Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The best TF map is The Rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pheener
Jun 7, 2003

Extraordinary!
Is there a way to play Strife, with voice acting, in GZDoom? I've played it before through Zdoom, but I don't recall it having any voice acting, except for the intro, so was I doing something wrong?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Pheener posted:

Is there a way to play Strife, with voice acting, in GZDoom? I've played it before through Zdoom, but I don't recall it having any voice acting, except for the intro, so was I doing something wrong?

You need to load VOICES.WAD as a PWAD (or drag it onto your zdoom/gzdoom exe), then you should get the voice acting. The first guy you come across (who gives you the crossbow) has voice acting, so you should know pretty soon if something's up!

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
As long as you have VOICES.WAD in the same directory as GZDoom and STRIFE1.WAD, it will pick it up automatically when you load STRIFE1.WAD.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Alternately you can place the strife folder in the GZdoom directory, and have ZDL load the strife wad from there. Works for me!

This is more complicated, surely. I just think strife deserves it's own directory. :colbert:

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 23, 2011

Pheener
Jun 7, 2003

Extraordinary!
Thanks for all the advice, but I'm no newbie to ZDL and such, I just must've always just dragged the wad over without thinking. Definitely looking forward to going through this again.

TIHan
Jul 23, 2011
You can actually play some strife levels in Co-op using Skulltag, except it crashes when you try to exit a level. But, you can play Strife DM.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
For anybody that wants to play Quake 1 custom single player levels, Quake Injector is easily the best way to install and play them. All you need to do is select a level (or level set) you want to play, click on "download" and it'll install it for you and let you run what you downloaded without having to gently caress with command parameters. It really should go into the OP.

TIHan
Jul 23, 2011

closeted republican posted:

For anybody that wants to play Quake 1 custom single player levels, Quake Injector is easily the best way to install and play them. All you need to do is select a level (or level set) you want to play, click on "download" and it'll install it for you and let you run what you downloaded without having to gently caress with command parameters. It really should go into the OP.

Wow! That is a really nice find.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Noobtubing is surprisingly fun in Doom (click for huge):

Im playing a bit of Real Guns Hardcore and is a total surprise, tons of guns, more enemies (some of them modified to be way faster/stronger) and guns arent that bad looking in doom engine. Definately a different alternative to brutal doom.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Noobtubing is surprisingly fun in Doom (click for huge):

Im playing a bit of Real Guns Hardcore and is a total surprise, tons of guns, more enemies (some of them modified to be way faster/stronger) and guns arent that bad looking in doom engine. Definately a different alternative to brutal doom.

Guaranteed I've played real guns with you in the past couple of days! If you are playing online, that is.

It's a lot of fun for anyone who hasn't checked it out.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!

Wikipedia Brown posted:

The best TF map is The Rock.

This is the Prison one, right? Yeah, that one is amazing

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

fishmech posted:

This reminds me, is anyone aware of a nice front end for playing back doom.exe/doom2.exe compatible demos in a compatibility-focussed source port like PRBOOM+ or Chocolate Doom? When I was running Windows XP I managed to properly associate demo .lmps with PRBOOM+ for that, but can't figure out how to do it properly in Windows 7. And ZDL which I normally use as a launcher doesn't seem to have any way to autostart a demo when loaded.

QLZD should do it, just add the lmp to the file list. You may need to set the compat flags in the little command line box though. I just tried a plutonia speed run demo with prboom+ and it worked a peach.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SavageMessiah posted:

QLZD should do it, just add the lmp to the file list. You may need to set the compat flags in the little command line box though. I just tried a plutonia speed run demo with prboom+ and it worked a peach.

I can't find this QLZD thing, do you have a link?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

fishmech posted:

I can't find this QLZD thing, do you have a link?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420790&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

In the OP, under "quickly launchering GZDoom". (Ctrl+F failed me, too).

It's the one I use, it's lightweight and good! I overwrote my profiles a few times because I'm dumb, but now it's great.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Speaking of QLZD profiles: SavageMessiah, I was wondering if it's too much trouble to make it produce an .ini file with each profile separated by a blank line and each individual WAD file path on a separate line?

I've had to edit it a couple of times and though it was easily doable, it was a bit tough to find what I needed.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I'd basically have to completely rewrite the loading/saving to do that, I'm relying on Autohotkey's ini file support for all of that. I'm already looking at rewriting the thing in a more rational programming language, the only reason I haven't done it already is that I've been looking for a way to do it and still keep it < 1MB with no external dependencies (and not be painful to write).

Do you just want this for readability?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SavageMessiah posted:

Do you just want this for readability?

Easy editing, pretty much. It's not really important by any means (I rarely do it), which is why I asked if it's too much trouble.

Seeing as it is a bigger pain in the rear end than I thought it would be it's not something to worry about :tipshat:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I'll keep it in mind for the next version, if I ever make it.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
I'm putting the music wad together, would 8 instrumentals be enough for a good doom experience? http://tindeck.com/listen/vtbq

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Didn't see this posted yet - John Carmack gave an interview with Gamespot and discussed his plans for Doom 4 on consoles, and how it fits in with id's plans for Rage.

quote:

[...]in terms of Doom 4, what's the status of that?

I know we're not supposed to talk about it, but I'll tell you a couple of things. (Looks at media minder across the table.) So, as soon as Rage ships, the core tech team moves over to start making things happen on the Doom 4 project. There's me and the systems programmer types that have been on Rage for so long. We're going to move over to the Doom team and a lot of resources are going to migrate over there. And that's a necessary and key aspect of being a larger company; it gives us this ability to migrate people between the projects because it was something that we were really feeling the pinch before this. If you've got 50 people working on a project, it's not useful to have all of them on day one on there; you really want to have a smaller team building things. Then at the end now, we would have a hundred people on the team.

That's the model that we're moving toward…being able to migrate parts of the company between projects on there kind of makes for a better schedule. And the only thing I've really talked about on Doom 4, technology-wise, is that we did make the decision that…well, my biggest pride and joy about Rage is that I won the fight for 60 frames per second on there, but it involves significant trade-offs. You can't have 30 guys crawling all over you at 60 frames per second at this graphics technology level because it's painful. It's a lot of effort to do that. But, we did make the call that for Doom 4, the single-player is going to go 30 frames per second on the consoles. So we can have 30 demons crawling all over you on there. But the multiplayer is still going to be 60 frames per second, so it has the quality feel that Rage has.
I'm actually rather excited to see 30-monster firefights coming to Doom 4. Let's just hope they learned lessons from Doom 3 and build on that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Zero Star posted:

Didn't see this posted yet - John Carmack gave an interview with Gamespot and discussed his plans for Doom 4 on consoles, and how it fits in with id's plans for Rage.
I'm actually rather excited to see 30-monster firefights coming to Doom 4. Let's just hope they learned lessons from Doom 3 and build on that.

Or thirty-monster closets... :tinfoil:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I've grown to accept Doom 3 over the years. Maybe one day I will also accept Doom 4 for what it probably will be. :shobon:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I thought the id team were going to do Quake V after Rage?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I wonder - what if you took Doom, Quake, and Quake 2, showed them to some 10 year old kids, and asked them which game had the best graphics? For the sake of fairness, you could run each game through source ports and have them render at the same resolution.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Maxwell Adams posted:

I wonder - what if you took Doom, Quake, and Quake 2, showed them to some 10 year old kids, and asked them which game had the best graphics? For the sake of fairness, you could run each game through source ports and have them render at the same resolution.

That would be like asking 20 year olds whether Galaxian or Space Invaders had better graphics. It all looks the same probably, although Quake 1 stands out because of its dark, contrasty color palette.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
So I've got an issue with KDiZD. Every time I reach the unnecessarily gaudy intermission with the 3D map and ridiculous stat pages, I run into "No map data loaded" and the only way to continue is to nextmap it and lose the progress of the map prior. This is with both skulltag and GZDoom. It almost works with zdoom, though sometimes it gets stuck in the stat selection and won't allow me to get to the "exit intermission" tab.

Is there any way around this? I think I recall an older version with the classic intermission screen, but I haven't been able to dig anything up.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Sort of in the spirit of the above graphics discussion, here's some screenshots from recent Quake singleplayer maps. These are using Fitzquake, which is a fairly faithful GLQuake-ish renderer (as opposed to ports like DarkPlaces that add special effects).

"A Roman Wilderness of Pain"

"Unforgiven"

"The Altar of Storms"

"The Anomaly 2: Water"

The shots below are from me working my way through the mini-episode "Arcanum"; I'm probably not halfway through yet.

(BTW while I recommended Arcanum in an earlier post, I hear that there are some save/load issues later in the episode. Sounds like they will be addressed in a re-release later this year.)

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Johnny Law posted:

Sort of in the spirit of the above graphics discussion, here's some screenshots from recent Quake singleplayer maps.

Where is a good place to find some Quake maps that really show off new engine features? Coop play is a plus.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Quake Injector ( http://haukerehfeld.de/projects/quakeinjector/ ) has been mentioned a couple of times here; it will let you sort by release date as well as by "rating" (not sure where the rating comes from), and it makes it really easy to try stuff out.

http://www.celephais.net/board/ is the current hangout for Quake mappers so you will see new releases there, and you can also ask for opinions about stuff like "best recent maps for co-op play".

I'm not actually sure about the best way to do co-op, especially for recent maps that tend to require certain Quake ports (that support larger numbers of entities or similar changes). As far as I can tell, Fitzquake for example does support hosting and connecting to co-op games, but I haven't tried it myself.

If you're playing a "vanilla" map that doesn't require any particular Quake engine, then an approach that I _have_ done myself is to run a QuakeWorld server (mvdsv) using the exCoop mod, and have the players connect to that using ezQuake. But that will probably be too much hassle if you're not already up to speed on running QW servers.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 26, 2011

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

treat posted:

So I've got an issue with KDiZD. Every time I reach the unnecessarily gaudy intermission with the 3D map and ridiculous stat pages, I run into "No map data loaded" and the only way to continue is to nextmap it and lose the progress of the map prior. This is with both skulltag and GZDoom. It almost works with zdoom, though sometimes it gets stuck in the stat selection and won't allow me to get to the "exit intermission" tab.

Is there any way around this? I think I recall an older version with the classic intermission screen, but I haven't been able to dig anything up.

I had problems with KDiZD crashing (not during the intermission screen) and downloading the newest GZDoom fixed it. I realize this might not be at all relevant to your issue but it's all I personally can offer, so maybe try updating if you haven't.

On that note, the earlier discussion about KDiZD made me load up and go through it again these past few days. Verdict: still owns, gently caress the haters :colbert:

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

emoticon posted:

That would be like asking 20 year olds whether Galaxian or Space Invaders had better graphics. It all looks the same probably, although Quake 1 stands out because of its dark, contrasty color palette.

Yeah, I mean on that TF intro video that got linked earlier in the thread, The comments that weren't people thinking it was a New Team Fortress or going "there's a team fortress before 2?" were people saying it looked like Minecraft :bang:

And Galaxian's graphics are technically better. But the aliens all look like crappy butterflies. Space Invaders is cooler looking.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Don't think it's been posted yet, but everybody should give the singleplayer Doom wad "Unloved" a shot. It's... certainly something. I literally have no idea A: What the gently caress is going on and B: What the hell I'm supposed to do now. (Seriously, I'm an hour in, I've got the three keycards, I don't know where to use the red one, and apparently I still need to collect the skull keys.)

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

RickVoid posted:

Don't think it's been posted yet, but everybody should give the singleplayer Doom wad "Unloved" a shot. It's... certainly something. I literally have no idea A: What the gently caress is going on and B: What the hell I'm supposed to do now. (Seriously, I'm an hour in, I've got the three keycards, I don't know where to use the red one, and apparently I still need to collect the skull keys.)

That's possibly the least encouraging recommendation I've ever read.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rather Dashing posted:

That's possibly the least encouraging recommendation I've ever read.

How about this: Clever use of a hub world, terrifying levels, and is the only time Doom has ever legitimately made me feel frightened.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

How about this: Clever use of a hub world, terrifying levels, and is the only time Doom has ever legitimately made me feel frightened.

Yeah, it's a really, really good campaign. Just don't play it on UV, because you WILL die a thousand times. Treat the difficulty levels as 'Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard, Insane' rather than the usual 'Ignore, Ignore, Ignore, Normal, Hard'.

The sequel is shaping up excellently, too. Fantastic use of sound and music in that so far.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, it's a really, really good campaign. Just don't play it on UV, because you WILL die a thousand times. Treat the difficulty levels as 'Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard, Insane' rather than the usual 'Ignore, Ignore, Ignore, Normal, Hard'.

I play most custom wads on Hurt me Plenty :ohdear: . I've completed the two Dooms on UV but it seems that most custom levels are a touch harder and usually have me moving along at a snail's pace, quick loading thousands of times.

I'll give it a go then - currently enjoying a blast through Shores of Hell with Brutal Doom and the 2011 music.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 26, 2011

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I decided to replay Heretic, and... did I accidentally grab a weird custom WAD or was this game insanely hard? Compared to DOOM there's like 200x the number of enemies. Before I'd even grabbed the ethereal crossbow I was opening doors and finding 5 or 6 golems behind them.

e: Also how do I set up Chocolate Doom Raven Branch to use WASD instead of the arrow keys, and strafe instead of turning?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rather Dashing posted:

I play most custom wads on Hurt me Plenty. :ohdear: I've completed the two Dooms on UV but it seems that most custom levels are a touch harder and usually have me moving along at a snail's pace, quick loading thousands of times.

Is it just me or is there a big leap in difficulty between HMP and UV? I blasted through all of Doom on HMP without much trouble*, but on UV I die four or five times on E1M1.

* Except Thy Flesh Consumed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Turns out in Brutal doom kicking a zombie marine doesn't out right kill them! I learned this after kicking a shotgunner to focus on a cacodemon just for him to stand back up and shoot and kill me from behind!