Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Ygolonac posted:

At one point, my local library had a large-format paperbound book that had a lot of details about the missile fields, and maps of each silo/command capsule/site, for the entire SAC missile deployment (at least what was unclassified/known). Damned if I can remember the name of the thing, it's been at least 6-8 years since I saw it.

The strike-maps in the back of War Day (Whitley Strieber and James Kunetka, 1984) show that my home town (Great Falls, MT) was a death zone. (Middle of the Minutemen fields, *and* Malmstrom AFB right outside town.) I always figured that it was a minimum 45 minutes or so (minimal traffic, decent weather) to get to a safe distance in case of sudden Commie Attack, so... :zombie:

Whatup if sudden Commie Attack happened we would have been screwed buddy. :):respek::)

I live in Grand Forks, ND which is close to the Grand Forks Air Base. We had the first Strategic Air Command for a while meaning we had B52s and Minute Man II ICBMs very close by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

iyaayas01 posted:

Back then, these systems weren't necessarily always in place; it depended on the aircraft. For example, the B-52 did not have a system installed originally: the crew depended on either a verbal bailout command or an "eject" light to initiate the sequence. Each crew member was responsible for ejecting themselves.

The B-52 IIRC had DOWNWARD ejecting seats for some (two??) of the positions.

Hope you ain't doing that "down in the weeds" flying when you have to bail out...

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

wkarma posted:

Let me save you some time.

http://goo.gl/Pfyv7 <--kmz download

http://goo.gl/Tb2h9 <--gmaps

So, looks like The Day After was completely accurate in portraying Minuteman silos right across the street from family farms!

Holy poo poo!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

NosmoKing posted:

The B-52 IIRC had DOWNWARD ejecting seats for some (two??) of the positions.

Yeah.

http://www.ejectionsite.com/b-52.htm

The navigator and radar navigator went out the bottom apparently.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

wkarma posted:

Does anyone have this, but for the SAC air force bases?

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Wow. Atlas E3 site 567-3 is a few miles from my best friend's home and the town I grew up in. I had no idea. We had birthdays 1 day a part and often celebrated them at his place. As children of the 80's, it's weird to think about what was right down the road.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
As a military brat I always lived right by bases. At any time during the 80s I would've been deader than dead in a nuclear exchange unless we were visiting my grandparents in Grass Valley. Oh, wait, they lived pretty close to Beale.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
Considering that I live less than a mile from TACOM and what used to be a huge Abrams plant, and also only about 15-20 minutes from Selfridge Airforce Base (which used to have B-52s) I feel pretty confident in assuming that in the event of sudden commie nuclear attack, I probably wouldn't even know it, maybe just see a flash of light or something.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

As a military brat I always lived right by bases. At any time during the 80s I would've been deader than dead in a nuclear exchange unless we were visiting my grandparents in Grass Valley. Oh, wait, they lived pretty close to Beale.

Me too but in the UK. Grew up (and still live) right next to RAF Finningley in Yorkshire. It's now a commercial airport but as a kid (and having watched Threads) we all knew we probably wouldn't even hear the bang when the Russkies pushed the button.

Didn't help when I watched a documentary in the 80s about an exercise and the guys had a map of the UK on the wall and were saying something like 'let's assume 15-20 warheads targeted at Finningley'.

On the plus side (I think), it turned me into the aviation/military nerd I am today!

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.
I grew up in Las Vegas. Not sure what would have happened, other than being blown up by Matthew Broderick and Ally Sheedy.

I did get to feel some underground tests. We lived in NW vegas. They'd announce the times on the radio so people wouldn't freak out. We lived in a trailer, so everything shook pretty good. It was cool.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I would have figured that if you were really serious about national air defense, you'd put the missile all over the joint and inside of innocuous items like cargo containers. Maskirovka is the name of the game comrade! :ussr:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Hey, nuclear target chat!

I live fairly close to Stewart International, which is also home to the 105th Airlift of the New York ANG. Back when I was younger it was a full fledged Air Force base, and IIRC it's the 6th longest airstrip in the nation. I think the longest is like 35,000 feet. It was a bomber base, the whole deal.

When you throw in the fact that West Point is only a few minutes down the road, too, I would have been nuked multiple times over, probably with some of the bigger bombs in the Soviet arsenal.

Accuracy? We don't need no stinkin' accuracy, make the bombs bigger!

e- oh and at the time, one of the more important IBM factories was here too, making whatever it was IBM was selling in the 60's and 70's. That location was once their main factory, and it made the computer that faced Kasparov in chess

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 24, 2011

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

Hey, nuclear target chat!

I live fairly close to Stewart International, which is also home to the 105th Airlift of the New York ANG. Back when I was younger it was a full fledged Air Force base, and IIRC it's the 6th longest airstrip in the nation. I think the longest is like 35,000 feet. It was a bomber base, the whole deal.

When you throw in the fact that West Point is only a few minutes down the road, too, I would have been nuked multiple times over, probably with some of the bigger bombs in the Soviet arsenal.

Accuracy? We don't need no stinkin' accuracy, make the bombs bigger!

e- oh and at the time, one of the more important IBM factories was here too, making whatever it was IBM was selling in the 60's and 70's. That location was once their main factory, and it made the computer that faced Kasparov in chess

There's a bike shop (of all odd places to find it) here in WI that has a civil defense target map of the Twin Cities area in MN. It shows the estimated DGZ's and damage areas for the metro and surrounding area.

I'll see if it's still there and get a picture of it if I can.

Anyone know of an online source where a bunch of these things are compiled??

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I've seen one of those before. Since I live in the greater NYC metro area, there were red circles going right up the Hudson River valley. Good stuff.

Oh and I guess the longest listed runway at Stewart is just shy of 12,000 feet. I think there's a longer one that's not being included, but I can't find it anywhere.

Aciid c0d3r
Jun 21, 2008
"Shouldn't you be out mowing the lawn, or spending time with your wife?"
\
:backtowork:

NosmoKing posted:

There's a bike shop (of all odd places to find it) here in WI that has a civil defense target map of the Twin Cities area in MN. It shows the estimated DGZ's and damage areas for the metro and surrounding area.

I found this site that has everything listed by state. You can click each state to see a map of the affected cities. It also has a national fallout map and a prevailing winds map. The website itself is a little :tinfoil: but the maps are of the revision from FEMA in 1990.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Xerxes17 posted:

I would have figured that if you were really serious about national air defense, you'd put the missile all over the joint and inside of innocuous items like cargo containers. Maskirovka is the name of the game comrade! :ussr:

Had to google maskirovka and this page about the cuban crisis poped up:
https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/csi-publications/csi-studies/studies/vol46no1/article06.html
Makes for an interesting read.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Shoot, I live about as close to Ellsworth as you can get without being on base (literally less than a mile from the runway, closer to the runway than most of the base housing is, especially after they removed some of the unused buildings).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Growing up in Victoria, BC I was fairly close to the Trident sub base in Bangor, WA. So it'd be fairly bad times all round for that area of the pacific northwest.

Also home of Canada's pacific fleet (in Esquimalt), if the russians felt like using a nuke on that. What the hell they had enough of em.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
I've got you all beat (except for maybe Vincent since his grandparents lived outside Beale, because that was getting hit right off the bat.)

I grew up right next to Offutt...you know, SAC Headquarters, underground command post, home of the Looking Glass airborne command post as well as the E-4 NEACP (now NAOC)/"Doomsday Plane". A couple bunker busting 15 MT warheads on the SAC CP would've made for a bad day for everyone concerned.

On an unrelated note, I got to fly with the Australians on their C-130J during a Red Flag sortie up here last week...that was quite a ride. Got to sit up on the flight deck during the low level portion of the flight and I don't think we got above 300' AGL the whole time. The GCAS would go off at least once every minute or two. They cranked it around in a couple turns that definitely exceeded 60 degrees of bank.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

NosmoKing posted:

Did a little poking and found this PDF of a FEMA document dated September 1990.

If nuclear war broke out, I really wouldn't want to be living where I am right now. I'm pretty sure Seattle would just get wiped off the map.

Oh, and have an F/A-18.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
This is always a good read, too.

Theoretical nuclear exchange between the US and USSR.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

This is always a good read, too.

Theoretical nuclear exchange between the US and USSR.

I like that they think a nuclear exchange between the US and the USSR automatically means that the rest of the world will fall into civil war just because.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

priznat posted:

Growing up in Victoria, BC I was fairly close to the Trident sub base in Bangor, WA. So it'd be fairly bad times all round for that area of the pacific northwest.

Also home of Canada's pacific fleet (in Esquimalt), if the russians felt like using a nuke on that. What the hell they had enough of em.

why the hell have I never seen you at any of the PNW shoots but I've shot like half a dozen times with Mike?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Armyman25 posted:

I like that they think a nuclear exchange between the US and the USSR automatically means that the rest of the world will fall into civil war just because.

In 1988? Not that unlikely, given all the proxy war poo poo happening.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if a massive shift in the world geopolitical scene caused by a major nuclear exchange between the USSR and US would be the starting point for numerous civil wars world wide. Many of the governments in power would suddenly find themselves without the financial and material support that one of the two superpowers had previously been providing. This sudden perceived weakness would be just what anti government groups would be looking for as a sign to go for a power grab.

That said at the end of the article there is a somewhat positive outlook in that its not the world killing nuclear winter that some people had predicted. Nearly all of TFR's population would have been killed, but at least other places in the world would continue on.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

SyHopeful posted:

why the hell have I never seen you at any of the PNW shoots but I've shot like half a dozen times with Mike?

I suck and haven't been down to the US in a good 5-6 years just because I'm really lazy and hate travel :(

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Armyman25 posted:

South Africa and China are mentioned by name, and parts of that were written shortly after Tiananmen Square and before Nelson Mandela was freed.

When you shut off the largest food exporter and irradiate the large industrial sectors of the world, the least you can expect is massive food riots in parts of the third world. Look at how quickly Libya devolved from unarmed protest to armed civil war.

kill me now posted:

That said at the end of the article there is a somewhat positive outlook in that its not the world killing nuclear winter that some people had predicted. Nearly all of TFR's population would have been killed, but at least other places in the world would continue on.

Both sides of the nuclear debate usually color the discussion with exaggerations either way. Nuclear winter probably doesn't mean the extinction of the human race, or even the end of civilization as we know it. It most likely would set our development back a few hundred years, though.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 25, 2011

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

VikingSkull posted:

South Africa and China are mentioned by name, and parts of that were written shortly after Tiananmen Square and before Nelson Mandela was freed.

When you shut off the largest food exporter and irradiate the large industrial sectors of the world, the least you can expect is massive food riots in parts of the third world. Look at how quickly Libya devolved from unarmed protest to armed civil war.

Both sides of the nuclear debate usually color the discussion with exaggerations either way. Nuclear winter probably doesn't mean the extinction of the human race, or even the end of civilization as we know it. It most likely would set our development back a few hundred years, though.

Not too mention what people controlling the remainder of the US/Russia arsenals would do after the governmental collapse. I could see those nukes getting used fairly frequently and fighting to control them.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Aciid c0d3r posted:

I found this site that has everything listed by state.

Wyoming's is great.

http://www.ki4u.com/webpal/d_resources/states/wy.htm

There's not much to shoot at in Wyoming... unless you live in Laramie county. Cheyenne Mountain and Warren Air Force Base get a little extra something. You know, just to make sure.

Edit: North Dakota is pretty hosed too, and their fallout pattern fucks much of the upper Midwest.

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 25, 2011

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

I'd like to see the SIOP and see if there's a few "Aw, gently caress THAT guy" targets on the list. As long as you're tossing ten thousand warheads and more at targets in the USSR, don't you think there would be the periodic "may as well blow up that dickhead as long as we're going completely balls-out" targets as well.

Toss Lybia, Iraq, Iran, North Korea, and any other "this guy has always been a pain in my rear end" targets on the list of places to remove from the surface of the earth as well as long as you're ending the world.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

NosmoKing posted:

I'd like to see the SIOP and see if there's a few "Aw, gently caress THAT guy" targets on the list. As long as you're tossing ten thousand warheads and more at targets in the USSR, don't you think there would be the periodic "may as well blow up that dickhead as long as we're going completely balls-out" targets as well.

Toss Lybia, Iraq, Iran, North Korea, and any other "this guy has always been a pain in my rear end" targets on the list of places to remove from the surface of the earth as well as long as you're ending the world.

Pretty much any place that could be used by either side for tactical or strategic movement and supply would be targeted. The Suez and Panama canals? Gone. Do you have a major port, dam, or highway and rail systems? It's getting nuked. Airfield of, say, 10,000 feet? Bye bye.

At the height of the Cold War, most of the world had either willingly or unwillingly been included in one side or the other.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

Wyoming's is great.

http://www.ki4u.com/webpal/d_resources/states/wy.htm

There's not much to shoot at in Wyoming... unless you live in Laramie county. Cheyenne Mountain and Warren Air Force Base get a little extra something. You know, just to make sure.

Edit: North Dakota is pretty hosed too, and their fallout pattern fucks much of the upper Midwest.

Cheyenne is a city in Wyoming and no where near anything you'd call a mountain. Those are most likely ICBM sites. Also I believe there used to be a nuke power plant either there or on the other side of the boarder in Colorado.

Cheyenne Mountain is in Colorado Springs about 180 miles away and that's where NORAD is. The mountain is actually cracked and unsuitable for the original goals, but they found out too late and decided to push forward. They'd just count on Soviet nukes not being accurate enough to get a direct hit.

From the Colorado page on that site:

quote:

DENSE PACK - Look at all those target sites. So close Together! It serves a purpose. It is missiles protecting missles, and this is how it is done. These are "hardened" sites. Meaning it takes a direct ground explosion to dig them out. An air burst will not do it. When you have a ground explosion it throws many tons of dust and sand up into the air. High into the air. This is what will later become fallout carried by the winds hundreds, sometimes thousands, of miles away. But right over that site that has just been hit the sand and grit in the air is very thick for quite a while. Another high speed missile (ICBM) trying to come through it will have its skin torn off just like by sand blasting and it will be destroyed. So the other missile sites nearby are safe. On the other hand, because missiles take off much slower than the speeds they eventually reach, the missiles in the undamaged silos can still be launched and will pass through the dust cloud without be harmed. Neat, eh? See there is a purpose in putting so many in one place. Now the only way that you can dig them out is with what is called a slow walk. Hit a target. Move on further and hit another target where the dust from the first won't hurt you. Come back thirty or forty-five minutes later and hit a second target near where you hit the first, after the cloud has had time to blow away. A slow process. Some silos will already have launched and you will waste the shot. Others can still wait to launch later because you can only get one at a time. This could go on for days. Neat. The military missiles protecting missiles. But they don't protect you, because if you are downwind you will get the fallout. Fatal if you are not in a shelter. They call it Defense but it is only Destruction. Nothing here defends or protects you, if they are used.

NathanScottPhillips fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 25, 2011

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

Pretty much any place that could be used by either side for tactical or strategic movement and supply would be targeted. The Suez and Panama canals? Gone. Do you have a major port, dam, or highway and rail systems? It's getting nuked. Airfield of, say, 10,000 feet? Bye bye.

At the height of the Cold War, most of the world had either willingly or unwillingly been included in one side or the other.

Sounds like a good argument for reducing the amount of nukes in the world.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Armyman25 posted:

Sounds like a good argument for reducing the amount of nukes in the world.

Thankfully, a lot have been destroyed since the early 90's, but there's no realistic difference between 5,000 and 50,000.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Cheyenne Mountain is in Colorado Springs about 180 miles away and that's where NORAD is.

Oops you're right. However I'm going to guess that that air force base I mentioned is in the middle of a missile field or something.

quote:

The mountain is actually cracked and unsuitable for the original goals, but they found out too late and decided to push forward.

I guess it found a second life as a provider of establishing shots for lots of movies and TV shows that take place in a cool looking underground military installation.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

wkarma posted:

That is fantastic. Thanks. :)

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

slidebite posted:

That is fantastic. Thanks. :)

This is loving awesome!

I have literally driven within a few hundred yards of some of those sights and had no fuckin clue.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

Thankfully, a lot have been destroyed since the early 90's, but there's no realistic difference between 5,000 and 50,000.

This is one time I'll borrow from Tom Clancy: I have a gun pointed at your head with a full 13 bullets. I dump out 7, still feel safe bro? :smug:

Also good to know the Soviets considered Detroit worthy of destruction, go Michigan! :toot:

(insert comment about how Detroit already looks like a nuke hit it here)

Alaan
May 24, 2005

In cold war terms Detroit was still a major industrial center. It might not be as easy to turn a car factory into a tank factory these days, but its still got plenty of use if it came to slugging it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

NosmoKing posted:

I just asked dad about this. He used to carry the SIOP with him to work when he was flight crew on Looking Glass, SAC's airborne command post.

He says that it was pretty much just the kind of thing you'd expect, nothing that really seemed out of place.