Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
What I'm particularly curious about is if they got the old actors to come back or if they just reused voice clips from the previous games (which I'd prefer to them just rerecording the dialogue themselves anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
When I try running JA2 in windowed mode on windows 7 64 bit. it pops up saying it needs to have a color depth of 16bpp. Is there a way to fix this or will I be forced to run this full-screen?

Dotcom656 fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 23, 2011

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dotcom656 posted:

When I try running JA2 in windowed mode on windows 7 64 bit. it pops up saying it needs to have a color depth of 16bpp. Is there a way to fix this or will I be forced to run this full-screen?

Use the ini editor to launch the game, it will change your colour depth manually.

This is not limited to Win7 x64.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Thompsons posted:

What I'm particularly curious about is if they got the old actors to come back or if they just reused voice clips from the previous games (which I'd prefer to them just rerecording the dialogue themselves anyway).

Well, every voice in that alpha footage was Magic, as a placeholder. Since they're using placeholder voices, I'm assuming they intend on re-recording them, otherwise it would be trivial to just toss in everyone's old voices again.

Kyphie
Mar 26, 2010
I'm having some serious problems with killing the crepitus. They pour out of the infected mine like a drat clown car on the overmap but every time I try to send mercs down the mine I can't find anything but skeletons. The music plays and skeletons are everywhere and there are combat restrictions but no bugs. Naturally searching for "bugs" related to crepitus is completely futile. All I could get was one two year old forum post with "look harder" as the pinned solution.

I only even know what they look like thanks to the ones that spawn below Tixa and I actually think they're fun to fight so I don't want to turn them off.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kyphie posted:

I'm having some serious problems with killing the crepitus. They pour out of the infected mine like a drat clown car on the overmap but every time I try to send mercs down the mine I can't find anything but skeletons. The music plays and skeletons are everywhere and there are combat restrictions but no bugs. Naturally searching for "bugs" related to crepitus is completely futile. All I could get was one two year old forum post with "look harder" as the pinned solution.

I only even know what they look like thanks to the ones that spawn below Tixa and I actually think they're fun to fight so I don't want to turn them off.

Which version have you got installed?

Until they patched it about two weeks ago, there was a nasty bug with the new release where you'd get the Crepitus flags in non-scifi but they would never spawn.

Kyphie
Mar 26, 2010
I have the 5/27/11 version, I'll update to the 7/1/11 patch but I'm certain I have Sci-Fi mode enabled. The only other suggestion I've found is the suggestion to enter and exit the cave repeatedly and that hasn't been doing much for me.

Edit: After about two ingame days of peeking my head in the hole they were finally there.

Kyphie fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 24, 2011

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
Jesus christ I am horrible at this game. Took me three tries to just clear out Dressan, and then I attack the town to the south and my gets get entirely destroyed and only manage to kill 1 guy.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Dotcom656 posted:

Jesus christ I am horrible at this game. Took me three tries to just clear out Dressan, and then I attack the town to the south and my gets get entirely destroyed and only manage to kill 1 guy.

The town south is their military training facility. If you have wire cutters you can sneak in from the top right zone.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
I would go for a different second city rather than going to Alma directly after Drassen, unless you know what you are doing. Alma is a significant step up in difficulty from Drassen.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CaptainEO posted:

I would go for a different second city rather than going to Alma directly after Drassen, unless you know what you are doing. Alma is a significant step up in difficulty from Drassen.

Yes, Alma is actually artificially tougher than other towns because it's the military's main city - normally the weapon quality the Queen's troops have is based on the distance from Meduna, where the farther away they are the worse the troops will be, but Alma gets a boost that no other towns have.

Chitzena is usually a better second choice than Alma, although if you feel like you can take it, Cambria is also a good town to grab.

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!

Kyphie posted:

This (bug alert, mine looks empty) does happen occasionally, but you should still be able to find the way into the bug tunnels. I am not really sure how their spawn script works, but sometimes they are absent all over except for the very final sector. Usually, of course, the tunnels are swarming with them, but now and then the bug queen seems to have birthing issues...

e: oh wait, they just attacked out of the mine? Well then the first mine sector is often empty because the bugs that should be there are the ones that stormed out. Just head deeper.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yes, Alma is actually artificially tougher than other towns because it's the military's main city - normally the weapon quality the Queen's troops have is based on the distance from Meduna, where the farther away they are the worse the troops will be, but Alma gets a boost that no other towns have.

Chitzena is usually a better second choice than Alma, although if you feel like you can take it, Cambria is also a good town to grab.

Oddly enough, I sometimes actually take Chitzena before Drassen. The soldiers are pretty much armed with slingshots and wearing pots on their heads. It's only two sectors and has no counter-attack so it's stupidly easy to hold, as well. Yeah, you don't get much out of the mine but it doesn't take much effort to get it so whatever.

Cambria is a pain in the rear end, though. Middle of the map, 5 squares. The first one is NEVER loyal enough to train milita in. It sometimes takes me weeks to get a proper defense set up in that drat city. Yes, it's easier to take than Alma, but Alma is easier to fortify.

ThingWhatKicks
Feb 2, 2005

bob's big date
So I was wandering around Drassen trying to get the airspace clear (how do you do that by the way?) and I remember from a conversation that there was someone hiding out to the east. While passing through D14 (one due east of the mine) I get a notification that I saw someone, but when I go into the tactical screen and scour the entire sector I find no one. How do I find whoever this is?

edit: also, how the hell do I refill a canteen?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oddly enough, I sometimes actually take Chitzena before Drassen. The soldiers are pretty much armed with slingshots and wearing pots on their heads. It's only two sectors and has no counter-attack so it's stupidly easy to hold, as well. Yeah, you don't get much out of the mine but it doesn't take much effort to get it so whatever.

Cambria is a pain in the rear end, though. Middle of the map, 5 squares. The first one is NEVER loyal enough to train milita in. It sometimes takes me weeks to get a proper defense set up in that drat city. Yes, it's easier to take than Alma, but Alma is easier to fortify.

Pass through San Mona, grab all the money there are(15k from fistfights, 10k from Angel, 35?k from mine, 20k from Kingpin's corpse and some more from that fight organizer(Darren or whatever), plus some good guns and armor), take out SAM site, set arrival point next to Grumm, hire some cool mercs and take Grumm :smug:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

ThingWhatKicks posted:

So I was wandering around Drassen trying to get the airspace clear (how do you do that by the way?)

The queen has a couple of SAM sites spread throughout the country which you have to conquer / disable for the airspace to clear.
In fact, the guy you were looking for has some info on that once you find him.

ThingWhatKicks posted:

and I remember from a conversation that there was someone hiding out to the east. While passing through D14 (one due east of the mine) I get a notification that I saw someone, but when I go into the tactical screen and scour the entire sector I find no one. How do I find whoever this is?

If you get the notification that someone is in the sector (the guy can randomly be in one of a couple of sectors in that area, but if you get the notification, you've definitely found the right one) there will be a small wooden shack in the middle of the sector. The guy is inside that.
I think someone mentioned encountering a bug with that quest in one of the recent releases though, where the shack (and with it the guy) wouldn't spawn despite the notification, I don't know if that bug is still there and you might have encountered it :\
Just walk right in the very center of the sector, if the shed is there, it's fairly hard to miss.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

ThingWhatKicks posted:

edit: also, how the hell do I refill a canteen?

Buy a new one. You don't want to drink Arulcan water.

ThingWhatKicks
Feb 2, 2005

bob's big date

Burning Mustache posted:

The queen has a couple of SAM sites spread throughout the country which you have to conquer / disable for the airspace to clear.
In fact, the guy you were looking for has some info on that once you find him.

If you get the notification that someone is in the sector (the guy can randomly be in one of a couple of sectors in that area, but if you get the notification, you've definitely found the right one) there will be a small wooden shack in the middle of the sector. The guy is inside that.
I think someone mentioned encountering a bug with that quest in one of the recent releases though, where the shack (and with it the guy) wouldn't spawn despite the notification, I don't know if that bug is still there and you might have encountered it :\
Just walk right in the very center of the sector, if the shed is there, it's fairly hard to miss.

The middle of the sector is water. Hmm, oh well.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

ThingWhatKicks posted:

The middle of the sector is water. Hmm, oh well.

Yeah, that sector's just bugged. He's still around, just in another sector.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
7.62 - High Caliber did the "pausable real time" thing too, albeit you could also set certain events to trigger a pause (i.e. new enemy spotted).

Actually gave a good bit of time to both games, in all honesty, may get back into both (JA2 and 7.62).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
7.62 looks cool but I've heard it's buggy as hell. Is it actually playable now?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

7.62 looks cool but I've heard it's buggy as hell. Is it actually playable now?

No, it's pretty much doomed to be perpetually broken as hell. It's only real purpose now is as a tech demo for a working real time with autopausing gameplay system.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I do recall going a while with it, but not being able to "cheap-rear end-scum" like I do in JA2 v1.13 took its toll on my patience, so I'll have to look into the Blue Sun Mod and the unofficial fan patch(es), as I remember a bunch of custom guns finding their way into the game, along the vein of what v1.13 did for JA2 but far more accessible simply because the items in a category were all on one scrollable page instead of having to continually click Next to reach later-in-the-alphabet items.

There's a pretty good LP for 7.62 in the LP archive, but that ended with a total party wipe/kill. Still, a good guide for understanding what the heck the stats actually do, as I originally didn't understand it that well. (For firing styles from standing you have hipfire whose corresponding stat is Gunfighting, while "snap shooting" and properly aimed fire are based on Shooting, and if you have a scope then you can use "scoped aim" fire, which is based on Sniping.)

I believe that I'd actually buy it on Steam if it were available there instead of seemingly just Gamersgate.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
Sorry if I'm not the first one to stumble upon this but...
http://www.jaggedalliance.com/en/
:suspense:There seems to be a new game in the making!:suspense:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Woohoo posted:

Sorry if I'm not the first one to stumble upon this but...
http://www.jaggedalliance.com/en/
:suspense:There seems to be a new game in the making!:suspense:

Uhh, yeah, we've been talking about it for the last year.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I bet he's a runaway from Tixia.

Anyway, is there a way to permanently disable SAM sites? I tried blowing up the consoles with TNT, but as soon as I get the mercs in the air, jackass soldiers re-take the site whenever Skyrider is flying back to the airport and blast the poo poo out of him.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

No, it's pretty much doomed to be perpetually broken as hell. It's only real purpose now is as a tech demo for a working real time with autopausing gameplay system.

The combat/gear options were really fun but the rest of the game was so bland/lifeless.

etalian fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 28, 2011

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
That's admittedly part of why I'm looking at mods -- 7.62 had the interesting combat system but "ehh" setting, while JA2 had severe legacy issues gameplay-wise but a fun as hell setting and has definitely been revised into something awesome (gameplay-wise that is).

One thing that 7.62 also previously had going for it over JA2 v1.13 was that it didn't have a hardcoded four-attachment limit, although it appears that the v1.13 team has finally overcome that, allowing for way more bling on both games' guns. At last check 7.62 still had some strange issue preventing it from supporting vertical foregrips, though, since I was the sort who'd want to have his merc running around with a foregripped, reflex sighted PDW like the Magpul PDR (I believe still in v1.13).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's the thing that bugs me - in terms of overall design, JA2 is a very solid game, but the combat/equipment stuff suffers from a lot of legacy issues. The 1.13 team has done a really great job overcoming a lot of it, but there's always going to be limits on what they can do. I think the major advantage of real-time pausing over turn-based is coordination - you can time everyone's moves out so they perform the actions you want in the exact order you want. With turn-based it's a bit of a crapshoot because you have so few AP per turn that you can only really move or get a couple of shots off, and because the enemies will move around so much on their turn, it tends to ruin anything you were trying to set up. Interrupts can make it even worse.

I've read the LP of 7.62 and I really like a lot of the detail in the orders/items, but it seems like the non-combat stuff is a lot less interesting than in JA2, and of course there's the game-breaking bugs that just ruin it.

Maybe JA3 (not the JA2 remake, but the hypothetical true sequel) will take the more interesting aspects from 7.62.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 28, 2011

Propaganda Panda
Dec 26, 2010
You're right, Cheshire.

It'd be nice if there were two separate types of action points - movement and combat - so that you weren't penalized for trying play tactically. That could bring another level of strategy to the game too - for example, you could have a machinegunner who wouldn't have many movement points but tons of combat points.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Maybe JA3 (not the JA2 remake, but the hypothetical true sequel) will take the more interesting aspects from 7.62.

7.62 like combat system with JA2 fun characters and overall memorable design/atmosphere/replayability would be pretty amazing.

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!

JackMackerel posted:

Anyway, is there a way to permanently disable SAM sites? I tried blowing up the consoles with TNT, but as soon as I get the mercs in the air, jackass soldiers re-take the site whenever Skyrider is flying back to the airport and blast the poo poo out of him.

Get some militia at the SAM site?

Baytor
Oct 4, 2010

Well, never mind! Commando missions are much more fun than girls anyway!

JackMackerel posted:

If you damage or destroy the big control console with explosives, the SAM site will remain out of action unless it gets recaptured by black-shirts.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I played JA2 as if it were chess. I played 7.62 as if it was a war sim. I love JA2 but the AP system really puts a damper on tactics. It all comes down to position and getting the first few shots off and interrupts.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Isn't there a real-time mod for JA2...?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

JackMackerel posted:

Isn't there a real-time mod for JA2...?

Would that even be possible? I would think it would play terribly. The game just isn't designed for it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Would that even be possible? I would think it would play terribly. The game just isn't designed for it.

Might be possible. But you'd just get destroyed be the AI.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
What key can you press to get information (cover, lighting, ground type, etc) about a certain tile. The hotkeys says "F" but that just enables/disables something called "Follow Mode". Or is that right key and I have to enable/disable something in the ini's or options menu?

Additionally, and I'm sure i've asked this before, is there anyway to get an actual number for CTH, and not just a circle? It'd be nice to know just how much the RNG is dicking me.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 29, 2011

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Does anyone actually play multi-player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Which is the file I should download to install 1.13 onto a standard GOG`?

I am looking for
- new weapons/features
but I'd also like
- new maps (urban thingy, wildfire) but not at the expense of gear and bugfixes/features

Every single release has about 100 acronyms and I don't know what the gently caress is going on