Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So I hear they put CM7 on the Thunderbolt finally... anyone running it? How painless is it to swap from BAMF over to that? And is it really even worth it? I've heard some serious horror stories about early CM7 builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
To those skeptical of miui and the miui launcher, work with it and try it for a day or so. I was you, I would try it for like five minutes then go back to CM7. Then I just tried it, it's so loving good. Can't wait till it's ported to the X2.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Codiusprime posted:

To those skeptical of miui and the miui launcher, work with it and try it for a day or so. I was you, I would try it for like five minutes then go back to CM7. Then I just tried it, it's so loving good. Can't wait till it's ported to the X2.

I liked MIUI fine on my N1 but I could never stand the launcher - the terrible design of the iOS app management system is half the reason I switched to Android. I wish they would put in a 'use app drawer' option at least.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Glimm posted:

I liked MIUI fine on my N1 but I could never stand the launcher - the terrible design of the iOS app management system is half the reason I switched to Android. I wish they would put in a 'use app drawer' option at least.

This is one thing that's bugging me. I have quite a list of apps that I either open once to setup out that I just flat out won't open. Why do I have to continuously look at them on the home screen? So I end up with a folder of apps that never get touched.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

rotaryfun posted:

This is one thing that's bugging me. I have quite a list of apps that I either open once to setup out that I just flat out won't open. Why do I have to continuously look at them on the home screen? So I end up with a folder of apps that never get touched.

This is why I just used ADW ex on MIUI.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Glimm posted:

This is why I just used ADW ex on MIUI.

Exactly, I usually kept miui launcher and adw ex setup and would switch between them regularly.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
This may be of interest to fellow MyTouch 4G owners:

Some have bad displays
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=863679

Some have bad memory chips
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1081243

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Ok, seemed to have fixed most of my problems.

email now syncs properly.

Now the only gripe I have is that I can't properly update my contact card with my current facebook picture, nor my lady. It is using the info from my October backup.

Hot Dog Day 60
Aug 11, 2003

Ok, I'm really sorry to be asking this, but I just got a stock droid 1 and need to root it, running OSX. I want to put CM7 on there. I've looked at countless guides online but I'm a bit of a turd and can't make sense of a lot of the terminology; to make matters worse a lot of the utilities are Windows/Linux only. Is there a good step by step guide for OSX anywhere? I looked at the one on the CM wiki but it assumes you've already rooted, so once I get that far I think I'll be ok.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Fuzz posted:

So I hear they put CM7 on the Thunderbolt finally... anyone running it? How painless is it to swap from BAMF over to that? And is it really even worth it? I've heard some serious horror stories about early CM7 builds.

It's been out in RC form since mid June. The latest RC1.2 which helped fix handoff issues was released around 7/6

I've been running CM7 RC1.2 for awhile now and haven't had any issues with it besides the occasional hardlock which requires a battery pull that has happened only 2x in the past month or so and randomly.

Some people complain of low call volume and oddities with geolocation via celltower (i.e. Beautiful Widgets will show me in Alabama even though I'm in DC)

Edit: I did just switch from the stock CM7 (Slayher) kernel to Tiamat 1.0.3 and it's zipping along. Apparently this is also supposed to fix the low call volume issues.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 25, 2011

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Is there a tablet, other than the Nook, that's pretty embraced by the Android community? I'm comparing the Tab 10.1, Transformer, Thrive, and maybe Xoom. Transformer seems to be a great value while the Toshiba seems half-baked, but the idea of USB ports and a replaceable battery is nice. If I knew one is better when it comes to aftermarket support it would help a ton.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

Is there a tablet, other than the Nook, that's pretty embraced by the Android community? I'm comparing the Tab 10.1, Transformer, Thrive, and maybe Xoom. Transformer seems to be a great value while the Toshiba seems half-baked, but the idea of USB ports and a replaceable battery is nice. If I knew one is better when it comes to aftermarket support it would help a ton.

Aftermarket support on most Honeycomb tablets is going to be fairly minimal until the release of source code, which is likely to be after Ice Cream Sandwich is released.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Choosing between the Transformer and the Toshiba tablet isn't really what I'd call a decision. The Transformer is lighter, it's been out for about three months (so there's an established developer base), and doesn't need a removable battery. I had a full weekend of pretty heavy use on my TF and made it to Sunday afternoon before needing to charge it.

Also, Asus had the 3.1 update ready within just a few weeks of the initial release, and had 3.2 in testing as of a week ago. Nobody knows what kind of follow-up Toshiba will have.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 25, 2011

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Trying to install a rom on my rooted optimus v and having problems. I have already rooted a phone before (mytouch 4g) so I 'know what I'm doing'.

1: rooted.
2: installed clockwork recovery (apparently a mistake) and tried to install a couple of roms. Each of them seem to hang on the loading screen.
roms I tried:
-http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1176888
-http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=962862

3: found out about xionia recovery. Flashed that (apparently flashing recoveries works thankfully, as opposed to flashing real roms)
4: tried both roms again, still stuck on loading screen.

5: found a 'stock rom' backup. Installed rom.
it worked.

I've tried again, following all instructions. I installed the specific aosp clockworkmod recovery, and tried installing aosp again. no dice. My install procedure:
-go into custom recovery
-wipe cache + dalvik
-install rom
-install google apps.
-reboot
-wait during about 5-10 mins of boot screen, give up.

update: I tried installing the cyanogenmod nightly using the method here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/62730-zefies-cm7-optimus-v-current-03012011-a.html and again I'm stuck on the boot screen. What the hell is going on? time to restore the original rom again I suppose.

redreader fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 25, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

CM7 RC 1.3 just dropped for the Thunderbolt. It has a handful of fixes but the big one in my book is that they fixed the issue with signal strength being calculated.

Edit: http://goo-inside.me/cm/mecha/rc but it looks like it's getting hammered

JayKay fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 25, 2011

AllenR
Dec 5, 2007
Blerg
Is there any sort of simple guide to figuring out how to sim unlock my phone? I have a G2/HTC Vision running Cyanogenmod 7.1.0-RC1.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

AllenR posted:

Is there any sort of simple guide to figuring out how to sim unlock my phone? I have a G2/HTC Vision running Cyanogenmod 7.1.0-RC1.

Is it T-Mobile branded? If it is just have someone with a T-Mobile account call and get a code.

AllenR
Dec 5, 2007
Blerg

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Is it T-Mobile branded? If it is just have someone with a T-Mobile account call and get a code.

It is. Does T-Mobile look who the phone is tied to? The problem is my phones current service is on a suspended family plan which likely won't be getting paid anytime soon, so I assume T-Mobile will demand for me to pay off the bill before giving me a code.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

AllenR posted:

It is. Does T-Mobile look who the phone is tied to? The problem is my phones current service is on a suspended family plan which likely won't be getting paid anytime soon, so I assume T-Mobile will demand for me to pay off the bill before giving me a code.

Have someone else on T-Mobile call and say they bought it used. I've done it plenty of times for goons on SA Mart. I'd do it for you but I've already done one this year.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
If you ran gfree to root it, you're already unlocked.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Aatrek posted:

Unrevoked for Wildfire is the easiest option, probably.

Well I did mention in the post that I've tried it and it didn't work. I went through it again, thinking it may have been updated, buuut it goes through all the steps, reboots the phone, then:

Any other help?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I have a Dinc2. Is it a bad idea to root this early in a devices life, other than potentially mucking up your warranty?

Because I loving HATE Sense.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Living Vicariously posted:

I have a Dinc2. Is it a bad idea to root this early in a devices life, other than potentially mucking up your warranty?

Because I loving HATE Sense.

Given that the Incredible 2 has both MIUI and CM7 available for it, not really. Just make sure you know what you're doing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AllenR posted:

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

If you ran gfree to root it, you're already unlocked.

This is correct, gfree SIM unlocks G2s.

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus
Running CM 7 on my Droid X now. Overall, it's fantastic. I was worried that it wouldn't be "true" Gingerbread, but it has every feature of GB and then some. Even Netflix works flawlessly. I installed the all-in-one fix from XDA and the camera and GPS work just fine.

There are, however, a couple of annoyances. First and foremost are the soft reboots. I thought I had said goodbye to those forever when I upgraded to GB. Now they're back in full force. I'm assuming that's thanks to the Froyo kernel.

Also, it disables any custom input methods on boot. This is annoying on its own, but downright frustrating combined with the frequent reboots.

Overall, it's surprisingly complete. Theme support is great, the added features are great, and it's very smooth. Haven't run into app incompatibilities so far. I'm hoping future updates reduce the reboots, at the very least.

Jobarr
Aug 12, 2000

Nupraptor posted:

Also, it disables any custom input methods on boot.

Are they stored on internal or external storage?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
How does CM7 compare to Liberty? Liberty's working great for me and so far no one has mentioned a compelling reason for me to switch. I'm running CM7 on my Nook and I haven't really found anything it has that I need on my X.

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus

Jobarr posted:

Are they stored on internal or external storage?
I should have thought of that. Thanks. I just did a batch restore of my apps with Titanium, didn't really think about the fact that everything installed to the external memory by default.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

How does CM7 compare to Liberty? Liberty's working great for me and so far no one has mentioned a compelling reason for me to switch. I'm running CM7 on my Nook and I haven't really found anything it has that I need on my X.
The last version of Liberty I used was 1.7 or 1.8. I never tried Liberty GB. That said, I like CM7 better. Overall, it feels like a "cleaner" experience, in terms of being closer to a true AOSP ROM. Customization is far more in-depth than Liberty in most regards: You can customize just about anything you can think of, including auto-brightness levels, hardware key behavior, etc. There are lots of great little enhancements that, alone, don't sound like much but together really improve the experience (power notification controls, 1% battery increments in the status bar, Market based theme support, to name a few). It has all the bells and whistles of Gingerbread, and even displays as Android 2.3.4 in the settings page. The only area Liberty had the advantage in was stability but, seeing as how I've only been running CM7 since last night, I'm willing to give it a while to see if that evens out.

Nupraptor fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 25, 2011

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I was running CM7 for all of 2 days. I would get random reboots when trying to run certain games and overall it was still just a bit to buggy for my taste. I just want a phone that works and a few other requirements. And for me, AOSP Liberty fills that roll nicely. Maybe when they have a stable CM7 but till then, I'm good.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Have someone else on T-Mobile call and say they bought it used. I've done it plenty of times for goons on SA Mart. I'd do it for you but I've already done one this year.

Tmobile will unlock devices for you ever 90 days. I've done multiple devices per year. They'll tell you to wait a month if it's been too recent since the last.

And yeah, gfree will sim unlock both G2's and MT4G's. Tested mine with an ATT SIM, worked just fine.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Civil posted:

Tmobile will unlock devices for you ever 90 days. I've done multiple devices per year. They'll tell you to wait a month if it's been too recent since the last.

If your account is in good standing. It's weird that keep telling me that I only get one a year though.

AllenR
Dec 5, 2007
Blerg

Civil posted:

And yeah, gfree will sim unlock both G2's and MT4G's. Tested mine with an ATT SIM, worked just fine.

Just to be correct, sim unlock will allow me to use, for example, an AT&T sim card on my T-Mobile branded phone correct? Cause that's more or less what I plan to do, just not going from T-Mobile to AT&T.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

AT&T, or any other GSM provider around the world in any country. Just swap out the SIM card and it will auto-detect the new provider, unless you've hard set the network provider, which you shouldn't be messing with.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I like the Sense UI (Evo 3D) but want to clean up Sprint's bloat/spyware. Does it make more sense to root and use an "app freeze" utility, or find a "vanilla" Sense ROM and start from scratch?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I had rooted my ATRIX a while back. Now, I would like to try the new Moto Gingerbread release. I did a full factory wipe/reset, yet when I try to apply the update it fails on some patch check. Has anybody managed to upgrade to official Gingerbread from Moto on a rooted ATRIX?

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

blargle posted:

I like the Sense UI (Evo 3D) but want to clean up Sprint's bloat/spyware. Does it make more sense to root and use an "app freeze" utility, or find a "vanilla" Sense ROM and start from scratch?

Root and Titanium Backup to remove everything. Flashing a rom is major overkill to just remove some crap.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

blargle posted:

There is only a 'temp root' out right now, and a TON of the threads in the dev section of XDA for the EVO3D have scripts that do exactly what you're asking:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1166740 is the one I just used.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

blargle posted:

No, because Sprint's Evo 3D allows you to uninstall a lot of the bloat/"spyware"(really?), and it's not going to run unless you want it to, so it's pointless to sperge out about it, really. If seeing it on the list REALLY bothers you, install LPP or ADW (both of which can mimic Rosie nearly perfectly) and just make it so they don't show up on the list.

AllenR
Dec 5, 2007
Blerg

Civil posted:

AT&T, or any other GSM provider around the world in any country. Just swap out the SIM card and it will auto-detect the new provider, unless you've hard set the network provider, which you shouldn't be messing with.

Haven't touched any hard set for the provider. However I'm having difficulties getting everything going. I keep searching up guides on using gfree but most of them seem to be included with rooting a fresh phone. So should I just look up a guide to un-root my phone and start over again, or is there one out there that I can skip to basically doing the sim unlocking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

No, don't unroot first. For most gfree guides, you can just pick up from where you've already obtained temp-root, and just follow the instructions from there, if you've already rooted via another method.

Just do this part from this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=855764
code:
Make sure your computer is not mounting your phone's sdcard. 

==== 2. Run gfree on the phone ====

On your computer's terminal/command line, navigate to where the gfree file is, and then...

Code:
 adb push gfree /data/local
 adb shell
This copies gfree to your phone, then puts you in your phone's terminal. Then do this:

Code:
 su
 cd /data/local
 chmod 777 gfree
 ./gfree -f
 sync
Wait a few moments for the sync to "take". Then reboot your phone. That's it!