://soundcloud.com/dirty_/dirty-sunday-worship-07-24-11

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves
http://vimeo.com/19522002

Spoek Mathambo owns, is exactly what Ian Curtis would be like if he were born today and from Soweto

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
PNAU's new album "Soft Universe" is out now, and available for free streaming over soundcloud:

http://soundcloud.com/etcetcmusic/sets/pnau-soft-universe/

Really diggin' "Epic Fail"

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Can anyone link me a download link to Soulwax's essential mix? I can't find any download links for it. Or is it :filez:?

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
The Japanese Popstars album is reaaaaaally good, too bad their name is so terrible

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
edit: i'm a spaz. thinking of a different japanese \whatever band...

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011
Here's a great source for the latest funky-house music and related genres.
http://www.funkyhousemusic.com/

I remember a time when "Nu-Disco" was called.........
Filter House~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxHjopk0NP0&feature=related

Why not? Peep dem sounds!
http://soundcloud.com/snapjacks

Saucy Slit fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 27, 2011

Dono
Feb 15, 2007

Freak the Fuck Out!

Saucy Slit posted:

Definitely enjoyed this soundcloud. Is it yours?

Also: Welcome to SA, glad you made your first post here :)

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Saucy Slit posted:

Says you're in Memphis, is that correct? We could always use more talent here.

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011
Definitely in the dirty, dirty M-town baby!

Glad ya liked the soundcloud. I wrote, made, produced whatever the "disc-hoes" beat, just a tinkering. I have many being worked on now, I'm just too much of a perfectionist.

I mainly dabble in the disco,funk,French,Chicago,filter varieties of house. Enjoy the sets in the mean time.

Yes I'm happy to pop my posting cherry, if you can believe it I have been reading and frequenting this site since 2001 and finally got an account. It only took a decade.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Stuntastic posted:

http://vimeo.com/19522002

Spoek Mathambo owns, is exactly what Ian Curtis would be like if he were born today and from Soweto

im a pretty big JD fan so this should make me mad but nope. this rules.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Cyril Sneer posted:

PNAU's new album "Soft Universe" is out now, and available for free streaming over soundcloud:

http://soundcloud.com/etcetcmusic/sets/pnau-soft-universe/

Really diggin' "Epic Fail"

Looks like this got pulled. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Does everyone hate dubstep here? Just wondering.

Also what genre is this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCH1AsUydSc&