Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Ratedargh posted:

10) In the Bedroom - I've owned it for years and just keep forgetting I have it.
I really loved this movie and forget about it until someone brings it up. So, I pick this for you.

Electronico6 posted:

Did not like Brief Encounter. I'm not sure why really. It looked great, but I just wasn't that interested in the affair. The horrible narration didn't help either "Everything felt gay and jolly! And we payed for brandy with just 3 piince!". Blergh. Maybe it wasn't just for me.
I really liked her voice over. I think it played into the fact that you weren't sure how to feel about the affair... it actually made you kind of root for the adulterer while at the same time, her husband was a really good guy. I also liked that it was a silent confession to her husband.

The Last Picture Show was amazing! It was everything that terrible film American Graffiti wishes that it could be. It is exactly what I love about a film. It is subtle, real, gritty, and doesn't play into the bullshit notion that the 1950's was this amazing time in American history. The soundtrack is amazing, if you love honkey-tonk music. Although, watching Cloris Leachman have sex was like having to watch your favorite Aunt have sex. I felt it did run on a little at the end, but just a bit. 8.5/10

1. Dawn of the Dead The original and supposed classic. I am not a horror fan, so I kind of avoid them like the plague.

2. The Last Picture Show What is the movie and why is it on every list?

3. Spartacus blah, blah, blah, krubik, blah, blah, blah

4. Fanny and Alexander I love me some Bergman, but haven’t seen this one yet.

5. The Great Escape Something about this movie just turns me off and I don't know what.

6. Diabolique Heard the name tossed around but I don’t know anything about it.

7. The Bridge on the River Kwai Another one that is on all the lists that I just don't care about.

8. Tout Va Bien Goddard is hit or miss with me. I always want to watch it but chicken out.

9. Mad Max I don't know what order the Mad Max movies go in, but I haven't seen any of them.

10. Kramer vs Kramer As a child of divorce, how exciting can this film be?

Watched: Mad Max(5/10), The Conversation(8/10), Tombstone(4/10), Diabolique (7/10), The Last Picture Show (8.5/10)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonnykungfu
Nov 26, 2007

York_M_Chan posted:

4. Fanny and Alexander I love me some Bergman, but haven’t seen this one yet.

Just watched it, and would recommend it to anyone. Watch the long version, because I checked out a bit of the theatrical version and it cuts out a lot of the best stuff.

Watched Fanny and Alexander.

My Criticker review:

One of the (if not THE) greatest films I've ever seen. Even at over five hours long, it never gets boring or self-indulgent, always remaining exciting, beautiful, and powerful. I didn't think Bergman had it in him to create such an accessible, yet complex piece of art. Amazing... 100/100

My list:

When a Woman Ascends the Stairs - Never seen a Naruse film. If this isn't the best place to start, give me a better option.

A Man Escaped - Saw Au Hasard Balthazar and hated it. Have avoided Bresson since.

Brand Upon the Brain!! - Love Guy Maddin, but somehow have never watched this even though I have a copy.

Elevator to the Gallows - I have yet to see a Louis Malle film (watched part of Atlantic City and turned it off, bored)

The Saragossa Manuscript - Sounds awesome, but dense as hell, so I've been putting it off.

Ulysses' Gaze - I've heard Angelopoulos is great.

Day of Wrath - I loved The Passion of Joan of Arc but couldn't get into Ordet, so I've kinda given up on Dreyer.

Nostalghia - My last Tarkovsky feature to watch. For some reason, I am hesitant to start it, even though The Mirror is my all time favorite film.

Stroszek - Got really hyped for it, watch the first bit and got piss-bored.

Fires on the Plain - Didn't care for The Burmese Harp. Figure I should eventually see this one though.

Watched: The Bad Sleep Well: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Siegfried: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild's Revenge: 75/100, Tokyo Story: 70/100, Fanny and Alexander: 100/100.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Ratedargh posted:

Salo, Or the 120 Days of Sodom - :stare: Well...that is...uh...well...I was right to be scared. It's the most vile movie I've ever seen.

At least it's not A Serbian Film. No, I have never seen either of those, nor will I.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ratedargh posted:

Question to those who have seen it and more Pasolini. How different is this to the rest of his filmography? I hate to let a filmmaker be judged entirely on one bad experience.

He didn't make a career out of people torturing each other and eating poo poo. In fact, he had quite a varied career. I recommend The Gospel According to St. Matthew, Accattone, Teorema and Mamma Roma.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

jonnykungfu posted:

Stroszek - Got really hyped for it, watch the first bit and got piss-bored.

Incidentally I'm in the same boat as you with Tarkovsky, but I'm exceedingly reluctant to watch Nostalghia because I don't really want to be finished seeing all his movies so early in my life. Thus, you are granted a fine Herzog in its stead.

Nashville: A lot of reasons I loved this perhaps escape explanation; some moments were so perfectly dry that I could never hope to verbalize why they work. Every character is either fascinating, hilarious, or both, and their synthesis into a living, wild satirical tapestry is marvelous. The British lady claiming to be making a documentary (yeah, right) is especially awkward and funny, annoying the hell out of everyone with her political incorrectness and downright ignorance about her environment. On top of that, there's a bunch of great music. I'm now a lot more inspired to seek out the majority of Altman's work. 90/100

1. The Great Dictator: I've only seen two Chaplins (Gold Rush and Modern Times) and thoroughly adored them both.

2. The Color of Pomegranites: Not much of an idea of what to expect here, but a trusted friend of mine recommends it with the highest esteem.

3. Shane: I'm trying really hard to get through the majority of these classic Westerns.

4. Forbidden Planet: I feel especially bad about this because I am really into science fiction.

5. The Americanization of Emily: I want to get my Paddy on.

6. The Hidden Fortress: Kurosawa movies tend to put me in a nice glow after watching one of his movies, and I gather that this one is no different.

7. In the Mood for Love: I have yet to react with any other fashion than complete adoration for all the Wong Kar Wai I've seen.

8. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans: Next highest on the They Shoot Pictures list.

9. Satantango: Lot of love floating around this forum for this movie.

10. Red River: I'm pretty sure I've seen this, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about it.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2, The Rules of the Game, His Girl Friday, The Wages of Fear, Rashomon, Stroszek, The French Connection, Singin' in the Rain, Cries and Whispers, Grand Illusion, Gaslight, Aliens, Wild Strawberries, Scenes from a Marriage, M, Tokyo Story, Blue Velvet, Nashville

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Kull the Conqueror The only one of those I've seen is The Great Dictator so I'd have to suggest that; if you don't get goosebumps at that speech then you're probably dead inside.

Alright, I'll start with the most shameful...

1.Godfather Trilogy - I've seen only a few minutes of one of them, and I don't even know which. I've heard the third is pretty bad, but I dunno, for some reason I've had little interest in seeing them. Nobody in my family or friends ever said anything about them either.

2.Kyouqquazutizoagoogle - trying to search for this on google is pretty funny but you know what I'm referring to. It actually seems pretty interesting, but I'm worried it might seem like a waste of time in the end since, well, there's no plot.

3.Casablanca - one of those films that's so ingrained in culture it almost as if you never actually have to see it

4.Apocalypse Now - I have no excuse. I'm sorry.

5.Brazil - I saw the ending to this on one of those 100 greatest endings lists, so go figure. I've already seen 1984 anyway, maybe I'll just imagine it with grotesque clowns instead and have the same effect :buddy:

6.Trainspotting - The favourite film of the kind of pretentious stoner/ecstasy addled raver I hate. Actively avoided it.

7.Lawrence of Arabia - Whenever I think about seeing it I feel like I have to put the whole day aside. I get the feeling it's that kind of fantastic, yet terribly boring epic contradiction.

8.Vertigo - One I've been meaning to see after watching The Pervert's guide to cinema, just haven't got round to it yet.

9.City of God - Heard great things but never even found out what it's about.

10.Bridge on the River Kwai - Kinda ruined for me, lost in the glut of films playing at 2pm on a day off school in the kitchen while my mum irons.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Aidan_702 posted:

2.Kyouqquazutizoagoogle

You must now watch Koyaanisqatsi, since it is my favorite movie, and the soundtrack alone is worth it. It was also released the year I was born, so I consider it the cinematic marker of where history was when I showed up.

1. Apocalypse Now I am never in the mood for what I've heard is a very intense movie.

2. Casablanca I'm curious about this one, because I've heard so many of the cultural references and famous lines, but I still don't have a clue what the movie is about. It's almost fun that way, so I've avoided it.

3. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest This one was spoiled for me - don't know if it's still worth seeing.

4. A Streetcar Named Desire All anyone talks about is Brando's revolutionary performance, and I think I'll just focus in on that the whole time.

5. Grave of the Fireflies Another one I never seem to be in the mood for.

jonnykungfu
Nov 26, 2007

lord funk posted:

1. Apocalypse Now I am never in the mood for what I've heard is a very intense movie.

It's tough because the first three films on your list are such must-sees, but this is probably the most weighty, rewarding of the three. Try to watch the documentary, Hearts of Darkness, if you like this.

Watched Stroszek.

My Criticker review:

Bleak, hopeless, and ultimately kinda boring film about immigration and the American dream. I love Herzog and was hoping to love this film, but I found myself looking at how long I had left every five minutes. The characters left me cold and the pacing was like molasses. However, I appreciate its style, with some experimental and compelling shots and love for the unconventional. It's worth watching if only just for the incredible ending. 70/100

My list:

When a Woman Ascends the Stairs - Never seen a Naruse film. If this isn't the best place to start, give me a better option.

A Man Escaped - Saw Au Hasard Balthazar and hated it. Have avoided Bresson since.

Brand Upon the Brain!! - Love Guy Maddin, but somehow have never watched this even though I have a copy.

Elevator to the Gallows - I have yet to see a Louis Malle film (watched part of Atlantic City and turned it off, bored)

The Saragossa Manuscript - Sounds awesome, but dense as hell, so I've been putting it off.

Day of Wrath - I loved The Passion of Joan of Arc but couldn't get into Ordet, so I've kinda given up on Dreyer.

Nostalghia - My last Tarkovsky feature to watch. For some reason, I am hesitant to start it, even though The Mirror is my all time favorite film.

Fires on the Plain - Didn't care for The Burmese Harp. Figure I should eventually see this one though.

The Son - I feel like I should give the Dardenne's a chance, but I find their style so boring.

Watched: The Bad Sleep Well: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Siegfried: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild's Revenge: 75/100, Tokyo Story: 70/100, Fanny and Alexander: 100/100, Stroszek: 70/100.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Jonnykungfu: You get "When a Woman Ascends the Stairs". It's not my favorite Naruse movie (that would be "Flowing"), but it is excellent and a good entry into Naruse.

I watched The Elephant Man, and I'm not ashamed to say that I got a little choked up a couple times watching it. I'm not a big Lynch fan, but I really liked the way this movie was put together and thought it was beautifully done.

My new list:

1. 8 1/2:
Watched the first 5 minutes, and turned it off for some reason, I think I wasn't in the right mood that night.

2. The Lives of Others:
I have never heard of it before, but it appears to have a high rating on IMDB.

3. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid:
More Paul Newman

4. City Lights:
More Chaplin

5. To Kill a Mockingbird:
Honestly I don't know much about it other then that it's a movie that exists and is supposed to be good

6. Amadeus:
I know there are multiple cuts, so if you pick this please let me know which cut a first time viewer should see.

7. In Bruges:
I know nothing about this, but it seems to be highly rated.

8. The Deer Hunter:
Just never saw it

9. Ben Hur:
Another long epic I'm afraid of

10. The Big Sleep:
More Bogey

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander, Sawdust and Tinsel, Stagecoach, Silence of the Lambs, Modern Times, Do the Right Thing, Schindler's List, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, Magnolia, La Strada, Die Hard, Persona, Aliens, The Great Escape, Cool Hand Luke, 400 Blows, Lawrence of Arabia, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Network, The Great Dictator, The Elephant Man

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

zandert33 posted:

5. To Kill a Mockingbird:
Honestly I don't know much about it other then that it's a movie that exists and is supposed to be good
Great classic.

No Country for Old Men is another fine Coen movie. Not sure I liked it more than Fargo, but it certainly was comparable. Good performances by the 3 leads, and a very good use of the setting. Good all around.

New List:

1. Fast Times at Ridgemont High - All I know is a bunch of Best Actor's came out of this film.

2. Planet of the Apes - I've probably watched about a quarter of this movie including the ending. I've never seen it all the way through.

3. V for Vendetta - I've always associated it with Sin City although now that I've seen Sin City it's probably much different.

4. The Departed - Most recent best picture I haven't seen.

5. Rebecca - Hitchcock's best picture film. Like most everything else that's not recent on this list, I'm going in blind.

6. The Graduate - All I knew is Dustin Hoffman, "Mrs. Robinson are you trying to seduce me", and Simon and Garfunkel.

7. Stand by Me - Seems to be liked by everyone I know. What I know is that it's supposed to be a Goonies-esque coming of age type of adventure movie.

8. City Lights - Highest top 250 movie I haven't seen and a nice reappearance of Chaplin.

9. Wild Strawberries - Have never seen a Bergman film (I know, I know).

10. Rashomon - Another Kurosawa classic.

Watched Count 77: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10, On the Waterfront 7.5/10, Platoon 8/10, Annie Hall 7.5/10, Patton 7.5/10, Harvey 6/10, Nikita 5.5/10, Yojimbo 8/10, How to Train Your Dragon 7.5/10, To Kill a Mockingbird 10/10, This is Spinal Tap 11/11, Fargo 8/10, Sin City 8.5/10, Wayne's World 7/10, A Streetcar Named Desire 5/10, Barton Fink 8/10, Slumdog Millionaire 8/10, No Country for Old Men 8/10

jonnykungfu
Nov 26, 2007

marioinblack posted:

10. Rashomon - Another Kurosawa classic.

Fantastic film.

Watched When a Woman Ascends the Stairs.

My Criticker review:

Combines a muted drama similar to Ozu with an urban "cool" and noir narration from New Wave Cinema. Very touching, understated film. Naruse seems to understand his characters better than most directors, making their motivations and emotions immediately clear even when his direction and storytelling are often quiet and subtle. A film that I wouldn't want to watch often, but succeeds brilliantly at what it aims to be. 85/100

My list:

The Son - I feel like I should give the Dardenne's a chance, but I find their style so boring.

Kagemusha - Criterion sale blind buy. I love Kurosawa, though, so I'm sure I'll love this.

Watched: The Bad Sleep Well: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Siegfried: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild's Revenge: 75/100, Tokyo Story: 70/100, Fanny and Alexander: 100/100, Stroszek: 70/100, When a Woman Ascends the Stairs: 85/100.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
jonnykungfu, you're watching Nostalghia. It ties Stalker for my favorite Tarkovsky for reasons I can't explain, but as you love The Mirror, I think you'll like it as well. It has that same sense of being imperfect and overwhelming all at once.

Bringing Up Baby - The screwball comedy rhythm: character gag, confusion/repetition gag, character gag, confusion/repetition gag, repeat ad infinitum. The former are funny and end on a high, the latter are funny and continue to the point of annoyance. The good screwballs (as here) draw enough forward momentum from their casts' energy that you can charge on through the telegraphed punchlines to ride the highs. I really wish Cary Grant would've shown more of the energy in the "I just went gay all of a sudden!" moment during his career. For a split second there, it was like he'd lept forward in time by 30 years. And if Hepburn's character is a Manic Pixie Dream Girl, it's the most bearable for being composed primarily of "Manic," rather than "Dream." 8/10

Updated:

3. City Lights - I've only ever seen The Great Dictator, but it was years ago. Bad, I know. I do love Buster Keaton. *Have now seen Modern Times, as well

6. L'atalante - I love visually creative silent films, and the couple of scenes I saw in a documentary once were gorgeous.

8. Sansho the Bailiff - Ugetsu blew me away; I've been meaning to explore some more Mizoguchi.

10. Sunrise - Note for #6 applies here, too.

11. My Darling Clementine - The ever-promising 3 F's: Ford, Fonda, and...Walter Brennan, I guess.

12. Stagecoach - Another, more obvious Ford. I've held off on this because the images I've seen make it look less visually striking than his later work, but that's not really fair, I guess.

16. Greed - I've never seen a von Stroheim film, and the story behind its production is fascinating, but I've never really been compelled to give it a go.

17. Amarcord – And I call myself a fan of Fellini.

18. Pather Panchali – Big fan of the Satyajit Ray I've seen, so, yeah, I should probably begin at the beginning.

19. Children of Paradise - I've avoided this based on the comparisons to Gone with the Wind, which I was less than enthused by, but on the list it goes. I'm finishing the TSPDT Top 100 if it kills me.

Mission accomplished: The Godfather Part II - 9/10, Some Like it Hot - 9/10, The Battle of Algiers - 9.5/10, Double Indemnity – 9.5/10, Lawrence of Arabia – 9/10, Jaws - 8/10, Modern Times - 9/10, Nashville - 9/10, Bringing Up Baby - 8/10

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:
I loving loved Annie Hall. Really kicking myself for not seeing it earlier. A lot of my own writing and art have themes in common with Woody Allen's works, so it's nice seeing a filmmaker to whom I can relate so much. Plus I happen to be going through an awful post-break-up period (that started out with us trying very hard to remain friends) with a girl I loved dearly, and am currently at the point where I'm looking back on various moments with a strange mix of fondness and retrospective anxiety, so this film definitely spoke to me on a personal level. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

1. Any Robert Altman film: Better start out with the most shameful. I'm from Kansas City and still haven't seen a single one of his films. Figured I'd start with either Nashville or Gosford Park, but I'm open to any suggestions.
2. Network: Lumet has the potential to be one of my favorite filmmakers, so I should definitely see his magnum opus. Been meaning to see it for ages now.
3. The Last Picture Show: I know nothing about this film, but I've been wanting to see it for a while. I think I just like the title a lot.
4. 12 Monkeys: Brazil is probably my favorite film, so I owe it to myself to watch more Gilliam. I even liked Tideland, so I'm pretty sure I can't dislike anything he directed.
5. Sunset Blvd.: I really like the idea of noir, but the ones I've seen haven't really grabbed me so far. Willing to give the genre one last chance with one of its best.
6. Rear Window or North by Northwest: I saw Psycho when I was a wee lad, but haven't ever been compelled to watch anything else by Hitchcock.
7. The Seventh Seal: I don't think Bergman is for me, but I'm going to give him another shot. Also, decided Persona should wait until after his less experimental stuff.
8. A Woman is a Woman: Loved Breathless, need to find out if I'm a Godard person or a Truffaut person.
9. Jules and Jim: Same reason as #8, but replace Breathless with The 400 Blows.
10. The Rules of the Game: I don't really know anything about it other than its reputation.

Aorist, watch Pather Panchali. It's the only Ray I've seen, but it's fantastic.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Naked City isn't the masterpiece the show is, but it's really good. Barry Fitzgerald is awesome and the semi-realistic camerawork is gorgeous. Does anyone remember Caz Dolowicz from Pelham 123? The guy who goes down to investigate why the train is stopped? He pops in for like one scene in this and it immediately recognizable 30 years younger, because of his weirdass cartoon voice. There's a few crucial minor characters - like the dead girl's mother - who really needed a better actor.

dreadnought, you're overdue for Rear Window.

New list:

Le Trou Never enough escape films.

Beware of a Holy Whore Cult Fassbinder hit?

Night Moves I've been meaning to watch this since Arthur Penn died, but haven't gotten to it.

new: Sling Blade I know surprisingly little about this one.

I Know Where I'm Going! Really gotta get to work on P&P.

The Ninth Configuration I keep getting real adamant about watching this, and then it fizzles out in like ten minutes.

Toto, Peppino e la malafemmina Italian comedy doesn't do it for me, but Terrence Malick of all people loves this one. Certainly worth a try.

Body Heat I got nothin'

Montenegro or Sweet Movie I loved WR and the Eclipse set, but I've avoided Sweet Movie because I heard it sucks and Montenegro because the poster is crap.

Barfly I'm a big Bukowski fan which, actually, is why I keep avoiding this.

Finished from this thread:
Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10), The Champ (7/10), Red Beard (8.5/10), Rendez-vous d'Anna (8/10), Two Thousand Maniacs! (7/10), The Old Dark House (7.5/10), The Tarnished Angels (8/10), Ordet (9/10), Pigs and Battleships (8/10), The Naked City (8/10)

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

penismightier posted:

The Ninth Configuration I keep getting real adamant about watching this, and then it fizzles out in like ten minutes.

Let's go with this one.

The Taking of Pelham 123 was a pretty wild ride. It hits all the right spots, some great acting, good old fashioned story telling and a tense setting. It's a pretty fun and well made movie, well worth the watch. Gotta also mentioned that the soundtrack is amazing.

My Shame List:

Annie Hall I like Woody Allen as the Musician, shall I like him as the Filmmaker?

Red Beard The last movie Kurosawa did with Mifune.

Cape Fear I did not care much for the Scorsese remake. Hoping this will be better.

Suspicion Last Cary Grant-Hitchcock collaboration.(Actually the first)

Through a Glass Darkly The first of the Bergman Chamber Trilogy.

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover Lot of praise for this one recently.

Barry Lyndon Only Kubrik left for me to watch.

Cross of Iron Down with the cowboy hat up with the soldiers helmet.

The Name of the Rose Sean Connery, Monk Detective.

Lost in La Mancha The horrors of cursed film making.

Have seen so far 90 movies: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence, Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan, The Conversation, La Règle du Jeu, Serpico, Fantasia, Shane, Get Carter, Grizzly Man, Bonnie and Clyde, To Kill a Mockingbird, Stray Dog, This Film is Not Yet Rated, Gone with the Wind, Rebecca, Ikiru, Brief Encounter, The Taking of Pelham 123.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Nice, I get to recommend Annie Hall three times in a row.

Naked was amazing. Most of the characters were completely repulsive (especially Johnny) but by the end became somewhat sympathetic. The acting was phenomenal throughout, and Johnny was a very interesting character. 5/5

Andrei Rublev
On the most lists and next on TSPDT. I know nothing about this other than that it is Tarkovsky and long.
Safe
Other Todd Haynes/Julianne Moore movie. This one sounds much better.
71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance
Haneke noooooo. Recommended to me earlier in this thread.
Tout Va Bien
I like Godard.
Picnic at Hanging Rock
I remember hearing this was a good Australian film.
Next on TSPDT's 21st Century list. I saw In the Mood for Love so long ago that I can barely remember it. I'm assuming it's not necessary viewing for this?
A Zed and Two Noughts
I heard some talk of this on the forums here. It sounds interesting.
A Short Film About Killing
I'm having trouble motivating myself to finish The Decalogue, even though I've liked what I've seen before.
I am Cuba
I hear that this has some amazing camera work. I've seen the pool scene (the one recreated in Boogie Nights) which does nothing to convince me otherwise.
A Matter of Life and Death
I like the Archers, I hear this is one of their best.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Andrei Rublev
On the most lists and next on TSPDT. I know nothing about this other than that it is Tarkovsky and long.

A very long Russian movie is what you need right now!

All those years of watching Woody Allen impressions don't really match up to the real thing. Annie Hall was both funny and clever, with a real and meaningful message beneath it all. Seems like most RomComs this movie spawned only got the part "Weird dude hooks up with hot girl", and forgot everything else.(Being funny too) The 4th wall breaks, the splitscreens and other neat tricks through out the movie, give the movie another edge and a distinct style.

My Shame List:

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? I know nothing of this one, other than it's famous.

Cape Fear I did not care much for the Scorsese remake. Hoping this will be better.

Have seen so far 91 movies: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence, Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan, The Conversation, La Règle du Jeu, Serpico, Fantasia, Shane, Get Carter, Grizzly Man, Bonnie and Clyde, To Kill a Mockingbird, Stray Dog, This Film is Not Yet Rated, Gone with the Wind, Rebecca, Ikiru, Brief Encounter, The Taking of Pelham 123, Annie Hall.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 29, 2011

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Electronico6 posted:

All those years of watching Woody Allen impressions don't really match up to the real thing. Annie Hall was both funny and clever, with a real and meaningful message beneath it all. Seems like most RomComs this movie spawned only got the part "Weird dude hooks up with hot girl", and forgot everything else.(Being funny too) The 4th wall breaks, the splitscreens and other neat tricks through out the movie, give the movie another edge and a distinct style.

I'm so glad to see people discovering Woody Allen. As far as well known directors go, he's an anomaly. Everyone knows of him, but a disappointingly/surprisingly small percentage have actually seen his work. Very much an under-appreciated filmmaker.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Electronico6 posted:

It's certainly unique!

Nights of Cabiria - It was only until the movie was nearly over that I really got invested in Masina's Cabiria. I didn't really like the episodic nature of the film. Cabiria's constant struggles and failures just weren't that interesting to me, for the most part. The ending was truly great at least.

Also watched The Rules of the Game. I loved it, the way the characters interact with each other is very entertaining. The class dynamic just add another layer to it.

1. Pather Panchali - Only experience with Ray was a very low quality DVD of The Music Room. I liked it a lot.

2. Tokyo Story - I think I might have a problem appreciating muted emotions in movies. I might have a hard time watching this.

3. Punch-Drunk Love - Might as well put up something more recent.

4. Mean Streets - Love Scorsese, but I've heard people say that this is too similar to Taxi Driver but not nearly as good. That's okay, even if it isn't half as good as Taxi Driver it'll still be a good film.

5. Rio Bravo - John Wayne seemed like he was a real rear end in a top hat. Maybe I'll enjoy some of his films anyway.

6. The Graduate - I can't really get excited to watch this for some reason.

7. The Rules of the Game Seven - Saw the ending on TV and didn't realize it, oh well. I should probably watch the rest of it.

8. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Don't really know how I managed to avoid this for so long, not even ever seeing it on TV.

9. Nights of Cabiria The Hustler - Paul Newman is aweeeesooommmeee.

10. Brief Encounter - Haven't seen that many movies from the 40's. A David Lean film that isn't a sprawling adventure sounds interesting.

Watched(Score/100): The Seventh Seal 95, Moon 84, Barton Fink 95, The Thin Blue Line 86, Cool Hand Luke 87, Citizen Kane 96, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 91, Rear Window 94, North by Northwest 86, Goodfellas 97, Casablanca 95, City Lights 81, Seven Samurai 92, Bicycle Thieves 88, Do the Right Thing 95, The Battle of Algiers 86, On the Waterfront 78, Wild Strawberries 94, The Trial 91, Adaptation 89, Unforgiven 91, Annie Hall 86, The 400 Blows 88, Diabolique 80, Mulholland Dr. 98, Dirty Harry 60, The 39 Steps 82, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 92, 8 1/2 85, Boogie Nights 88, A Streetcar Named Desire 77, Raiders of the Lost Ark 92, The General 87, Pickpocket 74, Pulp Fiction 96, Amadeus 88, Lawrence of Arabia 92, Eraserhead 84, The Lady Vanishes 84, The Wild Bunch 83, A Clockwork Orange 79, Platoon 76, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 85, Ikiru 91, Jules and Jim 92, The Asphalt Jungle 81, M 86, The Thin Red Line 86, Dial M for Murder 85, The Sting 81, Once Upon a Time in the West 86, The Exterminating Angel 85, A Woman Under the Influence 96, Singin' in the Rain 85, Scenes from a Marriage 93, Badlands 85, City of God 91, The Gold Rush 74, The Maltese Falcon 86, The Conformist 87, The Shawshank Redemption 83, High and Low 90, It's a Wonderful Life 75, Days of Heaven 87, Le Samourai 71, The Night of the Hunter 91, Metropolis 93, The New World 86, Persona 81, Manhattan 86, Some Like It Hot 78, The Rules of the Game 91, Nights of Cabiria 75

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Athiestdeals.com, watch The Graduate because it's excellent.

Life of Brian - Not quite as hilarious as Holy Grail but still quite funny. I love Monty Python's random, nonsensical humor and this movie has it in spades. This also works as a great satire on religion and those who follow mindlessly. Some of the dialog is difficult to understand, so it's possible I missed some of the jokes. Definitely a movie I wouldn't mind watching again. 81/100

I also went ahead and watched The Kid - The best part of this by far is the little kid. He's so cute and funny and I love how he and Chaplin interact together. Overall though I didn't find this one as funny as The Gold Rush or Modern Times, as interesting as The Great Dictator, nor as heartwarming as City Lights. It's lightly humorous, fairly entertaining and thoroughly watchable, but not one of Chaplin's best. I would like to take a look at the longer cut and see if my opinion changes at all. 79/100

New list:

Cinema Paradiso - I know very little about this.

On the Waterfront - I like Marlon Brando, so I have no hesitation to see this.

Witness for the Prosecution - I know nothing about this one.

The Grapes of Wrath - Sounds great. It's just never been on my radar.

Ben-Hur - I'll be honest, I'm not looking forward to this one very much. Looks a tad hokey from the little I've seen, and it's very long.

The Secret in their eyes - Mark this one as another I have absolutely no clue about.

The Big Sleep - Bogart, Bacall and Hawks? Count me in.

The Manchurian Candidate - I've seen the remake but not the original. For shame.

How to Train Your Dragon - I knew going by the IMDB top 250 would eventually bite me in the rear end. Maybe this will be good?...

Judgment at Nuremberg - This looks intense and interesting.

Watched (scores out of 100):
12 Angry Men(96) All About Eve(85) Spirited Away(85) Once Upon a Time in the West(95) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington(85) The Bridge on the River Kwai(94) Touch of Evil(89) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(93) Princess Mononoke(72) Life is Beautiful(91) Ran(92) Das Boot(92) Downfall(70) It Happened One Night(77) Cool Hand Luke(90) The Great Dictator(82) Grave of the Fireflies(67) Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans(84) The Apartment(96) The Wages of Fear(94) The Kid(79) Life of Brian(81)

Turada
Jun 17, 2006

On a mission from God
I'm on a mission to watch a whole lot of 'top' movies that I've never seen here and then review them here: http://ithasbeesinit.blogspot.com/p/movie-project.html This thread seems like fun so I'll pick ten from that list at random, and I have a related question someone can hopefully answer: Is there a thread on this forum suitable to post what I write? TFD & this thread seem focused on shorter synopses rather than reviews. I just want more people to tell me what I think about movies is wrong and terrible :(.

caiman: Watch How To Train Your Dragon because I'm also going by the iMDB Top 250 and have to watch that at some point!

1. The Third Man - I know it's referenced in Battle Royale, and that's it.

2. Lawrence of Arabia - It's a friends favourite movie that I've never seen.

3. The Sting - One of many on the list I have no idea about.

4. High Noon - I don't get Westerns.

5. Gone With The Wind - Four. Hours.

6. The Thing - Embarassing for a fan of horror.

7. Network - I feel like I know enough about this to not gain anything from watching it.

8. Infernal Affairs - I've seen The Departed, why watch this?

9. Patton - A war movie (bad) about a racist (worse).

10. Howl's Moving Castle - I don't dislike anime, I just never really got into it.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Turada posted:

I'm on a mission to watch a whole lot of 'top' movies that I've never seen here and then review them here: http://ithasbeesinit.blogspot.com/p/movie-project.html This thread seems like fun so I'll pick ten from that list at random, and I have a related question someone can hopefully answer: Is there a thread on this forum suitable to post what I write? TFD & this thread seem focused on shorter synopses rather than reviews. I just want more people to tell me what I think about movies is wrong and terrible :(.

This is the closet thing to what you want.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3184582&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=83

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Turada posted:

You can post long reviews here - I don't think anyone would mind - but you tend to get more discussion and debate in the Rate the Latest Movie You've Watched thread.

EDIT: Dang. Beaten.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Turada, prepare to let The Thing spoil you for horror flicks forever.

I just watched Manhunter and I loved it. Michael Mann's meticulous style goes so well with a detective story it's unbelievable. Mann's cinematography elevates the movie above what the plot would suggest is a garden variety detective story. I loved the rural, weathered look of Dolarhyde's hideout, the idyllic beach where Graham lived and its all-white interior, and the towering facility where Lecter was kept (which is an art museum in real life).

Although the film appears dated, I actually liked the 80s-ness of it since Mann's talents play off that Miami Vice look of his so well. It feels weird seeing Brian Cox play Lecter or seeing Chris Elliott in anything serious, but Petersen did an excellent job; I can see why his starring role in CSI was such a big deal. I probably loved this movie almost as much as Silence of the Lambs. Now all that's left is to watch Red Dragon (and Hannibal Rising, I suppose).

I also knocked out Dirty Harry, which I also loved. The frequent panning shots make the cinematography seem dynamic, showing off San Francisco while maintaining that gritty, visceral 70s look. Although I am in the utleast agreement with the film's far-right message—or with Harry being allowed to pack .44 Magnum rounds—I was still impressed with the way the writers used the changing legal landscape in conjunction with the relatively spindly, slimy Scorpio Killer to give the old school protagonist a legitimate challenge. I don't think it was really necessary to have Harry do the "do you feel lucky" thing twice, although I see why they did. Other than that, it was a great story that was greatly enjoyable to watch.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors; Vertigo; 12 Angry Men; Pierrot le Fou; Where Eagles Dare; Kagemusha; The Terminator; The Battleship Potemkin; The Bicycle Thief; The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert; The Constant Gardener; Walkabout; 3:10 to Yuma; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; Aliens; Rain Man; Xich Lo; Akira; Jules et Jim; Johnny Guitar; Rocky Horror Picture Show; The Thin Blue Line; The Thin Red Line; Blackmail; Slacker; The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover; Terminator 2; Blazing Saddles; The Thin Man; Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!; Sideways; Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia; L'Avventura; Gone With the Wind; Blue; White; Red; Primer; Schindler's List; Network; Beverly Hills Cop; Sweet Sweetback's Baadassss Song; A Night at the Opera; Celine and Julie Go Boating; Night of the Living Dead; Chinatown; Carlito's Way; Requiem for a Dream; The Holy Mountain; Strange Days; Kramer vs. Kramer; When Harry Met Sally…; Irréversible; Tampopo; The White Ribbon; Caro Diario; The Natural; Rosemary's Baby; Mishima; Strictly Ballroom; Splendor in the Grass; Das Boot; My Left Foot; An American Werewolf in London; Dirty Harry; Manhunter

The Conversation: I've only seen 3/5 of John Cazale's short but insanely amazing career.
The Dead: I'm interested in the interplay between John and Anjelica Huston, even if they're on opposite sides of the camera.
Dead Man: It's the only Jarmusch film I've tried watching. I didn't make it all the way through. It deserves another chance.
Fish Tank: (2009) I do not know a thing about this movie except that everyone who sees it apparently thinks really, really hard about it afterward.
Kiss of the Spider Woman: Julia Carpenter's such a badass! I'm so excited about seeing this movie where Spider-Woman takes on such foes as Doc Ock and… This isn't what I think it is, is it?
Mon Oncle: I watched M. Hulot's Holiday recently and I greatly enjoyed it. I haven't seen anything else with Hulot and I'm pretty inexperienced with films about uncles.
Moonstruck: It's been too long since the last time I saw Nicolas Cage act the gently caress out of something new.
Raise the Red Lantern: Randomly-picked movie that coincides with my interest in Chinese cinema.
Videodrome: Anything this weird directed by Cronenberg needs seeing.
Uzak: :zombie: I've never seen a Turkish film.

penismightier posted:

Why's it have to be just one or the other?
I don't mean to say that it does; more that I just didn't understand why certain scenes were in the movie or what they were trying to evoke or explain. For some reason, An American Werewolf in London just didn't click with me at all when I watched it. I'll probably rewatch it since it's easy to rewatch, being on Netflix Instant, and I feel like I missed something.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

CloseFriend posted:

I don't mean to say that it does; more that I just didn't understand why certain scenes were in the movie or what they were trying to evoke or explain.

Which in particular are you thinking of?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CloseFriend, Videodrome is brilliant.

How To Train Your Dragon - The story and characters are pretty by-the-numbers, but I can't deny how fresh and exciting the animation is. The dragon designs are especially fun. The dragons and the people have a real sense of weight to them, making the flying scenes breathtaking. This isn't one of the best animated films I've seen (just a bit too predictable and safe for my tastes) but it did beat my expectations. For children's entertainment, you could do a lot, lot worse. 75/100

New list:

Cinema Paradiso - I know very little about this.

On the Waterfront - I like Marlon Brando, so I have no hesitation to see this.

Witness for the Prosecution - I know nothing about this one.

The Grapes of Wrath - Sounds great. It's just never been on my radar.

Ben-Hur - I'll be honest, I'm not looking forward to this one very much. Looks a tad hokey from the little I've seen, and it's very long.

The Secret in their eyes - Mark this one as another I have absolutely no clue about.

The Big Sleep - Bogart, Bacall and Hawks? Count me in.

The Manchurian Candidate - I've seen the remake but not the original. For shame.

Judgment at Nuremberg - This looks intense and interesting.

The Night of the Hunter - I didn't even know Charles Laughton directed a movie. Now I'm very interested in this one.

Watched (scores out of 100):
12 Angry Men(96) All About Eve(85) Spirited Away(85) Once Upon a Time in the West(95) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington(85) The Bridge on the River Kwai(94) Touch of Evil(89) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(93) Princess Mononoke(72) Life is Beautiful(91) Ran(92) Das Boot(92) Downfall(70) It Happened One Night(77) Cool Hand Luke(90) The Great Dictator(82) Grave of the Fireflies(67) Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans(84) The Apartment(96) The Wages of Fear(94) The Kid(79) Life of Brian(81) How To Train Your Dragon(75)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The Ninth Configuration is awful. Blatty has no ear for dialogue, which is too bad because the visual style is terrific. It's such a writer's movie - the dialogue is all self-indulgent and dully metaphorical. Everyone and everything is just so loving self-consciously quirky. The rambling religious debate never approaches interesting or accurate, let alone shocking like it's played. Also, the goddamn biker bar scene is just embarrassing to watch - "let's play beachball!" is the best they could do?

Caiman, enjoy The Grapes of Wrath.

New list:

Le Trou Never enough escape films.

Beware of a Holy Whore Cult Fassbinder hit?

Night Moves I've been meaning to watch this since Arthur Penn died, but haven't gotten to it.

Sling Blade I know surprisingly little about this one.

I Know Where I'm Going! Really gotta get to work on P&P.

new: The Mystery of Picasso I like Picasso and I like Clouzot. Let's do it.

Toto, Peppino e la malafemmina Italian comedy doesn't do it for me, but Terrence Malick of all people loves this one. Certainly worth a try.

Body Heat I got nothin'

Montenegro or Sweet Movie I loved WR and the Eclipse set, but I've avoided Sweet Movie because I heard it sucks and Montenegro because the poster is crap.

Barfly I'm a big Bukowski fan which, actually, is why I keep avoiding this.

Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10), The Champ (7/10), Red Beard (8.5/10), Rendez-vous d'Anna (8/10), Two Thousand Maniacs! (7/10), The Old Dark House (7.5/10), The Tarnished Angels (8/10), Ordet (9/10), Pigs and Battleships (8/10), The Naked City (8/10), The Ninth Configuration (4/10)

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

penismightier, the only movie I've seen on your list is Le Trou, but I couldn't recommend it more highly if you're looking for an escape movie.

Persona absolutely drew me in from the opening, and never let go. Both Ullmann and Andersson were fantastic playing off of each other, the textures and contrasts that Bergman set up in black and white were amazing, and I was nearly constantly thrown off-guard by so many parts of the plot. There were so many iconic shots that I realized had been reused by other movies that I had no idea about. 10/10

Also since the last list, I saw The Sting. Redford and Shaw were great in it, but I was a little underwhelmed by Newman compared to my expectations coming in. I loved how 1930s the set, the costumes, and the title cards were, and The Entertainer fit the feel of it all even if it was overused and not really period-appropriate. A few parts were kind of eye-roll worthy, like Luther's speech about how this was his last con and he was retiring and the resolution to it all, but it was still really enjoyable and really fun. On a personal note, the best part of it for me was the fact that my dad has used the nose-swipe as a secret signal since I was a little kid, and I had no idea it was from something. 9/10

1. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I'm aware of the basic plot outline and feel like I already know R.P. McMurphy and Nurse Ratched despite never seeing a minute of the actual film. I guess because of that passing familiarity I never was motivated to actually watch it.

2. All About Eve - This is really in place in a thread called SHAMEFUL, but I only know about the famous "Fasten your seatbelts" line and that Showgirls was a modern retelling of this. For me, Bette Davis is Baby Jane Hudson since my parents watched Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? at least once a year for as long as I can remember. (I really wish I could have a transcript of them explaining the plot to 6-year old me, I remember thinking they were supposed to be playing themselves as children, not aged versions of themselves) I am literally going into this expecting Baby Jane channeling Nomi Malone and keeping an eye out for 50s Kyle MacLachlan analogue.

3. Raging Bull - Until I saw Taxi Driver, for some reason I got the two movies mixed up whenever one was referenced, like I thought Jake LaMotta would be saying "You talking to me?" into the mirror.

4. Bringing Up Baby - After Charade (plus Arsenic and Old Lace before my first list) I want to remedy the fact that I really haven't seen that many non-Hitchcock Cary Grant movies, plus Criticker's saying I'll rank it 100.

5. Double Indemnity - At the top of basically every film noir list I've seen, I know only the most basic outline of a plot so I'm going in expecting a two-conspirator version of the Dial M for Murder scheme.

6. Celine and Julie Go Boating - Again going off of Criticker recommendations, of all of the things in my remembered films lists projected for 100 rankings, I know the absolute least about it. The extent of my knowledge is that there are characters named Celine and Julie, and that they probably do things on a boat.

7. The Graduate - Basically the same as One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, I know the main characters, the basic plot outline, the plastics line, and the wedding scene.

8. Gone with the Wind - What I've heard about the length and racism plus how ubiquitous references to it are have been pretty huge deterrents. Why did I put this on the list again?

9. Inland Empire - Obviously the outlier on the list, I got about an hour in when I tried to watch it last year and just dropped out for some reason I don't even remember. Since then, I really haven't been that eager to re-experience the first hour of Inland Empire for obvious reasons, but I'm a huge Lynch fan and feel like I really should watch it in one sitting.

10. Three Colors: Red - I can't believe I forgot this for my first list, I absolutely loved Blue and thoroughly enjoyed White despite its flaws. I've heard that this is generally regarded as the best in the trilogy, and it has a lot to live up to with Blue.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Badlands, while the least overtly "Malick" film of Terrence Malick's filmography, heavily bears his stylistic stamp. It's his tightest film, probably even more so than Days Of Heaven, featuring his usual eccentricities in a toned-down form (e.g., the narration mostly serves the narrative). Spacek and Sheen give pretty spectacular performances, Sheen's mindless, careless killer is by turns frightening and friendly and Spacek's innocence is a little bit heartbreaking. The cinematography (and Jack Fisk design) definitely foreshadows the style that would eventually become inimitable. I hope Criterion puts out a release of this, the current DVD is pretty atrocious, featuring the usual blimpy grain that comes with edge enhancement.

8/10

SHAAAAAAME

1) Howards End - I'm going to watch every Criterion Blu-Ray, dammit, no matter how boring they look.

2) Hiroshima mon amour - I was perplexed by but really loved Last Year At Marienbad. I'm not really sure what this is about but it's the most interesting-looking movie next on TSPDT.

3) All About Eve - Well, Netflix doesn't have the Blu-Ray, but it's next on TSPDT and I've heard good things.

4) Secret Honor - I love Robert Altman and I love Richard Nixon (as a subject), and I've heard endless good things about this.

5) Viridiana - Next on the TSPDT list. I've only seen two Buñuels, one I was too dumb to appreciate at the time and the other I loved.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) Bringing Up Baby - My film professor told me to watch this once and I didn't for some reason. Apparently it has Cary Grant and a baby tiger?

9) In The Mood For Love - I loved Chungking Express and apparently this is also really good. So yeah.

10) The Magic Flute - This has been in my Netflix since I was like 13. I love this opera and I love Ingmar Bergman.

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10, Through A Glass Darkly 10/10, On The Waterfront 6/10, The Straight Story 9/10, Lawrence Of Arabia 8.5/10, Dial M For Murder, 8/10 Winter Light 10/10, The Silence 9/10, Badlands 8/10 (total: 37)

Power Of Pecota, enjoy Inland Empire. Also, do you have a planned source for Celine And Julie? I really want to see that but Netflix doesn't carry it and the DVD's basically unavailable.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Power Of Pecota, enjoy Inland Empire. Also, do you have a planned source for Celine And Julie? I really want to see that but Netflix doesn't carry it and the DVD's basically unavailable.

I didn't think to check if it was on Netflix, I had just assumed the DVD was at least available. Looking around turned up a pretty good quality upload on youtube here as a last resort, although it is split up into ~10 minute parts.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

9) In The Mood For Love - I loved Chungking Express and apparently this is also really good. So yeah.

I think you going to like this one.

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover is really quite something. I did like it a lot and consider me blown away by it. A very visceral experience from start to finish. Visually stunning with its sets and I loved the way it used the colour for each setting and the clothing changed with it. Not really sure what the point of it was, but it looked amazing. Michael Gambon performance was brilliant from start to finish and despite how perfect the other three leads are, Gambon is just everywhere.(In the good sense) Such a vile and despicable, yet memorable character. It just stays with you.

Also special mention to the beautiful music.

My Shame List:

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? I know nothing of this one, other than it's famous.

Do the Right Thing Gus from Breaking Bad is in this.

Have seen so far 92 movies: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence, Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan, The Conversation, La Règle du Jeu, Serpico, Fantasia, Shane, Get Carter, Grizzly Man, Bonnie and Clyde, To Kill a Mockingbird, Stray Dog, This Film is Not Yet Rated, Gone with the Wind, Rebecca, Ikiru, Brief Encounter, The Taking of Pelham 123, Annie Hall,The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, And Her Lover is generally read as a treatise against aggressive, sideswiping governmental tactics (Spica is essentially Greenaway taking a big, necessary poo poo all over Margaret Thatcher). The story's so good that it's not totally necessary to understand the subtext, but there's definitely a vicious undercurrent. I think it's one of the most vitriolic films I've ever seen.

Turada
Jun 17, 2006

On a mission from God
Electronico6: Watch Barry Lyndon. Haven't seen it yet, but have watched a few Kubrick films recently, and finishing something is always good.

CloseFriend posted:

Turada, prepare to let The Thing spoil you for horror flicks forever.

Also here with slightly more words

I'm not sure what you intended by this. I watched The Thing and was pretty unimpressed throughout. It starts off so strong - being isolated is terrifying, plus a mad Norwegian flying in and trying to kill your pets. But nothing happens for so long. I wasn't scared, or horrified, this was not a horror movie for me. There was a definite improvement in the final third - right around when the character runs for the axe, and there's a stand off, then Russell becomes leader but this was just too long to wait for it to kick into gear. Their apparent total disregard for any kind of safety procedure was ridiculous, at least one character mentions that a single particle can begin the transformation process and yet nobody attempts even basic hygiene around the dog-things/humans.

Even disregarding the transformation scenes, I don't understand what was horrifying about the Thing itself, so two points. Firstly - what's the endgame? It copies all humans and....then what? Secondly, I wanted to throw my notebook at the screen when they started talking about the difference between copies and 'real' humans, at least they didn't mention a soul, or a 'real inner self' or anything else that usually comes up in scenes like that. One of the only scenes that really worked for me was when one character's stomach transformed into a gaping maw, I definitely screamed a little bit.

4/10

1. The Third Man - I know it's referenced in Battle Royale, and that's it.

2. Lawrence of Arabia - It's a friends favourite movie that I've never seen.

3. The Sting - One of many on the list I have no idea about.

4. High Noon - I don't get Westerns.

5. Gone With The Wind - Four. Hours.

6. Kind Hearts And Coronets - I think this is the one where Alec Guinness plays every part.

7. Network - I feel like I know enough about this to not gain anything from watching it.

8. Infernal Affairs - I've seen The Departed, why watch this?

9. Patton - A war movie (bad) about a racist (worse).

10. Howl's Moving Castle - I don't dislike anime, I just never really got into it.

The Thing (4/10),

Turada fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 2, 2011

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Turada posted:

I'm not sure what you intended by this. I watched The Thing and was pretty unimpressed throughout. It starts off so strong - being isolated is terrifying, plus a mad Norwegian flying in and trying to kill your pets. But nothing happens for so long. I wasn't scared, or horrified, this was not a horror movie for me. There was a definite improvement in the final third - right around when the character runs for the axe, and there's a stand off, then Russell becomes leader but this was just too long to wait for it to kick into gear. Their apparent total disregard for any kind of safety procedure was ridiculous, at least one character mentions that a single particle can begin the transformation process and yet nobody attempts even basic hygiene around the dog-things/humans.

Even disregarding the transformation scenes, I don't understand what was horrifying about the Thing itself, so two points. Firstly - what's the endgame? It copies all humans and....then what? Secondly, I wanted to throw my notebook at the screen when they started talking about the difference between copies and 'real' humans, at least they didn't mention a soul, or a 'real inner self' or anything else that usually comes up in scenes like that. One of the only scenes that really worked for me was when one character's stomach transformed into a gaping maw, I definitely screamed a little bit.

4/10

This makes me sad.

The endgame is annihilation of the entire human population. The Thing absorbs the life of every planet it goes to and essentially can become it. The big bad at the end is elements of Blair, the dogs and various other beings it has absorbed over (presumably) centuries.

What's horrifying about all this is the psychological nature of the situation coupled with the setting. The isolation and paranoia of the individual not knowing who among him may or may not be his friend or enemy is where the scares lie. The gore, while impressive in my opinion, is secondary to what's underneath the surface. It works for me because the danger is being posed on a very small scale with a later threat of spreading globally.

Your issues with pacing...well I have no answers for you because we generally disagree there. That's fine. I liked the slow burn to it. There are lapses in logic but I can forgive that for the aforementioned isolation/cabin fever scenario. I imagine if I saw a group of dogs assimilate into a spideralienmonster my grasp of accepted human logic might be slightly damaged.

You are not alone, however, as there have been some of my friends who have felt the same way. I, however, love The Thing forever.

Sorry for taking up so much space when I still haven't completed my last assignment from the thread.

Turada
Jun 17, 2006

On a mission from God

Ratedargh posted:

The endgame is annihilation of the entire human population. The Thing absorbs the life of every planet it goes to and essentially can become it. The big bad at the end is elements of Blair, the dogs and various other beings it has absorbed over (presumably) centuries.

I just think that The Thing itself is never explained very well. On one hand, it's presented as malevolent and actively killing people. It doesn't simply duplicate them and let them carry on as normal but taking something for itself. On the other, if that is its goal, why is it so weak? They say it's been in the ice for 100,000 years, and we saw it arrive from space where it presumably arrived after devouring/absorbing at least one planets lifeforms and if all you have to show after a planets worth of gorging is that little thing, then you're not a very good monster :colbert:.

Turada fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 2, 2011

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Turada posted:

I just think that The Thing itself is never explained very well. On one hand, it's presented as malevolent and actively killing people. It doesn't simply duplicate them and let them carry on as normal but taking something for itself. On the other, if that is its goal, why is it so weak? They say it's been in the ice for 100,000 years, and we saw it arrive from space where it presumably arrived after devouring/absorbing at least one planets lifeforms and if all you have to show after a planets worth of gorging is that little thing, then you're not a very good monster :colbert:.

Fair points.

Counterpoint: The Thing is awesome :colbert:

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Turada, as punishment for not liking The Thing, you get... dammit, all those movies are good. Gone With the Wind feels the most like punishment though.

Andrei Rublev is loooooong and confusing. For most of the time I had no clue who was who or what was going on. It doesn't help that Rublev himself is hardly in any of the action. I didn't find the themes particularly compelling, especially the way they are presented. There were a few great shots though, especially during the raid and bell sequences (I won't be forgetting the horse falling down the stairs or the flaming cow anytime soon). 2/5

Also saw A Matter of Life and Death, which I loved. It was much funnier than I expected ("You are still alive because of your ridiculous English climate") and the cross between black and white and color was clever, especially when the hilarious frenchman comments on it. This would have been a perfect five if not for the long England vs. America segment during the trial, which belonged to a completely different movie. 4.5/5

Safe
Other Todd Haynes/Julianne Moore movie. This one sounds much better.
71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance
Haneke noooooo. Recommended to me earlier in this thread.
Tout Va Bien
I like Godard.
Picnic at Hanging Rock
I remember hearing this was a good Australian film.
Next on TSPDT's 21st Century list. I saw In the Mood for Love so long ago that I can barely remember it. I'm assuming it's not necessary viewing for this?
A Zed and Two Noughts
I heard some talk of this on the forums here. It sounds interesting.
A Short Film About Killing
I'm having trouble motivating myself to finish The Decalogue, even though I've liked what I've seen before.
I am Cuba
I hear that this has some amazing camera work. I've seen the pool scene (the one recreated in Boogie Nights) which does nothing to convince me otherwise.
Contempt
Next on TSPDT. I love Godard, so I'm looking forward to this.
Blind Chance
A premise that's been done before, but I'm sure Kieslowski's will be the best.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5

jonnykungfu
Nov 26, 2007

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

I am Cuba

Incredible film. Another long Russian film as punishment for not liking Andrei Rublev.

Finally watched Nostalghia.

My Criticker review:

Slow even for a Tarkovsky film. This is the first of his films that I've actually struggled to get though. It didn't feel like it had an underlying theme throughout the film in the way that his other films do, and though there is some interesting dialogue, it never feels incredibly cohesive. The imagery is absolutely amazing, though, as it always is with Tarkovsky. I'm just going to have to give this one another viewing to understand it a bit more. 85/100

My list:

Kagemusha - Criterion sale blind buy. I love Kurosawa, though, so I'm sure I'll love this.

Uncle Boonmee who Can Recall His Past Lives - Just sounds awesome. Palme D'or winner and compared to Tarkovsky.

Watched: The Bad Sleep Well: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Siegfried: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild's Revenge: 75/100, Tokyo Story: 70/100, Fanny and Alexander: 100/100, Stroszek: 70/100, When a Woman Ascends the Stairs: 85/100, Nostalghia: 85/100.

erqa
Jan 20, 2010

quote:

Watch this! I just finished my fourth Louis Malle film in a row, and Elevator to the Gallows is where I started.

My list:

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - I've seen Fitzcarraldo but otherwise haven't been hooked by Herzog.

Blade Runner - I started it once but fell asleep. I have it downloaded so an excuse to watch it would be nice.

Repulsion - I probably fell asleep early into this one too. I love Polanski otherwise, but this never grabbed me. I need a kick in the rear end.

Suspiria - I am running out of anecdotes. I like horror films?

Rashomon - I really enjoyed Le Samourai which I gather is a lot like this? Never seen a Kurosawa film.

Lolita - I loved the book and have wanted to see the film, but the time's never been right.

2001: A Space Odyssey - I'm a noob.

Misery - I've seen The Scene in every "Scariest Horror Movie Moments" show but ain't seen the whole thing yet.

Little Otik - I've seen some of Svankmajer's stop motion work, but never a full-length.

Fargo - What do I even say? I liked The Big Lebowski.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Bester, your list seems to have a lot of overlap with mine. Fargo is the only loving one on there I've loving seen, and it's definitely worth your loving time (sorry, I think Steve loving Buscemi wrote that last loving line).

Annie Hall was... well, it's hard to say. I liked it, but it didn't blow me away, and it's hard to explain why. It may be that I didn't relate to it simply because I don't have a lot of bad relationships in my past. There's also maybe a bit of values dissonance in the attitudes to drug use- I wasn't really bothered by her marijuana use (clearly that was important to the character, not intended for shock value), but were people really that casual about cocaine use in the seventies? Maybe I'm taking that part too seriously, but it seemed pretty random. The movie was more a series of vignettes than a full story. I wasn't demanding a tight plot in what was clearly a character study, but it seemed like a lot of the scenes didn't really go anywhere. Take the scene with Walken talking about crashing his car- funny, to be sure, but after it's over it has no real bearing on the rest of the movie. There are a lot of scenes like that, and they're pretty hit or miss with regards to comedy. Some of them are good (the scene where Alvy listens to a pretentious windbag describing an author and then imagines getting the author to tell him he was full of poo poo was hilarious), and some of them are duds. Another example might be the Shelley Duvall character- they meet, have sex, then she's never mentioned again. And I didn't find anything inherently amusing in the character, so it seemed like a waste of time. On the other hand, I was very interested in the main characters. Like I said above about Casablanca, Woody Allen's persona has been so imitated that people who haven't seen the movies still think they know what to expect. Seeing someone like Jon Stewart riff on him makes the character look like a cheap, shallow bit. But, just like in Casablanca, actually seeing it is another story. He comes off as much more human and relatable than the trite parodies I've seen, and I get the feeling that this is a very personal story- I especially like that it didn't wrap up with a happy ending. Overall, I'd say Annie Hall is a good movie, but it doesn't always fire on all cylinders.
Rating: 3/4

2. Goodfellas - Just never came up. I know Joe Pesci yells about not being funny for a while, and I remember the Animaniacs parodies, but that's really all I know. But I liked Gangs of New York and Raging Bull [edit: and now Taxi Driver], so I have confidence in Scorsese.

4. Blade Runner - Now this is really shameful. I'm a big sci-fi fan, and I like Harrison Ford, so it's bad already. But what really makes it inexcusable is that I bought it a couple years ago, and it's still sitting on the shelf in shrink wrap.

5. 2001: A Space Odyssey - More sci-fi that everyone but me has seen. I think my dad has a copy, so that would make it easier. I think I already know most of the plot, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it. If I'm given this one, I promise to try my best not to make too many Portal jokes.

6. Rashomon - Anything by Kurosawa, for that matter. Seems to me like you have to go out of your way to see foreign films. I don't know anyone who owns these, and no one's ever personally suggested one to me. I like Japanese culture and history (I once wrote a whole story set in 16th century Japan), so I feel I should see some of these, and not just more anime.

8. Chinatown - I didn't realize this was a must-see, but so many people upthread have included it that I figure I must be missing something. I really like Rosemary's Baby, and I'm willing to overlook the fact that the director is a rapist and judge the film on its own merits (of course, by the same token, his personal behavior should be judged on its own merits and not because of what films he's made, but that's a whole other conversation).

9. The Aviator - More from that Scorsese clown. This one isn't as much a must see as some of the others, but it's added shame because it's another one that I own but haven't seen (there's probably another five movies like that, but most of them are more obscure). I bought it for three bucks about four years ago when a local video store went out of business and I've never taken it out of the box.

12. Superman - Not that shameful, but I've seen most of the major superhero movies, and this one's supposed to be the gold standard. I'd probably enjoy it except for Superman reversing time. :bang:

14. Apocalypse Now- Guy goes up a river, sees weird poo poo, the horror, goes back down the river, man is evil. Well, that's how my brother summed up Heart of Darkness, which I tried to read in high school and got to about page three. But I know this is a fairly loose adaptation and is supposed to be great, and Martin Sheen is awesome, so I'd be cool with this.

16. Schindler's List- Of course, I know what this is about, but I know very few details. My wife has seen it and said she'd watch it with me. Since she usually doesn't like serious movies, this is a strong recommendation indeed.

18. Deer Hunter- I seem to be seeing a lot of Christopher Walken bit parts, so let's see one of his rare starring roles. I started watching this one a while ago, but never got more than a few minutes in- I think I got called away, or maybe I just wasn't in the mood. I do know it ends with death by Russian Roulette, but I still think I'd enjoy it.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4