Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

RillAkBea posted:

I think the worst part of it was the level of transparency. In particular the bit with everyone making noise. They just didn't even bother with trying to write it in character.

You realise that's the joke, right? Fry played the trombone, Amy took a pachinko break and Bender revealed he was a tugboat. Dud you really watch those things happen and think "ugh, these aren't in character at all"?

Edit: Regardless of what you think of the scene, Fry and Leela's exchange was the best joke of the season.

"Fry, I'm writing here! Do you have to play that?"
"Yes. It's the only song I know."

Leovinus fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

John DiMaggio sounds like an awesome human being:

Wil Wheaton posted:

I introduced Ryan to John Dimaggio, and this happened:

Me: "John, this is my son, Ryan. Ryan, this is John. He plays Bender on Futurama."

John [in Bender's voice]: "That's right, Ryan, I'm Bender. Doot de doot do dooo doo doo bah doot doot doo."

Ryan for the rest of the night: "Oh my God. John Dimaggio shook my hand, and sang and danced like Bender for me!"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Klungar posted:

If I ever met John DiMaggio I would ask him to do that thing Bender does when he's freaking out.

Anyone who's ever heard the commentaries knows what I mean.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Just in case nobody made a gif out of this yet:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Goons: Listen to my boss-words.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Klungar posted:

That's basically how I would react.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sebzilla posted:

If time passes in the Futurama universe (so it's now 3011) why are all the orphans still the same age as they were in 3002 or whenever?

WHY IS MAGGIE STILL A BABY????????? WHY IS BART STILL IN 4th GRADE?????????

MY SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF!!!!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Clearly, their growth has been stunted by malnutrition and sadness. :colbert:

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 26, 2011

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Phat_Albert posted:

WHY IS MAGGIE STILL A BABY????????? WHY IS BART STILL IN 4th GRADE?????????

MY SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF!!!!

Sure, but The Simpsons gives no shits about continuity whereas Futurama does sometimes when it feels like it (or when its funny).

Also I do other human stuff. I age. See?

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

sebzilla posted:

Sure, but The Simpsons gives no shits about continuity whereas Futurama does sometimes when it feels like it (or when its funny).

And the characters don't wear the same clothes every day! Or have the same jobs they did (at the end of) episode 1! Amy is still an intern, Cubert and Dwight haven't grown up.

Futurama has never really cared about continuity any more than the Simpsons has. The very few select times things have carried over were designed as such to bring in a new character or what not. But the rules about aging/time moving forward are the same in the Simpsons as it is in Futurama. They acknowledge time moving forward occasionally, but mostly it might as well be the same day every single episode.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Coleman posted:

Amy is still an intern

The horse says: DOCTORATE DENIED!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

sebzilla posted:

They only care about continuity when it would be funny to care.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

They only care about continuity when it would be funny to care.

Bender, it's me, Fanny!

We had an affair?

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Klungar posted:

I have a hard time thinking I'd react any other way to that.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

shotgunbadger posted:

I have a hard time thinking I'd react any other way to that.

I think me running into him would result in a restraining order.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Coleman posted:

And the characters don't wear the same clothes every day! Or have the same jobs they did (at the end of) episode 1! Amy is still an intern, Cubert and Dwight haven't grown up.

Futurama has never really cared about continuity any more than the Simpsons has. The very few select times things have carried over were designed as such to bring in a new character or what not. But the rules about aging/time moving forward are the same in the Simpsons as it is in Futurama. They acknowledge time moving forward occasionally, but mostly it might as well be the same day every single episode.

I just explain it that people age much slower in the future because of science/stem cells, hence people being able to live well into their 100s. Also since bender's big score Fry looks a little older and his voice has changed, I dunno if it was deliberate but it seems like it would be, maybe that's just me though.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

sebzilla posted:

Have you thought about this one. It's a damned cartoon. It's only going to keep continuity when it suits them and not give 2 shits about it any other time.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

fruitpunch posted:

I just explain it that people age much slower in the future because of science/stem cells, hence people being able to live well into their 100s. Also since bender's big score Fry looks a little older and his voice has changed, I dunno if it was deliberate but it seems like it would be, maybe that's just me though.

Exactly. The professor's, what, 180?

wren
Feb 9, 2007

requiescat in pace et in amore
Fry has acknowledged time passing according to the years since the show began. I also thought they were attempting to age him a little--especially in the Minority Report/Tron episode. He's also progressed somewhat with his personality outside of the clear one-liners.

I personally wish that they had not progressed Zoidberg in the way they did compared to the beginning of the show. I sort of liked him being the only person Santa gives a present to. Or the Harold Zoid situation. Right now I feel like they banked on that for shock value and can't return. By making another Bender they lost a foil. Zoidberg had started going downhill with Leela's shock collar where he seemed to be torturing her for no reason, out of character.

The newest episodes seem more out of character for the cast than I would have expected. The Neutopia episode is the best example, they seemed to throw a lot away for it. I don't need a cartoon soap opera, but I would have preferred more amusing explorations of what was hinted at in the past. Episodes like the ones with Fry's brother were infinitely stronger than Leela's planet of lies for kids. The show might be emotionally exhausting if it were only that way, but undermining those strong episodes during the lighthearted ones seems to make the show nearly impossible to follow.

Kannen
Apr 24, 2007

make this page more CAW CAW!!
All this hatin on the new episode makes me as sad as an upside-down smile...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My entire philosophy since they came back has been "expect a crappy episode and be happy when it's not". That's worked pretty well for me, and allowed me to enjoy even a majority of the less amazing episodes from this season.

Like even the crappy iPhone/Cat/Titanic episodes had some really great lines, and all my complaining aside there was still something to enjoy in each one.

This last episode was really the only one where I felt like turning it off because the plot and jokes did absolutely nothing for me. Which I guess is a pretty good record, all things considered.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
I don't get the hate either. I thought the last episode was adorable. I am a little tired of all the bender episodes though, even if bender is great.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
It's been really subpar. I'm no Futurama nut, but none of the episodes have been that good at all. The forward only time machine one being the exception.

The movies were better than this.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I like the movies, but I definitely think this season has improved a lot in terms of writing. Although there have been some inconsistent episodes (the cat one might be my least favourite in the whole series), I think it has generally been funnier than season 4 overall.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Leyburn posted:

It's been really subpar. I'm no Futurama nut, but none of the episodes have been that good at all. The forward only time machine one being the exception.

The movies were better than this.

You don't like The Prisoner of Benda?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You don't like The Prisoner of Benda?

Yeah that was a good un too.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I've enjoyed the episodes this season more often than not. I'd say that Lethal Inspection, The Late Philip J. Fry, The Prisoner of Benda and The Silence of the Clamps were about as good as the very best of the original run. Sure, there's been a couple stinkers, but taking into consideration that it's been getting its footing back after a very long absence from TV, it's pretty impressive how many good episodes we've had. It's probably been the weakest overall season in the entire series, but it's a far cry from the revival of Family Guy.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
"Do you have to play that?"
"Yes. It's the only song I know." :(

I guess I'm the minority here for liking this episode. Plagiarism, child labor, corrupted innocence, nobody learns their lesson; it reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Lisa convinces Mr. Burns to help the environment, when he only ends up making it worse and thanking Lisa (which I also liked). It also reminds me of Death to Smoochy.

I think Neutopia was probably the least enjoyable episode since the most recent premiere.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The only episode I didn't like was the eyePhone episode. That Darn Katz wasn't amazing, but it wasn't THAT awful, and I enjoyed Neutopia as a just-having-fun sort of episode. The rest of the season has been excellent, in my view. Better than the movie season, certainly. We haven't quite had another Godfellas yet (I appreciated The Late Philip J. Fry, but I don't think it quite had the emotional punch that it thought it did), but I can't see the reasoning behind calling it a particularly weak season. We've definitely had some excellent episodes - Prisoner of Benda, Late, Silence Of The Clamps, Lethal Inspection and the V-GINY ep were all top-notch.

I agree with the criticism about Yo Leela Leela having a really weak ending. It really did feel like a Simpsons episode, and I hope that's not a sign of things to come. But it had some great lines and worked well enough.

Even the eyePhone ep did some good by knocking That's Lobstertainment off the Worst Episode spot, a position which it only occupied by default.

Oh, wait, I forgot the Holiday Special. That sucked.

What I'd love to see now are some Fry-and-Bender episodes. We've had a bit of an overdose of Bender in the past few eps, but theirs has always been an interesting relationship and we haven't seen so many episodes exploring that, apart from Ghost In The Machine, which was more about pitting them against each other. Oh, and Silence of the Clamps, in which they didn't really spend much time together. But anyway, more of those.

Edit: This is getting long-winded, but this season has even fixed some problems I had with the older seasons - the major one being that Zoidberg has now been reduced in role quite a lot. Less is more with him - I'm fine with him staying out of the limelight and coming out to give lines like "JOHN loving ZOIDBERG" with much greater effect. I guess the trade-off is that Scruffy's been appearing more often, which is bad for the same reason. He's starting to feel a little forced, popping up in every episode. And that "Mhmm" thing he's got going now is a kind of lame forced catchphrase.

Leovinus fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 29, 2011

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Yeah, the EyePhone episode is my least favorite in the entire series, but even then, it created one of my favorite new running jokes in the series, with Fry calling out "Help! Police!" when he's in trouble. That just tickles me.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
That Darn Katz had everything - viva jokes, Nibbler, Wenstrum. How can anyone dislike it!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That Darn Katz had everything - viva jokes, Nibbler, Wenstrum. How can anyone dislike it!

Wait a second, this isn't a corpse at all! It's one of those human puppets dogs can operate...adapted for use by a cat!!

(that episode ruled, screw y'all)

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Cardboard Box posted:

Yeah, the EyePhone episode is my least favorite in the entire series, but even then, it created one of my favorite new running jokes in the series, with Fry calling out "Help! Police!" when he's in trouble. That just tickles me.

Also, it has Scruffy turning a reg'lar board into a divin' board.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Wwwwwwwernstrom.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Inventor of Television and Child Obesity!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
The anti-senility truss!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cardboard Box posted:

It also had the Pukmi-Pukyu and one of my favourite exchanges.
"What have you been feeding it?"
"Whatever comes out one end we feed to the other."

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Woo-hoo! Time to go clubbin'! Baby seals,here I come!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Hi Lars!

Fry.

Whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I also wanna go to that museum.