Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

The Cheshire Cat posted:

What do you want to bet that those modders bitch about mainstream DRM schemes like SecuROM and such almost constantly?

Honestly, I wouldn't bother putting in the effort to reverse engineer it and just warn everyone away from them, with the (legitimate) reasoning that they will destabilize the game.

Honestly, the main reason we're concerned about this is that if it catches on to say Nexus and also because Skyrim is keeping the .nif format. Which means if we do nothing about it, Skyrim mods could be a clusterfuck too. I think it's enough for us to keep on top of it and let those same tools they use to mod the game automatically correct or neutralize what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Naky posted:

Yeah, well, the main guy doing it right now has two mods he's done it to - one is a port of clothing from a commercial game, and the other is all weapons from FPSBanana/MW2 with three original weapons he's done himself. Except those three weapons are nearly 40k polygons each, I poo poo you not. Out of spite, I've ripped out a bunch of the useless poo poo he had on there in an effort to cut down on the polycounts and included them in a separate container with a giant warning in the cabinets esp for The Armory. Needless to say, they will not be added to the leveled lists or anything. We've stopped one step short of re-releasing his stuff DRM free because we don't think his mods are really that good to be worth it, but I think it's enough if we can get the NifTools updated to neutralize it period.
I can imagine his thought process: "More polygons is more better!" :downs: As an aside, why is it always low quality mod/content producers are overprotective of what they do? Some sort of unearned sense of entitlement, or some such?

So how exactly can Skyrim keep the .nif format? It uses a different engine, right? Is it just so they can keep using whatever tools they use to make content?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kgummy posted:

I can imagine his thought process: "More polygons is more better!" :downs: As an aside, why is it always low quality mod/content producers are overprotective of what they do? Some sort of unearned sense of entitlement, or some such?

So how exactly can Skyrim keep the .nif format? It uses a different engine, right? Is it just so they can keep using whatever tools they use to make content?

Generally the people with the fewest ideas are the ones who believe their ideas are the most precious.

As for .nif, it's just a model format right? There's nothing explicitly tying it to a particular engine, so as long as they wrote the new engine to be able to parse the files, they could still keep using it. The reason is most likely exactly what you said; so they can keep using the same tools.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Kgummy posted:

As an aside, why is it always low quality mod/content producers are overprotective of what they do? Some sort of unearned sense of entitlement, or some such?

In my experience these modders tend to see their projects as artistic endeavors and they are actually "protecting the artistic integrity of their mod." My theory is that this is just a weird pseudo-intellectual excuse to keep anyone from making better mods that outshine their only source of popularity. These are the same people that have a personal photo album on their profile showing off their badass katana or their handsome/beautiful face lit only by the screen of a macbook.

The really, really good modders tend to actually work in some kind of creative/technical field to begin with and are far more relaxed. They also produce the best content for the most part.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Omnicarus posted:

In my experience these modders tend to see their projects as artistic endeavors and they are actually "protecting the artistic integrity of their mod." My theory is that this is just a weird pseudo-intellectual excuse to keep anyone from making better mods that outshine their only source of popularity. These are the same people that have a personal photo album on their profile showing off their badass katana or their handsome/beautiful face lit only by the screen of a macbook.

The really, really good modders tend to actually work in some kind of creative/technical field to begin with and are far more relaxed. They also produce the best content for the most part.

I think the popularity/dependency is the biggest one. His threads are full of people requesting him to do things left and right because they can't open his files to do it themselves. It's always little things like deleting a holster on his clothing because they want to use the holster mod instead, or adding a silencer to a gun because he didn't bother to make one, etc.

So ultimately it's just a form of control and dependency.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
What I've never been able to understand is that I can go on the Nexus and--on an almost daily basis--find mods that have already been done five or six times. Take for example, this Hunting Rifle SILENCED mod which has had no less than TEN updates to it. What does it do? It adds a silenced hunting rifle to the game. Why the author deemed it necessary to update the mod ten times, or do something that's been done better by a number of other mods, is beyond me.

Or mods that add weapons from FO3 to New Vegas. Go ahead, do a search for those. You'll find a whole mess of them, all varying in quality. It's bizarre.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Naky posted:

To who though ;_; Basically, going to the NifTools team and working together with them every time something like this poo poo pops up that's about the only thing we can do. I don't see Obsidian/Bethesda caring.

Not to get laughed out of the thread, but the Nexus I guess. It's hard to know what will/won't set them off though, like a 50/50 chance they'll ban whoever reported it. Surely there is cross pollination between there and the other site?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Actually I recall a DRM effort somebody made on the Bethesda Forums. The author was basically trying to introduce a tool that would "protect" content from being used by unauthorized third parties. The guy got booed and heckled off of the thread, and eventually it was closed down by a Moderator.

So basically, there's still some hope that DRM--in any form--has enough of a stigma attached to it that it'll be relegated a fringe community, and the majority will see it for what it is (manbabies trying to keep their halfbaked stolen models from being stolen by somebody else) and move on without them.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I went to try and find an old part on the nexus. Instead I found this. Just read the description. It starts off normal and about paragraph two it goes completely batshit. It's a custom golf club that has no cosmetic difference from the regular golf club butit is slightly lighter for weak asian girls to use. :psyduck:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=37105

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Chronojam posted:

Not to get laughed out of the thread, but the Nexus I guess. It's hard to know what will/won't set them off though, like a 50/50 chance they'll ban whoever reported it. Surely there is cross pollination between there and the other site?

Not really, no. F3U is full of banned Nexus users or users who are disillusioned with Nexus. This is not to say that Nexus would support it, but we're still trying to keep word of this on the down low for the time being until the tools can be updated to counter it.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Is there a way to skip movies, namely Old World Blue's intro movie? Something in my game is making me crash as soon as the movie ends. I'd like to try a few things to fix it before coming in here crying about my mod load order, but the mandatory movie each time is a bit too much.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Omnicarus posted:

I went to try and find an old part on the nexus. Instead I found this. Just read the description. It starts off normal and about paragraph two it goes completely batshit. It's a custom golf club that has no cosmetic difference from the regular golf club butit is slightly lighter for weak asian girls to use. :psyduck:

The comments the author made at the proper section are golden, too.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 24, 2011

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Jan posted:

Is there a way to skip movies, namely Old World Blue's intro movie? Something in my game is making me crash as soon as the movie ends. I'd like to try a few things to fix it before coming in here crying about my mod load order, but the mandatory movie each time is a bit too much.
Try pressing esc? I'm not sure if it works for OWB's, specifically, but it should.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Kgummy posted:

Skyrim uses a heavily modified Gamebryo engine.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Has anyone else noticed the AG Supplementary unique weapons not showing up in certain circumstances? I didn't see the one in the Prospector Saloon, but I got the one from Victor's Shack. I think they don't spawn in edited areas. I looked in Jean Sky diving, but AWOP edits that area and there was nothing. I have some mods that add things to the Saloon and I don't see the unique weapon in there. Anyone know how to fix this?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cubemario posted:

Okay seriously, how do I get rid of "A World of Pain"? I've tried starting a fresh game with the ESM disabled and it's still there. This mod is horrible and I cannot find ANY information online as to how I get rid of this disease. I would really rather not have to reinstall my game.

Actually delete the ESM, not just deactivate it.

If New Vegas then starts crashing on startup, use FOMM to go through all your ESPs and see which one is dependant on the AWOP ESM, and remove it.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

vandalism posted:

Has anyone else noticed the AG Supplementary unique weapons not showing up in certain circumstances? I didn't see the one in the Prospector Saloon, but I got the one from Victor's Shack. I think they don't spawn in edited areas. I looked in Jean Sky diving, but AWOP edits that area and there was nothing. I have some mods that add things to the Saloon and I don't see the unique weapon in there. Anyone know how to fix this?
Have you created a merged patch? Also, it was updated recently, it's possible that the issue is fixed in the new one. And is this occurring in areas that you have been before in that save file, before you added the mod? Other than that, I can't think of anything.

Kgummy fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 24, 2011

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I made a merge patch by shift clicking everything entered in FNVEdit and applying a merged patch. I think that should have worked. In the filter section everything is green regarding cells and placement, but I don't see anything in the Prospector Saloon. Should I try reactivating the AG mod?

I reactivated my poo poo and it works fine now. Also it worked fine before but I was looking in the wrong place for that gun. Welp. I'm dumb.

vandalism fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 24, 2011

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Actually delete the ESM, not just deactivate it.

If New Vegas then starts crashing on startup, use FOMM to go through all your ESPs and see which one is dependant on the AWOP ESM, and remove it.

Deleting the ESM and the dependent ESP compatbility from The Armory solved the problem, thanks a lot!

It's amazing how terrible it made NV by having that mod installed for so long, I had forgotten that it messed up the games balance in everything from caps, difficulty (going from insanely easy to insanely hard), and a bunch of useless NPCs everywhere. Anyone who has this mod, I urge you to uninstall it.

In fact, is it possible that it could be removed from the OP or have an additional warning that it basically ruins the game balance? I'm pretty sure it caused a lot of instability and made stealth useless as well. I couldn't stealth even at high skill without being spotted, but with the mod uninstalled now I can hide even with 25 skill more effectively.

Cubemario fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 24, 2011

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Omnicarus posted:

His user profile image is hilarious http://www.newvegasnexus.com/modules/members/index.php?id=1238449 .

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

FirstPersonShitter posted:

His user profile image is hilarious http://www.newvegasnexus.com/modules/members/index.php?id=1238449 .

I am pretty sure this guy is a pedophile, based solely on the other mods he has made available.

Edit: His uploaded images are some of the worst I've ever seen on the Nexus.:catstare:

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 24, 2011

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Project Nevada's been updated to 2.2, adds some more stuff to the Mod Configuration Menu, and some pretty rad low-end homemade weapons.

Made with a .22 revolver, and some tin cans, scrap and metal a lead pipe. Silencer comes separately, just as easily made.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Kgummy posted:

Try pressing esc? I'm not sure if it works for OWB's, specifically, but it should.

You'd think it's that simple... But all that does is bring up the main menu, without even pausing the movie.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
I have another question, is it possible to disable the title cards at the beginning? Especially with RFC installed, it adds even more and they are longer in length. I can't skip all of them and I usually end up having to wait at least 10 seconds before I can get to the main menu. It's pretty frustrating having to do that, especially if your game crashes.

Oh so that's what that is? Yet another reason I seriously want an SSD.

Cubemario fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 24, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Cubemario posted:

I have another question, is it possible to disable the title cards at the beginning? Especially with RFC installed, it adds even more and they are longer in length. I can't skip all of them and I usually end up having to wait at least 10 seconds before I can get to the main menu. It's pretty frustrating having to do that, especially if your game crashes.

Loading time, man. You are literally loading two games plus all the mods. Notice how it goes faster successive times if you are using a modern OS? It's going to cache things in advance, but that's the best you can do.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
WHAT HAS SCIENCE WROUGHT?!

Oh it's only an eight shot twelve gauge lever action with a suppressor :q: AG Supplementary is a great mod simply because the meshes aren't connected to much of anything, so copy/pasting is a snap.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Goddamnit. Deactivated Project Nevada and its DLC support in FOMM, installed the 2.2 update, reactivated the DLC support, and auto-sorted my load order. FNV crashes on launch during the logos before the main menu. :(

Edit: Does this with PN deactivated, and when running without NVSE. Updating broke my install apparently. Son of a bitch

Jetsetlemming fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 24, 2011

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jetsetlemming posted:

Goddamnit. Deactivated Project Nevada and its DLC support in FOMM, installed the 2.2 update, reactivated the DLC support, and auto-sorted my load order. FNV crashes on launch during the logos before the main menu. :(

That sounds like something is missing a master. Check your load order to make sure you didn't accidentally enable an esp that's meant to work with a mod you don't have.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

I don't see any problems with my mods/load order, so I verified cache, and it found two bad files to redownload. I ran the game again, and this time it made it to "Please Stand By", with the music playing in the background, and then crashed. Launching again it crashed on the legal screen at the start, like it was before verifying. I verified a second time and once again it found a broken file needing to redownload.

:psyduck:
My load order:

FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
Tales from the Burning Sands.esm
The.Armory.esm
More Perks.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
Weapon Mod Expansion.esm
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
WME - Dead Money.esm
WME - Honest Hearts.esm
Lucky 38 Suite Respawn Fix.esp
Centered 3rd Person Camera.esp
Better Burned Man.esp
UWHNV-Core.esp
UWHNV-Addon-DLC.esp
Lucky38MarkerV3.esp
EVE FNV.esp
Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
Project Nevada - Dead Money.esp
Project Nevada - Honest Hearts.esp
CONELRAD 640-1240.esp
R.A.C.E. Station.esp
NewVegasBounties.esp
Kobu's Free Wild Wasteland Trait.esp
Wild Wasteland YCS Fix.esp
More Perks Update.esp
MoreShells.esp
Sunglasses Shipment.esp
Comp_Idles_NV.esp
Light Step ED-E.esp
NVWillow.esp
PipBoyLightx2.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main NV.esp
Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
Weapon Mod Expansion.esp
The.Armory.Leveled.List.esp
The.Armory.Honest.Hearts.BasePatch.esp
The.Armory.Honest.Hearts.WPPatch.Vanilla.esp
The.Armory.Stalker.Pack.esp
WME - Dead Money.esp
WME - Dead Money Arenovalis Retex.esp
WME - Honest Hearts.esp
WME - Honest Hearts Arenovalis.esp
SimpleStreetLights (Extra Lights).esp
Vurt's WFO.esp
Western Sky - Darker Nights.esp

Total active plugins: 47
Total plugins: 63

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kind of regretting not installing Project Nevada when I started. Is it likely to go at all wrong if I install it into an existing game? Is it worth using XFO in conjunction with it, or is there so much overlap that I should pick one and stick with it?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Kind of regretting not installing Project Nevada when I started. Is it likely to go at all wrong if I install it into an existing game? Is it worth using XFO in conjunction with it, or is there so much overlap that I should pick one and stick with it?

I'd just switch over to PN. As far as I know XFO hasn't been updated in over six months and its starting to look like its a dead project. Also Project Nevada is really good, they've done an excellent job so far.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Anyone here use the Expanded Traits mod? http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=36370

Some of the traits look pretty interesting but traits seem like they'd be difficult to script properly so I'm a little leery of blindly installing it.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Just as a note, Bottle That Water updated, for OWB compatibility/modification.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

You don't need to use XFO in conjunction with it, as almost everything in PN is very customizable--more than XFO, actually. There are a few XFO plugins that can be used with PN (like Karma rebalancing), but that's because PN doesn't make changes to that. Plus, since every PN release is a FOMOD, they're really simply to add / remove. You can do it with your current game

fennesz posted:

Anyone here use the Expanded Traits mod? http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=36370

Some of the traits look pretty interesting but traits seem like they'd be difficult to script properly so I'm a little leery of blindly installing it.

Used it for ~4 months, stopped after OWB came out and added its own Traits to the mix. I'd say, byte for byte, it's one of the best Trait mods out there. Nothing ridiculously overpowered or broken.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Jetsetlemming posted:

I don't see any problems with my mods/load order, so I verified cache, and it found two bad files to redownload. I ran the game again, and this time it made it to "Please Stand By", with the music playing in the background, and then crashed. Launching again it crashed on the legal screen at the start, like it was before verifying. I verified a second time and once again it found a broken file needing to redownload.

:psyduck:
My load order:

FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
Tales from the Burning Sands.esm
The.Armory.esm
More Perks.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
Weapon Mod Expansion.esm
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
WME - Dead Money.esm
WME - Honest Hearts.esm
Lucky 38 Suite Respawn Fix.esp
Centered 3rd Person Camera.esp
Better Burned Man.esp
UWHNV-Core.esp
UWHNV-Addon-DLC.esp
Lucky38MarkerV3.esp
EVE FNV.esp
Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
Project Nevada - Dead Money.esp
Project Nevada - Honest Hearts.esp
CONELRAD 640-1240.esp
R.A.C.E. Station.esp
NewVegasBounties.esp
Kobu's Free Wild Wasteland Trait.esp
Wild Wasteland YCS Fix.esp
More Perks Update.esp
MoreShells.esp
Sunglasses Shipment.esp
Comp_Idles_NV.esp
Light Step ED-E.esp
NVWillow.esp
PipBoyLightx2.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main NV.esp
Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
Weapon Mod Expansion.esp
The.Armory.Leveled.List.esp
The.Armory.Honest.Hearts.BasePatch.esp
The.Armory.Honest.Hearts.WPPatch.Vanilla.esp
The.Armory.Stalker.Pack.esp
WME - Dead Money.esp
WME - Dead Money Arenovalis Retex.esp
WME - Honest Hearts.esp
WME - Honest Hearts Arenovalis.esp
SimpleStreetLights (Extra Lights).esp
Vurt's WFO.esp
Western Sky - Darker Nights.esp

Total active plugins: 47
Total plugins: 63

You need to make a merged patch. The file Steam is consistently finding to replace is probably an .ini file, which is normal and nothing to worry about.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
There were some interested in the last gongshow of a WIP build for The Armory, but this one should be a lot better. A bunch of bugfixes in it for 2.0 guns, 9 previously WIP guns are now ready for testing/release, and three entirely new weapons were added:

- a new M1 Garand I haven't seen in the modding scene yet that I converted from FPSBanana that I believe Arenovalis had a hand in at some point years ago
- a test bed for the laser katana system I'm going to implement in the form of the new Jedi/Sith lightsabers + mods. The mods for these simply change the color at this point, so you have blue as the default jedi with green, silver, and yellow as the alternates while the jedi's default is red with black, orange, and purple as the alternates. If you add more than one mod to each lightsaber it will default back to the original color and you'll need a new lightsaber to start from scratch. Sorry folks, that's how she goes. Maybe I'll put in a disassemble/assemble recipe for a base lightsaber to make things easier.

Other things of note - there are new meshes/textures for the SR25 and L85A2 so check 'em out.

As always check out the text files and realize that it's a WIP - it might break your game, and the new weapons are NOT balanced or added to the leveled lists or anything like that.

edit: well, it appears the alternate recolors of the lightsabers aren't working :ughh: that's why it's a WIP

Naky fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 24, 2011

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You need to make a merged patch. The file Steam is consistently finding to replace is probably an .ini file, which is normal and nothing to worry about.
I tried to create a merged patch, and it failed, with the message "Message: Found a SCPT reference, expected: ALCH,AMMO,ARMO,BOOK,CCRD,CHIP,CMNY,IMOD,KEYM,LVLI,MISC,NOTE,WEAP"

Everything worked fine before I tried to upgrade PN :(

edit: Oh, it actually did create the merged patch esp, it prompted me to save it when I closed fnvedit. I loaded FOMM, checked off merge.esp, and ran nvse. The game still crashed on the legalese screen.

Jetsetlemming fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 24, 2011

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Creating a merged patch is the first step, then you go and look at what else is conflicting, if anything. It helps if you have the filter on, which the manual tells you to do (and what settings to use), in case you didn't see that.

On the new armory, should we first deactivate 2.0? If so, then what about the leveled list? (Only the .esm and the cabinet .esp are in what you linked)

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Kgummy posted:

Creating a merged patch is the first step, then you go and look at what else is conflicting, if anything. It helps if you have the filter on, which the manual tells you to do (and what settings to use), in case you didn't see that.

On the new armory, should we first deactivate 2.0? If so, then what about the leveled list? (Only the .esm and the cabinet .esp are in what you linked)

If you use the WIP you can still use the alternate esps in theory, but if you're going to do testing and report things I'd prefer if you deactivated everything but the esm and the cabinet esps that I give you to cut down on interference. Otherwise you can technically treat it as a bugfix patch with some new content.

Again, in theory, the new esm should be fine with 2.0's weapons and alternates but if there's any oddness then stand warned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

I once again deactivated PN and its DLC, and then reactivated them. I noticed that PN 2.2 wanted to overwrite two existing files, they looked like they dealt with first person hand animations from the filenames? Before I had just blindly clicked "Yes to All". This time I clicked No individually for both the conflicts that pop up. And now everything works fine.

It's kinda confusing how assets like that just get thrown into big common sourced folders instead of being part of the esp, so they can have priority based on load order like the scripts and crap in the mod files do. Anyway, things seem to possibly maybe be working now.