Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Chairman Capone posted:

In browsing through Comic-Con news, I saw that Karen Traviss is being made the lead writer for both Gears of War and Halo. I don't really have an interest in either series, but fans have my sympathies. I can't wait to read about her intricate Spartan language and description of their tribal social structure.

I'm actually cautiously optimistic that Delray may have learned their lesson about the EU and fired her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Fans of the Halo novels are used to disappointment since every book not by Eric Nylund was really bad. Thankfully they signed on Greg Bear to do some non-embarrassing prequel stuff that should distract people from the inevitable Traviss awfulness.

The prequel stuff, if you mean the forerunner stuff, is actually pretty loving bad too. The Halo EU is similar to the Star Wars one in that among all the poo poo, there's a few treasures.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

VaultAggie posted:

The prequel stuff, if you mean the forerunner stuff, is actually pretty loving bad too. The Halo EU is similar to the Star Wars one in that among all the poo poo, there's a few treasures.

I respect your opinion, but I read through the first one last week and thought it was really good - I love crazy far-out futurist stuff and it was there in spades.

If I'm being fair, I shouldn't really complain about Traviss because it could have been even worse. Whoever did the Mass Effect novels must have been using unholy magic to get those steaming turds published.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Der Luftwaffle posted:

If I'm being fair, I shouldn't really complain about Traviss because it could have been even worse. Whoever did the Mass Effect novels must have been using unholy magic to get those steaming turds published.

That would be none other than Drew Karpyshyn, the main writer for the storylines of Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Oh its this cycle of the thread again.

gently caress I hate Karen Traviss and her writing.

Its so loving pointlessly nihilistic. I'm not a big Halo fan but Ive played all the games and read the short story book. In Halo 3 the big green guy saves the holographic woman and its a really good scene in the game. The dude is like "I was always going to come back for you" And cliche poo poo like that.

The the short story version done by Traviss. The big green guy just saved the holographic woman from being raped nonstop and when he saves her its more cause he needs her like a crude tool and not cause they are friends. Seriously its taking a way different tone for like no reason. Its a decent uplifting scene in the game. In the book its an awful pointless thing.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I respect your opinion, but I read through the first one last week and thought it was really good - I love crazy far-out futurist stuff and it was there in spades.

I can understand why you liked it because there were some really interesting things brought out in the book but I was pretty weirded out by the whole Human-Forerunner war. Not to mention the fact that Humans had actually beat the flood. The whole book didn't seem to ring with the Halo books and seemed almost out of place. But that's just me. :)

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Nucleic Acids posted:

That would be none other than Drew Karpyshyn, the main writer for the storylines of Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2

drat. I can only assume other writers helped out a lot with all the good Bioware games to his name because those books were baaaaad. Even the Mass Effect thread weirdos have consensus on that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Throb Robinson posted:

Its so loving pointlessly nihilistic. I'm not a big Halo fan but Ive played all the games and read the short story book. In Halo 3 the big green guy saves the holographic woman and its a really good scene in the game. The dude is like "I was always going to come back for you" And cliche poo poo like that.

The the short story version done by Traviss. The big green guy just saved the holographic woman from being raped nonstop and when he saves her its more cause he needs her like a crude tool and not cause they are friends. Seriously its taking a way different tone for like no reason. Its a decent uplifting scene in the game. In the book its an awful pointless thing.

So in Traviss' Halo stuff the Spartans are the Jedi and the...holograms are the clones? That's so bizarre. I thought for sure she would gravitate toward the Spartans seeing as they're also elite genetically engineered slave soldiers with space armor.

Also been meaning to ask for a while, what's your avatar picture/quote from?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I think it's from Shadows of the Empire but I could be wrong.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Its from the Shadows of the Empire Comic. The Quote though comes from the novel where Xizor is just thinking about raping Leia. As his charm is so good the only way she can feel normal again if from a lizard loving. His dick is the only antidote. poo poo you not thats how its laid out in the book.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
Steve Perry :allears:. The book was pretty weird but the game was pretty badass with a good mix of vehicle and ground levels, although I couldn't make it past the swoop level on a recent playthrough because the game wasn't rendering anything farther than about 5 yards away so navigating through Mos Eisley at anything approaching a useful speed would kill you the instant you (inevitably) crashed into anything :argh:.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The Lego Star Wars Special was awesome in a Pixar sort of way. :3: Everybody should watch it, it was only 21 minutes

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

angrylinuxgeek posted:

The Lego Star Wars Special was awesome in a Pixar sort of way. :3: Everybody should watch it, it was only 21 minutes

I found this by channel surfing and at first thought it was some kind of short. It really kept the feel of the lego SW games and I kind of hope they make another one.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Can't believe I've never seen this before. Jay Burachel shot first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zd_khk6zXo&feature=player_embedded

Palace of Lies
May 25, 2009
which individual character killed the most Jedi?

Griveous?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Probably Vader, at least when you take into account the Jedi Temple massacre and the following 20-year-long Purge.

Palace of Lies
May 25, 2009
Ah yeah, of course. Maybe should have said Jedi Knights but it's still porbably the same answer. I' almost a little dissapointed.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Der Luftwaffle posted:

drat. I can only assume other writers helped out a lot with all the good Bioware games to his name because those books were baaaaad. Even the Mass Effect thread weirdos have consensus on that.
To be fair there's a ton of horrible writing in the Mass Effect games as well--the games have the benefit of showing rather than telling, so we don't have to read any of Karpyshyn's descriptive prose. Also, lots of nicely choreographed cinematics.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Probably one of the things about the prequels that most disappointed me was that the whole "Vader helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights" line from ANH got realized as "Vader killed some kids while clones basically killed every other Jedi off immediately." And according to a couple of the authors at Dark Horse, Lucas mandated that the Empire isn't interested in hunting down the remaining Jedi after ROTS. Way to go sticking to your own concepts, Lucas.

On a related note, for all the Fett fans who always bring up Fett getting bounties on Jedi, is there any source that actually shows him doing that? I tried to think up a book/comic where Fett goes after a Jedi and I can't think of one.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Wait, but...if the Empire isn't trying to kill them, why would they have to hide at all? Why wouldn't they join the rebellion?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

angrylinuxgeek posted:

While it was cute and I love the Lego Star Wars games, I found it to be a bit too "all over the place" as far as the plot went. I realized it was going to play havoc with continuity anyway (and that's fine), but I still found the mixing of prequel and original era a bit jarring (Jedi younglings and young "Ian" on the one hand and Episode IV Cantina including Wuher on the other, for example, to say nothing of the Mel Brooks meta-style of the Vader cameos). Although it did have a lot of genuinely good laughs in there, such as Palpatine scaring the senate, or Jabba's subtitles showing up in reverse from his perspective.

Aaand that's already far more "serious" "critical" "analysis" than this silly charming little special warrants anyway, especially seeing as how I'm about 30 years above the intended target audience. :sigh:

I guess what I'm saying is I enjoyed it for what it was, but I hope this isn't the direction Seth Green and cohorts are going to take for their upcoming "Star Wars: Detours" show.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Haledjian posted:

Wait, but...if the Empire isn't trying to kill them, why would they have to hide at all? Why wouldn't they join the rebellion?

The Emperor had Death Stars to build and Bothans to kill. I wouldn't be surprised at all if some EU book or comic mentioned that he knew where Obi Wan and Yoda were the entire time but considered them low priority as long as they stayed on their little shitball planets and didn't cause any trouble.

It is a little silly contrasted to the original image of Vader as this badass Jedi hunter though. Having him roam around the galaxy with rumors of some old moisture farmer or bartender disappearing after a Star Destroyer orbited for one day and people mentioned Storm Troopers around town that night would be a lot more fun than just having him kind of there for 19 years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sorry if this has already been posted but I haven't seen it but Joe Johnston (director of The Rocketeer and Captain America) is bugging George Lucas to let him make a Boba Fett movie. This isn't too out of nowhere as Johnston originally worked for ILM and apparently helped co-create Boba Fett.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Lucas will let him do it. But only if Jake Lloyd plays Fett.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

Razorwired posted:

Lucas will let him do it. But only if Jake Lloyd plays Fett.
If they treat him like poo poo and overdub his voice like they did David Prowse, I'm sold.

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009

Razorwired posted:

The Emperor had Death Stars to build and Bothans to kill. I wouldn't be surprised at all if some EU book or comic mentioned that he knew where Obi Wan and Yoda were the entire time but considered them low priority as long as they stayed on their little shitball planets and didn't cause any trouble.

It is a little silly contrasted to the original image of Vader as this badass Jedi hunter though. Having him roam around the galaxy with rumors of some old moisture farmer or bartender disappearing after a Star Destroyer orbited for one day and people mentioned Storm Troopers around town that night would be a lot more fun than just having him kind of there for 19 years.

This always confused me as well - was there ever a definite answer to the whole 'Skywalker last name on Anakin's home planet, living with his uh relatives (how's Owen and co related to him again? Cousins?) rumours of a crazy old man living in the desert thing' Was it an elabourate trap from Obi Wan's perspective? Or was Vader just that blinded by his past that he never had his home planet thouroughly checked out?

Or maybe we're just reading too much into this, again...

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Not A Bear posted:

Or was Vader just that blinded by his past that he never had his home planet thouroughly checked out?

That's the EU explanation, including the idea that Tattoine is too emotionally painful for Vader to ever return to anymore. And he's all "Anakin is dead" so he'd be the type to deliberately never go back just to prove that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Not A Bear posted:

This always confused me as well - was there ever a definite answer to the whole 'Skywalker last name on Anakin's home planet, living with his uh relatives (how's Owen and co related to him again? Cousins?) rumours of a crazy old man living in the desert thing' Was it an elabourate trap from Obi Wan's perspective? Or was Vader just that blinded by his past that he never had his home planet thouroughly checked out?

Or maybe we're just reading too much into this, again...

I think the official reason is that Anakin/Vader hated Tatooine so much because he was a slave/his mother was killed there that he refused to ever go back.

While it's definitely completely retarded that Obi-Wan decided to hide Luke with Vader's last surviving relatives (not to mention he decided to hide Leia by having her be the publicly adopted child of one of the most prominent galactic senators), I can kind of buy that in a galaxy of millions of planets, Vader wouldn't have ever heard of rumors of a crazy hermit living in a spot of desert on a single planet, or really feel the need to go back and check up on how his stepbrother was doing. Kind of.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Chairman Capone posted:

I can kind of buy that in a galaxy of millions of planets, Vader wouldn't have ever heard of rumors of a crazy hermit living in a spot of desert on a single planet, or really feel the need to go back and check up on how his stepbrother was doing. Kind of.

Actually, this is the one thing I CAN buy. Vader doing a complete sever from all his past ties and never ever thinking about his stepbrother would fit his new personae.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Another thing to note is that, as far as Vader knew, Padmé died before giving birth. If you look in Episode III she's made to look pregnant during her funeral on Naboo to keep Luke and Leia secret, so Vader wasn't looking for his kids because he thought they were dead and didn't have any idea they were alive until he hears of a kid from Tatooine with the last name of 'Skywalker' blowing up the Death Star.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

muscles like this? posted:

Sorry if this has already been posted but I haven't seen it but Joe Johnston (director of The Rocketeer and Captain America) is bugging George Lucas to let him make a Boba Fett movie. This isn't too out of nowhere as Johnston originally worked for ILM and apparently helped co-create Boba Fett.

Joe Johnston has some real good movies and some real bad ones in his repetoire, wow. I'm really surprised the director of The Wolfman and Jurassic Park III was also the director of Jumanji and October Sky.

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009

Tomtrek posted:

Another thing to note is that, as far as Vader knew, Padmé died before giving birth. If you look in Episode III she's made to look pregnant during her funeral on Naboo to keep Luke and Leia secret, so Vader wasn't looking for his kids because he thought they were dead and didn't have any idea they were alive until he hears of a kid from Tatooine with the last name of 'Skywalker' blowing up the Death Star.

Now thats an awkward moment, not only has your multi-billion (trillion?) credit space station gone up in smoke...it might just have been your son (using your wacky outdated religion, no less) that pulled the trigger.

Vader got some 'splainin to do - would have loved to have seen Darth explaining this one to the Emperor, annnd now I really want to see a buddy cop film with Vader as the reckless loose cannon getting dressed down by Comissioner Palpatine :v:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Not A Bear posted:

Now thats an awkward moment, not only has your multi-billion (trillion?) credit space station gone up in smoke...it might just have been your son (using your wacky outdated religion, no less) that pulled the trigger.

Vader got some 'splainin to do - would have loved to have seen Darth explaining this one to the Emperor, annnd now I really want to see a buddy cop film with Vader as the reckless loose cannon getting dressed down by Comissioner Palpatine :v:

Timothy Zahn implied that that was when the Emperor cut off Vader's hand. Fortunately, unlike idiot moron writers we have today, he left it as loose as possible, what with it essentially being reported 3rd hand via rumors from Mara Jade, who may well have been lying at that point anyway just to psych Luke out.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Poor Vader, he lost his hand so many times. Dooku sliced off the original, the Emperor took it off again and then his son cut it off again. If I were him, I'd invest in some cortosis or something. :(

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Has the EU ever addressed the shortage of cortossis after the Old Republic era?

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Has the EU ever addressed the shortage of cortossis after the Old Republic era?

That weird amazon cult's probably been stockpiling it. The one that appeared along with the first appearance of cortosis (I think it was in the lovely Black Fleet Crisis books)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

VaultAggie posted:

Poor Vader, he lost his hand so many times. Dooku sliced off the original, the Emperor took it off again and then his son cut it off again. If I were him, I'd invest in some cortosis or something. :(

I imagine after the second time it's just like getting your glasses stepped on. Maybe a little embarrassing and frustrating

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Goreld posted:

That weird amazon cult's probably been stockpiling it. The one that appeared along with the first appearance of cortosis (I think it was in the lovely Black Fleet Crisis books)

The Jensarai? I think they popped up in I, Jedi and The New Rebellion. Not sure which predates which. The cult that pops up in BFC was the Adepts of the White Current.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wasn't cortosis invented by Zahn in his Bantam wrapup duology? At least that's where I first remember reading about it.

Talking about Zahn makes me wonder something else. He has Obi-Wan appear as a ghost to Luke in a couple books, and a few other authors have Obi-Wan ghost in also. But has any author ever had Yoda appear as a ghost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I think I'll pop my nose in here.

Has an explanation for the SW Galaxy's seeming technological stagnation ever been given? I mean, going from Knights of the Old Republic Era, to Empire Era technology doesn't seemed to have changed much, hell it seems to have regressed in a few areas (above-mentioned Cortosis, no personal shield generators, etc). Yet in Empire Era development seems to occur at a brisk pace, someone invents a planet exploder, fighter designs routinely render ones only a decade or two old obsolete, the bullshit with stuff like the suncrusher, etc etc.

Is it just another case of poor writing, or does every millennia or two a nice war blow up half the Republic and set science back a dozen centuries?