Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Without a minivan where will I keep my car parts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

Cream_Filling posted:

Pff, I'm never having kids so I can drive more cars. Deal with it, breeders :smugbert:.

Also, in addition to minivans nobody should have pickup trucks because nobody needs trucks and if you have one you hate to drive and if you need one because of where you live then obviously you should move.

In fact, I personally cut myself every time I get into one of my Porsches because if you're not willing to make sacrifices for driving you're not a real enthusiast.

I make sure to personally drink a glass of what fluids go into my Porsche

Nothing but the best for my baby cause I'm an enthusiast

:colbert:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

69sofine posted:

I make sure to personally drink a glass of what fluids go into my Porsche

Nothing but the best for my baby cause I'm an enthusiast

I usually do the opposite and mix in a couple hundred ccs of my own O negative for every quart of RedLine

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JackRabbitStorm posted:

I hate to bring this up from so far back, especially since you all seem to be having fun with this whole "Motronic expressed ignorant opinions so :regd08:" but the new Scion tC really gives me an old Corolla Sr5 vibe.

I mean, maybe it's just that kink in the window, but I can see the family resemblance:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Man where is that article where Grassroots Motorsports out autocrossed a Jaguar E-type in a Honda Odyssey? I know its around here somewhere...

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
About that Subaru WRX/Impreza split and the resultant coupe, here's one "artist's" impression:

Here's a better one:

And then there's this one:

Place your bets now!

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

"artist's" impressions

They're all horrendously ugly, the visual equivalent of a garbage truck crashing into a sewage processing plant.

The way a Subaru should be.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ideOEsshob0

Pfft, Minivans.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

They're all horrendously ugly, the visual equivalent of a garbage truck crashing into a sewage processing plant.

The way a Subaru should be.

Forgot one:

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

About that Subaru WRX/Impreza split and the resultant coupe, here's one "artist's" impression:

Here's a better one:

Place your bets now!

These are awful. They look bloated and ugly in the wrong way. gently caress a coupe too. Can't they get the same people who did 02-07?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Forgot one:

I'm definitely getting a ford focus vibe from this one. And I kinda like the first one that was posted, it looks over the top in a good way.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Without a minivan where will I keep my car parts?

We don't have a derailAILED thread in ai so ill ask here, I saw an old van like this way out in the backroads of california but it didn't have an engine cab on the front, just the slope down into the windows and very slab fronted. Ideas what it could have been? Never seen anything like it since.

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose

Lt Moose fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 4, 2016

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Dedicated WRX coupe you say? Hmmm....

Footwork
May 15, 2011

by Ozmaugh

dissss posted:

Anyway these things

certainly do count by any definition and are surprisingly good to drive for their size and weight. I can't imagine paying to run one though.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWYEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ELGRAND. These are neat, and we finally get them here. I like the Toyota Alphard, too.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

This too me takes everything I liked about the Bugeye 4dr Sedans and puts it into a fun 'club racer' type car. It screams fun without taking itself too seriously. I mean, if you're gonna have that big of a wing on a sedan, just commit with the ridiculousness throughout the rest of the car.

This car probably wouldn't look as good if it was on more realistic factory ride height/wheel size but still pretty sexy.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Here's a better one:

Place your bets now!

Subaru will decide based on focus studies for the headlights. Whichever one has the worst lights will go into production.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dave Inc. posted:

Subaru will decide based on focus studies for the headlights. Whichever one has the worst lights will go into production.

Worse than the current ones? Man, I think you're overestimating the speed at which technology can be implemented.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Also, here's an older best-guess rendering from the Japanese mag "best car"

What's the proper term for these? Speculative photoshops?

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Dedicated WRX coupe you say? Hmmm....

Looks like a horrible Cadillac/Audi TT baby

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

jeff8472 posted:

Looks like a horrible Cadillac/Audi TT baby

You take that back!

BTW, FYI this is a real car from 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=469mi4UOVK0
the Prodrive P2 prototype. It's a wild one-off custom car that was built off of a Subaru Japanese kei-car chassis and a heavily modified rally-spec STi drivetrain with fancy AWD and anti-lag system and everything. Very cool. It's basically what Subaru should be doing if they want to spin off the WRX.

It was styled by Peter Stevens, who's most famous for doing the McLaren F1 and the old 555 Subaru WRC cars.

I've heard part of the reason for spinning off the WRX is that the compromises necessary to make a single chassis both a volume seller and a performance-oriented car are becoming too difficult, and are increasing costs for the base Impreza.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 22, 2011

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
It looks better in the video than the still pictures.

edit: Does Subaru have a smaller car in the world market that could be used for a new WRC offering?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Interesting news: Chevy to sell diesel Cruze in U.S.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2011-07-22-diesels_n.htm

I wonder how this is going to go, and really hope its a popular option (and not something that ends up in the Horrible Mechanical Failures thread).

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Motronic posted:

Interesting news: Chevy to sell diesel Cruze in U.S.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2011-07-22-diesels_n.htm

I wonder how this is going to go, and really hope its a popular option (and not something that ends up in the Horrible Mechanical Failures thread).

It'll probably be this engine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_VM_Motori_engines#RA_420_SOHC

Should be ok? I wonder what the price premium will be.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
A 2.0 diesel w/ 148hp should be pretty alright. My biggest hope is that this pushes Ford to release a diesel Focus and/or Fiesta in the US.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
drat.....not until 2013. I can't wait that long. Gonna grab the best 2012 I can get, which probably means the Eco.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

Also, here's an older best-guess rendering from the Japanese mag "best car"

What's the proper term for these? Speculative photoshops?

This one looks like the most probable one of the bunch posted.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Q_res posted:

A 2.0 diesel w/ 148hp should be pretty alright. My biggest hope is that this pushes Ford to release a diesel Focus and/or Fiesta in the US.

Absolutely, THIS. If Ford doesnt respond with a diesel Fiesta/Focus of their own, this will be my next auto purchase. Any thoughts on what kind of mileage it would get?

EDIT: I just checked the Cruze diesel on the UK chevy site, looks like it only gets ~42mpg. (5.5l/100km)

thesurlyspringKAA fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 23, 2011

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Absolutely, THIS. If Ford doesnt respond with a diesel Fiesta/Focus of their own, this will be my next auto purchase. Any thoughts on what kind of mileage it would get?
My friend's Focus TDCi returns ~60mpg because he doesn't really do short hops in it, so gets optimal economy. So that's about 50mpg to you lot.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
GM CEO confirms the diesel Cruze for the 2013 model year.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Hmmm, interesting. Let's discuss it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Well GM is working hard to give rational people a reason to buy a Cruze over a Focus, I'll give them that.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

kimbo305 posted:

Hmmm, interesting. Let's discuss it.

Just like the new Jetta TDI, but (probably) less reliable and less likely to spontaneously combust?

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Skyssx posted:

Just like the new Jetta TDI, but (probably) less reliable and less likely to spontaneously combust?

What? Did you mean more likely? I would think reliability and lack of spontaneous combustion would be linearly related. I've never heard of a TDI spontaneously combusting. If this came close to the TDI (engine wise at least) it would still be quite good. My parents' 2000 TDI has 480k kms and is running fine...

Saw a few in Australia last December. According to the owner, the car seemed great. As has been said before, I think this will help drive more better small cars to be brought here.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

"The only U.S.-market compact car with a diesel now is the Volkswagen Jetta."

I think Audi, Mercedes, and BMW would like to have a conversation with this guy about his "research".

Hell, he's even wrong about Volkswagen, I'd say the Golf is a more "compact" car than the Jetta.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Skyssx posted:

Isn't spontaneous combustion sort of how a diesel works?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MikeyTsi posted:

Isn't spontaneous combustion sort of how a diesel works?

Actually, no. The combustion is caused by heat from compression.

:smugbert:

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

MikeyTsi posted:

"The only U.S.-market compact car with a diesel now is the Volkswagen Jetta."

I think Audi, Mercedes, and BMW would like to have a conversation with this guy about his "research".

Hell, he's even wrong about Volkswagen, I'd say the Golf is a more "compact" car than the Jetta.

He meant the only one that's been sold. I kid, of course, but I think when Americans think Diesel we're pretty lucky if they think Volkswagen. Every time I've ever mentioned it to non-gearheads they either think of the (admittedly, terrible) attempts by domestic manufacturers decades ago, or diesel pickups with smoke tunes darkening the sky at every stoplight. Not exactly a positive collective memory.

How reliable are Ford and GM diesels in europe, compared to their German counterparts?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The GM diesel is a VM Motori, Fiat/Chrysler uses them in a lot of their cars too. Ford's diesels are a joint venture and shared with PSA Peugeot Citroen. Pretty sure they are all fine?

The Cruze diesle engine is up to 160hp for 2011 which makes it more powerful than either of the gas engines, and given that the Cruze is already the most expensive car in its class a diesel will probably be very close to $30k. It will be a tough thing to sell. On the other hand, moving all their products up-market is really what GM needs to do and the Cruze has done pretty well so far despite its price.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MarsellusWallace posted:

How reliable are Ford and GM diesels in europe, compared to their German counterparts?
Pretty decent. The Ford ones I know get dual-mass flywheel issues, but that's more the nature of that technology, rather than Ford specifically.

To be honest, most diesels sold by major manufacturers here over the last decade or so have been reasonable. Some better than others, of course, but we pretty much got rid of the "Yeah, you partsbinned this out of a truck, didn't you?" days a long time ago.

Honestly, for the average driver, modern diesels are just about perfect. My mother runs one now because, driven exactly the same way she usually does, the only difference she notices is much better fuel economy.