Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

If you already use mac, then you get an iphone.
If you don't have a mac then you get android.

They are basically the same unless you are some power-user sperglord who can't abide having anything less than THE BEST SPECS every second of every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Getting A Job related question:

I currently work for my county, but I'm permanent part time and it's not giving me the income I need to survive. I have no problem getting a second job, however there is a county policy saying no one can be used for a reference at my job. Not personal, not professional, no one is allowed to say a word about me, my performance, my attitude, anything. My boss absolutely ADORES me, she always tells me how hard I work, this that and the other thing.

I have no references beyond this job because of a management change in my last job that absolutely hosed me. During that I worked for the census which has the same no-tell policy regarding references. Before that, I was unemployed for two years. How the hell do I get a job without current references?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
They may not be allowed to speak of your performance, but are they at least allowed to confirm that you did, in fact, work there for the past however-many months? Or is the policy seriously as strict as "you may not list your supervisor as a reference, period."? Perhaps you could list your current manager, along with a note that, due to a county government policy, your manager is not allowed to discuss your personal or professional performance?

It sounds to me like your best bet would probably be to go to your boss and ask her if there's any possible way to work this out. Since she seems so fond of you, she might be willing to try and work something out.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Gravity Pike posted:

They may not be allowed to speak of your performance, but are they at least allowed to confirm that you did, in fact, work there for the past however-many months? Or is the policy seriously as strict as "you may not list your supervisor as a reference, period."? Perhaps you could list your current manager, along with a note that, due to a county government policy, your manager is not allowed to discuss your personal or professional performance?
They'll verify that I currently work there and the dates, but that's it.

quote:

It sounds to me like your best bet would probably be to go to your boss and ask her if there's any possible way to work this out. Since she seems so fond of you, she might be willing to try and work something out.
I've already done it and got stone walled. No one will say a word about anything. I'm probably over thinking it.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 25, 2011

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

2508084 posted:

I've already done it and got stone walled. No one will say a word about anything. I'm probably over thinking it.

Have her write a letter to a friend gushing about you and copy you on it. It's not a letter of recommendation, but I suspect that most employers will accept it as such if you explain the situation.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

2508084 posted:

They'll verify that I currently work there and the dates, but that's it.

That's probably good enough. I know that many places do this in order to shield themselves from any possible not-even-very-likely chance of a lawsuit saying that they libeled you, costing you a job. Your potential employers will most likely understand this. It's not as good as a gushing review, but it's better than no references.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I'm not sure where to ask, but is is there anything like Backloggery, but for books?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
I expect this gets asked a lot, but why do I have to click Back twice on the forums? Can it be fixed? Not a major problem, it is slightly odd though.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What are you talking about? It's never happened to me.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
There's already a QCS thread on it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nuclear Spoon posted:

I expect this gets asked a lot, but why do I have to click Back twice on the forums? Can it be fixed? Not a major problem, it is slightly odd though.

I think it only happens with Firefox and it's related to how the browser handles one/some of the ads that appear on the forums. I never had a problem with it because I use Adblock Plus and their English subscriptions. If it really bugs you, then go with that.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
This question is kind of out there, but is there such a thing as a black crane? As in, the bird? I saw a black bird with long legs and a long ish neck trolling around my parent's house, and there is a lake nearby. I actually managed to run home and grab my dad's super fancy Canon camera and go back to get a picture of it. Unfortunately, it was low light and I couldn't figure out how to get the flash working on it, so I have about 5 shots that are so blurry they are unrecognizable and then one where you can barely see a black bird with long wings and legs flying away.

I ask because it seems odd that I would have found a black Swan in the central US.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
2508084, do you have any kind of formal performance reviews? If so, use the results of that. If not, ask your boss to give you a performance review and use that.

NESguerilla, I know a lot of strippers and a few of them are also prostitutes to one degree or another.

Question: I get error pages a lot when I'm trying to access youtube. Like way, way more than with any other major website. Do their servers go down a lot, or is it some kind of problem on my end?

Eyeball fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 25, 2011

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Red Crown posted:

This question is kind of out there, but is there such a thing as a black crane? As in, the bird? I saw a black bird with long legs and a long ish neck trolling around my parent's house, and there is a lake nearby. I actually managed to run home and grab my dad's super fancy Canon camera and go back to get a picture of it. Unfortunately, it was low light and I couldn't figure out how to get the flash working on it, so I have about 5 shots that are so blurry they are unrecognizable and then one where you can barely see a black bird with long wings and legs flying away.

I ask because it seems odd that I would have found a black Swan in the central US.

Could it have been a Great Blue Heron?

I only ask because in low light they can appear to be much, much darker than they actually are.

edit: see, in this picture they look nearly black: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ardea_herodias_at_the_nest_11.jpg

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
This might be better in either SH/SC or IYG, but I couldn't find a small question thread in SH/SC. Anyway, with the latest VLC (and the last few updates), DVDs play horribly interlaced, even with deinterlacing turned on. What can I do to ameliorate this.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

hooah posted:

This might be better in either SH/SC or IYG, but I couldn't find a small question thread in SH/SC. Anyway, with the latest VLC (and the last few updates), DVDs play horribly interlaced, even with deinterlacing turned on. What can I do to ameliorate this.

It's a known bug in VLC 1.1.0+ without a known solution. Unfortunately, that means the workaround is "use a different DVD-player program".

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
What's the deal with Mexicans and Dracula? It seems like just about every variety show on Telemundo has somebody dressed up like Bela Lugosi.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Long shot maybe, but does anyone here know how long a 40 Hour Radiation Safety Course certificate is good for?

My husband is looking to go back into Industrial Radiography as his current job doesn't pay enough to keep our heads above water, and his certificate is from 2005. I'm having a hard time finding out if they expire.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

How come job apps specifically ask if you are Hispanic or Latino? I find it odd that they ask for just that. Why not any other group?

I regularly choose yes, but this has been coming up a lot of times. Maybe its just paranoia, but I think I may end up putting "wish not to self identify"..

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Avocadoes posted:

How come job apps specifically ask if you are Hispanic or Latino? I find it odd that they ask for just that. Why not any other group?

I've seen them ask for other racial groups before as well.

Cantv
Sep 28, 2009
I'm a big dumb face and decided to show some coworkers that I could swallow a spoon of cinnamon, because I had done it before. I ducked up and inhaled as it entered ny mouth, filling my lungs with pain and tearing up my throat. It's currently working it's way out of my nose, and I swear through my eyeballs. Is there a way to expedite the process and return my throat to a happier place? I understand that the biggest possibility is that I just have to live with my stupid mistake for a day or so, but any advice would help.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Don't snort spices.

Cantv
Sep 28, 2009
Word. Also, I have found the best remedy so far has been blowing my nose. It's odd because it's more cinnamon than mucous, but I guess that's how I know it is working. I apparently messed up big, and it's pretty integrated into my face now. Next I have to solve a torn up throat!

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Drink lots of water. You can probably do a saline rinse by putting warm salt water in something, then squirting it in one nostril with your head sideways/down. Not entirely sure about that though.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I know cinnamon doesn't have capsicum in it, but it's the closest thing I have experience with. With capsicum, you want to drink milk. Water only makes it worse.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Milk doesn't help cinnamon, unfortunately. In some cases, it just makes it much worse.

The water suggestion was primarily to give his body lots of fluid to make mucus with, though.

Cantv
Sep 28, 2009
Yeah, I ran out of mucus a few minutes ago, so now my nose keeps freaking out every so often when I guess cinnamon is touching a dry sensor. Flooding with water now, and working on a saline solution. Thanks for all the advice!

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
How common is it for glass doors to begin cracking due to heating/cooling weather trends? I heard some crackles coming from outside and when looking out noticed tiny cracks in my glass. I'm not sure if the recent change in temperature (approx. 95 degrees two days ago to 70 right now) is enough to cause it to crack, especially since I have used pyrex in an over before.

It's entirely possible these cracks were here before though, this is an old sliding glass door in a very old, run-down fraternity house.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

ClosedBSD posted:

approx. 95 degrees two days ago to 70 right now

This didn't make your door crack.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Loopyface posted:

This didn't make your door crack.

Alright thanks, they must have been there before. I didn't think that was the problem, but wasn't sure.

Margie
Jul 1, 2009
Does anyone know anything about renovating an in ground pool? I bought a house several years ago with an old gunite pool, but I've never opened it. As a result of neglecting it, it's pretty nasty. I think I'd need to get the disgusting water pumped out, the pool replastered and maybe get some repairs to the mechanical and drainage systems. I would also like to get the decking repaired or replaced. It's a lazy l shape and it's probably around fifteen feet wide and thirty five feet long.

Can all of these things be done by a single company? About how long would you expect this to take from start to finish? Any idea about approximately how much I should expect to spend? I'm in Connecticut in case that's relevant.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Avocadoes posted:

I regularly choose yes, but this has been coming up a lot of times. Maybe its just paranoia, but I think I may end up putting "wish not to self identify"..

The answer is right on that page. It varies what they ask for (the last time I remember seeing it it had all the major racial groups), but it's regarding the Equal Employment Opportunity Act requirements. It won't affect whether or not you get hired though.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

WHEEZY HIDE A EGG posted:

Could it have been a Great Blue Heron?

I only ask because in low light they can appear to be much, much darker than they actually are.

edit: see, in this picture they look nearly black: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ardea_herodias_at_the_nest_11.jpg

Yes that looks a lot more like what I saw. Thanks!

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

ClosedBSD posted:

How common is it for glass doors to begin cracking due to heating/cooling weather trends? I heard some crackles coming from outside and when looking out noticed tiny cracks in my glass. I'm not sure if the recent change in temperature (approx. 95 degrees two days ago to 70 right now) is enough to cause it to crack, especially since I have used pyrex in an over before.

It's entirely possible these cracks were here before though, this is an old sliding glass door in a very old, run-down fraternity house.

Do the cracks look like this? Thermal-induced stress cracks.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

spixxor posted:

Long shot maybe, but does anyone here know how long a 40 Hour Radiation Safety Course certificate is good for?

My husband is looking to go back into Industrial Radiography as his current job doesn't pay enough to keep our heads above water, and his certificate is from 2005. I'm having a hard time finding out if they expire.

It looks to me, browsing around on Google, that it depends on who's doing the hiring (or on which college course you're taking) as to whether someone on the other side of the desk is going to consider his certificate "expired". You'd have to check with the prospective employer.

It also appears to depend on the individual state requirements for certification for Industrial Radiographer.

So all in all, I think you need to start with a specific job first, and then look at whether he needs to retake the course.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I have two small, and probably stupid questions!

1) What is a good program to view .gifs in? I have a bunch of them saved (mostly from the .gif thread in PYF), but somehow the only program that can open them is Quicktime, and even that opens only some of them. I tried Google, but it seems I am unable to find any other program.
2) When talking about puns, there often is a joke going like this :"I sent ten puns to a pun contest, but no pun in ten won". Or something very similar; my question is: what is the pun here?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Szurumbur posted:

I have two small, and probably stupid questions!

1) What is a good program to view .gifs in? I have a bunch of them saved (mostly from the .gif thread in PYF), but somehow the only program that can open them is Quicktime, and even that opens only some of them. I tried Google, but it seems I am unable to find any other program.

your web browser?

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Szurumbur posted:

2) When talking about puns, there often is a joke going like this :"I sent ten puns to a pun contest, but no pun in ten won". Or something very similar; my question is: what is the pun here?

"I sent ten puns to a pun contest hoping at least one would win, but no pun in ten did."

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Szurumbur posted:

The joke is wrong; 'won' should be 'did'. So it becomes 'No pun in ten did', which, said out loud, is "No pun intended."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

greazeball posted:

your web browser?

Huh, I would have never thought of that, thanks!

Disappointing egg posted:

"I sent ten puns to a pun contest hoping at least one would win, but no pun in ten did."

Golbez posted:

The joke is wrong; 'won' should be 'did'. So it becomes 'No pun in ten did', which, said out loud, is "No pun intended."

I see, thanks!

That was fast:)