Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

DigitalMocking posted:

No issues at all here in portland. BAMF 2.1 with MR2 radio.

I think it was on verizon's end. I am going to keep rolling with MR2.0 for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I thought I had blocked the OTA updates so I let my idiot guard down and it bit me today.

My thunderbolt downloaded the OTA update from Verizon and tries to apply it. But now it is stuck in a loop. The update reboots the phone, which goes into clockworkmod recovery, which fails to verify whole-file signature, then stops. When I reboot the phone it reboots fine, all the way into Sense. Then after a 20 seconds or so the phone reboots itself (with a shutting down message) and tries to apply the update again.

I'm thinking of trying to unroot the phone to fix the loop because I have the phone in USB debug charge only mode. Is this a good idea? I am running just the straight rooted Thunderbolt rom, nothing special. The thing I think it is tripping up on is that the bloatware has been removed so the update can't "fix" them.

Edit: turns out I still had the pg05img.zip file on the SD card. Flashing it with Hboot solved the problem. of course I have to reinstall everything but oh well.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 23, 2011

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1181486

MIUI is out for the Droid X.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1181486

MIUI is out for the Droid X.

That rules!

My fiance played with my Miui Fascinate and loved it. So I flashed her OG Droid with Miui and she is enjoying it. I can't seem to find anything in the first four post to indicate that anything isn't working. Is CM7 completely working on the DX?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I'm pretty sure most everything was working IF you installed a patch afterwards, but I haven't used it in a few weeks. Going to try MIUI tonight though after work.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
drat froyo kernel. Wanted to try out miui

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
So my friend has a Nook Color and I put CM7 on it for her a while ago and that's been pretty good except using phone apps on a larger screen kinda sucks and I think moving to a Honeycomb ROM would be pretty neat and might help with a few of the app layouts sucking.

Anybody have any recommendations on a HC from for Nook Color?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

1997 posted:

So my friend has a Nook Color and I put CM7 on it for her a while ago and that's been pretty good except using phone apps on a larger screen kinda sucks and I think moving to a Honeycomb ROM would be pretty neat and might help with a few of the app layouts sucking.

Honeycomb doesn't fix phone apps or change their layouts.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

1997 posted:

Anybody have any recommendations on a HC from for Nook Color?

I'd recommend going with MIUI. It's faster than the last CM 7 I tried and they GUI is much better suited to a tablet. A new version should be coming out today or tomorrow.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

fishmech posted:

Honeycomb doesn't fix phone apps or change their layouts.

I mean apps not designed for a tablet but were designed for a phone.

Sizzlechest posted:

I'd recommend going with MIUI. It's faster than the last CM 7 I tried and they GUI is much better suited to a tablet. A new version should be coming out today or tomorrow.

I'd go with this but she likes being on Facebook and Reddit and I'll sometimes use the Awful app on it and the Honeycomb layouts for all those are much better on HC than on CM7 or MIUI.

1997 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 23, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

1997 posted:

I mean apps not designed for a tablet but were designed for a phone.

Exactly. Honeycomb won't make them work better on a tablet.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

fishmech posted:

Exactly. Honeycomb won't make them work better on a tablet.

Well there's a Honeycomb optimized version of all those apps (Freindcaster, Reddita, Awful) so I'm not sure why you're being so dense.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

Anybody ever flashed the radio on an Inspire? I just rooted and ROMd mine today, put Android Revolution on there and its working nice enough so far. The forum post says flashing up to their more recent radio.img is highly recommended, so I downloaded all the files and followed the instructions in the readme (open a cmd prompt in the radio folder and enter some commands for a few exe files while your phone is on the hboot screen). It didn't throw any errors but when I reboot and go check the software versions my Baseband is unchanged.

So I look around some more and find another method in this thread which claims to be safer and easier than what I just did. It just tells you to put your radio.img into a particularly named zip file in your sdcard's root directory and reboot into the recovery screen. And sure enough while hboot is initializing everything it sees that zip file and I get a vertical status bar up in the top-right of the screen. It fills up and goes away and the phone just sits there on that white screen. I reboot from there and everything comes back up, go check my Software numbers and Baseband remains the same.

Since flashing your radio is one of the most bricktastic things you can do with your device I'm hesitant to keep trying random things, thought I'd ask here if anyone has actually done it and can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Well you fuckers are no help <:mad:> Finally got it working, and in case anyone else has the same issue I think the problem was that I was storing radio.img in a zip file. Once I tried it with a file that had been compressed in a zip file it went through without a hitch.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I was going to try the Sense 3.0 "Virtuous Unity" ROM on my wife's G2, and it looks like the project rage quit. Ha.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1115333

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

Civil posted:

I was going to try the Sense 3.0 "Virtuous Unity" ROM on my wife's G2, and it looks like the project rage quit. Ha.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1115333

Unity was a fantastic ROM and here's their reason for quitting:

http://www.virtuousrom.com/2011/07/virtuous-unity-project-on-hold.html

I hate the Android community.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

What's that? Second one in as many weeks. Yea gently caress the majority of Android users.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

I hope they asked HTC about using all their proprietary Sense files :v: Both sides sound stupid and lovely there.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

"This is why we can't have nice things."

Lately I've been really disappointed in the community too. Unfortunately a lot revolves around XDA since it's huge but as a commenter on that post said it's the wild west. The moderators are horribly ineffective and the site is just full of trolls/idiots. It's like geocities over there, every poster has to have their own thread to talk about a silly snapshot they took with their phone or how their battery life has lasted over 4 days now!!!

I've been watching the XDA Evo 3D forums for awhile now waiting for news of root and I just can't take it any longer. I'll be watching twitter or something instead. While the HTC Sensation forums aren't much better, there are actually E3D devs posting over there instead to get away from all the drama in the E3D forum. It's pathetic and most certainly not the kind of community you want to spend much time helping.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Another friendly reminder that nearly all of the Android "dev community" is script kiddies repackaging CM/MIUI with a kernel and a bad theme.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
So has anyone tried MIUI on their X?

I'm interested but just came back to AOSP liberty from CM7, and if it's based off CM7, I really don't want to deal with that for a little at least. Curious if everything is working. Read through the thread that was linked but really didn't get any kind of info from it.

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus
I'm thinking of taking the plunge and installing CM7 on my Droid X. Anything I should know beforehand? I'm currently running stock .596 rooted, so I know I'll have to SBF back to Froyo. What makes me hesitant is the idea of having to go through the upgrade process to return to rooted GB if I don't like it.

Specifically, anyone care to chime in on things like GPS performance, battery life, or any other annoyances they have with it that might make me want to hold off until they figure out how to boot it off the GB kernel? And what about MIUI?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

There's an all in one fix package available for CM7 that you should install after flashing the ROM. For the most part everything was working ok. GPS seemed to take a bit longer for me for some reason. Just last night I flashed back to AOSP Liberty because I was unable to run a few games that I enjoy wasting time with. I would attempt to run them and they would just set the screen to black and then eventually reboot.

Of course, your mileage will probably vary.

Edit: also, consider this anecdotal, but the battery seemed to drain a bit faster that what I've been used to with AOSP Liberty. It got me through the day, so that's all that really matters. But if that's something that bugs you, heads up.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 23, 2011

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Is anyone cares, Virtous 3.0 is a pretty solid rom and there's a mod for stuff like showing the battery percentage. It's pretty solid with only a couple of quirks. I'd still reccomend installing it if you can find a link to 1.29.

EDIT: The download page is back up:

http://www.virtuousrom.com/p/download.html

Here's the MOD thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1145566

Sizzlechest fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 23, 2011

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I'm running CM7 on my Thunderbolt and I keep having stupid wifi problems. After a reboot or switching out of airplane mode, things are fine for a brief while. After that it'll find my networks and say it's connected and everything but I won't get any online access. What's weird is that in Settings, the network will say it has an "Excellent" connection but the little wifi wave symbol in the notification bar will stay gray.

Anyone else had similar problems? It sounds like lots of people with CM7 have had wifi problems although not quite like what's happening to me. Any suggestions? Maybe try a different kernel or something? I'm just using the one it came with.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
:siren:Hey folks, :siren:

Some of you may have been following the news lately of a quantity of HTC G2 warranty replacements being shipped with an unrootable form of 2.3.3 Gingerbread. Well just last night someone apparently found a way to temproot and downgrade the device to a prior OTA build. It will still be S-ON, but at least you'll now be rootable!

Check it out here.

This also ties in quite nicely with an automated utility for rooting the DZ/G2 located here.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Decided, screw it... I want to try MIUI.

Currently installing on my X.

Edit: installed... and boy is this different. Definitely going to take some getting used to.

This is really going to take some getting used to... but it's VERY slick and VERY responsive. I haven't found anything that doesn't work just yet. GPS, camera, and camcorder all work great. Although it's not the MIUI camera that's in the ROM, it's just the AOSP camera. It's the only thing though that I've seen in the ROM that's AOSP so far.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 23, 2011

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

rotaryfun posted:

Decided, screw it... I want to try MIUI.

Currently installing on my X.

Edit: installed... and boy is this different. Definitely going to take some getting used to.

Keep in mind you're not stuck with the MIUI launcher. I really like MIUI but that launcher is god loving awful.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Keep in mind you're not stuck with the MIUI launcher. I really like MIUI but that launcher is god loving awful.

If you don't use the MIUI launcher then what's the point of running MIUI? What would remain if I switched to GO Launcher Ex or LPP?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

rotaryfun posted:

If you don't use the MIUI launcher then what's the point of running MIUI? What would remain if I switched to GO Launcher Ex or LPP?

The entire OS got an overhaul. Once you have it running just go explore it a bit. You'll see.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

MIUI is sliiick.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MIUI would crash every time I tried to use maps or navigation on my droid 1, and was completely unresponsive. I just switched by to CM7 and am back to having no problems at all.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Looks like the reason MIUI for the droid x has the aosp camera installed is because the miui camera just doesn't work. Hopefully they fix that eventually.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

Mr. Despair posted:

Looks like the reason MIUI for the droid x has the aosp camera installed is because the miui camera just doesn't work. Hopefully they fix that eventually.

It works. I'm using it after installing it from an APK I found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=984279&page=15

You just have to change the settings to 3264x2448, but without widescreen. From what I've read, all motorola did was setup blur to crop that same sized image down to "widescreen" anyway.

MIUI is ridiculously good, and I can't see myself going back to Liberty, Apex or even CM7. It seems like an actual OS, as opposed to a new skin with more settings available.

However, if anyone can get it to run a new boot animation, please let me know. Also if you find a way to make the camera default to something other than stock, also let me know that.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Still liking it quite a bit. I did decide to go ahead and install go launcher ex and am still really happy with the overall system. Really liking the amount of themes and customization that's available. Probably give it a few days to see how it grows on me. Hopefully the battery flattens out a bit. Died on me by 10ish tonight but I have been using it quite a bit so I'm not too worried about that. Although every now and again I do feel like the phone feels a bit hotter than normal.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

I absolutely cannot wait to upgrade to a new phone and leave my OG Droid behind in its sluggish laggy hell of its own. But since I've been using my Xoom for all my app needs, running the latest GPA Build of Peter Alfonso's Gingerbread ROM (the guy who made bugless beast), I get this kind of performance out of it, and felt the need to share...

I still can't believe a phone thats 4 months shy of being 2 years old is still getting battery life like this. Of course my homescreen is just simi clock, and a nice pleasant picture to look at. My droid just basically does music in my car, the news & weather app here and there, and texting. This thing really was a brickhouse of stability and reliability. I will no doubt miss it the day its gone. My new every 2 is ready to go in August, but I'm holding out for a Verizon Motorola phone with an NFC chip. I hope that happens before Christmas.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Uhm, sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, and I'll delete my post if something's wrong, but I want to know how to root my HTC Wildfire. I accidentally updated to 2.2.1 when the update came out, completely forgetting about my intention to root it. I tried Unrevoked straight after to check if it supported the new firmware, and it said it didn't. The Unrevoked people have said that it doesn't work with 2.2 and they'd fix it soon, but it's been a few months with no progress.

Is there any way to root it? Thanks in advance for help, this is my first android so I'm not too sure about these things!

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Unrevoked for Wildfire is the easiest option, probably.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
EVO running Fresh 4.2 - I've had this EVO since October.
I feel like an idiot looking back at this. One of those, just should have left well enough alone.

I was on a road trip and went to use Wifi tether and it didn't work. So I googled and read that people were having problems with tether on 4.2, so... I did what could have been the first mistake in a list of mistakes.

I flashed down to 4.1 to try that. Nope... still no Wifi Tether... so again, possible mistake, I flashed to the last time I KNEW wifi tether worked Fresh 3.3.0.1.

Wifi tether then worked, but now, Gmail is all sorts of messed up and will not sync or even email. If it does sync it just syncs back to June 19th which is odd because that was way before I even started flashing around.

I did get it to sync once, and I saw current email, but when I went back to the inbox it went back to June 19th again and everything was gone. On the computer side, Gmail works fine and I see everything as usual.

Where do I go from here? No, in my haste I didn't backup RECENTLY...been since I rooted in Oct. (stupid). If I go through nandroid and wipe all user data will I have to go through the whole rooting process again?

Krime fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 24, 2011

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Is there a solid almost fully functional Samsung Galaxy S II ROM? Every one I've tried doesn't work with A2DP or has some other annoying messaging quirks. I've since gone back to the stock ROM as much as I'm not a huge TouchWhiz fan. 4.0 is a pretty big improvement over 3 though I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Godinster posted:

Is there a solid almost fully functional Samsung Galaxy S II ROM? Every one I've tried doesn't work with A2DP or has some other annoying messaging quirks. I've since gone back to the stock ROM as much as I'm not a huge TouchWhiz fan. 4.0 is a pretty big improvement over 3 though I guess

Have you tried the CM7 nightlies? I think the dev team is trying pretty hard to get A2DP working, but I don't know if they have succeeded just yet. There are plenty of other reasons to use CM7 as well.