Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why does both scrolling in Mission Control and the four-finger swipe up/down gesture work backwards from the "natural" two-finger scrolling. Having to rely on trial and error to figure out which direction the scrolling goes in a given context doesn't help ease the transition, Apple. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Dan Hollis posted:

The word processing app "WriteRoom" is getting a lot of publicity for supposedly removing all distractions while writing. It costs $25 though, and I'm wondering if Word or Pages has a similar view (since I already own those programs.)

Word does have a fullscreen view that I like a lot.

Should be under View -> Full page or something like that.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Dan Hollis posted:

The word processing app "WriteRoom" is getting a lot of publicity for supposedly removing all distractions while writing. It costs $25 though, and I'm wondering if Word or Pages has a similar view (since I already own those programs.)

Pages has a full screen mode. In Lion (run Software Update and then) hit the arrows in the upper corner. In SL, there's an Enter Full Screen command or something like that. It only has a writing surface and a word/page count.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Vertigus posted:

Word does have a fullscreen view that I like a lot.

Should be under View -> Full page or something like that.

Pages has this too.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
e: ^^ :argh:

Pages was just updated as well to take advantage of Lion's features. I'm guessing a fullscreen mode is in there somewhere.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I'm giving my sister my old mac, do I just create a new Admin user, then delete my old user folder? I want her to be able to use Pages and Photoshop and all my old programs as well.

Also Lion rocks so far, no issues that didn't take 60 seconds to fix. The Time Machine transfer was insane, everything is literally exactly the same as the comp I transfered from. So easy! Although I'm waffling about using Chrome or Safari....gestures!

markerstore
Dec 5, 2003
Canny!

wafflesnsegways posted:

The backwards scroll thing is OK with me - it's oddly not that hard to get used to. But I don't think it's very well implemented. They seem to have just reversed the directions from the mouse itself. Try zooming in on a google map. Why would pulling back zoom in?

Because it's like you're pulling the map towards you?

ToastyX
Mar 15, 2004
N
yaaarrr!

KingEup posted:

Oh christ, why do I have to click a window three times before it's brought to focus? It's like it can't quite get there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmQE5GW62r8
That's because you're moving the window slightly when trying to click. Honestly, they should make that count as a click because it's too easy to do. I've encountered this myself, and it wasn't a problem before Lion. If this bothers you, report it as a bug. The more people that report it, the more likely it will get fixed.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

duck monster posted:

e: Yes internet tells me it is intentional and chflags nohidden ~/Library fixes it. Someone needs to punch whoever at Apple HQ came up with this idea

Oh jesus thanks for putting that up. Another thing that should go into the OP.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Wait why are you guys loving around in ~/Library anyway?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Non-Lion chat:

I know I'm years behind on this, but Delicious Library is awesome. I just changed jobs, and am setting up my study at home to be my new office. This entails moving hundreds of books to my basement. Scanning them into Delicious Library and adding a note that the item now lives downstairs is going to save a lot of "where did I put that book?" over the next year.

Not to mention the whole "hold the book up to the webcam and let it figure it out for me" thing is way cool.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Sorry if this question has been asked already (I've scanned the last few pages)...

What's the deal with Lion upgrades for machines running Snow Leopard Server? I have a Mac Mini server and want to upgrade to Lion Server - will I still have to buy the Lion Server applications separately? If so, will it preserve my server configuration?

FWIW, the server doesn't do anything particularly complicated (i just use it as a file server, Time Machine server, etc), but I'd rather not have to recreate shares and such like if at all possible.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

beefnoodle posted:

Non-Lion chat:

I know I'm years behind on this, but Delicious Library is awesome. I just changed jobs, and am setting up my study at home to be my new office. This entails moving hundreds of books to my basement. Scanning them into Delicious Library and adding a note that the item now lives downstairs is going to save a lot of "where did I put that book?" over the next year.

Not to mention the whole "hold the book up to the webcam and let it figure it out for me" thing is way cool.

It's a fun program, I wish there was an iphone app for it though, at least to do the scanning. I don't have the patience to hold thousands of books up to my computer.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

x-virge posted:

On Lion, my Helvetica is: /System/Library/Fonts/Helvetica.dfont with unique name: Helvetica; 7.0d20e1; 2011-04-05

Yup, that matches up nicely with what I have, and it still looks messed. Thanks for checking.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TACD posted:

Open up Mail, then run Time Machine. You'll enter the TM interface within Mail so you can pull back those messages.

Now, TM will only show you messages up since the account was created, so if his Mail accounts were RE-created as part of the recovery you'll have to pull back the ~/Library/Mail folder and do some manual recovery, or just overwrite the current folder with the backup.

By the way, my co-worker says THANK YOU for this, it worked like a charm.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
I never much had a use of Spaces before, but I'm kind of liking keeping Mail and iTunes in their own Spaces, full-screen. However, whenever I slide back to my main desktop Space, all my apps are out of order! That is, I expect the app I was just using right before sliding over to look at my Mail Space will be on top of the other apps, and having keyboard focus, but it's not necessarily like this when I slide back.

Is there a fix for this? It's really annoying.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Heh, I just tried to click the menubar to return to the top of this thread. The scrollbars and menubar are having a subconscious effect on me. Steve's wizardry strikes again!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Accipiter posted:

The first few Leopard releases were hard on the battery too. 10.7.1 will have a poo poo ton of fixes, likely including some for optimized battery life.

I sure hope that's the case. I kept hearing around these parts that OS upgrades actually make better use of older hardware, and this - coupled with the slight performance problems and that the guy with the Mr Tingle avatar says white plastic Macs don't take the upgrade well - makes a good case against it. But yeah, in general, the improvements are certainly worth the bit of sluggishness and if that's gone with the next few patches, that's just an added bonus.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Is there any way to make it so my mouse has reverse scrolling (the old way) and my touch pad has natural scrolling? Each time I try to change one or the other (one in trackpad, one in mouse settings), it changes both. Any program to by pass this? I downloaded the newest Logitech Control Center and there's no option in it.

BlueFreshMarlboro
Jun 3, 2011

by T. Finn
^^^^ - Not yet. I asked the same question. Nada.

Zwille posted:

I sure hope that's the case. I kept hearing around these parts that OS upgrades actually make better use of older hardware, and this - coupled with the slight performance problems and that the guy with the Mr Tingle avatar says white plastic Macs don't take the upgrade well - makes a good case against it. But yeah, in general, the improvements are certainly worth the bit of sluggishness and if that's gone with the next few patches, that's just an added bonus.

Sometimes the price of progress involves eliminating the weak links. Imagine what it would be like if butterflies were still capable of destroying our computers.

BlueFreshMarlboro fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 23, 2011

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

BlueFreshMarlboro posted:

^^^^ - Not yet. I asked the same question. Nada.

Looks like I have to sacrifice natural scrolling on my track pad so I don't get confused when I switch from my Mac to my PC Development Machine :(

x-virge
May 25, 2003

withak posted:

Why does both scrolling in Mission Control and the four-finger swipe up/down gesture work backwards from the "natural" two-finger scrolling. Having to rely on trial and error to figure out which direction the scrolling goes in a given context doesn't help ease the transition, Apple. :argh:

It should work the same as your preference: If you have natural scrolling, Spaces move with your fingers. If you don't, they move opposite your fingers.

Not sure what you mean about the four finger up/down gestures, though. Those don't track with your fingers anyway.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

moron posted:

Sorry if this question has been asked already (I've scanned the last few pages)...

What's the deal with Lion upgrades for machines running Snow Leopard Server? I have a Mac Mini server and want to upgrade to Lion Server - will I still have to buy the Lion Server applications separately? If so, will it preserve my server configuration?

FWIW, the server doesn't do anything particularly complicated (i just use it as a file server, Time Machine server, etc), but I'd rather not have to recreate shares and such like if at all possible.
http://images.apple.com/macosx/server/docs/Upgrading_and_Migrating_v10.7.pdf

Xandu posted:

It's a fun program, I wish there was an iphone app for it though, at least to do the scanning. I don't have the patience to hold thousands of books up to my computer.
You can thank Amazon for killing that app.

vlack posted:

I never much had a use of Spaces before, but I'm kind of liking keeping Mail and iTunes in their own Spaces, full-screen. However, whenever I slide back to my main desktop Space, all my apps are out of order! That is, I expect the app I was just using right before sliding over to look at my Mail Space will be on top of the other apps, and having keyboard focus, but it's not necessarily like this when I slide back.

Is there a fix for this? It's really annoying.
Uncheck "Automatically rearrange spaces based on most recent use" in System Preferences > Mission Control.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

wolffenstein posted:

Uncheck "Automatically rearrange spaces based on most recent use" in System Preferences > Mission Control.

Oh, I think I was unclear. That is actually already unchecked and the order of the Spaces themselves is not my problem here.

My situation is that I have one space I use for most of my apps, with Dashboard to the left and Mail and iTunes in their own full-screen Spaces to the right. If, for example, I'm typing up this post in my Desktop space, and then I go over and reply to an email in the Mail space, when I switch back to Desktop I expect Safari to be on top of the other windows. However, sometimes it's not and I'm not sure why.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I'd file a bug with Apple, and for the mean time, use CMD+Tab.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

x-virge posted:

It should work the same as your preference: If you have natural scrolling, Spaces move with your fingers. If you don't, they move opposite your fingers.

Not sure what you mean about the four finger up/down gestures, though. Those don't track with your fingers anyway.

I have natural scrolling turned on but when I swipe left with three fingers in Mission Control then it pans over to the dashboard (i.e. swipe left moves the content to the right which is the opposite of natural scrolling).

In Firefox four fingers up/down seems to do home/end, but it also works the opposite if natural scrolling (i.e. swipe down jumps to the end of the page, content move up).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ziir posted:

Am I just remembering wrong or was there a way to disable Safari from opening PDFs in SL? I don't want PDFs to display in Safari. I want them to open in Preview.
I don't remember ever being able to do that, although there may have been a plugin for it. Worst case you can open the PDFs in Preview straight from Safari on that little control overlay that shows up towards the bottom center.

ndrake posted:

Why is the dashboard now a whole separate space (or even still there as an overlay). I always thought that was a stupid, failed experiment and was just waiting for apple to drop it from the OS. Creating an extra space seems to make it even more prominent.

Am I missing something? Did someone create useful widgets that I'm missing? I have a delivery status widget, weather, and istat on there. And maybe launch the dashboard every other month.
The ones I keep on there are imgur upload, PNGpong (to strip down PNGs), some timer thingy, and Calc Board. Dashboard also becomes a lot more useful in many cases if you turn on devmode and take them out of Dashboard, just running as floating windows basically so you don't have to go in and out just to use/see them.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

withak posted:

I have natural scrolling turned on but when I swipe left with three fingers in Mission Control then it pans over to the dashboard (i.e. swipe left moves the content to the right which is the opposite of natural scrolling).

That's strange. It definitely should match your scroll preference. Maybe try toggling some of the trackpad prefs to see if it gets fixed?

quote:

In Firefox four fingers up/down seems to do home/end, but it also works the opposite if natural scrolling (i.e. swipe down jumps to the end of the page, content move up).

I don't think those are standard gestures. Sounds like something Firefox implemented.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Maybe this has been posted already, but copying files from a USB stick doesn't work.

It will "copy" but once you un-mount the stick, the files disappear.

This pretty much pissing me off a lot, as I am trying to load a Windows 7 .iso and every time it copies, it disappears. This strikes me as a major issue...any solution?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3200189?start=0&tstart=0

Edit: This is on a new MBA w/Lion pre-installed, if that matters.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 23, 2011

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
I'm having file copying issues as well. If I copy and paste a file, it will make the copy file noise but nothing shows up. If I select "duplicate file" the duplicate shows up for a split second then disappears.

Anybody have any idea?

edit: relaunching finder fixed the issue. Option + click on finder icon in the dock / relaunch like it says in the link.

That's pretty stupid, I hope they fix that.

passionate dongs fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 23, 2011

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

hotsauce posted:

Maybe this has been posted already, but copying files from a USB stick doesn't work.

It will "copy" but once you un-mount the stick, the files disappear.

This pretty much pissing me off a lot, as I am trying to load a Windows 7 .iso and every time it copies, it disappears. This strikes me as a major issue...any solution?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3200189?start=0&tstart=0

Edit: This is on a new MBA w/Lion pre-installed, if that matters.

I haven't run into this myself, but have you tried holding down alt/option when dragging files over? You should see a little green ball with a + in it when you do this.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

pokeyman posted:

I can't figure out some font issues I'm seeing. They happened in Snow Leopard too, and I tried an upgrade to Lion to see if that'd fix the problem but it hasn't. Basically, Helvetica is completely messed up. If you see the attached screenshot, this is the Calendars button on the top left of the iCal window on two computers. The left is the messed up one, the right looks fine. These were taken at the same resolution and the same font size. I've tried validating fonts, clearing out duplicates, and so on, with no success. The only app installed I can think of that messes with fonts is Office 2011, but I can only blame it for so much.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd love to avoid a full-blown reinstall.

Do you have anything in ~/Library/Fonts? If so try deleting them or just rename the Fonts folder and logout/login, that'd be my first thing to try.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Not sure if this is the right place to ask...but what's the best media server software for the Mac? I want to watch stuff from my ipad without having to load it up.

I'm using Plex but I am really not digging it at all.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

coconono posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask...but what's the best media server software for the Mac? I want to watch stuff from my ipad without having to load it up.

I'm using Plex but I am really not digging it at all.
I use and love AirVideo.

Gentle Marmot
Mar 25, 2005
like the sugar
So I am loving around with launchpad and I cannot for the life of me remove icons, stick em in folders or other poo poo. I found something about holding ctrl + option + command and clicking would get rid of them but it doesnt for me(also 3 keys are you kidding me?).

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Stick one icon on top of another to make a folder.

The command you meant is actually just option + click, but it keeps the stupid iOS functionality of removing the entire program instead of the icon.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

TACD posted:

Do you have anything in ~/Library/Fonts? If so try deleting them or just rename the Fonts folder and logout/login, that'd be my first thing to try.

Deleted a couple fonts that I didn't recognize and restarted. Still busted. Then for shits I replaced /Library/Fonts with the contents of same from a Lion install that isn't suffering from this issue. Still no go.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Oh, one application Expose is now Ctrl + Down. I was said I'd lost that feature :(

Gentle Marmot
Mar 25, 2005
like the sugar

Xandu posted:

Stick one icon on top of another to make a folder.

The command you meant is actually just option + click, but it keeps the stupid iOS functionality of removing the entire program instead of the icon.

Some icons show an x on them I can click to remove them, while others dont....

This launchpad is very clunky and not well done, pretty surprising coming from apple I dont have this much trouble with anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Gentle Marmot posted:

Some icons show an x on them I can click to remove them, while others dont....

This launchpad is very clunky and not well done, pretty surprising coming from apple I dont have this much trouble with anything else.
It's apps from the app store that have the X. It doesn't just remove them from Launchpad, it uninstalls them.