Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

asteroceras posted:

Well, that's pretty inaccurate... Besides the selenium-metered options (as this thread encompasses rangefinders), many P&S have a set shutter speed.
Not that I have any specific ones to recommend.
If it's a rangefinder, it's not a point and shoot. If it's a fixed focus/shutter-speed/aperture then it's a toy camera, not a point and shoot. His question was to to find out which of the cameras in the OP don't require a battery. All that were listed require batteries and I suggested just finding a nice one that uses batteries since they tend to last forever. Hence my post was accurate, on topic, and helpful.

In Summary; Just get an XA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I didn't think about the automatic features :downs: The Rollei 35 looks very nice though. I already have a toy camera, so I'd like to move up from there to something with a faster and sharp lens. If the batteries aren't a huge pain to find though, I'll look through the OP again.

Edit: I just won a Fuji DL200 on eBay for $5 total. The cheapest cameras from the OP I could find were still a lot more expensive than described. I'll keep looking for good deals though.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 21, 2011

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Found a Canonet 28 at the local goodwill for :10bux:. Still had an old mercury battery inside!! Replaced with the modern equivalent and after cleaning the contacts, works like a charm.

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!
Does anybody know the difference between the yashica t3 vs the t4? I've read some small things but I guess I'm looking for any experience with them. The biggest I could find is the t3 has a 35/2.8 while the t4 has a 35/3.5 which is weird that a newer model would revert to the older lens on the t2. But yeah, anybody play with any of these?

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!
Picked up an Olympus Stylus Epic Zoom 80 from the local thrift store today for a whopping $0.99. No idea if it works or not but getting ready to put in some new batteries and I'll let you know.

*EDIT: threw away a whopping dollar cause this thing is not working :(

Also dropped by the local camera store and they have loads of cameras you guys might be interested in.

3 - XA2 in stock
several Leica Minilux, one "new" in the box
Rollei 35

LOTS of others. If you have a hankering for something let me know and I'll see if they have it & price etc.

Nannypea fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 28, 2011

grumblybear
Jul 24, 2007
(2S)-1-phenylpropan-2-amine

RoflcopterPilot posted:

Does anybody know the difference between the yashica t3 vs the t4? I've read some small things but I guess I'm looking for any experience with them. The biggest I could find is the t3 has a 35/2.8 while the t4 has a 35/3.5 which is weird that a newer model would revert to the older lens on the t2. But yeah, anybody play with any of these?

I've had several T4s and they are my favorite cameras, the 35/3.5 is an amazing lens. I'm actually selling one in the buy/sell thread, if anyone's interested ...

edit:

grumblybear fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 28, 2011

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004

grumblybear posted:

I've had several T4s and they are my favorite cameras, the 35/3.5 is an amazing lens. I'm actually selling one in the buy/sell thread, if anyone's interested ...

Coolness, thanks. I've been trying to come up on a T4 for a while now but I can't really justify paying some of the asking prices I've come across. Even ebay prices have been kind of crazy lately. Hopefully I can find one on the cheap one of these days.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Olympus stylus epic mju II arrived last night, holy crap this thing is tiny. Even smaller (and much lighter) than an XA.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
A friend of mine is sending me a T4 soon, I'm psyched to try it out.

Another one from my new Ricoh (whose lens is sort of falling off :/):

Untitled by spikespikespike, on Flickr

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

I just picked up a Konica C35 EF off eBay for 25$, it will be my first film camera other than my Nishika n9000. I currently have a roll of Fujifilm 400, does anyone have recommendations for what else I might need to get?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Tell me how it goes. I've got the similar Konica C35 AF2, but I've never had any interest in actually using it.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

So I'm doing an internship in Europe at the moment, and even though I have a 35mm SLR with me, I've been using my Konica Big Mini a lot. And despot e the fact that I have a Yashica T4, I left mine at home and picked the Konica Big Mini over it. It's a surprisingly capable camera, it's just a bit held back because the time between turning it on and being able to take a picture is much slower than the Yashica T4, but only by a few seconds. It's a minor gripe, but sometimes it makes the difference.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If you want fast ready times, get an XA. Slide cover open, press button. Leave the camera set to the hyperfocal distance and you won't have to spend time focusing.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
And there's one in the buy/sell thread right now.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Maybe this belongs in the Toy Camera thread but I bought a never-used Ultra Wide & Slim for $10. It was advertised on Craigslist as a "Vivitar Ultra" by an older guy who told me he was getting rid of his camera collection.

Holy crap this thing is light. I can definitely see tossing it into the backpack on hikes. I wish there were some amount of exposure control because the situations I'd best be able to take advantage of the weight savings are the situations where I'd love to be able to use slide film :(

Maybe I should flip it to some hipster who would appreciate it more. Aren't these normally ridiculously overpriced considering what they are?

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
I think they're around $30 on ebay, along with the Superheadz rebadge/recolor versions.

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
I can't find a T4 anywhere :(

They used to go for $150ish and you'd be able to find a solid deal at around $100, but now they're all $200 or just not around. What is going onnnnnnnnnnn

VVV that's awesome. Can't wait until I can finally play with one. Post some snaps!...if you want.

RoflcopterPilot fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 24, 2011

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I just got my first roll back from my T4, and I have to say I'm amazed at how clear the pictures are. 200 speed color film, shooting with flash results in some amazing color.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Well i went and did it, I bought a brand-new stupidly expensive 35mm camera that isn't even an SLR or a rangefinder ... now for it to clear customs in time for my holiday next week.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

RoflcopterPilot posted:

I can't find a T4 anywhere :(

They used to go for $150ish and you'd be able to find a solid deal at around $100, but now they're all $200 or just not around. What is going onnnnnnnnnnn

VVV that's awesome. Can't wait until I can finally play with one. Post some snaps!...if you want.

Well the color is good, the pictures are not that interesting :/. I do have some gripes about the T4, its very literally a point and shoot camera. I find the viewfinder extremely hard to use and not practical, so I just sort of ended up thrusting it out in front of me in the general direction of the picture I wanted to take.

Repost from SAD:

98860021.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Not a repost:

98860008.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

I HATE CARS posted:

Well i went and did it, I bought a brand-new stupidly expensive 35mm camera that isn't even an SLR or a rangefinder ... now for it to clear customs in time for my holiday next week.
It looks sexy, what is it?

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004

Awkward Davies posted:

Well the color is good, the pictures are not that interesting :/. I do have some gripes about the T4, its very literally a point and shoot camera. I find the viewfinder extremely hard to use and not practical, so I just sort of ended up thrusting it out in front of me in the general direction of the picture I wanted to take.

Repost from SAD:

Very cool stuff. I've actually heard of that complaint before but I'm not surprised and I guess to a degree I expect that. Who needs to know what you're pointing at when you have a film p/s?!

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

RoflcopterPilot posted:

Very cool stuff. I've actually heard of that complaint before but I'm not surprised and I guess to a degree I expect that. Who needs to know what you're pointing at when you have a film p/s?!
Yeah, my only complaint about the T4 is the lack of control. Supposedly, you can half-press the shutter button to lock focus/exposure, but I've never been able to get that to work. But it has the best lens of any P&S I've used (including the Leica Minilux), it's small, feels nice in your hand, and the waist-level finder is really neat.. If the controls were better, it would be perfect.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

RoflcopterPilot posted:

Well, on my XA I can see clearly through the view finder so I can actually put together a shot. Not so much on the T4. I'm paying enough per roll that I dont like to just blindly fire away. I guess I should start developing my own, if I only had a darkroom...

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004

FasterThanLight posted:

Yeah, my only complaint about the T4 is the lack of control. Supposedly, you can half-press the shutter button to lock focus/exposure, but I've never been able to get that to work. But it has the best lens of any P&S I've used (including the Leica Minilux), it's small, feels nice in your hand, and the waist-level finder is really neat.. If the controls were better, it would be perfect.

For sure. I've been using a Yashica T2 and the half-press focus lock really comes in handy. I've never had issues with it which makes it kind of surprising when people mention it with the T4. I wonder why it would be worse...but then again I also wonder why the T3 has a 2.8 lens and T4 was taken back to the 3.5 that the T2 has. Shrug.

Awkward Davies posted:

Well, on my XA I can see clearly through the view finder so I can actually put together a shot. Not so much on the T4. I'm paying enough per roll that I dont like to just blindly fire away. I guess I should start developing my own, if I only had a darkroom...

I feel you. I used to just shoot away sometimes but after a few rolls and adding up how much it cost to develop and get everything back, it definitely makes me rethink about blowing exposures like they're free.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

spf3million posted:

It looks sexy, what is it?

Fuji Klasse S

Seeing as most of the detailed technical information about it is in Japanese it's probably best to link to the English PDF manual that Fuji provided for all of us importing these cameras from Japan - http://www.morganmalaska.se//dump/KLASSE-WS_E_090917.pdf

But that basics are: 38mm 2.8 lens, automatic everything, with manual override for everything.

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
One last question about the T4 and I swear I'll leave everybody alone. For those who have used the dateback, is it technically the same camera as the other versions...except with the date imprint? And also, there's no way you won't be able to change the date to anything at any time, or set it to not print right? I tried finding manuals online but couldn't find much.

grumblybear
Jul 24, 2007
(2S)-1-phenylpropan-2-amine

RoflcopterPilot posted:

One last question about the T4 and I swear I'll leave everybody alone. For those who have used the dateback, is it technically the same camera as the other versions...except with the date imprint? And also, there's no way you won't be able to change the date to anything at any time, or set it to not print right? I tried finding manuals online but couldn't find much.

yeah, i have my dateback turned off but you can set it to whatever you want, and yeah as far as i know there is no difference from the T4 and the T4d (which i think is the dateback version?) other than, of course, the dateback.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

MrBlandAverage posted:

Maybe this belongs in the Toy Camera thread but I bought a never-used Ultra Wide & Slim for $10. It was advertised on Craigslist as a "Vivitar Ultra" by an older guy who told me he was getting rid of his camera collection.

Holy crap this thing is light. I can definitely see tossing it into the backpack on hikes. I wish there were some amount of exposure control because the situations I'd best be able to take advantage of the weight savings are the situations where I'd love to be able to use slide film :(

Maybe I should flip it to some hipster who would appreciate it more. Aren't these normally ridiculously overpriced considering what they are?

Hah, I see those things all the time at local thrift shops for like three bucks. I've got a bunch of one-dollar Vivitar PN2011s sitting around too, they're fun to take kayaking or to just throw into a pocket.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I bought and found a few 35mm point and shoots before discovering that I like having control over what my camera is doing. Maybe I'll sell them to goons

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I have an all or nothing approach to cameras. I either want 100% loving manual all the way OR I want one goddamn button and nothing else.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
The one button approach can be pretty damned satisfying, good for drunk-shootin' at parties.

quote:

Paul MaudDib posted:
Anyway, thanks guys, now I have to keep my eyes open for a Vivitar UW&S and a Vivitar 2011whatever. At least they're cheap enough.

You posted this quite awhile ago, but if you're still looking for a PN2011, send me your mailing address on Flickr (flickr.com/epomorski) if you'd like one. I grabbed a couple of 'em last time I was at a thrift shop and forgot to get back to you about it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

The one button approach can be pretty damned satisfying, good for drunk-shootin' at parties.

I've shot entire concerts with a beer in one hand and either a Contax T2 or Olympus Stylus Epic in the other.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

brad industry posted:

I have an all or nothing approach to cameras. I either want 100% loving manual all the way OR I want one goddamn button and nothing else.
Pretty much this. Either I'm going to make drat sure everything is the way I want or I just want to frame and pres butan.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Where do you guys find old 60's and 70's rangefinders? I keep trying our equivalent of ebay, but I either get people better off than me paying 200 dollars for old XA's, and just now I had a woman try to push a Canonet 19 for 300 dollars...

I keep trying to flirt with film, but dang it, the camera gods aren't making it easy.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I got a Canonet QL17 for $40 and 3 XA's for $30-50 each on craigslist.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009
Just wait and search craiglist. I just restored a Canonet ql19 I got off craigslist for around $30. I got my XA off KEH for $45 with a flash. I hear the bay area is the best place for camera thrifting though, but Texas isn't too bad. Maybe I should start a thread about fixing up 1970's midrange rangefinders. Will anyone be interested?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

General Gingersnap posted:

Just wait and search craiglist. I just restored a Canonet ql19 I got off craigslist for around $30. I got my XA off KEH for $45 with a flash. I hear the bay area is the best place for camera thrifting though, but Texas isn't too bad. Maybe I should start a thread about fixing up 1970's midrange rangefinders. Will anyone be interested?

As someone who has a QL17-GIII and a Yashica Electro 35 GSN in need of a little maintenance, i'd be very interested!

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Trambopaline posted:

Where do you guys find old 60's and 70's rangefinders? I keep trying our equivalent of ebay, but I either get people better off than me paying 200 dollars for old XA's, and just now I had a woman try to push a Canonet 19 for 300 dollars...

I keep trying to flirt with film, but dang it, the camera gods aren't making it easy.

Holy poo poo XAs have gotten expensive. I bought mine for like $35 from ebay back in February, and now all the ones I see are like 70_: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Olympus+XA&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomic Hotdog
Aug 23, 2007
I've never seen such confident, powerful strokes of the ass!
^^^ If you wait a while, you might find something good. I was checking pretty frequently for a while and caught a Buy It Now XA2 for $20. Came with the flash, case, and it works perfectly.

• Locked thread