Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Jafro
Jul 24, 2004
Big Hair Crew
Can anyone recommend a good beginner mandolin? Fstyle preferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

A shrubbery! posted:

Here's what I'd do:
Getting him to copy you would be a good introduction, with him on his drums and you on some similar sounding pots and pans. Better yet, just vocalise the sounds and rhythms for him to copy. Once he's comfortable with coordinating his hands, get him to practise keeping the beat with a song he likes and see how it goes from there.

Good work starting your kid early, if he turns out to be a drummer he'll love you for it when he's got 10 years of practise down at 15. I wish I'd picked up a guitar while I still had the capacity and free time to get really good.

Hey thanks a lot. I'll give that a try.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

abske_fides posted:

Well here is a picture of the zoomed in wave form:

And I uploaded a few seconds of just one guitar with a normal tone. You can hear a faint clicking in the background, I'm really pretty sure it's the pick hitting the chord or something, I'd just like to minimize that sound if possible.

I left it in .wav so you can hear it exactly like I hear it. http://www.mediafire.com/file/398r60kv603255q/14.wav

Hmm, I don't hear it. But this could be due to any number of factors, like the tone/amp obscuring things, the rapid staccato notes, etc. My guess is it's the part itself causing the sound you're hearing. A good test would be to see if you hear it when playing a less busy passage.

That said...you may be overanalyzing this. The clicks you hear aren't going to be noticeable once this part is blended in with bass, drums, etc. It's tempting to chase sounds until they are pristine and perfect, but it rarely works out, especially with amped instruments.

Now time issues, oh god. I've spent hours in Pro Tools nudging things by microseconds to get them where I want them. It didn't help that there used to be an undocumented bug/feature whereby an effect applied to a track would add a few microseconds delay to it.

Archituethis
Dec 25, 2008
I'm looking to buy a recording interface. Right now I use an SM58 and a Line6 UX2. I don't really like the UX2 though. I want to find something a little simpler that doesn't force me to use a lovely program with lovely effects.

Anyone know of any good, simple interfaces? All I need is one or two XLR and Guitar jacks and basic Gain knobs, etc., that's decently cheap. I'm Looking to spend $200 tops. Would prefer the $100 range though.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
I'm looking for a portable digital piano with 88 weighted keys and just a few basic sounds, like Grand/Upright/Rhodes/Wurlitzer. I've been out of the loop for ~10 years re. new gear and only remember the Yamaha, Technics, and Roland models.

Ideally it would just be the instrument unit with a pedal; not one of those furniture stands. Can anybody recommend a current model more or less along those specs? Thanks in advance.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Archituethis posted:

I'm looking to buy a recording interface. Right now I use an SM58 and a Line6 UX2. I don't really like the UX2 though. I want to find something a little simpler that doesn't force me to use a lovely program with lovely effects.

I don't have any recommendations for you, but I'd just like to point out that it's possible with the UX2 to bypass the lovely program with its lovely effect and run the signal through a different plug-in.

UrethraFranklin
Aug 11, 2003
I don't have a drinking problem, 'cept when I can't get a drink.
How much would a 1992 SG Junior go for? It's in good condition except for the back of the neck where it meets the headstock. The head got cracked off and it was home-repaired. The Truss rod is functional though, and it's set straight and plays fine, it's just an ugly looking repair.

Sorry for the lack of pics, some quick guesstimates would really help me out.

Edit: It's a Gibson, and thanks Thumposaurus.

UrethraFranklin fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 14, 2011

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

UrethraFranklin posted:

How much would a 1992 SG Junior go for? It's in good condition except for the back of the neck where it meets the headstock. The head got cracked off and it was home-repaired. The Truss rod is functional though, and it's set straight and plays fine, it's just an ugly looking repair.

Sorry for the lack of pics, some quick guesstimates would really help me out.

Gibson? or Epiphone? I'm guessing Gibson since the headstock broke.
SG resale value isn't that great unfortunately maybe $400-$600 as a rough range.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Archituethis posted:

Anyone know of any good, simple interfaces? All I need is one or two XLR and Guitar jacks and basic Gain knobs, etc., that's decently cheap. I'm Looking to spend $200 tops. Would prefer the $100 range though.

http://www.mackie.com/products/onyxblackjack/

$150, does what you need, good pres, solid drivers and convertors.

h_double fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 15, 2011

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

This question relates to home recording.

I'm planning on buying a bass guitar at some point but can't afford it right now. Is there a simple effects box or something else that will tune an audio signal down an octave without altering anything else? Until I get an actual bass I thought I could use my guitar to play the bass parts (without having to literally tune the bottom four strings down an octave every time).

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

beatlegs posted:

This question relates to home recording.

I'm planning on buying a bass guitar at some point but can't afford it right now. Is there a simple effects box or something else that will tune an audio signal down an octave without altering anything else? Until I get an actual bass I thought I could use my guitar to play the bass parts (without having to literally tune the bottom four strings down an octave every time).

Try the DigiTech Whammy. You can do a lot of cool octave effects with it. Jack White famously uses it on Seven Nation Army, and other songs.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Yes, or any old 'Octaver' with a dry/wet mix knob. You'll want the wet signal only. Not gonna sound like a real bass, but you'll be in the correct range. Should find them for peanuts, cause many guitarists ditch them when they get a fancier pitch shifter.

Btw, does that Digitech Whammy have a (very) short delay after processing or is it seamless to the ear?

e: anyone know of a sound effects library that includes slapstick sounds; like slide whistles, trumpet/trombone wah-wah, and those old arrrooogah car horns for example?

Underflow fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 16, 2011

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks
This is probably a somewhat dumb question, but I've been helping mix my band's EP, I had thought that you were supposed to mix with the master at 0.0, but my bandmate said that it should just be where you get a good volume without clipping. Was I just misinformed at some point? (I probably was)

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Not sure if this would go here or in the travel section...

I'll be moving from California to Michigan soon and I need to ship my electric bass, amp, and acoustic guitar. I went to USPS' website to see what shipping would be like and going by Amazon's product details for reference (same model bass), it says shipping will be $107 for just the bass. That uh, seems really high and I have a tiny budget. Is there some cheaper way to do this that won't leave my stuff all battered up? Am I just a retard and filled in the dimensions wrong on the postage calculator?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Try Fedex or UPS instead, shouldn't be more than $50 to ship a guitar.

Do you have no way to move the instruments with your other belongings? You're gonna end up spending a lot on it, especially an amp.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I've never organized my own move before, so this stuff is all new to me. I don't have any furniture or anything, so it's just my instruments, clothes, and computer plus miscellaneous tiny things. I figured shipping most of it would be easier since I didn't want to be bogged down with stuff at the airport.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
Has anyone had much experience with East West Quantum Leap's new sample libraries that use the PLAY engine and not Kontakt? Do I really need an SSD to make full use of them?

They're having a sale right now on their libraries:

http://www.soundsonline.com/EastWest-Summer-Sale

And I'm looking to get at RA and/or Goliath, but I'm trying to figure out if I need to also get an SSD for them. I hate waiting for samples to load when working with stuff :shobon:

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Bocc Kob posted:

Not sure if this would go here or in the travel section...

I'll be moving from California to Michigan soon and I need to ship my electric bass, amp, and acoustic guitar. I went to USPS' website to see what shipping would be like and going by Amazon's product details for reference (same model bass), it says shipping will be $107 for just the bass. That uh, seems really high and I have a tiny budget. Is there some cheaper way to do this that won't leave my stuff all battered up? Am I just a retard and filled in the dimensions wrong on the postage calculator?

I shipped a guitar, a 2-speaker amp, and a bulky tape machine over 3 borders here in Europe where everything is more expensive than in the US. Used what they call 'groupage', where a regional hub gathers shipments from local transporters, and carts them to a bigger hub until the process is reversed for delivery. Took 3 weeks, but it was all in good nick and it cost me the equivalent of $120 in total. Maybe they have another term for it in the US than 'groupage', but better look into it.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

So I'll be in a practice room later this week, and I want to take my laptop and recording stuff and record some music.

So I guess I'm looking for advice on doing this. it'll be a small, sound-proofed room, with drums, two guitar amps, a couple of PA's and a complicated looking mixer. I have a laptop, a m box mini, a shure beta 58A, a Shure Beta 87A Supercardioid Condenser, a peavey dynamic mic, and an MXL condenser mic. I figure, use the 58A, Peavey and the MXL to mic the Drums, and run everything into the Mixer, and then run that into my M box, into my computer.

Any flaws in my plan?

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!

The Jafro posted:

Can anyone recommend a good beginner mandolin? Fstyle preferable.

Ozark mandolins are really cheap and decent. I bought an Ozark mandola a few months ago and it's perfectly fine if unspectacular.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Underflow posted:

I'm looking for a portable digital piano with 88 weighted keys and just a few basic sounds, like Grand/Upright/Rhodes/Wurlitzer. I've been out of the loop for ~10 years re. new gear and only remember the Yamaha, Technics, and Roland models.

Ideally it would just be the instrument unit with a pedal; not one of those furniture stands. Can anybody recommend a current model more or less along those specs? Thanks in advance.

If your budget is like mine (low) the Yamaha P95 is very good bang for your buxx. Also look at the Casio Privia range - but I very much prefer the Yamaha.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Honked posted:

If your budget is like mine (low) the Yamaha P95 is very good bang for your buxx. Also look at the Casio Privia range - but I very much prefer the Yamaha.

Thanks very much.

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
So I am working on my first solo album by myself in my home studio (bedroom) and I had a few quick questions since this is my first time working by myself.

1. I don't have the knowledge yet to make an amazingly produced album (and my style is lo-fi indie folk kind of stuff anyway) but is there a way to make my songs as physically loud as commercial releases. I have them peaking at zero and I thought that was all you need to do but when I compare it to other stuff in my genre (stuff like andrew jackson jihad and defiance ohio for example) it sounds very quiet. I am not trying to make a loudness war style pop album but I don't want people to be listening to something at a normal volume then switch to my stuff and have them go "why is this so quiet?". Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong? I can try to post some samples if absolutely necessary but where I live I have terrible internet and it would probably time out before I could finish uploading a song. Perhaps there are some general mistakes that most people make.

2. If I had the choice to record in a wide open living room or a small bedroom which should I pick?

3. How do I get audacity to let me record with two mics at once to seperate tracks? I can't get it to do anything but just start a new track with the first mic I have in.

Thanks for any tips you might have.

Oh I also forgot one more quick one: How exactly do I get info on to all my tracks so that when it goes into a computer it can find it and know what it is?

Behold! A Elk! fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 23, 2011

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Behold! A Elk! posted:

Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong?

Everyone else is doing it wrong

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
It took me a few seconds to figure out what you meant by that. And I went and compared my stuff to some un-remastered Bob Dylan and Simon and Garfunkel and level wise I seem to be equal. I am guessing what you are saying is that as long as I am hitting zero on the master fader I am fine and I shouldn't have to apply ridiculous amounts of compression to my tracks.

Hungry Joe
Nov 27, 2006

DDFH
I've got a question for anyone that's familiar with using a kaossilator pro. I have a keyboard that has general midi i/o and I want to use it as a controller for my pro. I feel like there should be an easy way to do this but I can't figure it out. My keyboard might just be too old (at least 6yrs old it's a yamaha ez30).

Any ideas? I can get the kaossilator to make sounds come out of my keyboard when played on the pad but I want to get the kaoss sounds when I press keys on the keyboard.

I'm super new to midi and I'm just starting to mess around with it

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)

quote:

3. How do I get audacity to let me record with two mics at once to seperate tracks? I can't get it to do anything but just start a new track with the first mic I have in.

I don't use audacity, but you probably just have to arm two tracks to record and select different inputs for each mic according to where they are physically connected on your interface. You can likely change the input in a menu somewhere near where you arm tracks.

NostrsasamaBinDamos
Jun 5, 2009

Monocular posted:

Is there any free music creation software (something along the lines of Fruity Loops I guess) that someone could recommend? I'm in Egypt right now, and while it's great I have no musical outlet and sometimes find myself bored as poo poo.

I know this is from a month ago, but I've just recently started getting into Audiotool.
(http://burn-studios.audiotool.com/)

It's a completely free in-browser DAW which offers a full modular environment,303, 808, & 909 emulation (unlimited instances), analogue synthesis, a shitton of effects and routing options, and even accepts MIDI input for both sequencing notes/beats and control parameter changes.

Everyone should check this program out, no excuses!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Behold! A Elk! posted:

It took me a few seconds to figure out what you meant by that. And I went and compared my stuff to some un-remastered Bob Dylan and Simon and Garfunkel and level wise I seem to be equal. I am guessing what you are saying is that as long as I am hitting zero on the master fader I am fine and I shouldn't have to apply ridiculous amounts of compression to my tracks.

The ridiculous amounts of compression are how people make their records so loud! The skill is in doing it so it's not painfully obvious to the average listener.

Basically the key is dynamics, your source material is probably going to have a fair amount of variation in volume, some of which will be intentional and some of which will be down to issues with technique and the vagaries of recording. If you want fairly even levels for say vocals or guitar, and the source is fairly uneven, you'll have to apply some compression just to settle things down. Too much will squash the sound, which might be an effect you're going for, but you're unlikely to want no compression at all.

The way people recommend it is to record as hot as possible, close to the 0dB mark (but never over it) to get the best signal you can, then mix your track with a bunch of headroom, peaking lower (say -6 or 12dB), and then you master it, even if you just put a limiter on the Master channel. That's kind of a half-assed description but there's a home recording thread or two around here, definitely worth a look for innumerable tips.

I'd also totally recommend against using Audacity for anything more than very basic recording and editing. Reaper has an unlimited trial and is a fantastic DAW - more complex than Audacity (they all are) but a million times easier to actually do stuff in. Haven't used Kristal in a while but their forums are still active, and that's a free DAW. Fewer features and some limitations (16 tracks and 3 VST effects per track) but pretty easy to get into

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
I had actually been using kristal but for some reason i had gotten it into my head that audacity was the professional free DAW. I like how simple kristal is to work with. I haven't used reaper to much. I guess I am paranoid since I don't own it that if I do any serious recording it's gonna be all "nope" and ruin some tracks.

I have been reading a lot of these recording threads in the past few days and I have figured out that a lot of my problems are me being ignorant or lazy (Like just making sure the mics aren't peaking on my interface without really checking what I am getting for levels in my DAW, and not taking the time to EQ things properly). So I should hopefully make some progress if I put in the effort to learn.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'd like to get a small 25-key midi controller, but I'd also like to be able to use it as a portable practice keyboard so I can get some sound out of it without having to plug it into a computer, just a headphone jack and a simple piano sound or something. What is my best choice?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm absolutely terrible at transcription and I'm having a difficult time figuring out what Mattias Eklundh is playing in this video around the 44 second mark: http://youtu.be/DgGlTAAyVB8
For the first chord in the arpeggio I'm pretty sure he's using a major 7 and a nine stacked on top of each other, but afterwards I just can't really follow what he's doing.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
What is the most cost effective way to improve the acoustics of a room in which a band plays? I'm interested in doing it to a concrete room and the current acoustics are awful. I have a bunch of 2" thick packaging foam for starters. However it isn't even enough to cover an entire wall. I have thought about hanging blankets (huge fire hazard, I'd rather not if there is a better way) as well as making a drummer isolation thingy.

If there is a thread on this matter it would be helpful as well. If there isn't a thread, you think it would be a good time to start one? I wouldn't start it myself as I don't have any knowledge on the matter.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

rcman50166 posted:

What is the most cost effective way to improve the acoustics of a room in which a band plays? I'm interested in doing it to a concrete room and the current acoustics are awful. I have a bunch of 2" thick packaging foam for starters. However it isn't even enough to cover an entire wall. I have thought about hanging blankets (huge fire hazard, I'd rather not if there is a better way) as well as making a drummer isolation thingy.

If there is a thread on this matter it would be helpful as well. If there isn't a thread, you think it would be a good time to start one? I wouldn't start it myself as I don't have any knowledge on the matter.

Try scattering whatever foam you already have over the walls in some semi-regular pattern (focusing on the centre of each wall), that might be enough to break up the most drastic echoes bouncing back and forth. You can also make some cheap echo deadeners by making a wooden frame and stretching some hessian or other reasonably thick cloth over them, then just hang these cloth-covered frames on the walls (they can be as big as you want but the ones I've seen are about 1m per side). You can even paint or otherwise design them so that they aren't just big ugly brown squares and instead can add some personality to your band room while also improving acoustics.

The Rubberbandit
Jan 14, 2008
Where's your condom now?!

rcman50166 posted:

You don't need to cover the entire wall, and in fact for recording a band you probably don't want the entire room to be dead. Covering ~40-60% of each wall will kill flutter echoes, and most likely sufficiently dampen the room. Optimally you would have the material in a checkered pattern with the bare wall (Example: 2 sq.ft. of material, 2sq.ft. of wall, with each row offset by 2sq.ft.), and have the parallel wall with the same pattern but inverted. In reality, just doing this checkered pattern on each wall will give you the desired effect.

What is the floor material? If its concrete, or vinyl, or tile, covering it with thick throw rugs and large carpets will greatly reduce the rooms resonance. The ceiling also needs to be addressed, but if you're on a budget it can be skipped.

Another large concern is bass trapping. In each of the four upper tri-corners (where the wall corner meets the ceiling) you should place as much material as you can. This can be as expensive as buying a 2'x2'x2' block of foam for each corner, or as cheep as attaching a bedsheet around the corner and filling it with old clothes/blankets/foam/pillows/fabric. The point is to have lots of mass, but not lots of density.

I've also seen professional studios make basstraps by hanging 1' thick figerglass insulation panels from the ceiling about one foot apart, for the entire length of the room. You may or may not want to cover this with some type of fabric, but it works well as both a basstrap and sound dampener.

Seventh_Samurai
Jul 5, 2007
dick blick
I posted this in the wiring thread, but I figure I'd post it here too to increase my chances of getting an answer. Sorry if they're pretty stupid questions.

#1) I've got a lovely Epiphone Les Paul Junior and had the idea to rewire it like a Fender Lead 1: one humbucker, tone and volume knobs and switches for series/parallel and coil selection. I found a wiring diagram, but the only problem is that the wire colors are different from normal ones. As you can see, it lists blue, blue-white, black-white and black, but from my understanding, humbuckers come with red, white, green and black wires. Can anyone translate the colors into what I guess are the modern wire colors?

#2) I'm wiring an old guitar up like a Fender Duo Sonic, which is basically like a Tele wiring wise, two single coils, tone and volume and 3-way switch. Easy peasy, right? Not for me. The wiring diagram has black and white on the bridge pickup and blue and yellow on the neck pickup. Will these colors be the same if I buy new pickups or will they be different?

Again, I'm sorry if these are really stupid questions. My experience with wiring and such is pretty limited. Thanks

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I just bought an Oxygen 25 MIDI controller. What do I need to get started doing the most basic synthesizer noodling in real time?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I'm trying to adapt This Wind by The Tallest Man on Earth to autoharp, but can't figure out the drat chords. This cover tells me it's in Open C, but I'm not proficient with open guitar tunings and can't tell what chords he's playing (except the open C :woop: ). My impression is that the main chords are G C and D but there are others that I can't figure out on autoharp. It's also possible that they are chords that I don't have on autoharp, which is why it would be so hard for me to make it out.

Any help? I'm going to try to figure out the chords using a chord identifier but this is slow and tedious and if someone with a badass ear can make my life easier that'd be great.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
First gig ever tonight! Had an absolute loving blast and the audience loved it.

One slight problem. It's winter here in Melbourne (AKA: loving cold). For the first song, my fingers were REALLY loving cold and frozen. This meant my picking\fretting was sloppy. I cant play with gloves on so what CAN I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Hammer Floyd posted:

First gig ever tonight! Had an absolute loving blast and the audience loved it.

One slight problem. It's winter here in Melbourne (AKA: loving cold). For the first song, my fingers were REALLY loving cold and frozen. This meant my picking\fretting was sloppy. I cant play with gloves on so what CAN I do?
if it was just for the first song some warmup exercises back stage should help. You should be warming up before playing anyways.
Or get some fingerless gloves.