Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

8½ was my first Fellini as well and I was kind of lukewarm towards it. It was a strong movie, but I didn't quite connect to it. However, I really enjoyed La Strada, particularly the power of the ending, and I'd be more willing to rewatch that than 8½. I also watched half of La Dolce Vita and I'm having trouble forcing myself to go finish it. It's not bad, but I'm not really that into it.

I think I just don't quite understand Fellini. But I'm going to go with Frank Zappa's old mantra "If it sounds good to you, it's bitchin'. If it sounds bad to you, it's lovely." Still, I'm always willing to go back in a few years and see if anything clicks better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
After a long long wait, I'm finally watching Lawrence of Arabia. GOOD GOD THIS IS A LONG MOVIE. It has some pretty incredible moments, but I just thought it was over, and then a big ol' "INTERMISSION" showed up on the screen. Going to grab some food, and come back in a while to post my updated list and all that.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
I wouldn't call The Incredibles a libertarian movie. Some people see themes of "Objectivism" in the idea of supermen being held down by jealous average people. The problem with that, though, is that when they finally retake their roles as superheroes, they only use their powers to help others, while a true Randian "hero" would say "screw them, they can deal with their own problems." Well, watch it for yourself and tell me what you think.

Well, I was bound to be disappointed sooner or later. I gave it a chance, but Duck Soup just bored me. The paper-thin story was obviously just there to hang disconnected scenes on, but then the same could be said of most Monty Python movies, and I like those. I'll admit that Groucho had some pretty good one-liners, and I liked most of the musical numbers, but very little kept my attention. The physical comedy with Chico and Harpo was mostly just tedious- they kept taunting the lemonade vendor to the point where they should have been arrested, and I just found myself hoping to get to the next scene. Similarly, the mirror scene is supposedly famous, but it just seemed stupid to me- I found myself screaming "just touch it!" I get the idea of starting with a reasonable premise and exaggerating it to ridiculous levels, but I couldn't figure out whether these characters were supposed to be stupid or just random. And why was Teasdale so in love with Firefly when he was constantly insulting her? And why was Chico still working for Firefly after he was arrested as a spy? And why did they trust this guy to run the country when he showed no signs of competence whatsoever? It would have made more sense if Firefly was a hereditary ruler, or if there was some better explanation of how he came to power, especially if they were going for satire, so it would better related to the real world. I know I'm not supposed to be asking questions about plot logic in a madcap comedy, but that's the point- since the individual scenes aren't engaging, I find all these nagging questions popping up in my head. Monty Python or Mel Brooks can make movies just as illogical, but they're funny enough that I'm distracted from asking questions. And I didn't see any deep anti-war message. Maybe that's a case of simply being dated, but if the entire message is "people who run countries can be pretty stupid," then I say tell me something I don't know. I did laugh pretty hard at the end, where they call for help and swimmers, elephants, and dolphins all start showing up, but overall the movie just didn't do it for me.

Rating: 2/4

2. Goodfellas - Just never came up. I know Joe Pesci yells about not being funny for a while, and I remember the Animaniacs parodies, but that's really all I know. But I liked Gangs of New York and Raging Bull [edit: and now Taxi Driver], so I have confidence in Scorsese.

4. Blade Runner - Now this is really shameful. I'm a big sci-fi fan, and I like Harrison Ford, so it's bad already. But what really makes it inexcusable is that I bought it a couple years ago, and it's still sitting on the shelf in shrink wrap.

5. 2001: A Space Odyssey - More sci-fi that everyone but me has seen. I think my dad has a copy, so that would make it easier. I think I already know most of the plot, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it. If I'm given this one, I promise to try my best not to make too many Portal jokes.

6. Rashomon - Anything by Kurosawa, for that matter. Seems to me like you have to go out of your way to see foreign films. I don't know anyone who owns these, and no one's ever personally suggested one to me. I like Japanese culture and history (I once wrote a whole story set in 16th century Japan), so I feel I should see some of these, and not just more anime.

7. Pulp Fiction - For that matter, anything by Tarantino except for Inglourious Basterds. Pulp Fiction, however, is that only one I've gotten the "you've never seen?" treatment over. I know Jackson quotes the Bible and Walken shoves a watch up his rear end, and there's a suitcase full of macguffins that they're fighting over, but I'm most interested in this because of the clever dialogue that Tarantino writes. Both this and Reservoir Dogs are on my instant queue, so just say the word.

8. Chinatown - I didn't realize this was a must-see, but so many people upthread have included it that I figure I must be missing something. I really like Rosemary's Baby, and I'm willing to overlook the fact that the director is a rapist and judge the film on its own merits (of course, by the same token, his personal behavior should be judged on its own merits and not because of what films he's made, but that's a whole other conversation).

9. The Aviator - More from that Scorsese clown. This one isn't as much a must see as some of the others, but it's added shame because it's another one that I own but haven't seen (there's probably another five movies like that, but most of them are more obscure). I bought it for three bucks about four years ago when a local video store went out of business and I've never taken it out of the box.

12. Superman - Not that shameful, but I've seen most of the major superhero movies, and this one's supposed to be the gold standard. I'd probably enjoy it except for Superman reversing time. :bang:

14. Apocalypse Now- Guy goes up a river, sees weird poo poo, the horror, goes back down the river, man is evil. Well, that's how my brother summed up Heart of Darkness, which I tried to read in high school and got to about page three. But I know this is a fairly loose adaptation and is supposed to be great, and Martin Sheen is awesome, so I'd be cool with this.

15. Barton Fink- I like the Coens. I've seen Fargo, Lebowski, and No Country, and liked them all, though I'm not crazy for Lebowski like a lot of people are. This one is about writers in Hollywood, I think? It's a black comedy? It sounds like something I'd like.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 17, 2011

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

Finished Lawrence of Arabia, which I was assigned ages ago. I'm going to have to chalk it up to not being a genre I'm terribly fond of, because I had problems getting into this movie at all. I could see that it was a great film, but (and forgive me if this sounds like a bad reason) the lack of comedy kept me from enjoying the full length of it. (For example, Gone With the Wind is a million hours long, but it has parts where it's funny as hell, and everyone's just so god damned passionate! I can watch that straight through no problem.) But I will say it had an amazing score, Peter O'Toole was incredible, and it had some really really good individual lines. It just wasn't something I could get into. But it's also possible that I just wasn't in the right kind of mood, so I'll probably watch it again sometime.

I also watched The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly. I loved the hell out of this movie. I'm not really sure what else to say about it. I don't usually jump at the chance to watch westerns, but I would happily watch this again and again. It was just so... cool. And somehow the score is way better when it's part of the movie than when it's by itself.

1. The Good The Bad and the Ugly Once Upon a Time in the West My dad told me about this the other day, and like GBAU, my husband has been wanting me to see it. Seems like a fitting replacement.

2. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Been meaning to watch it, but haven't gotten around to it.

3. The Godfather See 2

4. Citizen Kane See 2

5. Lawrence of Arabia Gandhi Heard it's really good.

6. Taxi Driver See 2

7. Rosemary's Baby I've been getting more into older horror films, and I feel like I'd like it

8. Breakfast at Tiffany's My dad's been wanting me to watch this ever since I read the book in 2005.

9. The Bridge on the River Kwai I was trying to figure out something to fill this slot, and my dad mentioned it as his favorite war movie. It's hard for me to get into that genre, so I figure I just need to see more that I like.

10. The Graduate Didn't even know what this was until a year or so ago, and I was interested.

Watched so far: The Deer Hunter, Lawrence of Arabia, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Jurgan: Watch Pulp Fiction

uberwekkness fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 17, 2011

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Wekkness, you’ve got a lot of good movies on your list. I think The Graduate is overrated, but Rosemary’s Baby and Cuckoo’s Nest are great (though I’ve only seen the latter on stage, not the film). However, I’m gonna have to go with Taxi Driver. I just saw it myself three rounds back, and it’s a masterpiece.

Was Pulp Fiction really 2.5 hours long? This sucker flew by. I always like stories that are structured as several smaller, loosely connected stories. Bruce Willis’s story was probably my favorite (I didn’t know he was in this movie, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a movie I didn’t like him in). And when Samuel L. Jackson and Ving Rhames had a conversation, I thought the movie would explode from black badassness. There were a lot of downright hilarious moments- my favorite might have been when Willis goes through all the trouble to get his watch back, succeeds against all odds, only to accidentally run across Rhames. The other highlight was Jackson’s character arc- I did not expect the movie to end with him turning into the Bishop of Digne. Terrific movie.
Rating: 4/4

2. Goodfellas - Just never came up. I know Joe Pesci yells about not being funny for a while, and I remember the Animaniacs parodies, but that's really all I know. But I liked Gangs of New York and Raging Bull [edit: and now Taxi Driver], so I have confidence in Scorsese.

4. Blade Runner - Now this is really shameful. I'm a big sci-fi fan, and I like Harrison Ford, so it's bad already. But what really makes it inexcusable is that I bought it a couple years ago, and it's still sitting on the shelf in shrink wrap.

5. 2001: A Space Odyssey - More sci-fi that everyone but me has seen. I think my dad has a copy, so that would make it easier. I think I already know most of the plot, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it. If I'm given this one, I promise to try my best not to make too many Portal jokes.

6. Rashomon - Anything by Kurosawa, for that matter. Seems to me like you have to go out of your way to see foreign films. I don't know anyone who owns these, and no one's ever personally suggested one to me. I like Japanese culture and history (I once wrote a whole story set in 16th century Japan), so I feel I should see some of these, and not just more anime.

8. Chinatown - I didn't realize this was a must-see, but so many people upthread have included it that I figure I must be missing something. I really like Rosemary's Baby, and I'm willing to overlook the fact that the director is a rapist and judge the film on its own merits (of course, by the same token, his personal behavior should be judged on its own merits and not because of what films he's made, but that's a whole other conversation).

9. The Aviator - More from that Scorsese clown. This one isn't as much a must see as some of the others, but it's added shame because it's another one that I own but haven't seen (there's probably another five movies like that, but most of them are more obscure). I bought it for three bucks about four years ago when a local video store went out of business and I've never taken it out of the box.

12. Superman - Not that shameful, but I've seen most of the major superhero movies, and this one's supposed to be the gold standard. I'd probably enjoy it except for Superman reversing time. :bang:

14. Apocalypse Now- Guy goes up a river, sees weird poo poo, the horror, goes back down the river, man is evil. Well, that's how my brother summed up Heart of Darkness, which I tried to read in high school and got to about page three. But I know this is a fairly loose adaptation and is supposed to be great, and Martin Sheen is awesome, so I'd be cool with this.

15. Barton Fink- I like the Coens. I've seen Fargo, Lebowski, and No Country, and liked them all, though I'm not crazy for Lebowski like a lot of people are. This one is about writers in Hollywood, I think? It's a black comedy? It sounds like something I'd like.

16. Schindler's List- Of course, I know what this is about, but I know very few details. My wife has seen it and said she'd watch it with me. Since she usually doesn't like serious movies, this is a strong recommendation indeed.

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 19, 2011

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

Glad you liked it. And yeah Ving Rhames' delivery of the line "motherfucker..." has to be my favorite delivery of that word ever.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Jurgan, Barton Fink is great (also don't forget to take Pulp Fiction off your list).

It's tough to talk about Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom. It's obvious that Pasolini was trying to push the boundaries of any sort of bad taste, but it seems that that is all he was trying to do. The only time it manages to reach something more is in the final few minutes, during the final torture scenes. We see the torture through binoculars, and there is no audio. It is an effective way to distance us and make us voyeurs on the scene. 1.5/5

I also watched Syndromes and a Century, which I enjoyed far more than Tropical Malady. The narrative is light, and oddly doubles back on itself, but the emotions evoked by these conversations are strong. I'm still thinking about the final few minutes and what they meant. 4/5

Shadows
More Cassavetes..
Andrei Rublev
On the most lists and next on TSPDT. I know nothing about this other than that it is Tarkovsky and long.
Safe
Other Todd Haynes/Julianne Moore movie. This one sounds much better.
71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance
Haneke noooooo. Recommended to me earlier in this thread.
Umberto D.
No reason
Smiles of a Summer Night
Some more Bergman.
Tout Va Bien
I like Godard.
Picnic at Hanging Rock
I remember hearing this was a good Australian film.
Naked
Don't know much about it.
Next on TSPDT's 21st Century list. I saw In the Mood for Love so long ago that I can barely remember it. I'm assuming it's not necessary viewing for this?

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
e: :(

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 19, 2011

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Factor Mystic posted:

I finally just watched Dark City (director's cut) after seeing it repeatedly mentioned in this subforum. Going in I had no idea what it was except that I thought it was some sort of modern take on noir with a detective or something.

Wow. WOW. WOW. It is definitely a GREAT movie. I will say a few things- firstly that I just had to choke down the 'underground' scenes with all the strangers. That was pretty (annoyingly) campy. But I loved the style, what with miniatures and everything (I assume). Gave it a real classic feel, like it might have come out about two decades before it did. I'll also say that I did suspect where the city might actually be, but only after it was explicitly mentioned about it being always night. Dark city, literally, and I still had to have it told to me. Oh well. Still, great. And lots of open questions afterward. What's the source? A book? Can I read it?

Also, it came out just before The Matrix, lol.

Now, to continue the thread, I don't have a huge list but I still have not seen Scorpico D:

A. You must pick a movie for the previous poster.
B. You need to include a list of movies.
C. Scorpico?

Budhisattva
May 22, 2005

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Smiles of a Summer Night
Some more Bergman.

You got it.

I guess I just wasn't all that into All That Jazz. The musical segments didn't grab me and I only felt interested by Roy Schneider's self-destructive character. Because there was no appreciation for the musical aspect of the film, I missed some of the connection Fosse was trying to make. It didn't help that I had to split it into three viewings, but I'm still giving it a relatively low score for now.

Updated list:

La Dolce Vita Cautiously adding this to my list after viewing 8½ - not that I didn't like it, but I wasn't blown away, either

The Maltese Falcon About time

Dial M for Murder Though I've seen some Hitchcock, there's plenty more to go

The Leopard Going into this movie practically blind, hope it's worth it

Hud Filling a hole in the western genre

The Exterminating Angel Haven't seen any Bunuel in a while

Alphaville Godard's take on dystopic sci-fi

Prince of the City Epic-length crime film, and the second-to-last in my Lumet queue

Bugsy Another gangster movie with Morricone soundtrack

Watched:

Once Upon a Time in America 8.5/10 , The Sting 7.5/10 , MASH 7.5/10 , Ran 9/10 , The Big Sleep 9/10 , Army of Shadows 9.5/10 , On the Waterfront 9/10 , Fantastic Planet 8.5/10 , Annie Hall 9.5/10 , Barton Fink 9/10 , The 400 Blows 9/10 , La Grande Illusion 9.5/10 , Gandhi 8.5/10 , The Hill 8.5/10 , Manhattan 9/10 , The Host 8/10 , The Bicycle Thief 9/10 , The Asphalt Jungle 9/10 , The Insider 9/10 , Bringing Out the Dead 8/10 , 8.5/10 , The Abyss 8.5/10 , The Thin Blue Line 8.5/10 , Touch of Evil 8/10 , Glengarry Glen Ross 9/10 , The Wages of Fear 9.5/10 , Paris, Texas 8/10 , The Conversation 8/10 , Reds 8.5/10 , Fargo 9/10 , Pierrot Le Fou 7.5/10 , Blood Simple 8/10 , The Killing 8.5/10 , Inside Job 8.5/10 , Harakiri 9.5/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , High and Low 9/10 , Yojimbo 9.5/10 , The White Ribbon 7.5/10 , The French Connection 9/10 , Ace in the Hole 8.5/10 , Sanjuro 8.5/10 , All That Jazz 7/10

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Budhisattva posted:

The Maltese Falcon About time

John Huston is God. Although this isn't my favorite movie of his, it really does set the standard for noir films. Also fun to watch for all of the sublet homosexual undertones of Peter Lorre's character.

I disappeared for a while, but I did see most of the films on my list that time period. So I updated my list.

1. Dawn of the Dead The original and supposed classic. I am not a horror fan, so I kind of avoid them like the plague.

2. The Last Picture Show What is the movie and why is it on every list?

3. Spartacus blah, blah, blah, krubik, blah, blah, blah

4. Fanny and Alexander I love me some Bergman, but haven’t seen this one yet.

5. The Great Escape Something about this movie just turns me off and I don't know what.

6. Diabolique Heard the name tossed around but I don’t know anything about it.

7. The Bridge on the River Kwai Another one that is on all the lists that I just don't care about.

8. Tout Va Bien Goddard is hit or miss with me. I always want to watch it but chicken out.

9. Mad Max I don't know what order the Mad Max movies go in, but I haven't seen any of them.

10. Kramer vs Kramer As a child of divorce, how exciting can this film be?

Watched: Mad Max(5/10), The Conversation(8/10), Tombstone(4/10)

York_M_Chan fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 19, 2011

jonnykungfu
Nov 26, 2007
Diabolique is the only great film there that I've seen, so go for it.

My list:

Tokyo Story - Never finished and Ozu film. Have tried many times to watch this (and other Ozu's) but it always bores the piss out of me.

When a Woman Ascends the Stairs - Never seen a Naruse film. If this isn't the best place to start, give me a better option.

A Man Escaped - Saw Au Hasard Balthazar and hated it. Have avoided Bresson since.

The Bad Sleep Well - Watched the first hour and fell asleep. I loved what I saw but I'm having to push myself to go back to it. Do that for me.

Brand Upon the Brain!! - Love Guy Maddin, but somehow have never watched this even though I have a copy.

Elevator to the Gallows - I have yet to see a Louis Malle film (watched part of Atlantic City and turned it off, bored)

Fanny and Alexander - The length scares me off, though I know I'll love it.

The Saragossa Manuscript - Sounds awesome, but dense as hell, so I've been putting it off.

Ulysses' Gaze - I've heard Angelopoulos is great.

Die Nibelungen - 5 hour Fritz Lang fantasy silent? Sounds awesome.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
jonnykungfu, you should watch the rest of The Bad Sleep Well. I haven't seen it, but half-watched movies are always annoying.

Watched McCabe & Mrs. Miller a couple of days ago, and it was really neat. It felt like a very intimate production, both in terms of characterization and camera work, which gave it a very realistic feel. Plot-wise it was a very non-formulaic western, which was nice and refreshing. I especially liked the little off-center dialog that occurred in most scenes ("What do you think if I cut my beard off, kept my mustache?" "Why would you want to do that?").
Also, this man is wearing a fuzzy hat, how was that even a thing in the 1900's :psyduck:

I also caught Persona on tv, with an adorable intro with a very old and grumpy Bergman talking about how he disliked how everyone keeps trying to dissect the movie and read things into it that aren't there. I don't know if that opinion is justified as it's clearly a movie that requires some thinking. I didn't feel it was a difficult movie, though, it felt like everything that happened had an understandable cause. I can't remember who, but someone said that Persona feels like an unpretentious pretentious movie, which is spot-on. Besides, it's so loving pretty to look at.

1. Trafic - I've seen Mr Hulot's Holiday and Playtime, but never this. My grandma's a big fan of Tati, so I really should.

2. Casablanca - I'm sort of afraid of watching this movie, what if it doesn't live up to the hype :ohdear:

3. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - The BBC miniseries from 1979. With the remake coming out soon, I thought I'd give the original a go. I got stuck on the first episode, though, so I could use some incentive.

4. City of God - Don't know why I haven't already, the premise sounds interesting and I've heard only good things about it.

5. The Departed - I caught a few minutes of this on tv and it just didn't seem like my cup of tea. The only Scorsese I've seen is Taxi Driver and Goodfellas.

6. Predator - It just feels like I should have seen this, I love 80's action.

7. Punch Drunk Love - This and Hard Eight are the only P T Anderson movies I haven't seen.

8. Modern Times - I loved The Great Dictator, so I don't know why I haven't seen more of Chaplin's full-length movies. Feel free to recommend City Lights if you think it's better.

9. Easy Rider - This just seems like such a cool movie.

10. A Streetcar Named Desire - I started watching this once, but halfway through I managed to slice my palm open with a fruit knife and had to leave to get stitches. Now I just associate it with bad memories.

Have seen: Chinatown, North By Northwest, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Persona

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Man Admiral Goodenough, you have some amazing movies on that list so it's hard to choose. I'll go with Easy Rider.

The Apartment - Oh God this movie is fantastic. Jack Lemmon is so amazing, words can hardly describe him. His character is funny but not goofy, wise but flawed, and just such a delight to watch. The story is so unique and interesting. The writing is intelligent, clever, witty, dramatic... perfect. MacMurray and MacLaine are both perfectly cast and the ending is satisfying without being cliched or predictable. Wilder's direction is assured and deliberate. It doesn't get much better than this, movie-wise. 96/100

New list:

Cinema Paradiso - I know very little about this.

On the Waterfront - I like Marlon Brando, so I have no hesitation to see this.

Witness for the Prosecution - I know nothing about this one.

The Grapes of Wrath - Sounds great. It's just never been on my radar.

The Kid - More Chaplin I need to see.

Ben-Hur - I'll be honest, I'm not looking forward to this one very much. Looks a tad hokey from the little I've seen, and it's very long.

The Wages of Fear - Clouzot impressed the hell out of me with Diabolique. Let's see if he can top himself.

The Secret in their eyes - Mark this one as another I have absolutely no clue about.

The Big Sleep - Bogart, Bacall and Hawks? Count me in.

Life of Brian - This is one of those I've heard about for as long as I can remember. It's truly shameful I haven't seen it.

Watched (scores out of 100):
12 Angry Men(96) All About Eve(85) Spirited Away(85) Once Upon a Time in the West(95) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington(85) The Bridge on the River Kwai(94) Touch of Evil(89) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(93) Princess Mononoke(72) Life is Beautiful(91) Ran(92) Das Boot(92) Downfall(70) It Happened One Night(77) Cool Hand Luke(90) The Great Dictator(82) Grave of the Fireflies(67) Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans(84) The Apartment(96)

jonnykungfu
Nov 26, 2007
Caiman, watch The Wages of Fear as it is absolutely fantastic.

Watched The Bad Sleep Well.

My Criticker review:

Solid noir about corporate corruption from Kurosawa. Very dark and tense atmosphere, and beautiful black-and-white photography. This is not one of Kurosawa's very best, but it definitely deserves to be seen. 85/100

My list:

Tokyo Story - Never finished and Ozu film. Have tried many times to watch this (and other Ozu's) but it always bores the piss out of me.

When a Woman Ascends the Stairs - Never seen a Naruse film. If this isn't the best place to start, give me a better option.

A Man Escaped - Saw Au Hasard Balthazar and hated it. Have avoided Bresson since.

Brand Upon the Brain!! - Love Guy Maddin, but somehow have never watched this even though I have a copy.

Elevator to the Gallows - I have yet to see a Louis Malle film (watched part of Atlantic City and turned it off, bored)

The Saragossa Manuscript - Sounds awesome, but dense as hell, so I've been putting it off.

Day of Wrath - I loved The Passion of Joan of Arc but couldn't get into Ordet, so I've kinda given up on Dreyer.

Watched: The Bad Sleep Well: 85/100.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

jonnykungfu posted:

Well the movie is broken into two parts, so you don't need to watch all the 5 hours in one go.

Ikiru was quite something. Not my favorite Kurosawa, as I found some parts of it quite distracting, but a beautiful movie nonetheless. I already knew THE scene, but there is a lot more to Ikiru than just that scene. I actually found two other moments more poignant the first time that Watanabe sings the song and when one of the City Hall Clerks at the end of the movie is "defeated" and gets hidden behind the paperwork. Eitherway it was a terrific piece of film, I guess maybe a bit over sentimentalist, but I think it's what makes it work in the end and keeps you watching.

My Shame List:

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three The original one.

Red Beard The last movie Kurosawa did with Mifune.

Cape Fear I did not care much for the Scorsese remake. Hoping this will be better.

Suspicion Last Cary Grant-Hitchcock collaboration.(Actually the first)

Through a Glass Darkly The first of the Chamber Trilogy.(Or whatever you call it)

Brief Encounter Pre-Epic Lean.

Barry Lyndon Only Kubrik left for me to watch.

Cross of Iron Down with the cowboy hat up with the soldiers helmet.

The Name of the Rose Sean Connery, Monk Detective.

Lost in La Mancha The horrors of cursed film making.

Have seen so far 88 movies: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence, Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan, The Conversation, La Règle du Jeu, Serpico, Fantasia, Shane, Get Carter, Grizzly Man, Bonnie and Clyde, To Kill a Mockingbird, Stray Dog, This Film is Not Yet Rated, Gone with the Wind, Rebecca, Ikiru.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Electronico6 posted:

Brief Encounter Pre-Epic Lean.

I watched this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. So, yes, this.

Diabolique was good... on the edge of being great. I figured out the twist pretty early on, but I don't know if it was one of the first films to do something like that. I assume it was, and for that I can respect it. I was actually really upset with the ending, even though I saw it coming, but I didn't see the very last scene coming, which made the film go from good to great. Funny how a single line can do that.(7/10)

1. Dawn of the Dead The original and supposed classic. I am not a horror fan, so I kind of avoid them like the plague.

2. The Last Picture Show What is the movie and why is it on every list?

3. Spartacus blah, blah, blah, krubik, blah, blah, blah

4. Fanny and Alexander I love me some Bergman, but haven’t seen this one yet.

5. The Great Escape Something about this movie just turns me off and I don't know what.

6. Diabolique Heard the name tossed around but I don’t know anything about it.

7. The Bridge on the River Kwai Another one that is on all the lists that I just don't care about.

8. Tout Va Bien Goddard is hit or miss with me. I always want to watch it but chicken out.

9. Mad Max I don't know what order the Mad Max movies go in, but I haven't seen any of them.

10. Kramer vs Kramer As a child of divorce, how exciting can this film be?

Edit: I don't know if what I posted was giving away too much, so I put a spoiler on it.

Watched: Mad Max(5/10), The Conversation(8/10), Tombstone(4/10), Diabolique (7/10)

York_M_Chan fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 20, 2011

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:
Might as well do one of these because I just graduated college in May, moved back into my parents' house, and am effectively unemployed, so I'll have lots of movie-watching time.

1. Any Robert Altman film: Better start out with the most shameful. I'm from Kansas City and still haven't seen a single one of his films. Figured I'd start with either Nashville or Gosford Park, but I'm open to any suggestions.
2. Aguirre, the Wrath of God: Only Herzog I've seen is Bad Lieutenant: POC: NO and it's becoming too big of a blind spot to keep ignoring.
3. Shadows: I'd only recently heard of Cassavettes via this forum, where he was praised endlessly. Also I love Charles Mingus.
4. 12 Monkeys: Brazil is probably my favorite film, so I owe it to myself to watch more Gilliam. I even liked Tideland, so I'm pretty sure I can't dislike anything he directed.
5. Sunset Blvd.: I really like the idea of noir, but the ones I've seen haven't really grabbed me so far. Willing to give the genre one last chance with one of its best.
6. Rear Window or North by Northwest: I saw Psycho when I was a wee lad, but haven't ever been compelled to watch anything else by Hitchcock.
7. Persona: I don't like Bergman is for me, but I'm going to give him another shot.
8. A Woman is a Woman: Loved Breathless, need to find out if I'm a Godard person or a Truffaut person.
9. Jules and Jim: Same reason as #8, but replace Breathless with The 400 Blows.
10. Annie Hall: This one has been on my "must-see" list since I was a sophomore in high school. No idea why I've never gotten around to it.

York_M_Chan, watch The Last Picture Show. That's probably the next flick I'm putting on my own list, so I'd like to see what someone else thinks about it.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
drat, dreadnought, I want to recommend every movie on your list. I'll go with Shadows, the only one I haven't seen, since its been on my list forever.

Smiles of a Summer Night was a nice sex comedy from Bergman. The characters were great, and the acting was perfect. I especially liked the military officer. 4/5

Shadows
More Cassavetes..
Andrei Rublev
On the most lists and next on TSPDT. I know nothing about this other than that it is Tarkovsky and long.
Safe
Umberto D.
No reason
Tout Va Bien
I like Godard.
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Naked
Next on TSPDT's 21st Century list. I saw In the Mood for Love so long ago that I can barely remember it. I'm assuming it's not necessary viewing for this?
A Zed and Two Noughts
I heard some talk of this on the forums here. It sounds interesting.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

TenSpadesBeTrump, you too will get to watch Shadows!

I watched Easy Rider and it was every bit as cool as I hoped it would be. The intro with Steppenwolf's Born To Be Wild blasting as they sail down the highways was incredible. The whole soundtrack was incredible. And while it was nice when the plot started to pick up in the second half, I could have happily watched 90 minutes of just Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper riding sweet bikes through America. From a historical point of view, it was also cool to get a (biased, but still) look into the whole hippie/biker counterculture of the 60's.

1. Trafic - I've seen Mr Hulot's Holiday and Playtime, but never this. My grandma's a big fan of Tati, so I really should.

2. Casablanca - I'm sort of afraid of watching this movie, what if it doesn't live up to the hype :ohdear:

3. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - The BBC miniseries from 1979. With the remake coming out soon, I thought I'd give the original a go. I got stuck on the first episode, though, so I could use some incentive.

4. City of God - Don't know why I haven't already, the premise sounds interesting and I've heard only good things about it.

5. The Departed - I caught a few minutes of this on tv and it just didn't seem like my cup of tea. The only Scorsese I've seen is Taxi Driver, Goodfellas and Shutter Island.

7. Punch Drunk Love - This and Hard Eight are the only P T Anderson movies I haven't seen.

8. Modern Times - I loved The Great Dictator, so I don't know why I haven't seen more of Chaplin's full-length movies. Feel free to recommend City Lights if you think it's better.

9. Hoop Dreams - All I know is that it's a documentary about basketball? I know nothing about basketball.

10. A Streetcar Named Desire - I started watching this once, but halfway through I managed to slice my palm open with a fruit knife and had to leave to get stitches. Now I just associate it with bad memories.

Have seen: Chinatown, North By Northwest, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Persona, Easy Rider

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I've never seen any of the Godfather movies.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

eggsovereasy posted:

I've never seen any of the Godfather movies.

You may want to read the OP.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Casablanca is kind of a funny movie to me. I haven't actually managed to watch it myself yet but I've noticed that a certain kind of people always seem to list it as their favorite movie of all time, to where conversation some how winds up like...

Person 1: "Yes, my favorite movie is Casablanca."
Person 2: "Wow, you're so well-versed and learned!"

So, Admiral Goodenough, I declare for you to watch this movie and tell me if it really does live up to the hype!

As for my list, we'll start with these...

1. Citizen Kane - I've seen parts thanks to college and assorted cultural references but never the entire thing.
2. Casablanca - Same here.
3. The Godfather - Oh, the shame... I've actually never seen the trilogy as a whole, here. I'm not sure how that happened, given the year I spent dating someone obsessed with mob movies. She got me to watch Goodfellas at least.
4. 2001: A Space Odyssey - I've seen it called back to so many times that it FEELS like I've seen it, but I know I haven't actually...
5. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - My dad likes to call mom "Nurse Kratchet" when he's laid up and thinks he's saying it correctly, no matter how many times I correct him to "Ratched". It's probably about time I saw the movie referenced by that.
6. Doctor Zhivago - Mom named me after a character in this movie (Lara) and I have a music box that plays her theme, but I haven't actually seen the movie itself.
7. The Sound of Music - Man, I love me some musicals but I've still never seen this. So shameful.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

Watched Shadows earlier and really enjoyed it. I couldn't believe it was improvised, because the acting was quite good and authentic. As often as it's billed as a film about race relations, I think it's even more about sexual politics. Plus the restoration looked brilliant in HD, despite the audio issues (the fact that every outdoor scene was dubbed bothered me, but I understand why it was done like that).

1. Any Robert Altman film: Better start out with the most shameful. I'm from Kansas City and still haven't seen a single one of his films. Figured I'd start with either Nashville or Gosford Park, but I'm open to any suggestions.
2. Aguirre, the Wrath of God: Only Herzog I've seen is Bad Lieutenant: POC: NO and it's becoming too big of a blind spot to keep ignoring.
3. The Last Picture Show: I know nothing about this film, but I've been wanting to see it for a while. I think I just like the title a lot.
4. 12 Monkeys: Brazil is probably my favorite film, so I owe it to myself to watch more Gilliam. I even liked Tideland, so I'm pretty sure I can't dislike anything he directed.
5. Sunset Blvd.: I really like the idea of noir, but the ones I've seen haven't really grabbed me so far. Willing to give the genre one last chance with one of its best.
6. Rear Window or North by Northwest: I saw Psycho when I was a wee lad, but haven't ever been compelled to watch anything else by Hitchcock.
7. Persona: I don't think Bergman is for me, but I'm going to give him another shot.
8. A Woman is a Woman: Loved Breathless, need to find out if I'm a Godard person or a Truffaut person.
10. Annie Hall: This one has been on my "must-see" list since I was a sophomore in high school. No idea why I've never gotten around to it.

xeria, as much as I love 2001, you should watch Citizen Kane. Make sure you revisit it in a year or so. I didn't get all the hype the first time I saw it (probably because I was like 14), but saw it again a few years later and loved it.

jonnykungfu
Nov 26, 2007

dreadnought posted:

Herzog is awesome.

Watched Die Nibelungen.

My Criticker review:

Siegfried: While the fantasy plot is shallow, simple, and honestly quite stupid, the set design, cinematography, and editing tricks are stunning, especially for a film of its time. It also brings out some sort of childlike glee in me to watch this sort of dumb swords-and-sandals type of epic, no matter how stupid. 85/100

Kriemhild's Revenge: Missing the action, excitement, and drama of the first part, as well as the cool editing tricks and interesting set designs. Feels way too long and gets a bit boring at times. Still quite good and has some exciting moments. Probably should have been an hour shorter. 75/100

My list:

Day of Wrath - I loved The Passion of Joan of Arc but couldn't get into Ordet, so I've kinda given up on Dreyer.

Nostalghia - My last Tarkovsky feature to watch. For some reason, I am hesitant to start it, even though The Mirror is my all time favorite film.

Watched: The Bad Sleep Well: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Siegfried: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild's Revenge: 75/100.

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005
e: didn't read the op

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

jonnykungfu, check out Tokyo Story.

The Wages of Fear - It takes a little while for this movie to hit its groove, but once it does it's an intense, exciting experience. Nitroglycerin makes for a great plot device. There are some absolutely nail-biting scenes, enhanced by a great attention to detail. I begin to feel like I'm a part of the situation, telling the characters what to do and fearing for my life. "Use the dry sticks for traction! Yes! Now turn the wheel to the left!" Not too many movies immerse me as much as this one. Great stuff. 94/100

New list:

Cinema Paradiso - I know very little about this.

On the Waterfront - I like Marlon Brando, so I have no hesitation to see this.

Witness for the Prosecution - I know nothing about this one.

The Grapes of Wrath - Sounds great. It's just never been on my radar.

The Kid - More Chaplin I need to see.

Ben-Hur - I'll be honest, I'm not looking forward to this one very much. Looks a tad hokey from the little I've seen, and it's very long.

The Secret in their eyes - Mark this one as another I have absolutely no clue about.

The Big Sleep - Bogart, Bacall and Hawks? Count me in.

Life of Brian - This is one of those I've heard about for as long as I can remember. It's truly shameful I haven't seen it.

The Manchurian Candidate - I've seen the remake but not the original. For shame.

Watched (scores out of 100):
12 Angry Men(96) All About Eve(85) Spirited Away(85) Once Upon a Time in the West(95) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington(85) The Bridge on the River Kwai(94) Touch of Evil(89) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(93) Princess Mononoke(72) Life is Beautiful(91) Ran(92) Das Boot(92) Downfall(70) It Happened One Night(77) Cool Hand Luke(90) The Great Dictator(82) Grave of the Fireflies(67) Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans(84) The Apartment(96) The Wages of Fear(94)

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Caiman, sounds like you could use something a little less tense after Wages. Go watch Life of Brian :)

It was sort of weird watching Casablanca, knowing it's reputation. Personally, I felt it lived up to the hype. It's undeniably a very well-made movie, all around. The plot was simple yet sophisticated, and the acting was super. And the dialogue, so many iconic lines :allears: It all makes for a very engrossing, rich movie. Unlike a lot of "critically acclaimed" movies, who seem to demand a lot from the viewer, this was an unexpectedly easy treat. Definitely recommended.

2. The Hustler - I love Paul Newman, but I somehow haven't seen this.

5. The Departed - I caught a few minutes of this on tv and it just didn't seem like my cup of tea. The only Scorsese I've seen is Taxi Driver, Goodfellas and Shutter Island.

9. Hoop Dreams - All I know is that it's a documentary about basketball? I know nothing about basketball.

Have seen: Chinatown, North By Northwest, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Persona, Easy Rider, Casablanca

jonnykungfu
Nov 26, 2007

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Amazing film, a sort of Brazilian Goodfellas.

Watched Tokyo Story.

My Criticker review:

I am very conflicted with this film. On one hand, I can understand the acclaim and hype, and I'd even call this film a sort of a masterpiece, with it's perfectly framed shots, complex characterization, and daring lack of melodrama. On the other hand, I find it restrained to the point of banality at times, to where I feel like I am just watching a boring family doing boring poo poo. Overall, a good film that some will love the hell out of, but I find merely interesting. 70/100

My list:

Nostalghia - My last Tarkovsky feature to watch. For some reason, I am hesitant to start it, even though The Mirror is my all time favorite film.

Stroszek - Got really hyped for it, watch the first bit and got piss-bored.

Watched: The Bad Sleep Well: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Siegfried: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild's Revenge: 75/100, Tokyo Story: 70/100.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

jonnykungfu posted:

I recommend watching the full length 312 minute version.

The Incredibles - I enjoyed this one. It definitely had a James Bond vibe to it at times. I would've liked to see more "supers" but maybe that would've taken the film in a wrong direction and maybe they didn't want to show a lot of them and then have the omnidroid inevitably kill them off.

I didn't see a strong Libertarian thesis anywhere in the film but you could easily find one if you were looking for it. Just like you could view it as a civics study.

also watched: The Bourne Supremacy - This was a good sequel. Had some surprises I didn't see coming. My least favorite part was the chase sequence near the end. I don't even know what makes a good or bad sequence really. They all contain lots of cars and people dodging and screaming but sometimes they don't work.

I think I find these somewhat unique because the CIA and other governmental agencies are primarily portrayed as dirtbags when in most mainstream films they're not. I'm amused that Bourne continually harasses and outdoes his former bosses.

IMDb list:

#162 The Secret in Their Eyes - Recently acclaimed foreign movie I heard about on TV. 5/2/11

#167 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Is this similar to Snatch? 4/23/11

#183 Gandhi - I believe this was the first movie I added to the Netflix queue when I got that service. Then I added another 300+ movies and this vanished somewhere into ether. 5/18/11

#195 The Hustler - I never did like Paul Newman's pasta sauces (the Newman's Own brand). Nasty frozen pizzas too. I don't care if they've given $300million USD to charity in the last 30 years! 6/16/11

#197 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#205 A Streetcar Named Desire - Is this the one where Brando keeps screaming "Stella?!" 7/1/11

#207 Stalag 17 - Apparently the first sixteen films aren't as good. 7/16/11

#209 In Bruges - I don't know how to pronounce the title. 7/16/11

new #210 The Passion of Joan of Arc - Vampyr had some interesting things in it so maybe this will too. 7/21/11

new #212 Kind Hearts and Coronets - The title does not tickle my fancy. 7/21/11

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

Aguirre was exactly what I expected it to be, but it was also great. Klaus Kinski was terrific - it's been a while since I've seen an actor who can portray so much with a facial expression. It was almost an anti-epic: short, minimalist, and completely without fanfare. Great examination of unchecked masculinity and imperialism.

2. Network: Lumet has the potential to be one of my favorite filmmakers, so I should definitely see his magnum opus. Been meaning to see it for ages now.
3. The Last Picture Show: I know nothing about this film, but I've been wanting to see it for a while. I think I just like the title a lot.
7. The Seventh Seal: I don't think Bergman is for me, but I'm going to give him another shot. Also, decided Persona should wait until after his less experimental stuff.

Zogo, you should watch A Streetcar Named Desire. That one's coming onto my list soon, and the only two I've seen (Secret in Their Eyes and Lock Stock) weren't particularly awesome, imo.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

jonnykungfu posted:

Amazing film, a sort of Brazilian Goodfellas.

This seems a bit misleading. While I can understand wanting to compare it to something, as brutal as Goodfellas was, it was still FUN. City of God is amazing, but it's completely brutal. I wouldn't call it a fun movie at all.

I don't know what I would compare it to because it really just stands out on it's own.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
dreadnought, go with Annie Hall, one of my favorite movies.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the later Cassavetes, but Shadows didn't do it for me. The acting was decent, but not good enough to be a draw (unlike his later films). I still liked the improvised style (although it caused a good deal of inconsistency), but it just seemed like the work of an amateur who needed a lot more experience before he could make Faces. 2.5/5

Andrei Rublev
Safe
Umberto D.
No reason
Tout Va Bien
I like Godard.
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Naked
A Zed and Two Noughts
A Short Film About Killing
I'm having trouble motivating myself to finish The Decalogue, even though I've liked what I've seen before.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

TenSpades, watch Umberto D.

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover was really something else. It just sort of throws you into this world and it was about 10 minutes before I really got a grasp of what was going on. But once I did it was fantastic. The colors of the film are astounding and everything came together beautifully. It's intense, and can be very hard to watch at times, but when it all comes together it's amazing.

#65 The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Promised a friend I'd watch this eventually. This is the first one in the series, right?

#66 The Conversation - This is supposed to be right after Apocalypse Now and The Godfather for Coppola's best so let's have at it.

#71 The 39 Steps - I have a good amount of Hitchcock to start making up for.

#73 Django - I need to watch a spaghetti western that's not directed by Leone.

#74 A Hard Day's Night - I do like The Beatles, and this is actually supposed to be really good.

#77 Bronson - I've been wanting to watch it for awhile now, but it looks like I'm not going to without that extra push.

#78 Rio Bravo - John Wayne was a terrible bigot. That's about my reasoning. Won't let that get in the way of some great films.

#79 Malcolm X - I read his autobiography not too long ago, so I'm interested to see how it gets dramatized. Also, it's over 3 hours long so that's kind of holding me back.

#80 Diabolique - I know nothing about this one, but it looks cool so let's go with it.

#81 Y Tu Mamá También - Going in blind.

Seen so far:
Pan's Labyrinth; The Wild Bunch; The Warriors; Chinatown; Dr. Strangelove; American History X; Barton Fink; Apocalypse Now; Eraserhead; The Maltese Falcon; Annie Hall; Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?; Casablanca; M; Seven Samurai; Terminator 2: Judgement Day; The Godfather; The Seventh Seal; Mulholland Drive; 2001: A Space Odyssey; The Silence Of The Lambs; Pee-Wee's Big Adventure; Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid; Wild Strawberries; High Fidelity; Goldfinger; The Bicycle Thief; The Thing; Bonnie And Clyde; There Will Be Blood; 8½; Spirited Away; The Big Sleep; A Fish Called Wanda; The Man Who Wasn't There; 12 Angry Men; The Elephant Man; Once Upon A Time In The West; Moon; The 400 Blows; Rosemary's Baby; City Of God; Dog Day Afternoon; Breathless; Saving Private Ryan; Network; Persona; Mean Streets; Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song; The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari; The Rules Of The Game; The Outlaw Josey Wales; The Killing; Punch-Drunk Love; Rebecca; La Strada; Bowling For Columbine; The Virgin Spring; Wild At Heart; Mad Max; Enter The Dragon; Aliens; Man Bites Dog; The Magnificent Seven; Peeping Tom; Labyrinth; I Am Cuba; Double Indemnity; Man On Wire; Metropolis; The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

TrixRabbi posted:

#80 Diabolique - I know nothing about this one, but it looks cool so let's go with it.

It's pretty good.

Did not like Brief Encounter. I'm not sure why really. It looked great, but I just wasn't that interested in the affair. The horrible narration didn't help either "Everything felt gay and jolly! And we payed for brandy with just 3 piince!". Blergh. Maybe it wasn't just for me.

My Shame List:

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three The original one.

Red Beard The last movie Kurosawa did with Mifune.

Cape Fear I did not care much for the Scorsese remake. Hoping this will be better.

Suspicion Last Cary Grant-Hitchcock collaboration.(Actually the first)

Through a Glass Darkly The first of the Bergman Chamber Trilogy.

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover Lot of praise for this one recently.

Barry Lyndon Only Kubrik left for me to watch.

Cross of Iron Down with the cowboy hat up with the soldiers helmet.

The Name of the Rose Sean Connery, Monk Detective.

Lost in La Mancha The horrors of cursed film making.

Have seen so far 89 movies: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence, Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan, The Conversation, La Règle du Jeu, Serpico, Fantasia, Shane, Get Carter, Grizzly Man, Bonnie and Clyde, To Kill a Mockingbird, Stray Dog, This Film is Not Yet Rated, Gone with the Wind, Rebecca, Ikiru, Brief Encounter.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Pigs and Battleships rules. I loving love the Japanese version of b-movies, and I'm glad I've tapped into a new vein of them. The sets are really stunning in this one, especially that first shot. Exceptional.

Electronico6, get pumped for The Taking of Pelham 123

New list:

New: Le Trou Never enough escape films.

Beware of a Holy Whore Cult Fassbinder hit?

Night Moves I've been meaning to watch this since Arthur Penn died, but haven't gotten to it.

Naked City Been watching, and ADORING, the TV show.

I Know Where I'm Going! Really gotta get to work on P&P.

The Ninth Configuration I keep getting real adamant about watching this, and then it fizzles out in like ten minutes.

Toto, Peppino e la malafemmina Italian comedy doesn't do it for me, but Terrence Malick of all people loves this one. Certainly worth a try.

Body Heat I got nothin'

Montenegro or Sweet Movie I loved WR and the Eclipse set, but I've avoided Sweet Movie because I heard it sucks and Montenegro because the poster is crap.

Barfly I'm a big Bukowski fan which, actually, is why I keep avoiding this.

Finished from this thread:
Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10), The Champ (7/10), Red Beard (8.5/10), Rendez-vous d'Anna (8/10), Two Thousand Maniacs! (7/10), The Old Dark House (7.5/10), The Tarnished Angels (8/10), Ordet (9/10), Pigs and Battleships (8/10)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Naked City is naked. I've never heard of any of those movies, but hell, nudity! (Note: I don't really think that's what it's about, I'm mostly doing a callback to Nelson Muntz going to see Naked Lunch: "I can think of at least two things wrong with the title of that movie." Anyway, I have to pick something.)

Barton Fink was a ton of fun. I like it mainly for all the great characters (oh, and when I listed Coen movies, I’ve also seen Raising Arizona and Oh, Brother- I sometimes forget who made those). Charlie/Mundt/John Goodman was terrific, though I guessed he killed the girl almost immediately. The studio head, Lipnick or whatever his name was, made me laugh with nearly every line. The alcoholic novelist, on the other hand, was just sad. I like when it was shown that Audrey was responsible for much of his success- in another time, she could have been a success on her own, but it’s unlikely a woman could have made it in that day and age. I liked the irony early on where Barton kept shouting at Charlie about how he understood the common man while ignoring everything Charlie was trying to tell him. What I really liked was the little stories on the edges- for instance, I wonder about Lou, and how he thought about all of this. Maybe he just told his boss the script was terrible to get back at Barton for having to kiss his feet. And did Mundt kill Barton’s family? Maybe, but they don’t say for sure. And was it Audrey’s head in the box? Wouldn’t it rot? Well, we don’t know for sure what was in there. The story was disjointed and went in a lot of different directions, but it was still good. The Coens like their Shaggy Dog stories.
Rating: 3.5/4

16. Schindler's List- Of course, I know what this is about, but I know very few details. My wife has seen it and said she'd watch it with me. Since she usually doesn't like serious movies, this is a strong recommendation indeed.

17. Annie Hall- Never seen any Woody Allen, to the best of my knowledge, but this is supposed to be great.

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 25, 2011

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

dreadnought posted:

Somebody make this guy watch Popeye.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Jurgan, watch Annie Hall immediately.

Umberto D. didn't affect me as much as I was hoping. I can see how people could find it incredibly depressing, but the ending with the dog became too sentimental (unfortunate, as sentimentality had been avoided throughout the rest of the film). The dog holding out the hat was a funny image, and the photography of Rome was beautiful. 3.5/5

Andrei Rublev
Safe
Tout Va Bien
I like Godard.
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Naked
A Zed and Two Noughts
A Short Film About Killing
I'm having trouble motivating myself to finish The Decalogue, even though I've liked what I've seen before.
I am Cuba
I hear that this has some amazing camera work. I've seen the pool scene (the one recreated in Boogie Nights) which does nothing to convince me otherwise.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Salo, Or the 120 Days of Sodom - :stare: Well...that is...uh...well...I was right to be scared. It's the most vile movie I've ever seen. Banned in many countries and considered a masterpiece by some, it's a viewing experience that is best left under wraps for most. It's not entirely an empty experience but the frank depiction of such horrible and repeated torturous acts makes me wonder how effective it is. Instead it comes off more like exploitation than a condemnation of corruption, excess or abuse of power.

I felt physically ill through most of it, not an exaggeration. And I'm glad I did because if I was perfectly okay with what I was seeing I think it was time I got some professional help. Wow... :barf:

Question to those who have seen it and more Pasolini. How different is this to the rest of his filmography? I hate to let a filmmaker be judged entirely on one bad experience.

1)Cars - Only Pixar movie I have yet to see.

2) The Last Picture Show - Going to keep watching the America Lost and Found Box Set.

3) Brand Upon the Brain - Might as well give Guy Maddin a go.

4) Black Narcissus – I have never seen a Powell/Pressburger joint.

5) The Killing of a Chinese Bookie - I've only seen Faces by Cassavetes and I wasn't impressed so I've been putting off a second chance. I imagine I'd like Faces more now, I think I was 18 when I saw it.

6)127 Hours – Only BP nominee from this past year I haven’t seen.

7)Double Indemnity – Highest in IMDB top 250 I haven’t seen

8) Point Blank - I'm reading Easy Riders, Raging Bulls and it got mentioned. I always liked the look of it but never got around to it. Also have never really watched much Lee Marvin.

9)The Company of Wolves - Friend of mine lent me this some time ago, he tells me it's really good.

10) In the Bedroom - I've owned it for years and just keep forgetting I have it.

TenSpadesBeTrump, you get Naked! Probably my favourite Mike Leigh that I've seen.

Shame be gone: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo