Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Maybe Roy will get killed again, and the bird can replace him as group leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Cuchulain posted:

Plot to strips. I have Crohn's Disease so I'm not a big jerk about Rich not updating. But holy poo poo this whole desert bit has been a loving glacially paced.

The trend continues.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Hey that was actually a reasonable wait for an update.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Christ, I have never seen a more entitled fanbase than webcomics fans. The dude is loving diseased and you're not paying one thin red cent, quit bitching.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Cabbit posted:

Christ, I have never seen a more entitled fanbase than webcomics fans. The dude is loving diseased and you're not paying one thin red cent, quit bitching.

Bad pacing is bad pacing.

It does not magically become good pacing because the dude is loving diseased.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Pacing is distinct from updating speed.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Brannock posted:

Yes I know. Quite update or not this story is dragging.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Then stop loving reading it. The pace is perfectly fine for me and I'm enjoying the fights between the Incredible Hulk, Our Hero, a devil and a super-advanced-flying-stealth-dinosaur.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I would probably be more upset about the glacial update pace if OotS was a thing I worried about on a daily basis as opposed to a thing I occasionally remember to check on, derive amusement from, and move on.

Quit gettin' mad about web comics.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Brannock posted:

Hear, hear.

Jeez, people.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not complaining about the pacing. If it were a two-a-week update speed no one would notice.

Cabbit posted:

Actually I've bought all the books and that's his main source of income. We're talking about 200$ in total. So...

I'm pretty sure people everywhere in every medium get pissed when things are unreasonably delayed. Look at Steven King and Dark Tower IV, or how people flip their poo poo when a series does a repeat or a clip show. Of course video game delays also spark plenty of vitriol. All of these represent a hell of a lot more effort than one page of a stick figure comic.

The "Free entertainment gawsh" argument doesn't work with this comic because it's the artist's primary income and three weeks is loving ridiculous, let alone a month.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
The man has been seriously ill and pretty much has to organize everything in this tiny two-dimensional empire himself. Don't white knight unnecessary bitching, it's ridiculous.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nilbop posted:

The man has been seriously ill and pretty much has to organize everything in this tiny two-dimensional empire himself. Don't white knight unnecessary bitching, it's ridiculous.

This would be a legitimate argument if he had at least given some sort of comment in between the weeks with no updates. These days you can text an update on your website using your phone while lying naked in bed if you want to. Considering the availability of the Internet leaving your fan base in the dark for a month is completely unacceptable, I would argue it never was acceptable even before 3g phones. He really should reinstate a schedule. At least that way he would have a structured time to either post a comic or an update on when to expect the comic. I would much rather have a one-a-week schedule than the current system.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Nilbop posted:

I can recognize he has a good reason for the delays and still be frustrated by it.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Holy poo poo, what? Maybe the guy wants his privacy and doesn't feel like discussing whatever illness he has with random stranger on the internet #57.

You paid for his books. That's it. That was the extent of whatever business transaction you had with him. He doesn't owe you a drat thing afterwards.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Toussaint Louverture posted:

This would be a legitimate argument if he had at least given some sort of comment in between the weeks with no updates.

Actually the only thing I hate worse than delayed free web site content is a stupid no-content apology update. I would much prefer that anybody just update their web site with the content I'm expecting when they get around to it then grabbing my attention just to tell me that they got nothing for me. I guess its because I consume a lot of content using Google Reader. I'm totally happy just reading what is updated and not worrying about what isn't.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
^^^
That's a good point, GITP is the only webcomic/blog I still bother with so that's a large part of the reason I'd like updates.

Superstring posted:

You paid for his books. That's it. That was the extent of whatever business transaction you had with him. He doesn't owe you a drat thing afterwards.

The dude is hurting himself, not me. It's mildly annoying to me when I have to wait a month for an update. For him it's jeopardizing his main source of income. I'm invested enough in the characters that I'll keep reading and buying as long as it's available, but a lot of people won't. Limiting your market when you have a niche product is not smart.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Are we talking about market limitations in this thread? Really?

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.
Wow. I'd almost rather an Alignment debate over this Update Debate. God drat.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

Is it just me or is this most recent update seem way too rushed?

It's like he couldn't think of anything so he released a comic that does nothing but acknowledge that Roy is still alive. The punchline doesn't even have anything to do with the storyline; it's a complete throw-away joke with no relevance to anything!

Rich Burlew needs to stop putting together shoddy work.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Nosy_G posted:

The punchline doesn't even have anything to do with the storyline; it's a complete throw-away joke with no relevance to anything!

A joke? In a humor-driven comic strip? NO SIR, I DO NOT LIKE THIS AT ALL *serious face*

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I sure hate things that are given to me for free, too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nosy_G posted:

Is it just me or is this most recent update seem way too rushed?

It's like he couldn't think of anything so he released a comic that does nothing but acknowledge that Roy is still alive. The punchline doesn't even have anything to do with the storyline; it's a complete throw-away joke with no relevance to anything!

Rich Burlew needs to stop putting together shoddy work.

It acknowledged that the bird is an actual concern and that the demon's entire purpose for being there is pretty much to kill it, which in turn hints that there's some way he can screw things up for the bad guys when it comes to the V's Soul thing. That's not exactly nothing plot.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It acknowledged that the bird is an actual concern and that the demon's entire purpose for being there is pretty much to kill it, which in turn hints that there's some way he can screw things up for the bad guys when it comes to the V's Soul thing. That's not exactly nothing plot.

Yeah, Rich has done enough seemingly irrelevant strip elements that tie back into important plot elements to show that actually every strip is pretty well thought throught and relevant.

Also for all the complaining that the stip has too many words (I happen to like that), Rich can stil pull off stips like this.

e: the Crown Roy had on him for a couple of hundred stips up until that point is a pretty good example actually.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 20, 2011

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It was a good strip, I didn't think it seemed rushed at all.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Iggy Johnson posted:

Wow. I'd almost rather an Alignment debate over this Update Debate. God drat.
So is updating irregularly Chaotic? :v:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Zereth posted:

So is updating irregularly Chaotic? :v:

Not just Chaotic! Chaotic Evil.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So what do we say for strip 800? Roy dying again? What's his name, the guy guarding the gate, Girrard showing up? Nale finally getting gutted? Xykon?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toussaint Louverture posted:

So what do we say for strip 800? Roy dying again? What's his name, the guy guarding the gate, Girrard showing up? Nale finally getting gutted? Xykon?

Belkar dies?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
An army made up entirely of flumphs saves the day.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I was sure we'd get a he hid it up his rear end joke :p

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Affi posted:

I was sure we'd get a he hid it up his rear end joke :p

Why do you think the interest rates are reasonable?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Slime posted:

Why do you think the interest rates are reasonable?

5% compounded daily, I'm sure.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'd just like to point out that after all that beating Thog dished out, Roy is still capable of getting up and formulating a tactical plan.

It's subtle, but when you catch on you have to say holy poo poo Roy is a badass.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Vicissitude posted:

5% compounded daily, I'm sure.

Gross dude.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

terminal mehmet posted:

Gross dude.

But not crass! :v:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

inthesto posted:

I'd just like to point out that after all that beating Thog dished out, Roy is still capable of getting up and formulating a tactical plan.

It's subtle, but when you catch on you have to say holy poo poo Roy is a badass.

He must be a 4e fighter

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

inthesto posted:

Or, if you're a D&D nerd you think "damage doesn't matter until you lose that last point of HP".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Hypocrisy posted:

Or, if you're a D&D nerd you think "damage doesn't matter until you lose that last point of HP".

Isn't that a bit redundant?