Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Are there any news sites that offer up things like in the Monday Night Wars? By that I mean I remember there being BREAKING NEWS about "in so and so's rap song there is a line that said "break yo back like lex lugar"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

No, actually the biggest thing I miss about the Monday night raw stuff was all the news on tuesdays about the backstage shinanigans in wcw. Every week there was a fight/something going on backstage.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Moose Bigelow posted:

Are there any news sites that offer up things like in the Monday Night Wars? By that I mean I remember there being BREAKING NEWS about "in so and so's rap song there is a line that said "break yo back like lex lugar"

You can use http://wayback.archive.org/web/ to view cached versions of internet sites from 1996 onwards. I tried to use it on Rajahwwf.com, but it hasn't cached the specific news articles, so you can't read the HOT EXCLUSIVE NEWS CLICK >>HERE<< articles themselves :{

The headlines aren't anywhere near as funny as I remember them being, either. I'm tempted to go back and find the headlines from the week leading upto the RAW where they revealed Vince as being the "higher power", because I'm pretty sure that was the height of "make poo poo up and post it to a newsboard" journalism.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Is the closest thing to a dirtsheet-style news site Gerweck?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

joshtothemaxx posted:

Is the closest thing to a dirtsheet-style news site Gerweck?

What's your definition of dirtsheet?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

How is being an nfl player easy? Their careers are shorter the wresters by a ton.

I didn't say easy, I said less difficult. And the main reason I said that is because football has an offseason. But I guess in thinking about it they're probably pretty comparable. Also the shortness of NFL careers is probably skewed SLIGHTLY by dudes ending up being busts.

Still, thanks for the answers guys, pretty much what I figured.

Also when I said easy, I meant NFL guys can easily make money that's probably comparable to an established WWE guy or, in the case of a star player, probably Cena-esque numbers. Because football guys make more money, because it's the NFL (and there's a union).

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 24, 2011

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Has Rey Mysterio ever been a heel?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Karmine posted:

Has Rey Mysterio ever been a heel?

in WCW with the filthy animals after he lost his mask

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

AkumaHokoru posted:

Even then he was a Russo heel, where nobody was over as a face or a heel and everybody did face and heelish things whenever it suited the man.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I didn't say easy, I said less difficult. And the main reason I said that is because football has an offseason. But I guess in thinking about it they're probably pretty comparable. Also the shortness of NFL careers is probably skewed SLIGHTLY by dudes ending up being busts.

Well, there are a lot more 6th-7th rounders, and undrafteds, than 1st rounders. And those guys are lucky if they can stay on an NFL roster for 2 years. So if they're an offensive lineman, they've been bashing their heads into 350-pound guys from the age of 14 to 24, for a grand total of $700,000.

Laurinaitis, being a 2nd round pick, will be making a lot more and have more job security.

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 25, 2011

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

George Kaplan posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM488qXX2U0&feature=player_detailpage#t=331s

You're not kidding!

Edit: What is the botch rate in things like AAA? Watching videos like this its hard to understand how these guys can keep doing this without slipping/falling all the time!

oh god, that ridiculous diving headbutt he does to the outside... How can anyone do that more than a few times without squashing vertebrae?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Tyma posted:

You can use http://wayback.archive.org/web/ to view cached versions of internet sites from 1996 onwards. I tried to use it on Rajahwwf.com, but it hasn't cached the specific news articles, so you can't read the HOT EXCLUSIVE NEWS CLICK >>HERE<< articles themselves :{

The headlines aren't anywhere near as funny as I remember them being, either. I'm tempted to go back and find the headlines from the week leading upto the RAW where they revealed Vince as being the "higher power", because I'm pretty sure that was the height of "make poo poo up and post it to a newsboard" journalism.

Ah, this is the way I remember it. http://web.archive.org/web/19980122101757/http://www.iwrestling.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.html

The first article is a headline "Will Jericho be at Wrestlemania 14????!"

Then you click on it and it says "There's no chance he'll be at Wrestlemania"

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
I'm watching the Legends of Wrestling Roundtable on the NWO and I never noticed how funny Kevin Nash's line "so this is where the big boys play? Look at the adjective - play," is. Wrestling fans have a poor grasp of grammar.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Satire Forum Mom posted:

I'm watching the Legends of Wrestling Roundtable on the NWO and I never noticed how funny Kevin Nash's line "so this is where the big boys play? Look at the adjective - play," is. Wrestling fans have a poor grasp of grammar.

Wrestling fans, you say...

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Moose Bigelow posted:

Not a riot per se but in the early days of DX when the crowd hit HBK with trash he was known to grab the mic and say "YOU JUST LOST YOUR MAIN EVENT!"
I was there. It was in Little Rock, Arkansas at Barton Coliseum. I was just a kid then. But yeah, HHH & HBK came out for HBK's match and somebody hit HBK with some trash and he just said something like that and left and there wasn't another match. It wasn't a total riot, but there was lots of poo poo going on. Smoke bombs going off everywhere on the floor level, I got covered in beer as everybody was throwing trash everywhere. Cops were getting really involved outside of the arena. People also destroying poo poo on the floor level.

The funny thing, one of the ONLY times in recorded human history...

...there was a huge "W-C-W! W-C-W! W-C-W!" CHANT going on. Hahaha.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

AkumaHokoru posted:

That was Rey Mysterio Jr, who was obviously this current Rey Mysterio's son!

evale
Dec 20, 2009
So, how much would licensing 'Cult of Personality' cost WWE? And how did ROH get away with it in the past?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

evale posted:

So, how much would licensing 'Cult of Personality' cost WWE? And how did ROH get away with it in the past?

Licensing costs are based on the projected audience. A "performance" of the song at the arena costs less than a "broadcast" of the song. ROH only pay performance royalties, because the show isn't intended for broadcast. If the show is then later broadcast on TV, then the broadcaster pays the roayalty fees.

WWE obviously has to pay the broadcast fee every time we hear the song, but I imagine at house / indie shows, the projected audience for the performance is so low that both companies probably write it off as a private performance, rather than a public one.

evale
Dec 20, 2009

Tyma posted:

Licensing costs are based on the projected audience. A "performance" of the song at the arena costs less than a "broadcast" of the song. ROH only pay performance royalties, because the show isn't intended for broadcast. If the show is then later broadcast on TV, then the broadcaster pays the roayalty fees.

WWE obviously has to pay the broadcast fee every time we hear the song, but I imagine at house / indie shows, the projected audience for the performance is so low that both companies probably write it off as a private performance, rather than a public one.

Thanks!

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Jerusalem posted:

That was Rey Mysterio Jr, who was obviously this current Rey Mysterio's son!

It's totally believable too! You can see the resemblance.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

This is more asking for peoples' opinions than a straight answer to something, but I can't really find anywhere else I'd post it without derailing any more topical conversation:

Is a PWInsider subscription worth it? It honestly seems really pricy for a newsletter and some podcasts.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Satire Forum Mom posted:

His sentence made complete sense, it was just the delivery was all wrong. How it came out was "Look at the adjective: Play." but the words themselves were fine with the proper delivery, like "This is where the big boys play? Check out the adjective." then "Play? We're not here to play."

He was so close.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

His sentence made complete sense, it was just the delivery was all wrong. How it came out was "Look at the adjective: Play." but the words themselves were fine with the proper delivery, like "This is where the big boys play? Check out the adjective." then "Play? We're not here to play."

He was so close.
He was pointing out that play is a verb not an adjective.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Cardboard Box posted:

Is a PWInsider subscription worth it? It honestly seems really pricy for a newsletter and some podcasts.

No. You will regret it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wojtek posted:

He was pointing out that play is a verb not an adjective.
Yes, but big is and Kevin Nash is big. Get it?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

This is more asking for peoples' opinions than a straight answer to something, but I can't really find anywhere else I'd post it without derailing any more topical conversation:

PWInsider? No.

Wrestling Observer/F4D? Yes.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Cardboard Box posted:

Nope, neither is the Torch. Only thing I'd recommend would be the Observer. I don't know about PWInsider audio quality, but man, Torch audio is poo poo.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Yes, but big is and Kevin Nash is big. Get it?
I'm not following :confused:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I'll look into Observer, then. Thanks for the suggestion.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Wojtek posted:

LL's saying that the line as written was fine: "This is where the big boys play? Look at the adjective." Who's bigger than Kevin Nash? Then you continue with, "Play? We're not here to play."

But Nash's delivery ran the two ideas together and emphasized "play" as "the adjective," which made it wrong.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wojtek posted:

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, so I'll just continue at the risk of looking retarded. Here's what he was saying with more words that fix it.

This is where the big boys play? Check out the adjective. Well I'm big, but I'm not here to play.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
Is Brock Lesnars book any good?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Lloyd Van Buren posted:

Heard it was pretty much garbage.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Lloyd Van Buren posted:

Shockingly a book from a man who is truculent with the media is not very open about his past.

e: drat you strenuous

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
Yeah figured it might be. Ah well.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

What was the card for Awfulmania?

hardcoremark
May 6, 2009

Lloyd Van Buren posted:

Not really, it's too short and he glosses over things far too quickly. His time in WWE takes up less than 4 chapters, which are only about 5 pages each. He fails to explain a lot of things too. Basically, you won't learn anything you didn't already know and will feel like you wasted your cash. It cost me nearly £15 from Foyles and was not worth it at all.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Lesnar makes himself seem more deserving to be champion than Eddie Gurerro, The Rock & Angle probably took turns backstabbing him and can't grasp the concept that after quitting if he had to come back he doesn't get the #1 slot because hey he can draw money [ignoring the fact that a lot of guys sacrificed to make him seem as tough as he appeared to be in the ring].

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
I keep getting emails for the fcw event here in orlando tonight. Part of the Email says "Plus meet Tough Enough's Bill Demott and Kevin Hackman." Who the hell is kevin hackman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Sionistic posted:

I keep getting emails for the fcw event here in orlando tonight. Part of the Email says "Plus meet Tough Enough's Bill Demott and Kevin Hackman." Who the hell is kevin hackman?

Kevin Hackman is silent rage aka andy the guy who won.