Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bag of Bones is being turned into a 4 hour miniseries with Pierce Brosnan as the lead, Mike Noonan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

muscles like this? posted:

Bag of Bones is being turned into a 4 hour miniseries with Pierce Brosnan as the lead, Mike Noonan.

I am very interested. I enjoyed it more than most people (based on the way this thread hated it). I wanna know who is going to play the old man and his assistance.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Everything about that news is gross to me.

*edit* I guess Brosnan would be a decent choice now. I still unconsciously remember him through the lens of 2000-era movies.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Bag of Bones probably falls right behind Lisey's Song as my least favorite King novel. Though to be fair, I loath Lisey's Song so Bag of Bones isn't all that bad by comparison. I don't really see how it could make an interesting mini series though.

Was anyone else kinda disappointed by Just After Sunset? King's short stories are usually my favorites, but damned if I can even remember what most of them were about. Something about a hosed up homicidal cat, and one about a nuke.

Edit: Wait. I just read the synopsis for Mile 81.

Do we really need a loving third haunted car book? Really? Starting to wonder if King has just flat run out of ideas or something.

I will end up reading it anyway. :smith:

spixxor fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 23, 2011

FRACTURED ASS
Oct 27, 2010

e

FRACTURED ASS fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 3, 2020

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
It's not cell phones but The Signal is a fantastic movie with the same themes and works better than Cell.

Is Mile 81 a new novel? That's a crazy amount of output even if the new DT book is only 300+ pages long. The impression I got from reading the synopsis is that the road is more the boogeyman than the car is but either way that's been done before too both by King (Riding the bullet) and, to a much better extent, in Havock Junction by Joe Donnelly.

Someone really needs to tell him to re-read what he has of The Plant and finish the drat thing. I really liked what he had started there and would love to see how things turned out. But I guess it was more of a new way of getting his work to his readers and once the excitement died down so did the reason for writing it.

For an author who constantly says that the story is the boss he sure seems to pull rank and let other things get in the way.

edit: Oh, Mile 81 is only 80 pages. Pfft, stop dicking around King and start the new Danny Torrence novel or hook in with Straub for the last in that trilogy. Remember when we used to get a new King novel and it was new and not some recovered relic or addition to an already supposed finished body of work?

Exception granted for more of the Plant though.

Local Group Bus fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 23, 2011

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

spixxor posted:

Do we really need a loving third haunted car book? Really? Starting to wonder if King has just flat run out of ideas or something.

I will end up reading it anyway. :smith:

He also wrote two (at least that I've read) short stories on the same subject, and ones about various other killer machines. A fear of machines and machinery in general seems to be a theme of his.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

spixxor posted:

Bag of Bones probably falls right behind Lisey's Song as my least favorite King novel. Though to be fair, I loath Lisey's Song so Bag of Bones isn't all that bad by comparison. I don't really see how it could make an interesting mini series though.

Bag of Bones might be interesting just for the small town Maine stuff and the creepy (human) characters. I wish King would do more non supernatural/horror writing. He's really talented at capturing periods and characters in U.S. history and the feel of certain towns. If he took all that ghost poo poo out of Bag of Bones and kept it straight forward as a creepy mystery it would have been a hell of a lot better.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
Problem is if he took the paranormal stuff out of Bag of Bones Mike would still be living in Derry. It was the paranormal force that made Mike buy Sara Laughs.

Have you read Hearts In Atlantis? It's pretty much exactly what you described, a non-supernatural period piece with some great characters. I think he got Peter Straub to write that one for him. :ssh:

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Bag of Bones miniseries could be pretty good, I actually liked that book pretty well. I'll be interested to see how one of the scenes translates though: The one where the old guy and his assistant scare Mike in to the water and almost kill him. If the casting is menacing enough and the scene is well acted that could be really tense like it was in the book, but there's also a good chance of it being unintentionally hilarious.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

spixxor posted:

Was anyone else kinda disappointed by Just After Sunset? King's short stories are usually my favorites, but damned if I can even remember what most of them were about. Something about a hosed up homicidal cat, and one about a nuke.

Just After Sunset gets a pass from me because it contained "N", King's best short story in like 20 years.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'd also point out that a few of the stories in Just After Sunset were ones written around the same time the stories in Night Shift were, but simply not in a King collection yet. The cat one is one of those.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Yeah, that particular one was adapted for Creepshow (or Creepshow 2).

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

fishmech posted:

I'd also point out that a few of the stories in Just After Sunset were ones written around the same time the stories in Night Shift were, but simply not in a King collection yet. The cat one is one of those.

See, and Night Shift is one of my favorites. Maybe I need to give it a re-read or something, it just seemed decidedly lackluster when I read it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

spixxor posted:

See, and Night Shift is one of my favorites. Maybe I need to give it a re-read or something, it just seemed decidedly lackluster when I read it.

Part of what makes the cat one seem kind of off is, as the notes at the end of the book tell you, the fact that it was originally written for a contest.

Readers of the men's magazine it ran in were to read the first chunk of it, send in their own ending, and the winner got it published and some cash. Don't have the book handy but King ended up losing the original story and the magazine it was in and forgot about it until a fan asked him, and I don't remember whether the full story is the original ending that King wrote (tho wasn't published) or one King wrote after the fan reminded him of the story existing.

Edit: looking it up, King did write the ending back in 1977 and it was published alongside the winner in the magazine.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Creflo Chronicle posted:

Bag of Bones miniseries could be pretty good, I actually liked that book pretty well. I'll be interested to see how one of the scenes translates though: The one where the old guy and his assistant scare Mike in to the water and almost kill him. If the casting is menacing enough and the scene is well acted that could be really tense like it was in the book, but there's also a good chance of it being unintentionally hilarious.

Also potential hilarity: ghost handjob

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
I'm still a fan of Christine.

I like the rage and unstoppable, infectious hate.

It's loving scary.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pet Semetary is still King's scariest book, to me.

It just builds and builds, getting worse with every burial. And it's one of King's few books with an ending that works on multiple levels. There's no lengthy denouement, no sense of rushing to shear dangling plot threads, it simply ends in a fashion that both makes sense and hints at far worse things to come.

It, however, is still my favorite, closely followed by The Stand.

I'm also fond of The Tommyknockers for some reason. I know it's not one of King's best works, but I still re-read it from time to time.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Pet Semetary is still King's scariest book, to me.

It just builds and builds, getting worse with every burial. And it's one of King's few books with an ending that works on multiple levels. There's no lengthy denouement, no sense of rushing to shear dangling plot threads, it simply ends in a fashion that both makes sense and hints at far worse things to come.

It, however, is still my favorite, closely followed by The Stand.

I'm also fond of The Tommyknockers for some reason. I know it's not one of King's best works, but I still re-read it from time to time.

I loved Tommyknockers right up until the "Oh, it's aliens." realization. I just don't find aliens scary, in book form at least.

It wasn't a bad book it just lost all ability to creep me out as soon as I knew what the scary thing was.

I agree on Pet Semetary, book scared the bejeezus out of me when I first read it as a kid. So did "The Boogeyman" from Night Shift, and Pennywise from IT.

Now I think about it King is responsible for a good chunk of childhood trauma for me. Although my mom was the one who decided to raise me on a diet of Stephen King and horror movies from roughly the age of 6, which was either awesome or terrible of her, I can't decide which.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
I've been thinking about Pet Semetary for some reason lately. The trip through the woods, and he would drop hints about the crazy poo poo he could barely make out in the distance off the trail, not sure why I liked that part so much.

Wish he expanded on it a bit more, but I guess that might take away some of the horror, if you give to much information.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Yeah, I really loved that part too. How he hinted about a wendigo even. I think it was about the right level of exposure.

Honestly that book was pretty much perfect, and I'm mad I can't find a version on audible.com

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

spixxor posted:

I loved Tommyknockers right up until the "Oh, it's aliens." realization. I just don't find aliens scary, in book form at least.

I kind of liked how the aliens were handled. It's one thing to just say "Hey, look, little green men." It's another entirely to have some sort of weird atmospheric contamination slowly twisting the local population into little green men.

Also, the gadgets were awesome.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JammyLammy posted:

I've been thinking about Pet Semetary for some reason lately. The trip through the woods, and he would drop hints about the crazy poo poo he could barely make out in the distance off the trail, not sure why I liked that part so much.

Wish he expanded on it a bit more, but I guess that might take away some of the horror, if you give to much information.

I had to stop and put the book down for a bit when I got to that part. I've never been that creeped the gently caress out by a book before, it was amazing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I had to stop and put the book down for a bit when I got to that part. I've never been that creeped the gently caress out by a book before, it was amazing.

That first, detailed trip through the woods is really, really well done. King shows just enough to let your imagination fill in all the gaps, and whatever vague images roll through your mind will be worse than anything he could come up with.

The only other scene in the book that scares me is when the undead kid picks up daddy's scalpel and starts in on everyone around him.

poo poo I'm gonna have to re-read the book now.

MyLightyear
Jul 2, 2006
A blindness that touches perfection,
But hurts just like anything else.

ConfusedUs posted:

I found the Altair 4 stuff pretty chilling for some reason. Overall the book got a little silly at the end but considering King's busted mental state when he wrote it I found it pretty damned good.

I also liked the weird tie in with Gardiner meeting Jack from The Talisman.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MyLightyear posted:

I found the Altair 4 stuff pretty chilling for some reason. Overall the book got a little silly at the end but considering King's busted mental state when he wrote it I found it pretty damned good.

I also liked the weird tie in with Gardiner meeting Jack from The Talisman.

On the beach, at the beginning, right?

I always thought that, if that were the same Jack, the characterization was off. That Jack seemed too sullen.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Man, do I love The Tommyknockers. It has its very silly moments and it's a little too long for its own good... but by god, is it creepy.

Though the message kind of beats you over the head; NUCLEAR POWER AND DRUGS BAD. Still, I can't help but love it for its good bits.. like Gardner's nuclear power rant near the beginning.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

FreezingInferno posted:

Man, do I love The Tommyknockers. It has its very silly moments and it's a little too long for its own good... but by god, is it creepy.

Though the message kind of beats you over the head; NUCLEAR POWER AND DRUGS BAD. Still, I can't help but love it for its good bits.. like Gardner's nuclear power rant near the beginning.

That rant is amazing. King can really write when he tries.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
So...I read The Shining and The Stand 10-ish years ago and enjoyed them, but this thread is making me think that nothing SK has written is worth a poo poo. Are there any books of his that are worth reading?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oldstench posted:

So...I read The Shining and The Stand 10-ish years ago and enjoyed them, but this thread is making me think that nothing SK has written is worth a poo poo. Are there any books of his that are worth reading?

In short, yes.

In long form...
I'd say that most of us in here are fans, in spite of all King's flaws. I can recognize where he is weak (endings, reusing certain themes), but when compared to his strengths (nearly everything else), it's not that big of a deal. The guy can write dialogue and colloquial dialect like few others. He can build a home, a town, or a world. Relationships rarely seem forced, and he's a deft hand at building that sense of wrongness that underlies most good horror.

We have, for the past half page, been discussing Pet Semataray as one of his best works. It is. You should read it. You should read It, too, which is excellent other than one really weird scene at the end. Most of his short story collections, especially the early ones, are great. Night Shift is probably the best of those, with a good half dozen of excellent reads. The Dead Zone gets praise, if not as much, and is fairly unique amongst his works. King co-wrote The Talisman with Peter Straub, and it is very, very good.

Most people will agree that most of the books above are good. Not all, but most. And I'm entirely sure I'm leaving a few out. Carrie has a following, as does Misery, for example. You already mentioned The Stand and The Shining.

Once you get past those core books, the rest are somewhat hit and miss. Some people hate The Tommyknockers. I like the book despite its flaws. I found The Running Man to be stellar, but there's others who prefer the cheese-tastic 80s Arnold film.

Okay, so I like the movie too.

There's plenty of other King books like that. Some people love them, others don't. Firestarter is one such. Salem's Lot. Insomnia. The entire Dark Tower series is particular polarizing, books four and seven in particular.

So, yes, it is worth reading Stephen King. Most agree that his newest stories are weaker than his earlier, drug-fueled dark fantasies, and that is probably true. So start with his early stuff. Read onwards. Stop if and when you feel he lost his touch.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wait... There are people that don't like 'Salem's Lot? Who are these broken individuals?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ornamented Death posted:

Wait... There are people that don't like 'Salem's Lot? Who are these broken individuals?

I personally know a couple. I thought it was great!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

One of his best. Shame about the lackluster movies, but that's pretty par for the course. Although I might be misremembering the recent one as bad.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

ConfusedUs posted:

Are they vampires?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ridonkulous posted:

Are they vampires?

...maybe? One of them does tend to sleep all day, works nights, and has for as long as I've known him.

The other, definitely not.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

ConfusedUs posted:

Also, the gadgets were awesome.

My favorite bit was the flying Coke machine. A pity it didn't make it into the mini-series.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FreezingInferno posted:

The nuclear power I got the exact opposite, Gard was so ridiculously over-the-top in the way that he believed literally anything about nuclear power being bad (while at the same time being completely ignorant of the most basic mechanics of it all, like thinking that nuclear waste could reach critical mass) that I never took his rants as being King's own thoughts. They were just a crazy, out-of-control guy channeling his rage and insanity into a pet cause regardless of logic or science supporting it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Farbtoner posted:

They were just a crazy, out-of-control guy channeling his rage and insanity into a pet cause regardless of logic or science supporting it.

Which was Stephen King at the time, who was of course high on 6 different things at once as well as drunk all through the early and mid 80s.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mister Kingdom posted:

My favorite bit was the flying Coke machine. A pity it didn't make it into the mini-series.

Mine too! A close second for Tommyknocker gadgets is the flying weed-whacker that reads brain waves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Farbtoner posted:

The nuclear power I got the exact opposite, Gard was so ridiculously over-the-top in the way that he believed literally anything about nuclear power being bad (while at the same time being completely ignorant of the most basic mechanics of it all, like thinking that nuclear waste could reach critical mass) that I never took his rants as being King's own thoughts. They were just a crazy, out-of-control guy channeling his rage and insanity into a pet cause regardless of logic or science supporting it.

Yeah that was the same impression I got after recently rereading the book.