Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
I have a question about cats.

My cat is sort of black/white/grey in different patterns, and I find it really fascinating how his hairs will be white at the root, then black in the middle, and white at the tip. Sometimes it's the other way around and goes black/white/black or black/white/grey and I really don't understand the mechanism behind how this is done.

For example, if you look at the hair on my head or beard (I am going grey) they are either black or white with no variation. It's a binary pattern - hairs are either one color or the other color. So how exactly does my cat have hairs that are one color, then another color, then the first color again? How does his body command his follicles to do this? Do most animals have hair like this? Why don't humans have this mechanism, or do they? Are there people with hair that alternates color?

I find this fascinating but it's not a question that can be easily answered by a google search. Maybe one of you knows a lot about cats or biology and can help me out here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I'm shopping for a 200 - 300 dollar refurb desktop for my girlfriend's kids to do schoolwork on and such.

a. I think there is a Yiddish word for "girlfriend's children" but I can't remember it. Is there any kind of English word that is equivalent?

b. Is there an Athlon that is comparable to an i3? For sub-$300 refurbs I guess I'm looking at Athlon xIIs, but I was mostly just curious.

c. If everything else was equal, which would be better for general purpose stuff, not graphics intensive:
a computer with a 3 ghz processor that has DDR2 RAM or a 1.8 ghz processor but DDR3 RAM?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Be Depressive posted:

My cat is sort of black/white/grey in different patterns, and I find it really fascinating how his hairs will be white at the root, then black in the middle, and white at the tip. Sometimes it's the other way around and goes black/white/black or black/white/grey and I really don't understand the mechanism behind how this is done.

For example, if you look at the hair on my head or beard (I am going grey) they are either black or white with no variation. It's a binary pattern - hairs are either one color or the other color. So how exactly does my cat have hairs that are one color, then another color, then the first color again? How does his body command his follicles to do this? Do most animals have hair like this? Why don't humans have this mechanism, or do they? Are there people with hair that alternates color?

I find this fascinating but it's not a question that can be easily answered by a google search. Maybe one of you knows a lot about cats or biology and can help me out here.

I think some but not all cats have a gene where banding will happen on their hairs. Feel free to reask here for more expert opinions:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701637

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Very Strange Things posted:

I'm shopping for a 200 - 300 dollar refurb desktop for my girlfriend's kids to do schoolwork on and such.

a. I think there is a Yiddish word for "girlfriend's children" but I can't remember it. Is there any kind of English word that is equivalent?

b. Is there an Athlon that is comparable to an i3? For sub-$300 refurbs I guess I'm looking at Athlon xIIs, but I was mostly just curious.

c. If everything else was equal, which would be better for general purpose stuff, not graphics intensive:
a computer with a 3 ghz processor that has DDR2 RAM or a 1.8 ghz processor but DDR3 RAM?

a. No idea

b. Not really.

c. Is the 1.8 ghz processor dual core? if so that's better.Actually even if not a system still using DDR2 RAM is using a pretty old cpu anyway and is probably lovely.

Also: have you considered just buying a netbook? They could carry it around the place if they want, but it'd also be able to be connected to external monitor/keyboard/mouse etc. It should perform as well as a refurb desktop for what they need.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a. If they're yours, "bastards".

b. That's a difficult question to answer as there are many benchmarks, clock speeds, and tweaks you can do.

c. You want processor speed, your RAM will not make the slightest bit of difference in standard office apps. But, as noted above listed speed does not equal real performance.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
First I would like to say yes I googled this first and came up with pages and pages of crap so here I am asking the goon community hoping I don't get probated! Next I wasn't really sure where to post this but it's a question so ask and tell seemed appropriate. I am just looking for a site or a way to get a name from a cell phone number without paying any money, plain and simple. Thanks ahead of time for any help.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.
Is it likely that termites would come inside a house? I've recently (as in, three or four days ago) noticed a lot of bugs that look like ants with very long, thin wings inside my house. They look sorta like some of the Google images of termites, but my property management place isn't calling me back about an exterminator. Our house normally has almost no bugs at all except spiders, so I'm especially creeped out by these things.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mindisgone posted:

First I would like to say yes I googled this first and came up with pages and pages of crap so here I am asking the goon community hoping I don't get probated! Next I wasn't really sure where to post this but it's a question so ask and tell seemed appropriate. I am just looking for a site or a way to get a name from a cell phone number without paying any money, plain and simple. Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Cell phone numbers are the hardest to get identifiable information from. Most cell companies don't bother to do full caller id, only the number itself. Cell phone numbers are also never published in directories unlike landlines.

You're basically only going to be able to get a name from it through law enforcement, a friend who works at the right cell carrier (which how would you know ahead of time anyway?), or scouring social networks trying to find mention of the number.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.

fishmech posted:

Cell phone numbers are the hardest to get identifiable information from. Most cell companies don't bother to do full caller id, only the number itself. Cell phone numbers are also never published in directories unlike landlines.

You're basically only going to be able to get a name from it through law enforcement, a friend who works at the right cell carrier (which how would you know ahead of time anyway?), or scouring social networks trying to find mention of the number.

Thank you very much. I figured it would be a dead end but so is the reason I needed that information for anyway.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mindisgone posted:

Thank you very much. I figured it would be a dead end but so is the reason I needed that information for anyway.

Call the number and ask who it is?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Why is that every time I go to tv.gawker.com, I see that goddamned "Hear Bill Maher’s Prophetic Words About Charlie Sheen From 2009" link that was posted - near as I can tell - four months ago? It's the same with the other two "top stories" - they're both several months old, too.

This is a fairly popular site with a good design, I can't figure out how something so loving dumb and annoying keeps happening. This just bugs me to no end, it makes no sense.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

baquerd posted:

a. If they're yours, "bastards".

b. That's a difficult question to answer as there are many benchmarks, clock speeds, and tweaks you can do.

c. You want processor speed, your RAM will not make the slightest bit of difference in standard office apps. But, as noted above listed speed does not equal real performance.

fishmech posted:

c. Is the 1.8 ghz processor dual core? if so that's better.Actually even if not a system still using DDR2 RAM is using a pretty old cpu anyway and is probably lovely.

Also: have you considered just buying a netbook? They could carry it around the place if they want, but it'd also be able to be connected to external monitor/keyboard/mouse etc. It should perform as well as a refurb desktop for what they need.

I keep thinking about a Netbook; it's a good idea but I thought I could get more bang for buck from a desktop. The woman seems to think they'd work better at a desk anyway, and wouldn't be able to bicker about who has the netbook.

Thanks guys.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

What are some useful skills I can learn in my free time? I thought of learning a programming language, but what one is useful and learnable on your own? Java? I'd probably use it for websites if anything, as I have no experience with web development but would like to.

Edit: Also bartending. Any good mixology books for learning on your own?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Econosaurus posted:

What are some useful skills I can learn in my free time? I thought of learning a programming language, but what one is useful and learnable on your own? Java? I'd probably use it for websites if anything, as I have no experience with web development but would like to.

Useful in what context? Learn a second or third language.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I keep thinking about a Netbook; it's a good idea but I thought I could get more bang for buck from a desktop. The woman seems to think they'd work better at a desk anyway, and wouldn't be able to bicker about who has the netbook.

Thanks guys.

Try looking for nettops by the way, they're essentially netbook price, netbook components, but in a very small desktop case.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In TV shows or movies involving military people constantly say "with all due respect", does anyone actually ever say that?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Yes, it's the way you tell a superior they're loving up while acknowledging who's boss.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Econosaurus posted:

Java is not great for doing web development, at least for one person doing everything. Python is a good general language and has decent libraries for helping you do web development. Ruby on Rails might get you going faster for a webpage, but I think it might have a steeper learning curve if you're starting from scratch.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I have fears about grad school, but am only in my senior year of undergrad. What's the most appropriate place for me to worry aloud/ask for advice here?

Econosaurus posted:

Try learning a creative skill that will offer you years of enjoyment and pleasure and a chance to entertain others. Picking up an instrument's a fun way of getting into this.

If you think that's garbage skill, then I vote for learning a new language. But not a computer one, though I'm sure that's useful as well.

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 25, 2011

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Econosaurus posted:

You should google bars in your area and see if any have mixology classes! A few bars around me have weekend classes to make and try some drinks and learn some fun recipes to impress your friends with. Fancy stuff with funny names, not standard bartending school stuff. No idea on good books though.

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn

JDanielS posted:

I have fears about grad school, but am only in my senior year of undergrad. What's the most appropriate place for me to worry aloud/ask for advice here?

One of these. They might not cheer you up though, goons aren't always the happiest group of people.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364373
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3325180

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I just got a set of second-hand earthenware dishes from the 60s and a few of the dishes have cracks in them. Is there a good way to seal the cracks? The set's complete as long as I can keep it all together.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

jackpot posted:

Why is that every time I go to tv.gawker.com, I see that goddamned "Hear Bill Maher’s Prophetic Words About Charlie Sheen From 2009" link that was posted - near as I can tell - four months ago? It's the same with the other two "top stories" - they're both several months old, too.

This is a fairly popular site with a good design, I can't figure out how something so loving dumb and annoying keeps happening. This just bugs me to no end, it makes no sense.

Their site redesign is awful and I guess "top stories" has to be manually updated or is otherwise broken. You could just go to

http://blog.tv.gawker.com/

but that's not really a solution.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Econosaurus posted:

I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, here, but any computer language you learn is going to evolve and change to the point where, if you don't use it on a regular basis, it'll be useless to you within a few years. You can't just learn, say, Java, and then not use it for two years; (besides the fact that you'll forget it all) things will have changed to the point where you'll basically be starting from scratch. The fundamentals will still be there, but you'll be really behind.

Xandu posted:

Their site redesign is awful and I guess "top stories" has to be manually updated or is otherwise broken. You could just go to

http://blog.tv.gawker.com/

but that's not really a solution.
Yeah, I think it's just a lovely redesign, like you said. I'm more curious than I am annoyed; it's just a dumb way to do things.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

fishmech posted:

Who told you you can't purchase the equipment? We purchased our HD DVR box from Comcast flat out instead of paying the rental charge.

That definitely wasn't an option for me, where are you located?

I did end up getting the box, I like how they charged me a $10 "equipment pickup fee" when I picked it dropped off the old box and picked up the new one myself.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

actionjackson posted:

That definitely wasn't an option for me, where are you located?

I did end up getting the box, I like how they charged me a $10 "equipment pickup fee" when I picked it dropped off the old box and picked up the new one myself.

New Jersey, I assume it's just your local cable office being dicks then.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I sent an email, I figure if I bug them enough they'll waive it but who knows.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Huntersoninski posted:

I just got a set of second-hand earthenware dishes from the 60s and a few of the dishes have cracks in them. Is there a good way to seal the cracks? The set's complete as long as I can keep it all together.

When you say "cracks", do you mean cracks in the glaze, or are they unglazed terra cotta and the cracks are in the body of the dish itself?

If the cracks are in the glaze: Are you planning to eat off of these dishes, or is it a collectible display-only set? There can be health issues with eating off of crazed and cracked dinnerware: (1) unless you're absolutely certain it wasn't glazed with lead-based glaze (which many older dinnerware sets and especially Third-World sets such as souvenir Mexican terra-cotta dishes can have), the crack in the glaze may be leaching lead into your food, and (2) the issue of bacteria thriving in the cracks themselves, which depends on how humongous the cracks are.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8280573_causes-crazing-dinnerware.html

This is an ongoing debate among the collectible-dishes people: to use it, or not? The above is the conservative, safety-first approach.

If the cracks you describe are only crazing in the glaze, there is no way to fix or seal them outside of coating the entire dish in some kind of acrylic or polyurethane varnish, which would pretty much preclude using them as dishes.

If the cracks are in the body of the dish itself (i.e. it's broken), you can use any kind of Super Glue, household cement, epoxy, craft glue, or even regular Elmer's Glue (not the washable school glue) to stick it back together. The glued dishes will require careful washing and IMO aren't really usable after they've been glued back together, because all that business about "stronger at the mended place" is crap in my experience. A broken and mended teacup tends to break again at the precise spot where you glued it, or maybe it's just that the Teacup Fairies hate me.

Fig Newton fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 26, 2011

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I have some questions about donating money to charitable organizations. Is there already a thread about that somewhere, or if not, where should I post one? A/T? BFC? PYF? D&D?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's something that's cheap and easily replaceable, but still satisfying to smash to bits?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

hooah posted:

What's something that's cheap and easily replaceable, but still satisfying to smash to bits?

Bubble wrap?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hooah posted:

Incandescent light bulbs. 6 pack costs 70 cents!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Be Depressive posted:

Definitely ask in one of the question threads in Pet Island. There's a poster who works specifically on cat genetics and she can explain it to you.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

fishmech posted:

Incandescent light bulbs. 6 pack costs 70 cents!

I like it, but it's a little too dangerous. Also, not quite substantial enough.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

hooah posted:

Babies.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

hooah posted:

I like it, but it's a little too dangerous. Also, not quite substantial enough.

What about cinder blocks from Home Depot, etc.?

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

hooah posted:

Balloons?

e: substantial you say

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Etiquette question: I'm applying for a job via email. I had to ask a question about the vacancy earlier, so when I wrote the lady an email I addressed it "Dear Ms Smith." When she replied, she addressed me "Dear Mary" and signed off with "Best, Jane." This is the same person I will be sending my CV and cover letter to, so how do I address her? Last name or first name?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Yes, it's the way you tell a superior they're loving up while acknowledging who's boss.
Oh weird, didn't see that coming. So it's an official part of procedure, same as saluting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
I'm Tryin to figure out a quoteand it's source but google is not helping because I don't have enough of the quote. Please help.

"A (Profession/title- Wizard/Warrior/Captain) does not (imply/infer/some way of stating something) nor does he (something), (something), or (something along the same lines as the original)"

Google brings up the quote from The Fellowship of the Ring (movie) "A Wizard is never late, Frodo Bagins, nor is her early. He arrives precisely when he means to". This,however, is not the quote I'm looking for.