Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Copernic posted:

I'm a maritime lawyer!

Submarine chaser, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Alaemon posted:

Submarine chaser, huh?

You could say he's got a thing for seamen.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Ainsley McTree posted:

I have jury duty tomorrow morning. They'll let me go once they figure out I'm a lawyer, right? They have to. They have to.

I just hope I don't have to show up more than once. I have to get up at 5 am to get to the courthouse in time and that's just stupid. If they pick me for a case I'ma sleep through it, gently caress em

While I am sure this is a heavily local thing, the one time I was called to jury duty, I waited around in the bullpen for half a day, then got called up in a venire. The judge looked out, recognized me and another lawyer, and told the lawyers trying the case "that's x- he does plaintiffs' work, and that's y - he does defense. You don't want them on the case, right"? They both said right and we left.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Solomon Grundy posted:

While I am sure this is a heavily local thing, the one time I was called to jury duty, I waited around in the bullpen for half a day, then got called up in a venire. The judge looked out, recognized me and another lawyer, and told the lawyers trying the case "that's x- he does plaintiffs' work, and that's y - he does defense. You don't want them on the case, right"? They both said right and we left.

My friend had jury duty last week and said it was the same thing, the part about sitting around in the bullpen for half a day and then going home I mean. She's not a lawyer, so that other part didn't happen. She also didn't call it "the bullpen" because she didn't know it was called that. I also didn't know that until just now but I tried to make it sound like I did to sound cool

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I served on a grand jury earlier this year (it sucked) and there were three lawyers (out ofnlike 24 total jurors).

Also, I have typical businessman hair but every now and then I get it buzzed short, and I really want to do that but I start a new job next Monday. I interviewed for this job with my current, typical hair cut. I can't figure out if the "extreme"change in hair length matters or not - like, if I walk in with a radically different haircut, will anyone care? I inherited a neurosis about this from my mother, but I can't figure out what actually makes sense.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
For Maryland jury duty I was able to check on a website the evening before and see if my number was high enough that they wouldn't need me the next day at 8:30AM, I think. And my number was high enough so I didn't have to go and I don't have to worry about jury duty for two years. It was cool. Try to do that.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

entris posted:

I served on a grand jury earlier this year (it sucked) and there were three lawyers (out ofnlike 24 total jurors).

Also, I have typical businessman hair but every now and then I get it buzzed short, and I really want to do that but I start a new job next Monday. I interviewed for this job with my current, typical hair cut. I can't figure out if the "extreme"change in hair length matters or not - like, if I walk in with a radically different haircut, will anyone care? I inherited a neurosis about this from my mother, but I can't figure out what actually makes sense.

Mine was just a summer internship, but I basically shaved my head between the interview (normal businessish hair) and starting, and nobody cared. At all.

In other news, made law review (as other lawgoons have heard, endlessly, to the point where they are sick of it).

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
Isn't every YLS student able to just join the law review? I thought I had heard that.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Isn't every YLS student able to just join the law review? I thought I had heard that.

You can join any secondary journal. Flagship has a two-stage competition, bluebook exam then write-on.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

You can join any secondary journal. Flagship has a two-stage competition, bluebook exam then write-on.

aah. sounds like some TLSer was just bullshitting then, as they claimed a major reason to go to YLS over HLS is that law review membership is basically automatic. When in fact that sounds exactly like how HLS works.

Congratulations, by the way

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

aah. sounds like some TLSer was just bullshitting then, as they claimed a major reason to go to YLS over HLS is that law review membership is basically automatic. When in fact that sounds exactly like how HLS works.

Bullshit? On MY TLS? Well I never!

There are many, many reasons to go to YLS over HLS, but that isn't one of them.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The Warszawa posted:

There are many, many reasons to go to YLS over HLS

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

Bullshit? On MY TLS? Well I never!

There are many, many reasons to go to YLS over HLS, but that isn't one of them.

The safety and luxury of New Haven compared to Cambridge come to mind

(yeah that's the only anti-yale line I've got)

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

The safety and luxury of New Haven compared to Cambridge come to mind

(yeah that's the only anti-yale line I've got)

Any area that supports the Red Sox is just a hair above Somalia in terms of public safety.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

Any area that supports the Red Sox is just a hair above Somalia in terms of public safety.

eh, there's a river between Cambridge and the worst of that.

You're basically right though

MoFauxHawk posted:

For Maryland jury duty I was able to check on a website the evening before and see if my number was high enough that they wouldn't need me the next day at 8:30AM, I think. And my number was high enough so I didn't have to go and I don't have to worry about jury duty for two years. It was cool. Try to do that.

They have a similar thing here, where you call/check a website the day before to see if you have to go. I checked and I do :( Last year I was able to escape it that way.

I wish people would stop committing crimes, this is seriously inconvenient for me

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I wish people would stop committing crimes, this is seriously inconvenient for me
You just need to get this message out, man.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

The Wise Teen posted:

Man, I know BarBri grades harder than the real thing, but the essays just seem like such a crapshoot since you can't learn everything and they ask about such specific little stuff.

You're missing the fact that a good portion of grading the essays is based on structure and organization, so even if you don't know the law, so long as you make up a rule and apply it to the facts, you will get some points. They won't all be weird and obscure questions so the ones you know will make up for the ones you don't.

On the MO bar, I got a 2 on one of the essays, I think it was out of 12. And I still passed though I probably should not be practicing law in that area or maybe even be allowed to write checks, since I think it was in commercial paper.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

HooKars posted:

You're missing the fact that a good portion of grading the essays is based on structure and organization, so even if you don't know the law, so long as you make up a rule and apply it to the facts, you will get some points. They won't all be weird and obscure questions so the ones you know will make up for the ones you don't.

On the MO bar, I got a 2 on one of the essays, I think it was out of 12. And I still passed though I probably should not be practicing law in that area or maybe even be allowed to write checks, since I think it was in commercial paper.

Ah, I guess that's just Barbri lying to be scary again. They told us to make up a rule if we don't know it, but the implication was that we'd only get points for the stuff that matched the real rule. I'm glad structure factors in, because I can CIRAC like a motherfucker.

Thanks. I feel like their hiding the ball on that almost does more harm than good.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Well, it's still probably easier. YLJ and HLR seem to have about the same number of people (HLR has 40 per year), but 300-odd people do the contest at Harvard. Your odds have to be a lot better at Yale.

quote:

Ah, I guess that's just Barbri lying to be scary again. They told us to make up a rule if we don't know it, but the implication was that we'd only get points for the stuff that matched the real rule. I'm glad structure factors in, because I can CIRAC like a motherfucker.

Thanks. I feel like their hiding the ball on that almost does more harm than good.
I don't know if it's fair to blame BarBri entirely for hiding the ball - I think the bigger problem is that states hide the ball on the essays. If they released the essay scores for passing students, I think BarBri would have a much better idea of what to tell us. It's not like they want to gently caress with us - for the MBE, where info on passing / good / bad scores is known pretty well, they give pretty good information about realistic targets and passing scores, and grade fairly.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

JURY DUTY UPDATE

The case settled about 2 hours after I showed up. I didn't even get inside the courtroom. I was kind of hoping to at least be voir dired but I'm not going to complain about getting home at noon on a monday.

Also that courthouse was literally falling apart and it was a sad place that I didn't want to be inside of anymore. Imagine that being your job

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Ainsley McTree posted:

Also that courthouse was literally falling apart and it was a sad place that I didn't want to be inside of anymore. Imagine that being your job

If the prospects of starving and sucking dick while unemployed don't discourage a new generation of law school students, I don't think poor building upkeep is going to cut it either.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is it just me, or are all courthouses either new and pristine and super-clean or rotting decrepit shitholes that look like they're 100+ years old and haven't been cleaned in the last 50?

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's actually my ideal job. I've put a lot of time, energy and money into getting to a position where I can address exactly those situations. Plus poo poo like horrible case management and the overall poo poo reputation of the entire judicial branch. I know, idealism.

And even massive disappointment and disillusionment would be better than being unemployed, still, even a month from now.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

prussian advisor posted:

Is it just me, or are all courthouses either new and pristine and super-clean or rotting decrepit shitholes that look like they're 100+ years old and haven't been cleaned in the last 50?

Also, the quality/cleanliness of the courthouse is inversely proportional to the population/wealth/development level of the jurisdiction it serves.

TheAttackSlug
Aug 15, 2008

HooKars posted:

That's convenient, because I'm taking the MEE for Missouri tomorrow and all of this business crap just kinda runs together like the gray-brown petrified wad of Gak that was their inevitable end.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

TheAttackSlug posted:

That's convenient, because I'm taking the MEE for Missouri tomorrow and all of this business crap just kinda runs together like the gray-brown petrified wad of Gak that was their inevitable end.

I'm taking the MO bar tomorrow too. Good luck goons!

Neko Sou
Jan 24, 2006
Scarved Wonder
It's bidding time for OCI, and my grades are not good enough to make any of the required cutoffs. Should I try bidding on the ones that just say "xx% preferred" (as opposed to required) or should I not even bother at all? I don't really have a chance but I'm not super-interested in that kind of work anyway (I promise it's not just sour grapes). Career services people told me last semester I'd have to find a job on my own anyway because no one on our list does family law and I'd need to find some small firm for that. I feel kind of scared and screwed :smith:. I have a mentor through law women who is going to introduce me to a DR court judge and the judge I'm doing my externship with now has been introducing us to people left and right, but I don't really know where to go from here. How do you make the jump from "we had lunch once and it was pleasant" to "hey can I have a job"?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Neko Sou posted:

It's bidding time for OCI, and my grades are not good enough to make any of the required cutoffs. Should I try bidding on the ones that just say "xx% preferred" (as opposed to required) or should I not even bother at all? I don't really have a chance but I'm not super-interested in that kind of work anyway (I promise it's not just sour grapes). Career services people told me last semester I'd have to find a job on my own anyway because no one on our list does family law and I'd need to find some small firm for that. I feel kind of scared and screwed :smith:. I have a mentor through law women who is going to introduce me to a DR court judge and the judge I'm doing my externship with now has been introducing us to people left and right, but I don't really know where to go from here. How do you make the jump from "we had lunch once and it was pleasant" to "hey can I have a job"?

1) USE ALL OF YOUR BIDS. ALL OF THEM. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE

2) Call those people up. Have informational interviews. Go out to lunch with them (you're a starving law student, they'll buy). Say "Tell me about practicing family law!" "Gee, that sounds neat, I want to do that! Do you know anyone else who needs help or anyone I should call up?" and the most important question I've found is "Can you recommend anyone else I should talk to?"

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 25, 2011

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Neko Sou posted:

For the bidding, unless you're blowing bids that could go somewhere useful (and it doesn't sound like that's the case), there's no crime in bidding on stuff near the required cutoffs. If you're 20% and they say 15%, go for it - the worst that happens is that you don't get offered an interview. Obviously don't do this if career services has some weird policy about doing that. Go for the low hanging fruit, obviously - bid on the 33% cut-off before the 15% one if you're below both, but otherwise, go for it.

CaptainScraps is right: I bid on plenty that were just outside of my range, and got interviews with several. Again, what's the worst that can happen?

As to your second question, you work it pretty much like you said. Depending upon how things felt with that attorney and how confident you are, call them up or send them a letter (you'll know if they felt informal enough for a call or not, but it's probably going to better produce results than a letter). The basic gist should run like this: "Judge X introduced us and we had lunch about a month back, remember? I really appreciated you taking the time to talk to me about X, Y, Z. I'm really interested in Family law and was hoping that you'd have an opening for a summer associate next summer." That's really how it goes.

This is another one of those, "What's the worst that can happen?" scenarios. These people were 2Ls once, too, and they know how it works. They may not be able to offer you a summer associate position, but that's basically the worst that can happen. Plenty who can't will, as CaptainScraps pointed out, be happy to point you to ones who can.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
I just want a 160k, D.C. biglaw, 2200 billable requirement job.

Is that so much to ask?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Neko Sou posted:

It's bidding time for OCI, and my grades are not good enough to make any of the required cutoffs. Should I try bidding on the ones that just say "xx% preferred" (as opposed to required) or should I not even bother at all?

Schools you can afford to blow off OCI don't let them do those cutoffs so you can't afford to blow off OCI. Give it your best shot, and go for the ones you think you have the best shot of actually getting hired.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
I worked out an amazing sweetheart deal for a client only to have him get caught with fake urine on him when they took him into custody. It was fun going back out and listening to the Judge explain the concept of perjury to him.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

For OCIs just do as many as you can. Why the hell not? I got hired for a 2L summer clerkship (and later fired).

Neko Sou
Jan 24, 2006
Scarved Wonder
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I appreciate it. :)

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

Stunt Rock posted:

I worked out an amazing sweetheart deal for a client only to have him get caught with fake urine on him when they took him into custody. It was fun going back out and listening to the Judge explain the concept of perjury to him.

But, your honor, my client now realizes the errors of his ways!

Neko Sou
Jan 24, 2006
Scarved Wonder
I have kind of a weird question. I have something on my resume that says I was a delegate to a young Muslims leadership thing in DC. I haven't had a lot of legal stuff until just this summer and my pending Legal Aid externship in the fall, so I feel like I need to keep it on. My husband thinks having something that says I'm Muslim is a bad idea since I'm in Ohio and there are definitely quite a few racists in the area. I personally think if people are racist and wouldn't want to work with me because of that then I don't want that job, since it'd make things pretty awkward. My mentor (5th year associate at a local biglaw firm) agrees with me. But an actual Arab attorney I met with (he's Christian) said that it would be a big problem and he goes out of his way to put that he's a member of such-and-such church. My name is very Arabic, so regardless of whether or not my religion is displayed somewhere on my resume I feel like racists would know something was up. I'm sort of hoping someone will view it as a kind of diversity as well, but I don't know how well that will work. To be honest, I feel like it's a big part of who I am, and talking about wanting to help the community tends to give me something to talk about at our networking events. People tend to respond to it pretty well.

Anyway, should I take it off, or just edit the religious part out? I don't like the idea of doing this but I don't want to hurt my chances for a job either. :(

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Neko Sou posted:

Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: I feel kind of scared and screwed

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Neko Sou posted:

I have kind of a weird question. I have something on my resume that says I was a delegate to a young Muslims leadership thing in DC. I haven't had a lot of legal stuff until just this summer and my pending Legal Aid externship in the fall, so I feel like I need to keep it on. My husband thinks having something that says I'm Muslim is a bad idea since I'm in Ohio and there are definitely quite a few racists in the area. I personally think if people are racist and wouldn't want to work with me because of that then I don't want that job, since it'd make things pretty awkward. My mentor (5th year associate at a local biglaw firm) agrees with me. But an actual Arab attorney I met with (he's Christian) said that it would be a big problem and he goes out of his way to put that he's a member of such-and-such church. My name is very Arabic, so regardless of whether or not my religion is displayed somewhere on my resume I feel like racists would know something was up. I'm sort of hoping someone will view it as a kind of diversity as well, but I don't know how well that will work. To be honest, I feel like it's a big part of who I am, and talking about wanting to help the community tends to give me something to talk about at our networking events. People tend to respond to it pretty well.

Anyway, should I take it off, or just edit the religious part out? I don't like the idea of doing this but I don't want to hurt my chances for a job either. :(

I'll be honest: if you're looking for an Ohio job, you're probably better off editing it out :smith:

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER
I mean, you knew being a lawyer would be soul crushing from the start.

Though maybe you thought that was a metaphor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Good luck to our crop of bar takers this summer. I'm glad to not be among you this time ~~