Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Sponge! posted:

So, uh, where's the water pump to go with it?

And the tensioner :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Replaced the Ignition Misfire Sensor on the Kia. Problem solved.

Replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor on the daughter's Neon. Still won't start. I'll do a compression test tomorrow to see if it slipped the timing belt. If the belt is OK, I'll check the crank position sensor.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

EightBit posted:

I think it was sarcasm and he actually loves doing timing belts, so much that he's going to ensure that he has to do it at least two more times this year.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

EightBit posted:

And the idlers, if applicable :colbert: :colbert:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

CornHolio posted:

And the idlers, if applicable :colbert: :colbert:

Shame on you not knowing that's a SOHC belt. :smug:

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I remember when I changed my water pump. It was so drat easy. I only wish that I spent the extra money to get an electric pump. You know for extra 50 hp!

looking at the damage I had no idea it was a water pump problem. I mean the damage is no where near the water pump! I did not know at the time, but when a water pump goes bad a little seep hole opens up and all the coolant drips behind the crank pulley making a nasty mess. In any case I ordered a new $60 pump from LRS, cleaned the mess as well as I could and the car has been good.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

kalvick posted:

I remember when I changed my water pump. It was so drat easy. I only wish that I spent the extra money to get an electric pump. You know for extra 50 hp!

looking at the damage I had no idea it was a water pump problem. I mean the damage is no where near the water pump! I did not know at the time, but when a water pump goes bad a little seep hole opens up and all the coolant drips behind the crank pulley making a nasty mess. In any case I ordered a new $60 pump from LRS, cleaned the mess as well as I could and the car has been good.

Yep, and that's exactly why you change the pump when you do the timing belt on Hondas. If you don't it will piss coolant onto your belt and then you'll really be up poo poo creek!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Sponge! posted:

Shame on you not knowing that's a SOHC belt. :smug:

well then, new coolant.

I thought the belt looked kind of short...

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

DJ Commie posted:

One is probably an oxygen sensor, the other could be a bad cat caused by the long-bad oxygen sensor.

Very true. Over the weekend I'm gonna VAGCOM it to see about eh lambda sensor and do a compression test to find out where all the escaping oil is going. If the piston rings are done too it's probably too much work to be worth doing.

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008
Did the timing belt/water pump on my Miata today. First time doing any work of this magnitude, and had some friends help me out this afternoon. Of course no one could stick around for the rebuild, and I was a bit worried when I first cranked it up, but it started fine and runs great. :D

Also sprayed the valve cover Red for an additional 25 horses.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Sponge! posted:

So, uh, where's the water pump to go with it?

Only 68,000 miles on the engine, I plan to change the other stuff at 100,000 miles with another belt. This will likely take the next six years to gain this mileage. What I'm doing now is a time-based belt change, not miles. I only distrust the belt, the waterpump and tensioner should be fine on miles-based changes. I plan on now changing the belt every six years, regardless of mileage. I shouldn't have let it go this long.

CornHolio posted:

well then, new coolant.

I thought the belt looked kind of short...

It's a DOHC, B18c5.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 22, 2011

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Corrosion on the water pump comes from time, not miles.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Geirskogul posted:

Corrosion on the water pump comes from time, not miles.

Corrosion of the water pump comes from time only when bathed with lovely fluid that's gone acidic. My fluid is changed every spring, is part of a closed system and thus not susceptible to evaporation/oxygenation and only receives 3000-5000 miles per year. The only other degradation the pump experiences is of the shaft seal, which is worn primarily by miles. I'll spin the pump with the belt off to ensure it's still stiff to turn, an indication of a good pump seal. If it spins easy I'll order a pump and install it before completing the job.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
Put a diablosport tune on my '07 mustang. Throttle response at lower engine speeds (<3000rpm) is greatly improved. Also, strangely, I feel the engine has a nicer idle.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Compression test was good. When I inspected the wiring harness, all 3 wires to the crank position sensor were devoid of insulation. Currently trying to find a wiring harness for less than $200...

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
I installed KYB AGX shocks, Tein S Tech springs, and AMS adjustable upper control arms on the rear of my Z today. The car handles so much better now! both rear shocks were completely blown out and the passenger side spring was sagging badly. I need to roll the rear fenders and adjust the camber slightly but otherwise no more rubbing!

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
replaced the old filler neck. no more giant gas puddles when i fill up from now on.

the power steerings been leaking like a bastard for the last two months. lately i've had to fill it up every 3-4 days but on thursday i had a day trip up to maine. it was empty in the morning so i filled it up before i left. 160 miles and 14 hours later it went bone dry as i pulled into my driveway. I had to fill it up today when i went on lunch at 3 in the afternoon and when i pulled the car into the shop to work on it at 6:15 half of it was gone.

the return line was the guilty party and as a result the right half of the engine bay and underbody were coated in atf.

i'm a cheap prick so I cut the steel line at the top and removed the rubber hose from the bottom and replaced it all with some 3/8" fuel injection hose since the return doesn't carry any pressure. we'll see how it goes.

BeastPussy fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 24, 2011

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Saw it in the September issue of European Car magazine. On page 34, that's me in the RS 4 during the rainy, foggy autocross of TT-East 2009. :)

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Got my coilovers installed.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
New secondary (spin on) filter on the 240d. Also installed a new sway bar endlink on the rear driver's side. Runs much smoother, more power and no more knock knock from the rear.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Street parked it for what is at least the whole life of its wheels. I came within 5mm of curbrashing the back wheel. Makes me nervous :(. Then when I drove off I slammed over a tall wave in a washboard section of road.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

kimbo305 posted:

Street parked it for what is at least the whole life of its wheels.

I'm sorry, but I can't parse this sentence.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

I'm sorry, but I can't parse this sentence.

Yikes. I meant:
Street parked it for what is at least the first time in the whole life of its wheels.
The wheels are stock from the factory, but they're so pristine that I think they must have never seen a curb.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
so you hit curbs when parallel parking

:( sigh

get some practice yo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Pulled intake and exhaust manifolds

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
A bit late but I replaced the A/C compressor on my GN. Had to replace the high pressure cut out switch too because I couldn't get the old one out. GG 25 year old piece of plastic. After I filled the system with refrigerant and ran it for a while the high pressure cut out switch blew out, probably because the snap ring wasn't properly secured. Did it all again, seems to be working great. The blower is a little weak but oh well not gonna bother with that. Oh also replaced the accessory belt since it was looked a little old and I had to loosen the intercooler brackets anyway.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Breast Pussy posted:

so you hit curbs when parallel parking
:( sigh
get some practice yo

I definitely do. I'm not a good parallel parker, and I think I rotate through cars quickly enough that I never get one car's dimensions down before I'm on to the next.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
The best method I've found for parallel parking is as follows:

-Pull alongside the vehicle in the space ahead of the one you're aiming for.
-When you start reversing, aim the rear driver's side corner of your car at the front passenger side corner of the car behind you.
-Start cutting the wheel straight when the front passenger's side corner of your car passes the rear driver's side corner of the car in front of your space.
-Finish parking as necessary.

If this works, you shouldn't hit the curb or anything else, and if it doesn't, you usually end up with plenty of space to correct. I've got this down to the point where I can park with one turn of the wheel 90% of the time, regardless of the car I'm driving.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
A lot of tyres have a bit of an overhang that gives you a bit of curb protection these days. Just don't hit too hard to too fast and you should get away with no rim damage.

Unless you have one of those retarded designs (Alfa springs to mind) where the spokes actually stick out further than the tyres.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
My truck has a long bed so I usually just let the rear tire hit the curb then adjust accordingly.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think I'm fine 90% of the time on the first try. But I'm such a perfectionist I will keep fine adjusting if I think I have more than a few inches to spare. I just can't leave it alone if I'm further out than the car ahead or behind me, leading to a shallow angle rub sometimes. It doesn't matter on my beater Crown Vic since the wheel rims usually clear the curb anyways, but I was cutting it close with the Corvette. Sorry for making a mountain out of a molehill.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
no worries but woah woah woah corvette? did i miss something somewhere? i never knew you had a vette.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Breast Pussy posted:

no worries but woah woah woah corvette? did i miss something somewhere? i never knew you had a vette.

Some people buy a Z06 and don't tell AI about it. They're typically bad people.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Cleared a mysterious cyl 1 misfire code on the Volvo. I'll be keeping my eye on you, mister cylinder. :mad:

Also, not really my car but I went to the junkyard and pulled a Dodge air cleaner box and a Cavalier A/C compressor for some friends at work.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Tore apart rear brakes on 89 Integra. Both sides are shot, new calipers, rotors and pads needed. Someone ran these brakes about 20,000 more miles than they should, now everything needs replacing. It could have been just $10 in pads, now it's over $300. Also I diagnosed non-op A/C on the venison Volvo. Lower pressure switch went kaput. Parts on order for both cars.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Did an oil change on my 86 XT and ordered the parts for a front brake and CV axle job. I've procured a 45k mile passenger's seat from another XT to replace my busted driver's seat.

Subaru Drive magazine is following the restoration of my car's twin, I'm guessing they'll only run into difficulty sourcing interior parts and seat fabric. It's got horrific rust, no big deal.

http://drive.subaru.com/sum11_attic.aspx

http://drive.subaru.com/sum11_XTcoupe.aspx

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I saw an XT with most of the parts at my local pick-n-pull last month. I didn't think anybody here had one. I took some pictures of it just because I'd never seen one there.

It wasn't there when I went on Saturday. :(

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Did an oil change on my 86 XT and ordered the parts for a front brake and CV axle job. I've procured a 45k mile passenger's seat from another XT to replace my busted driver's seat.

Subaru Drive magazine is following the restoration of my car's twin, I'm guessing they'll only run into difficulty sourcing interior parts and seat fabric. It's got horrific rust, no big deal.

http://drive.subaru.com/sum11_attic.aspx

http://drive.subaru.com/sum11_XTcoupe.aspx
Wow, when did you get your custom title? Your car is one of the coolest on the forum, some people have no respect.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Some people buy a Z06 and don't tell AI about it. They're typically bad people.

Some people buy one, tell you, and still haven't given you a ride 2 months later despite living a mile away :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Washed the RX8 and my rusty spot count went from a 3 to a 8.

I swear the PO must have tailgated salt trucks.

I need to take some pictures, the more I think about sanding and touching it up my self the more I think I am going to gently caress it up.

Thank god the hood is aluminum, it's only got about 600 paint chips.