Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

freeforumuser posted:

Kansas - The Pinnacle

Anymore phenomenal prog rock tracks like the above?

A lot, actually. Kansas were very much a product of their influences, and you'll find a lot of music with a similar feel among the first wave of British prog. I'd particularly look at Emerson, Lake & Palmer, and start with Brain Salad Surgery because of Karn Evil 9.

Also if it's proggy hard rock you're mostly after, you can't go wrong with Eloy. Floating is sort of the sweet spot, as their earlier stuff sounds more simplistic and amateurish, and after Floating they moved on to bizarre concept albums that while still excellent musically are impossible to not laugh at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I've been addicted to Black Moth Super Rainbow lately and want to hear similar stuff. I know some of their members have released solo albums but what else is there? I know the Octopus Project collaborated with them but on their own they're not that similar.

Also, I'm looking for more tracks like Neon Indian's Ephemeral Artery. I'm not really a fan of Neon Indian's other songs or chillwave in general but I like the way this song straddles dance and rock.

Amazon Review
Mar 3, 2009

1F YOU B3LI3V3 H4RD 3NOUGH 1N 1M4G1N4RY TH1NGS, TH4T M4K3S TH3M SL1GHTLY L3SS F4K3!
Any recommendations for late 70s/80s British art rock or punk other than the canonized greats like Joy Division, Wire, This Heat, Public Image Ltd. and The Pop Group?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Amazon Review posted:

Any recommendations for late 70s/80s British art rock or punk other than the canonized greats like Joy Division, Wire, This Heat, Public Image Ltd. and The Pop Group?

Art Bears (especially The World as It Is Today), Camberwell Now, The Comsat Angels, Eyeless in Gaza

Edit: added youtube links

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 14, 2011

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Amazon Review posted:

you've probably heard them but they weren't mentioned so perhaps Gang of Four

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Amazon Review posted:

The Fall. Not English, but The Birthday Party, Pere Ubu and Mission of Burma might also work.

Dvega
Aug 2, 2006

The most magical song of all.
Having, over the past year or so, fallen head-over-heels for the E Street Band, as well as listened to a lot of motown and classic rock in general, I find it sad that in the past 20 years or so popular music seems to have completely turned it's back on the saxophone. I don't get it! All the best songs have a saxophone somewhere in there. Please reaffirm my faith in humanity and prove that there are still (good) rock bands out there putting out new music that make good use of a sax.

Dvega fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 15, 2011

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Amazon Review posted:

Swell Maps, Maximum Joy, The Mekons, Scritti Politti, The Raincoats, Dog Faced Hermans, The Ex (not British but whatever), 23 Skidoo... as far as newer stuff is concerned, you might enjoy Life Without Buildings, they released one album back in 2001 which is excellent.

Amazon Review
Mar 3, 2009

1F YOU B3LI3V3 H4RD 3NOUGH 1N 1M4G1N4RY TH1NGS, TH4T M4K3S TH3M SL1GHTLY L3SS F4K3!

Rollersnake posted:

Art Bears (especially The World as It Is Today), Camberwell Now, The Comsat Angels, Eyeless in Gaza

All four of these youtubes were exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Paperhouse posted:

you've probably heard them but they weren't mentioned so perhaps Gang of Four

funkybottoms posted:

The Fall. Not English, but The Birthday Party, Pere Ubu and Mission of Burma might also work.

Listen and love all of these bands already, thanks anyway.

dailydares posted:

Swell Maps, Maximum Joy, The Mekons, Scritti Politti, The Raincoats, Dog Faced Hermans, The Ex (not British but whatever), 23 Skidoo... as far as newer stuff is concerned, you might enjoy Life Without Buildings, they released one album back in 2001 which is excellent.

I like Swell Maps and Mekons, will have to look around for those others

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Amazon Review posted:

I also neglected to mention Cardiacs because I think they peaked in the '90s, but feel the need to mention them in case you haven't heard them. They're probably my favorite art rock/punk band.

Bootstrap Beefstud
Jan 1, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anyone have any bands that sound like Xploding Plastix or Jaga Jazzist? Something like this would be great too.

Bootstrap Beefstud fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 16, 2011

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Amazon Review posted:

Rollersnake posted:

If you like Art Bears check out Henry Cow and the rest of the Rock in Opposition artists.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I've been trying to get into newer (90s/2000s) metal lately and am kind of bewildered by all the subgenres I'm unfamiliar with. I used the Onion AV Club's list of best metal of the decade http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-decades-best-metal,35509/ to try to broaden my horizons, but I really don't like much of what I've listened to so far.

As with everyone else, I like Sabbath and the thrash metal bands (despite their lack of similarity), but I don't care whatsoever about lyrics. To me, vocals are just an instrument, so any bands where there's a lot of screaming makes it tough for me to listen to. Of the newer bands I've tried out, I really really liked Earthless (no vocals heh), and am ok with Mastodon, Opeth, Sleep, Amon Amarth, and Dimmu Borgir, but didn't really fall in love with any of them. Sadly, the album I'd probably listen to most out of the last decade would be the first Dethalbum which just seems totally wrong.

I know this is a really open ended question so if there's so obvious best of subgenre lists I could go down (I've tried googling a lot but no luck) I'd really appreciate it. I like both fast and slow metal, I just struggle to listen to a lot of metal vocals-even Slayer's great 80s albums (and Christ Jesus from the 2000s) are tough for me to listen to despite me liking everything else.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Amazon Review posted:

Sliiightly less well-known: Au Pairs, Josef K, Liquid Liquid (American, sorry), Manicured Noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB-DAyZ-3Nk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b2a6etiEKM

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

I've been trying to get into newer (90s/2000s) metal lately and am kind of bewildered by all the subgenres I'm unfamiliar with. I used the Onion AV Club's list of best metal of the decade http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-decades-best-metal,35509/ to try to broaden my horizons, but I really don't like much of what I've listened to so far.

As with everyone else, I like Sabbath and the thrash metal bands (despite their lack of similarity), but I don't care whatsoever about lyrics. To me, vocals are just an instrument, so any bands where there's a lot of screaming makes it tough for me to listen to. Of the newer bands I've tried out, I really really liked Earthless (no vocals heh), and am ok with Mastodon, Opeth, Sleep, Amon Amarth, and Dimmu Borgir, but didn't really fall in love with any of them. Sadly, the album I'd probably listen to most out of the last decade would be the first Dethalbum which just seems totally wrong.

I know this is a really open ended question so if there's so obvious best of subgenre lists I could go down (I've tried googling a lot but no luck) I'd really appreciate it. I like both fast and slow metal, I just struggle to listen to a lot of metal vocals-even Slayer's great 80s albums (and Christ Jesus from the 2000s) are tough for me to listen to despite me liking everything else.

Try Pelican, Russian Circles, and Red Sparowes. They're all instrumental bands with varying degrees of metal sound (Pelican most, Red Sparowes least, but all three are great). Killswitch Engage actually has pretty good vocals, as does Lamb of God and All That Remains. And don't forget Dio :v:

You might even try a band like Strung Out, which is technically punk but lately has developed more of a metal sound (with Exile/Blackhawks/Agents) to go with solid vocals.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Hi everyone, looking for a present for my brothers birthday but I'm having trouble despite searching for a while.

Essentially he likes dancy, electronic upbeat stuff. So he's always been a fan of Basement Jaxx, Daft Punk and Jamiroquai. In the past I bought him Justice which he liked and I know he also digs Calvin Harris. But I'm having real trouble finding other upbeat dancy music, every line of inquiry I follow seems to either lead into more melancholic reflective stuff, heavier electronic sounds or even rap. I'd really appreciate it if anybody had some suggestions.

Thanks.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

Ace Jameson posted:

Try Pelican, Russian Circles, and Red Sparowes. They're all instrumental bands with varying degrees of metal sound (Pelican most, Red Sparowes least, but all three are great). Killswitch Engage actually has pretty good vocals, as does Lamb of God and All That Remains. And don't forget Dio :v:

You might even try a band like Strung Out, which is technically punk but lately has developed more of a metal sound (with Exile/Blackhawks/Agents) to go with solid vocals.

I was going to post almost exactly this. Pelican, Russian Circles, Cloudkicker and Scale the Summit were all recommended to me in this very thread, and they all have some great instrumental stuff. Some of it better than others, but you're bound to find something you like in there.

Killswitch Engage is an excellent suggestion, and they're one of my favorite metal bands. Adam D. is one of my favorite guitarists, and he makes a hilarious princess.

I also cannot recommend All That Remains enough. Phil has a great voice and is an expert at transitioning between growling/screaming and melody. The song I linked has one of my favorite drummers in metal (though Shannon Lucas left after that album and now drums for The Black Dahlia Murder who I'm not as fond of) and Oli Herbert is a fantastic guitarist.

Lamb of God is also a great suggestion. They're not as melodic as KSE or ATR, but still really good. Love the guitar work and drums in this song especially.

I also want to recommend a little Trivium to you. Matt Heafy was really young when he got his break with Roadrunner Lifeforce Records they didn't sign with RR until the second album :doh: (you can see just how young he was in that video) but he's a great vocalist, and an absolutely BADASS guitarist. Their sound has matured a lot over their last few albums and some of their songs harken back to a more classical metal sound like mid-career Metallica and Megadeath, and they even have some pretty kickass instrumentals. Also, don't get turned off by them if you do some searching and think they're a bunch of kekesuperkawaiifanbois when you find a bunch Japanese-style art; Matt Kiichi Heafy is Japanese-American :)

You may also like In Flames, From Autumn to Ashes and a band I only discovered last year, Acrassicauda an awesome metal band from Iraq who take most of their influences from bands like Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Slipknot (so they claim - I don't hear it in their music). I picked up their debut "album" (it's only like three songs) "Only The Dead See The End of The War" and haven't regretted it. Fully intend to keep watching them.

Jadz fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 19, 2011

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Apocron posted:

Hi everyone, looking for a present for my brothers birthday but I'm having trouble despite searching for a while.

Essentially he likes dancy, electronic upbeat stuff. So he's always been a fan of Basement Jaxx, Daft Punk and Jamiroquai. In the past I bought him Justice which he liked and I know he also digs Calvin Harris. But I'm having real trouble finding other upbeat dancy music, every line of inquiry I follow seems to either lead into more melancholic reflective stuff, heavier electronic sounds or even rap. I'd really appreciate it if anybody had some suggestions.

Thanks.
maybe capsule, they're kind of daft punky although you're probably looking for their later stuff like this as apparently they used to be less dancey and more j-pop

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

mastershakeman posted:

Mantic Ritual is really good newer thrash. It's straight mid-80's Metallica worship.

If you like a little black metal influence, check out Skeletonwitch or Gospel of the Horns.

Bolt Thrower's more recent stuff (in addition the the back catalog) is great death metal. You also might check out Samoth's (from Emperor) band Zyklon.

e: you might also enjoy Grindcore; I never really appreciated death metal until I started listening to grind. Napalm Death, Carcass, and Pig Destroyer are all bands worth checking out.

Not Very Metal fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 19, 2011

iron chic
Jul 1, 2010
Looking for emo with big, passionate vocals and build ups ala Mineral. Era doesn't matter.

msinclair
Dec 17, 2010
Does anyone know some good Jazz songs/albums with singing and lyrics? Stuff like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23sah6aWk3A is awesome. I don't really care what era.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Looking for Jazz music like Ai Kago's new album. (As a side note, if anyone knows where I can get it legally in the UK without it costing an arm and a leg it'd be great.) I tried Last FM but it's results were all based on her time as a J-pop star. I already have a Rat Pack album but I'd prefer female singers, cute accent optional.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSOeXoTQZSk

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

iron chic posted:

Looking for emo with big, passionate vocals and build ups ala Mineral. Era doesn't matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNAe_4c71PU

Also I just noticed your username is what I was using as my profile name on Twitter for the last few weeks. I thought I came up with a cool pun but maybe I just saw your name and didn't realize it?? Aw heck.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Not Very Metal posted:

Mantic Ritual is really good newer thrash. It's straight mid-80's Metallica worship.

If you like a little black metal influence, check out Skeletonwitch or Gospel of the Horns.

Bolt Thrower's more recent stuff (in addition the the back catalog) is great death metal. You also might check out Samoth's (from Emperor) band Zyklon.

e: you might also enjoy Grindcore; I never really appreciated death metal until I started listening to grind. Napalm Death, Carcass, and Pig Destroyer are all bands worth checking out.

Jadz posted:

I was going to post almost exactly this. Pelican, Russian Circles, Cloudkicker and Scale the Summit were all recommended to me in this very thread, and they all have some great instrumental stuff. Some of it better than others, but you're bound to find something you like in there.

Killswitch Engage is an excellent suggestion, and they're one of my favorite metal bands. Adam D. is one of my favorite guitarists, and he makes a hilarious princess.

I also cannot recommend All That Remains enough. Phil has a great voice and is an expert at transitioning between growling/screaming and melody. The song I linked has one of my favorite drummers in metal (though Shannon Lucas left after that album and now drums for The Black Dahlia Murder who I'm not as fond of) and Oli Herbert is a fantastic guitarist.

Lamb of God is also a great suggestion. They're not as melodic as KSE or ATR, but still really good. Love the guitar work and drums in this song especially.

I also want to recommend a little Trivium to you. Matt Heafy was really young when he got his break with Roadrunner Lifeforce Records they didn't sign with RR until the second album :doh: (you can see just how young he was in that video) but he's a great vocalist, and an absolutely BADASS guitarist. Their sound has matured a lot over their last few albums and some of their songs harken back to a more classical metal sound like mid-career Metallica and Megadeath, and they even have some pretty kickass instrumentals. Also, don't get turned off by them if you do some searching and think they're a bunch of kekesuperkawaiifanbois when you find a bunch Japanese-style art; Matt Kiichi Heafy is Japanese-American :)

You may also like In Flames, From Autumn to Ashes and a band I only discovered last year, Acrassicauda an awesome metal band from Iraq who take most of their influences from bands like Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Slipknot (so they claim - I don't hear it in their music). I picked up their debut "album" (it's only like three songs) "Only The Dead See The End of The War" and haven't regretted it. Fully intend to keep watching them.

Ace Jameson posted:

These are excellent suggestions, thanks a whole bunch guys.

iron chic
Jul 1, 2010

Cumhand Luke posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNAe_4c71PU

Also I just noticed your username is what I was using as my profile name on Twitter for the last few weeks. I thought I came up with a cool pun but maybe I just saw your name and didn't realize it?? Aw heck.

They're also a punk band from New York who I don't even like very much to be honest.

TropiusInABox
Jul 22, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g6R89fCUBE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3DrL8pwu1k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLbpQl1cCl8

Looking for music that sort of evokes water or has a "watery" atmosphere like these three songs. Failing that, anything that uses complex time signatures would be great, I know there's alot of that in prog but I'd prefer shorter song lengths.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I tend to associate water with ambient music. Try Point 3 (Water Album) by System 7 or Voices by Roger Eno.

For non-ambient stuff, the only thing that comes to my mind at the moment is Drop by Cornelius, and that's perhaps a bit too literal.

Also for prog rock, you might want to check out Gentle Giant if you haven't already. They're one of the most experimental and complex groups of the first wave of British prog and have a tendency toward shorter songs than most prog groups—they never did a sidelong epic, or anything approaching that in length.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 23, 2011

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

iron chic posted:

what you're looking for, i think, is "midwest emo." check out Elliott, Texas is the Reason, Knapsack, Braid, Sunny Day Real Estate, Christie Front Drive, Split Lip... those are some of the big names of the (sub)genre. Fairweather is a slightly more recent band that might also do it for you (and they're cool dudes).

TropiusInABox
Jul 22, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

I tend to associate water with ambient music. Try Point 3 (Water Album) by System 7 or Voices by Roger Eno.

For non-ambient stuff, the only thing that comes to my mind at the moment is Drop by Cornelius, and that's perhaps a bit too literal.

Also for prog rock, you might want to check out Gentle Giant if you haven't already. They're one of the most experimental and complex groups of the first wave of British prog and have a tendency toward shorter songs than most prog groups—they never did a sidelong epic, or anything approaching that in length.
Thanks, these are great!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I am looking for electro/house music along the lines of this and this, preferably it will be bass heavy and also very synth heavy, square waves and whatnot. However, if there is any magical mix of this that is also less busy, I don't know what I would call it, that's what I'm really after. I don't remember the last time I heard bass-heavy downtempo electro/house without a ton of drums, but that's basically what I'm looking for.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

iron chic posted:

Guiltmaker maybe?

RollingBoBo
Aug 25, 2008

living that high life
Anything like protest the hero? This is the only metal (i don't even know if it's metal) i have so you don't have to go deep in your recommandations

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
I'm looking for something I will love as much as Maze featuring Frankie Beverly. I've heard a lot of Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, and those are great too, but there seems to be something about Maze that is on another level of smooth. They are like the yacht rock of soul music. Super positive vocals with "mellow funk"/ "mellow disco" vibes for all the instrumentation.

I think maybe I need to be introduced to some Philly soul? Any recs appreciated.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

RollingBoBo posted:

Anything like protest the hero? This is the only metal (i don't even know if it's metal) i have so you don't have to go deep in your recommandations

Some groups you might like

Between the Buried and Me
Human Abstract
Mars Volta
Animals as Leaders

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010

funkybottoms posted:

The Fairport Convention for something contemporary, The Kingsbury Manx if you want something modern, non-English, and with a bit more rock to it.

slowdave posted:

Get both of the Folk is Not a Four Letter Word compilations for a pretty nice selection of 60-70s folk from all around the world.

As funkybottoms said, Fairport Convention are good. You might like The Incredible String Band too.

Sorry for the slow reply, thanks a lot! :): Listening to some Fairport Convention now, this is nice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xODjbfYw8

RollingBoBo
Aug 25, 2008

living that high life

the Bunt posted:

Some groups you might like

Between the Buried and Me
Human Abstract
Mars Volta
Animals as Leaders

I liked the two i didn't cross, thanks! Anything more in that vein?

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I'm looking for some dark sparse electronic pop like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdJZ2hw7wpU
http://grooveshark.com/s/My+Darkness/2NtfCw?src=5

Any suggestions?

edit: And I know about and listen to trip-hop. I like these because they're more sparse and doesn't have the "hop" of trip-hop.

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 27, 2011

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RollingBoBo posted:

What Between the Buried and Me stuff did you like? I'm not very well versed in their stuff but when I hear it sometimes I think of Mastodon and sometimes I think of The Dillinger Escape Plan.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

RollingBoBo posted:

Converge (you'll probably like Jane Doe and the albums after that but they are all good and worth checking out)
Botch
Coalesce
Pretty much any math rock and metalcore from the late 90s to early 00s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So this is a pretty generalised request question..

I'm quite a fan of basically rock from the 70s and 80s. Unfortunately I haven't moved particularly far from the typical stuff you hear on classic rock radio stations.. Before I start trying to open my mind to music made in this decade (because I've been burnt) I want to exhaust my options.

I could name stuff I like but basically I know little that is even slightly obscure. Any directions to look?