Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Buh. So I guess The Film Vault is over, at least in its latest incarnation. So what are people's favorite comedy/movie podcasts? Other than Doug natch.
The Flop House is objectively the best podcast. Just listen to Emmy award-winning writer Eliott Kalan pitch a Ziggy movie:
http://traffic.libsyn.com/theflophouse/Flop_House_Movie_Minute_4_-_Comic_Heroes.mp3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Flop House is amazing, of course, as is We Hate Movies. The latter goes into a really good detail about the movie proper, while still laughing at it. Their newest about Captain America (the 90's terror) is great all the way through.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Ok, I'll have to give the best show another chance. The only time I tried it, I put it on during a 15 minute drive. Half of it was theme songs, and the six minutes of content didn't say much. it felt the way long radio shows do when they know they need to stretch to fill time.

Part of the problem is that the audio setup in my car makes me put the iPod in the back seat, where it's hard to jump forward while driving.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

wafflesnsegways posted:

Ok, I'll have to give the best show another chance. The only time I tried it, I put it on during a 15 minute drive. Half of it was theme songs, and the six minutes of content didn't say much. it felt the way long radio shows do when they know they need to stretch to fill time.
Yeah that's how it came across to me. He also has that measured cadence of a long time radio show host, with lots of pregnant pauses. Although I do have a lot of respect for a host that can carry a 2+ hour long show basically by themselves. That's a lot of time to fill, even with calls and regular segments.

I'm pretty much done with the radio format though, I used to listen to a lot of morning radio, and local shows got me through many a mundane day (some were even good), but the "interesting people just talking" podcasts have spoiled me. I just carry an Ipod around all the time now.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Whoever was doing the impression of T.J. Miller on the latest Doug Loves Movies is my favorite impressionist of all time.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

No doubt. I have a couple of shirts but goddamn! While it's kind of cool, fifty bucks is a lot to pay for something that nobody will ever appreciate but the owner.

Am I supposed to just bust it out in a crowd and be like "What's up!?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_coin#Challenging

quote:

The challenge, which can be made at any time, begins with the challenger drawing his/her coin, and slapping or placing the coin on the table or bar. In noisy environments, continuously rapping the challenge coin on a surface may initiate the challenge. (Accidentally dropping a challenge coin is considered to be a deliberate challenge to all present.) Everyone being challenged must immediately produce the coin for their organization and anyone failing to do so must buy a round of drinks for the challenger and everyone else who has their challenge coin. However, should everyone challenged be able to produce their coin, the challenger must buy a round of drinks for the group.

I can see the appeal, but it's just not a common enough thing outside of the military.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Maarak posted:

I can see the appeal, but it's just not a common enough thing outside of the military.

So it's like the original Bros Icing Bros?

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.

shotgunbadger posted:

Flop House is amazing, of course, as is We Hate Movies. The latter goes into a really good detail about the movie proper, while still laughing at it. Their newest about Captain America (the 90's terror) is great all the way through.

Can you enjoy them without having seen the movies? For some reason I like funny movie chat a lot but I don't actually see many movies.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Can you enjoy them without having seen the movies? For some reason I like funny movie chat a lot but I don't actually see many movies.

I use them as movie recommendation services myself.

Sometimes I even make it all the way trough. Jesus Christ Sucker Punch was boring.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Maarak posted:

Yeah, I know the dilly with challenge coins, but if on the planet there are only 100 people with them then it's a moot point kind of.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Fil5000 posted:

As an aside, Keeping Up Appearances is generally not that well regarded in the UK, except perhaps for the elderly and the mentally ill. That said, at least it's not My Hero.

I've heard as much before. It's an old show, but it can be funny. It aired on public broadcasting here until a couple of years ago. They may still play it from time to time.

e: I've never heard of "My Hero".

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Don't bother looking it up.
As for British yoof nicking hip-hop slang, I'm pretty sure that it's one of the first jokes in the film that they call the police "the federales" despite, uh, Britain not being a federation. Or at least I found it funny.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Fledgling Gulps posted:

It helps to like, see the trailer or something at least, but really yea, they do a good job explaining things.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Yay, we're talking about Flop House.

Sort of fried myself trying to listen to the entire backlog (seriously, there are a poo poo TON of episodes), but it was all worth it for Stewart's (?) confusion about the ending of the movie "Mirrors."

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
What?

As of tonight I have listened to every episode (except the two most recent) twice.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

This is sort of unrelated but I learned today that Brian Posehn is appearing at the Gathering of the Juggalos, which only confirms my suspicion that he's a dumb unfunny pandering nerd who exemplifies the bottom of the barrel of alternative comedy. I always dislike him whenever he appears on Comedy Bang Bang or other podcasts.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I really want to hear a podcast of Brian Posehn and Patton Oswalt getting high and playing Dungeons and Dragons. They have both mentioned doing that and I think it would be great.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

HaterBaby posted:

This is sort of unrelated but I learned today that Brian Posehn is appearing at the Gathering of the Juggalos, which only confirms my suspicion that he's a dumb unfunny pandering nerd who exemplifies the bottom of the barrel of alternative comedy. I always dislike him whenever he appears on Comedy Bang Bang or other podcasts.

... or they paid him enough money that he felt like it was worth it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

HaterBaby posted:

Pretty appropriate username.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

The Modern Leper posted:

Yay, we're talking about Flop House.

Sort of fried myself trying to listen to the entire backlog (seriously, there are a poo poo TON of episodes), but it was all worth it for Stewart's (?) confusion about the ending of the movie "Mirrors."

That was one of my favorite things, his just raw inability to grasp that stupid ending made me giggle.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

HaterBaby posted:

Yeah, he's just not very funny, but his oddball looks will probably keep getting him lots of jobs as a character actor.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW
edit: n/m theres actually no way i can support juggalos.

Teepkick Shakur fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 25, 2011

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Mr. Squishy posted:

Don't bother looking it up.
As for British yoof nicking hip-hop slang, I'm pretty sure that it's one of the first jokes in the film that they call the police "the federales" despite, uh, Britain not being a federation. Or at least I found it funny.

No worries. Nobody in America would say that either. I think it was a nod to Martin Lawrence since "Hot Fuzz" features a lot about "Bad Boys". Or it could be a total fluke.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
This is only kind of tangentially related to the podcast comedy scene and will only make sense to people who know mid 90's hardcore, but my mind was blown when I learned that Eric Wareheim (of "Tim & Eric) played bass for the band "Ink & Dagger"

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?
Scott Aukerman was on the latest episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm for about 10 seconds!

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

redz posted:

Scott Aukerman was on the latest episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm for about 10 seconds!

He was also on Childrens hospital for about the same amount of time!

ASL NIGGA
Nov 26, 2009

by T. Mascis
Jay Mohr's podcast owns, y'all

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Big names on CBB today. David Wain, Ken Marino, and Paul Rudd.

El Goatherd
Jun 25, 2005

hate is art

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

e: I've never heard of "My Hero".

Be grateful for this. It's terrible. Also, Guy Ritchie is a mockney class-tourist.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Is my iTunes hosed or was there no UYD last week? 281?

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

I was a little disappointed with Ken Marino's appearance on CBB after his Who Charted episode which was fantastic. He just kept bailing on bits and a couple jokes just fell flat.

Paul Rudd and David Wain were both really funny though.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I kind of felt bad for them, since it sounded like the rapping was sprung on them on the air. It sounded like they didn't want to do it, but were trying to be good sports. Can't say I blame them.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Riptor posted:

Is my iTunes hosed or was there no UYD last week? 281?

Last week was 280, today's podcast should be 281.

e:UYD is weird, when do they record them, Thursday nights? And then they don't even make it up on the front page until monday if you're lucky.

bango skank fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 25, 2011

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Anyone going to WTF @ the Bellhouse tonight? I have tix to see the 9pm show.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

King Lou posted:

Anyone going to WTF @ the Bellhouse tonight? I have tix to see the 9pm show.

Was supposed to but now I'm not, and after looking at the guest list I wish I was. Though I would love to see Jodi Lennon and Amy Sedaris on the same podcast but that's because I loved Exit 57 and want them to talk about it together.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Guys I agree with David in calling televison the plug in drug.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Wow. I'm going on and on. Hope this answers your question. As I love language I was really interested in replying to your post comprehensively. Cheers!

No, that was great. Glad to hear that the film is just as accessible in foreign markets as well as domestic. It's every bit as good as Shaun of the Dead IMO, and deserves as much publicity as it can get. Joe (Cornish) isn't a household name over here, but has a good cult following and the film got good press. It took over £1m in it's first weekend, but it's £9m budget was surprisingly high - not because of how it looks (which I think is great personally), but for a British film that isn't a period drama and directed by a newcomer. I hope he recoups the lot and makes a tidy profit on top.

Also, American fascination for our camp 70s sitcoms amuses us greatly. We tend to relegate them to Saturday afternoon reruns and TV channels dedicated to older shows. Kinda like TV Land as far as I can tell, but more 70s/80s stuff than shows from before that time. Can't say I was ever a fan of that particular title myself, but it's nice it's still remembered :)

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

This week's My Brother, My Brother and Me went loving bonkers. Holy god.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Just got back from the 9pm WTF show. It was loving amazing. 2.5 hours of show. Everyone was great but Scott Adsit from 30 Rock was killer. So quick. Seth Meyers was good, too. loving amazing time for $10!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Paul F Tompkins is currently doing shows all week here in Montreal for Just For Laughs. Its a show about the different jobs he had during his life and his ongoing quest to not getting yelled at. I've seen it last night and it was so good--laughed all the way through, anyone should check it out if they're in the area, or area-adjacent!

• Locked thread