Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Can anyone offer advice as to what style of dress might suit my figure?

I'm 5'1" and pear-shaped. Let my present measurements speak for themselves: 41" hips, 30" waist, and 36" bust.

I'm not looking for anything super-formal, and my preferences are for something...oh, knee or tea-length. I guess I favor a vintage style, crinolines and petticoats included, though I'm completely undecided right now. :smith:

Any insight is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cissa
Sep 23, 2007
One Lucky Duck

my cat is norris posted:

I'm 5'1" and pear-shaped. Let my present measurements speak for themselves: 41" hips, 30" waist, and 36" bust.

I'm not looking for anything super-formal, and my preferences are for something...oh, knee or tea-length. I guess I favor a vintage style, crinolines and petticoats included, though I'm completely undecided right now. :smith:

Blue Velvet Vintage has some cute stuff. This one in particular seems to fit your needs: http://www.bluevelvetvintage.com/50s-inspired-white-tulle-full-skirt-tea-length-party-dress.html

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ooh. That's a good suggestion, Cissa, thank you! Do you think it would be flattering to my body type? That's my biggest concern.

You must understand, I'm not a very, uh..."girly" sort of girl, so certain elements of fashion and style completely elude me. I'd get married in yoga pants and a t-shirt if I could, heh.

Doodle Poodle
Jul 5, 2011

Cissa posted:

Blue Velvet Vintage has some cute stuff. This one in particular seems to fit your needs: http://www.bluevelvetvintage.com/50s-inspired-white-tulle-full-skirt-tea-length-party-dress.html

I'm 5'1" and pear-shaped as well, and this is a good choice. I literally have a closet full of formal dresses like this, that bow our from underneath the chest, and want a similar wedding dress. It basically hides how big your hips are in proportion to your waist. You definitely will want a shorter length dress as well.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Sounds like you and I could be exchanging a lot of fashion tips, hahah. Thanks for the input!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Honorific! posted:

My boyfriend and I ordered a set of custom rings from http://www.etsy.com/shop/MinterandRichterDes. The rings are beautiful and the husband and wife team were absolutely fabulous to work with.

Wow, those are some nice looking rings.

I know what I'm getting if she says yes, at least.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

my cat is norris posted:

You may want to go ask for advice in the Women's Fashion Megathread. The thread can get a bit intense sometimes, but you'll get plenty of help from very knowledgeable people.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Okay, I have an annoying problem that I'm asking for help here since it's expressly for a bridal shower. If anyone thinks this is better suited for another thread, please let me know.

I'm the Matron of Honor (do we still use that term, matron?) for my SIL. (I'm also the ONLY attendant, but that's another issue entirely.) I'm starting to assemble things and ideas for her bridal shower. I have it pretty much under control except one thing is eluding me: Fireflies. Her invites have fireflies on them, she loves fireflies. So I wanted the decor for the shower to feature her colors (deep purple and silver) and fireflies. My Google-Fu has utterly failed me. I cannot find a single goddamned firefly anything to work with (anything not involving Serenity that is.) I will literally take anything at this point: nice looking stickers, buttons, little fireflies for floral arrangements, inexpensive jewelry, anything! I'm relatively crafty and am determined to make anything work for me just to incorporate them somehow. I've been to the local Hobby Lobby and Michaels and GardenRidge and come up with crap.

I am even trying to think of ways to somehow craft the little buggers myself, but I am coming up somewhat short on that.

Suggestions, thoughts, links?

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

AlistairCookie posted:

Suggestions, thoughts, links?

How a bout a jar with a firefly in it:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/cubegoodies/e90c/

Nice table decoration, anyway.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Forgive me if this is an obvious suggestion but searching "lightning bug" might get you some results without all the tv show false positives.

Have you tried looking on etsy? A quick search yields a handful of items that might work for you.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Thank you! Thinkgeek never occurred to me--I was searching for crafty type stuff. (I like those a helluva lot better than those jars that keep coming up that look like a jumble of Christmas lights stuffed in a mason jar.) They could be centerpieces and double as game/door prizes for people to take home.

And, would you believe, it never occurred to me to search "lightning bug"? :downs: I got all Boolean up in here with -Serenity and -Fillion and such, but never lightning bugs. I am dumb, thank you for stating the obvious.

Hobson
Oct 19, 2009

This is not the way I wish to be remembered.
If you don't find anything, how about just using little yellow lights? You can string them in fake trees or whatever. If you really wanted to get detailed I am sure you can find a way to attach wings somehow.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Bought my dress this weekend, wasn't expecting to do that in under 2 hours at all! Got the engagement pictures scheduled for next month, and I finish my last clinical rotation tomorrow...time to buckle down and start planning I suppose. May is creeping up faster than I want it to creep.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Fire In The Disco posted:

You may want to go ask for advice in the Women's Fashion Megathread. The thread can get a bit intense sometimes, but you'll get plenty of help from very knowledgeable people.

Thanks. Excellent idea, and acted upon.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
How many bridesmaids is a "normal" amount? A woman on my Facebook posted pictures of her wedding from yesterday where she had EIGHT, which I thought was...a lot.

EDIT: OK I understand that. From what else I've seen on her page she a touch on the narcissistic side but I think she also has a fairly sizable family/group of friends.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 24, 2011

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
The amount I see a lot is 4, but people can have as many as they want. Consider this. If you're part of a larger group of friends, in which you're all very close knit, wouldn't you want them all as bridesmaids/groomsmen?

For example, my future sister-in-law asked six people (not sure if they all said yes. I did. v:shobon:v) She has four sisters, and wanted to include me and a mutual friend of ours as well, because we've all hung out together since high school. She didn't want to exclude any of us, so she asked us all.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
I had four bridesmaids and a bridesman and five groomsmen. We ran into a problem on my husband's side because we wanted it to be balanced but he had seven guys he wanted involved in the wedding party. We ended up taking the remaining two and making them ushers which worked out in the end. I would say we had a large wedding party but I've seen some where the bride has fourteen (yes. 14) bridesmaids for a wedding of about 40 people. I guess it just matters what feels right to you.

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003
What's your email? I've got some shitty posts that you NEED to read.
About hosted bars--we said there'd be 101 drinkers, but only 90 showed. Should I expect to be reimbursed for the 11 that we paid for that never showed (if I inform the venue)? Thanks!

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Qaz Kwaz posted:

About hosted bars--we said there'd be 101 drinkers, but only 90 showed. Should I expect to be reimbursed for the 11 that we paid for that never showed (if I inform the venue)? Thanks!

No. The bar would have planned for 101 people and possibly bought extra beer, booked more staff, etc. Check your contract, but most state no refunds if your party doesn't show.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Qaz Kwaz posted:

Generally, I wouldn't think so.

Carnival Rider
Apr 23, 2006

Are there any good sites that give examples of wedding and/or ring vows?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Quick question. Has anyone had a bad experience with David's Bridal? I was looking at some nice dresses on their site, but my sister ranted about how terribly the store treated her. I don't want to do business somewhere that's at all iffy.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I had a great experience. I really think it comes down to the sales rep you have. Ask around and see if anyone you know had a great time, and find out who they saw (it will be on their receipt if they've forgotten the person's name).

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I've had a mixed experience with David's. I'm the maid of honor for my older sister's wedding next April, and the first trip there was really disappointing. However, my latest experience was a whole lot better. I guess it all depends on when you go and who you have as a consultant.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I recently went to David's Bridal with a friend and it was awful. Our rep first tried to lecture us on what dress shapes were. She then dumped a bunch of dresses on us, and disappeared for 20 minutes only to reappear to glare at us for a while. She didn't even help us get the dresses on or off the hangers. At one point we had to ask someone else's rep to help us, who thankfully was very nice.

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
I got my dress at David's Bridal and had a wonderful experience with it. I had a super awesome rep who helped me in and out of all my dresses and was supportive and honest about what she thought about each one on me with out being at all rude about it. It may have helped that my rep was an older woman probably in her mid 40's...?

My MOH went there as well to try and find a dress and her experience was pretty crappy. The rep dumped a bunch of dresses on her, only came by to help her occasionally and when my friend couldn't find anything she liked the rep pretty much just shrugged and told her to look at another store because "you have an oddly shaped body, I don't know what to do for you".

So I'm agreeing with everyone else here so far: totally depends on the rep you get.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
My experiences at David's have all been just fine, no complaints. My only suggestion would be to find your veil and undergarments elsewhere (David's seems overpriced for that stuff).

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled
My girlfriend hates David's Bridal. She has gone there for bridesmaids dresses a few times and they have hosed it up every time. Once they completely lost her measurements and she had to drive an hour each way to go do it again, then while she was there, they gave her poo poo about it like it was her fault. Amazing.

Also, WTF is up with Kohl's having buy one get one free engagement rings? It seems like a pretty ill-conceived promotion. What else are you supposed to do with a second engagement ring other than ebay it immediately? "Well, if this marriage doesn't work out, at least I'll have another engagement ring ready to go!"

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
That is pretty funny. I think it was supposed to be "Buy an engagement ring and get a free wedding band." Looks like one of the copywriters messed up.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

I refuse to go into David's bridal again.

The first time I went the woman at the front was rude to me about my dress size. She asked what size I was and when I said 2-4 she told me that there was no way I would fit into a 4 at their store and insisted on having me get 6's and 8's. These were all comically large on me, to the point where there is no way someone could have looked at me and thought those dresses would ever fit me. The only dresses that wound up fitting were 0's.

The woman who was actually supposed to be helping me try things on didn't pay any attention to anything I wanted and kept bringing me dresses that were nothing like what I was asking for. Not surprisingly I did not find anything I liked. She also insulted me about the size of my breasts and told me I would just have to wear a pushup bra for the wedding, whether I wanted to or not (I was specifically asking for dresses that would work with my smaller breasts).

The second time I stopped by a different David's bridal with my mother and aunt and asked if we could look at dresses. They told us that they did not have any appointments available until several hours later and that we would not be allowed to look at anything unless we had an appointment time. Even after we explained that this was the only day I had in town with them to look at dresses and that we would be fine with just looking at dresses now and coming back for a later appointment to try them if we actually found things we liked. This might even have made some sense to me but the store was nearly empty and the parking lot only had three cars in it.

I wound up getting a dress made. That I can wear with a normal bra or even bra-less if I want. gently caress David's Bridal.

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand
I went to David's once. I stopped in an told them that I wanted a tea length wedding dress, and they told me that at 5 foot 3 inches I was too short to be able to wear a tea length dress.

My consultant refused to let me try on a short dress and kept bringing me long dresses.

Thankfully I found my tea length PERFECT dress at a little bridal shop by my house.

Joellypie
Mar 13, 2006
My family has had mixed experience. When my little sister was getting married my mom took her and wanted to see the $99 dresses. The consultants were very rude about her not having an appointment and told her she had to look through a book to pick out dresses for her to try on. My mom didn't want to do that because she didn't want my sister to fall in love with a dress she couldn't afford. Then she told my mom to stop pawing through the dresses.

When I went in to a different David's Bridal in the city, it was a busy Saturday and we didn't have an appointment but they found a way to fit me in with in 30 minutes, and even let my mom pull my dresses (the consultant did as well). All in all it was a great experience and my consultant was nothing but helpful. I ended up buying that day after 3 hours of trying on dresses and at no point did she get irritated with us.

I go on Monday with my bridesmaids to try on dresses for them at the store my mom and sister had issues on so we will see how that goes!

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
My experience was kind of 50-50.

They didn't help me get into any of the dresses (which is fine for me, because I'm a "I CAN DO IT BY MYSELF" type of girl), but they let me pick the ones to try on, and I finally settled on a dress that I LOVED.

And then the alterations lady came... oh jesus. This lady was AWFUL. She was German or something, so she sounded scary, and she kept bitching that the dress was "COMPLETELY the wrong size!" She kept saying we'd have to order it in another size, despite the 5 times she was told by myself and the consultant that it was off the $99 rack, and could not be ordered. She was really gruff about everything, and seemed pissed off at me that I would need *GASP!* FOUR WHOLE pretty loving normal things done. It's not like the dress had any lace, or beading or anything that would have made it hard, either.

Bought the dress, took it to a seamstress who had worked on a floorlength dress for a military ball for me before. I'm 5'2", and she's even shorter than I am, so she was totally fine with all the short-people alterations that needed to be done. I seriously just needed the straps to be taken in a little, a hemming, and for the waist to be taken in like two inches. And some bustle stuff added. Two of those alterations are pretty much standard for wedding dresses. The other two are really common for short people like me. David's Bridal's seamstress was a biiiitch.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ooh. Your stories sound a little too intimidating to me, and based on my sister's bad experiences, I think I may shop elsewhere...

That being said, how soon is too soon to send out a "save the date?" We've settled on June 30th, 2012. Next week? Six months in advance? Four months in advance?

Some of our family members will have to fly in, so getting a formal invitations out at least three-four months in advance is something we're aiming for, but we'd also like to get a little advance notice out, too...

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

my cat is norris posted:

Ooh. Your stories sound a little too intimidating to me, and based on my sister's bad experiences, I think I may shop elsewhere...

That being said, how soon is too soon to send out a "save the date?" We've settled on June 30th, 2012. Next week? Six months in advance? Four months in advance?

Some of our family members will have to fly in, so getting a formal invitations out at least three-four months in advance is something we're aiming for, but we'd also like to get a little advance notice out, too...

Our wedding is January 7th and we're getting ready to send out our save the dates. So far one friend has already bought his tickets to South Africa and won't get back until Jan 11th. That was kind of a fluke, but I'm trying to get them out ASAP now. I'd say don't wait longer than 6 months if you can avoid it.

Oh, and I had a fantastic (fantastic!) experience with David's Bridal- so far. The woman was able to figure out what I wanted and found a dress that fit me perfectly, and she gave me tons of time to try things on. She worked with me to find shoes that were the height I'll buy, so the dress would fit without needing alterations. And my dress was really cheap, which is a pro for me, as I'm very poor.

I'm currently deciding if I want to use a photographer my fiance's dad knows (lightchaserphotography.com), or go with someone else. I think his photos all look too posed and bland, but he only wants $500 since we asked for raw photos with no postprocessing.

Our only other real option is ThePros, but that would be $1000.

I found this site: https://www.pier23photography.com and I love it! However, I'm certain that it's going to be way out of our price range, but for now I can hope.

Joellypie
Mar 13, 2006

dopaMEAN posted:

I'm currently deciding if I want to use a photographer my fiance's dad knows (lightchaserphotography.com), or go with someone else. I think his photos all look too posed and bland, but he only wants $500 since we asked for raw photos with no postprocessing.

I found this site: https://www.pier23photography.com and I love it! However, I'm certain that it's going to be way out of our price range, but for now I can hope.

When I first started planning my wedding everyone told me do not settle on your photographer. In my head I said don't settle because of price, but I did anyways. I found a woman that would do it for $900 and put down a $300 deposit. Her pictures were ok, boring, posed, over processed. Now 4 months later I found one that I absolutely adore, but double the price. I moved some money around on some other things and made it work. I'm out $300 but I don't think I'm going to regret spending the extra money on a photographer.

I guess what I'm saying is to really think about it, and not to settle if there is any way you can move some money around from other things.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.

Joellypie posted:

I guess what I'm saying is to really think about it, and not to settle if there is any way you can move some money around from other things.

Agreed 100%. Pictures are the only direct visual link to your wedding day. Of course price will figure in (or I'm sure we'd all have $10k professionals and huge albums) but don't settle on a photographer simply because they're cheap and do "good enough" work. Looking back at my wedding, I am completely happy with our pictures and our photographer, but had I not been, it's very obvious where money could have shifted in our budget to help me find a potentially better photographer.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

dopaMEAN posted:

I definitely agree about not settling on the photography. It was one of the most important things to me, but even if it's not your passion, you don't want to get stuck with crappy wedding photos. I've seen that happen to way too many people and it always makes me sad.

For any photographer you talk to, ask to see an entire shoot from just one wedding. The pier23 photog looks pretty good on the surface, but two things bother me: one, the false coloring in a lot of pictures. This can just be client preference or it can be used to cover up a bad shot. I don't think that's an issue with this particular photog actually, but it's a good thing to keep in mind, especially if you find one with an gallery that's 80% black and white pics. Second, the photog only shows a slideshow of the greatest hits (and most of them are outside). You want to see an entire gallery from just one wedding (and hopefully one that's somewhat similar to yours) so that you know that the photog isn't just good at this one outdoor posed shot, but is also good at capturing the ceremony, the dark indoor reception, the family shots, the macro ring shots etc. Never settle for the greatest hits because the other 95% of the pics could be crap for all you know.

I definitely wouldn't go with the light chaser guy, his website rubs me the wrong way. Also, either I missed it or he didn't have ANY wedding pics posted. Being a good landscape photographer != a good wedding photographer.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Kiri koli posted:

I definitely agree about not settling on the photography. It was one of the most important things to me, but even if it's not your passion, you don't want to get stuck with crappy wedding photos. I've seen that happen to way too many people and it always makes me sad.

For any photographer you talk to, ask to see an entire shoot from just one wedding. The pier23 photog looks pretty good on the surface, but two things bother me: one, the false coloring in a lot of pictures. This can just be client preference or it can be used to cover up a bad shot. I don't think that's an issue with this particular photog actually, but it's a good thing to keep in mind, especially if you find one with an gallery that's 80% black and white pics. Second, the photog only shows a slideshow of the greatest hits (and most of them are outside). You want to see an entire gallery from just one wedding (and hopefully one that's somewhat similar to yours) so that you know that the photog isn't just good at this one outdoor posed shot, but is also good at capturing the ceremony, the dark indoor reception, the family shots, the macro ring shots etc. Never settle for the greatest hits because the other 95% of the pics could be crap for all you know.

I definitely wouldn't go with the light chaser guy, his website rubs me the wrong way. Also, either I missed it or he didn't have ANY wedding pics posted. Being a good landscape photographer != a good wedding photographer.

Thanks, that's really good advice. The Lightchaser guy knocked $300 off the price when I said I didn't care about post processing and would take the raw shots. I was thinking that if the pier guy is close to my price range I might ask for that...

He has a couple of wedding shots- like pictures of a bride and groom- under "Peoplescapes". They all look so washed out, and the people look tired.

I don't know why I care so much- I've never photographed well in my life and I'm barely competent with a camera. But I grew up following around my brother, who was a talented photographer, and he always made me think about photo composition and stuff. So now when I see bad photography it bugs me, even if I don't understand it.

Also, we're serving BBQ and trying to create a fun atmosphere. I don't want a bunch of stuffy posed shots. I want something fun and organic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
Personally I don't think any photographer worth their salt is going to want to give you the RAW files without post-processing. That's half the job, and a big part of what makes each photographer's work really stand out from another. Since such a huge portion of their business comes from word of mouth and other people seeing those photos, they're not going to want to hand off an unfinished product.