Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

D C posted:

This, it's easier to go from ice to roller then the other way around. inline can give you some bad habits.
I got a buddy of mine to pick up ice and he still has trouble pulling off a hockey stop. And for whatever reason (I can think of a couple), people who only play inline growing up don't bother to learn how to skate backward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

real_scud posted:

Also if someone can wear 14" shinguards I have some RBK 11k ones I'm trying to get rid of, they don't fit me so figure I'll give you guys first pass before I turn to eBay or elsewhere. Would be willing to let 'em go for $50 + shipping
Guess I should've posted but these are already claimed and paid for.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Gio posted:

I got a buddy of mine to pick up ice and he still has trouble pulling off a hockey stop. And for whatever reason (I can think of a couple), people who only play inline growing up don't bother to learn how to skate backward.

There is no defense in roller hockey.

Also can always tell the 'roller daddies' on ice because they pick up the toe of their inside foot while turning.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

D C posted:

And I loved it :argh:

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

D C posted:

Also can always tell the 'roller daddies' on ice because they pick up the toe of their inside foot while turning.

Yeah, even funner is when I step down on that toe for balance and collapse like someone just chopped my leg off.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
We were super short tonight so we got some ringers who play 11ty billion levels higher but the other team did the same thing and we lost 10-8:smith:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Ug, at my game on Wednesday I collided with a guy on my first shift and something hit me in the throat. I finished the game but my throat has felt hosed up since then so I decided that probably shouldn't play until I see a doc and know my airway isn't about to collapse or something. Can you break your throat?

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Thufir posted:

Ug, at my game on Wednesday I collided with a guy on my first shift and something hit me in the throat. I finished the game but my throat has felt hosed up since then so I decided that probably shouldn't play until I see a doc and know my airway isn't about to collapse or something. Can you break your throat?

:stare:

Throat, testicles, neck injuries are best dealt with by getting checked out. I imagine there is not much they can do, but might be able to tell you to not play for a week or so.

At least it was not a skate :unsmigghh:

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Thufir posted:

My airway felt hosed up and swollen for a few days after I caught a puck under my adams apple. It's probably nothing but you should get it checked out anyways.

E: I actually played on a team (I sub all over) with the guy who shot that puck on Tuesday. In the locker room he kept eyeballing me then finally blurted out "Are you the guy I almost killed?"

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
Just gonna say this: Forfeits are the lamest thing in the world. So pumped and ready to go, we get on the ice, the other team captain shows up and goes "So...we only have two guys.."

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

toxicsunset posted:

Just gonna say this: Forfeits are the lamest thing in the world. So pumped and ready to go, we get on the ice, the other team captain shows up and goes "So...we only have two guys.."

Two guys :psyduck:

When this used to happen we would just have some of our team play for them and have a fun game for an hour so we would not just lose rink time. It was often with one regular goalie and some guy who took half an hour to dress as another goalie.

On another note, I did an MSPaint of your avatar as one of the most memorable on here.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

In our league we just scrimmage. What's lame is the refs take off. They're getting paid they should at least drop the drat puck.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Chemmy posted:

In our league we just scrimmage. What's lame is the refs take off. They're getting paid they should at least drop the drat puck.

This is what we do, too. It was actually really fun to play against teammates and I even scored a goal on our goalie. Guess how many goals I scored the rest of the season 0

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
We did scrimmage. But it was still fuckin lame.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

D C posted:

Not quite sure what you mean by the bit about picking up your toe?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Habibi posted:

Not quite sure what you mean by the bit about picking up your toe?

I've seen this. Some (not all) inline players have a tendency to lift their left toe, digging in their heel when they turn left. It sort of acts like a brake because by digging your heel as an anchor, your body will pivot around it.

I think the most obvious tendency of inline players on ice is that they don't stop moving. When playing inline, starting from a dead stop is harder than if you have a rolling start so a lot of players will circle rather than completely stopping because stopping takes more effort.

It's pretty interesting to see other people comment on this as I often transfer between ice and inline, with inline being the majority of my play time.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Circling instead of stopping is common in any new ice player, whether they came from roller or not.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

With inline skates, the front wheel's usuable surface comes all the way around to pretty much the toe of your boot, whereas in ice, your blade is just what's parallel to the ground.

Since sharp edges aren't as sure footed in roller as they are in ice, a lot of the time if I'm making a sharp turn with my outside foot, I'll hang the inside foot with my toe facing straight down for an added bit of balance (taking some of the weight off the turning foot).

This isn't necessary or even possible in ice, but it's a habit I developed over a decade of roller (and not playing much ice). I've been playing ice again for a couple years now and don't do it any more but for the first couple months it happened a lot.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

ManicJason posted:

Circling instead of stopping is common in any new ice player, whether they came from roller or not.

While this may be true, it's easy to tell them apart because generally the people coming over from roller can skate a lot better than the true beginners but still do the circling thing rather than a stop and change direction.

Playing out here in CA was my first real exposure to the contingent of players that started on inline skates and transitioned over. Some of the best goal scorers and stickhandlers I know are roller-ice players, but what I've noticed in game situations is that they tend to try to do a lot themselves and don't have good "hockey sense." The latter is true of most beginners but the difference is that in a lot of cases I've seen the inline players don't actually care about developing it either. v:shobon:v

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
When I go to roller I tend to forget that slowing down is a lot harder to accomplish and overshoot poo poo a lot.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Biggest problem for me switching back and forth between roller and ice is stopping in roller. For at least the first game back in awhile, I attempt to stop and go flat on my face in roller. Then if I don't play ice for awhile, my stops are really crap.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation
I'm a lazy winger, so I curl back all the time.

Nah, I'm kidding, I only do that like 90% of the time.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Minister Robathan posted:

I'm a lazy winger, so I curl back all the time.

Nah, I'm kidding, I only do that like 90% of the time.

I curl in the offensive zone because I feel like it's more efficient to redirect momentum instead of stop/starting. Also I thought, when changing direction to start a breakout, you were SUPPOSED to curl so you give the D-man a longer window to feed you the breakout pass easily

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Won our 6th game in a row last night 12-9. Inline can be so hit or miss sometimes. We played OK, but we had a substitute goalie who was unmotivated garbage. If it wasn't for our defense standing on their heads, our goalie would have lost the game for us even though we were the better team hands down.

Despite the garbage goalie, we still played well and showed our superior puck control and passing game. Luckily their goalie was even worse. He would drop to his knees on every shot, meaning that any high shot would go over his head and in the net. It was sort of awkward because we started just taking shots from the point and they were all finding their way in the back of the net.

I hit 4 posts, got 1 goal and 3 assists. A little bit of a crazy game but it was completely clean and pretty competitive which was nice. One more game in the regular season before playoffs, hoping we can go undefeated.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

toxicsunset posted:

I curl in the offensive zone because I feel like it's more efficient to redirect momentum instead of stop/starting. Also I thought, when changing direction to start a breakout, you were SUPPOSED to curl so you give the D-man a longer window to feed you the breakout pass easily
It's definitely true that you are not supposed to stop/start 100% of the time. If you're expecting a pass quick direction changes are obviously a mistake. On turnovers and on defense is when you see inexperienced players looping around a lot when they should be stopping and starting.

The saying goes something like offense is about smooth transitions and defense is all stops and starts (especially PK).

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Thufir posted:

Oversharing health update: I didn't break my throat but I apparently have some rare neckbone syndrome that the throat trauma aggravated so I might need surgery. Missing games :(

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Thufir posted:

Oversharing health update: I didn't break my throat but I apparently have some rare neckbone syndrome that the throat trauma aggravated so I might need surgery. Missing games :(

Not good times. The bright side is you get great meds after a throat surgery. Wish you good luck with your talk box mishap.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

WouldDesk posted:

Not good times. The bright side is you get great meds after a throat surgery. Wish you good luck with your talk box mishap.

But how do you take them? Backdoor?

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Verman posted:

But how do you take them? Backdoor?

Did not think that through very well. But, suppositories or patches work and better than a pill anyway. Quite a few people (addicts) plug their meds though, as in shoving them up the back door.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Thufir posted:

WHAT!? SHARE.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

coldwind posted:

WHAT!? SHARE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_syndrome

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

He was...too American...:911:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WouldDesk posted:

Did not think that through very well. But, suppositories or patches work and better than a pill anyway. Quite a few people (addicts) plug their meds though, as in shoving them up the back door.

Ya know, if I didn't have a couple Folsom prison guards on my team, I would have thought I was in the wrong thread after reading these past few posts. Hearing about stuff being put in people's butts is sadly a common conversation topic in our locker room :smith:

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ya know, if I didn't have a couple Folsom prison guards on my team, I would have thought I was in the wrong thread after reading these past few posts. Hearing about stuff being put in people's butts is sadly a common conversation topic in our locker room :smith:

Years ago my league director at the time made not so subtle butt plug jokes before each game "OK, everyone check to see if their butt plug is in place, don't want a stick going where it isn't supposed to (as in through our cages. We had to wrap the hell out of that butt)."

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Had 2 inline games this week. The team we put together has been struggling all season as we seem to have difficulty playing as a single unit. I'm sure we'll get better as time goes on though. I just wish we could win a drat game though, and I really thought we were going to get 2 wins this week.

The first game was good. Both teams were equally matched with goals back and forth. They sealed it during the last minute when they scored to go up by 2.

The second game was completely one-sided due to the other team having a ringer from the top division. Keep in mind we're in the lowest of the 4 divisions. The guy would dance around everyone, and then if you body him, he would knock you over. He scored 7 out of their 11 goals. Through all the seasons I've played, I have never lost to this team before, and they have never had more than 1 win any season.

I took video as well with the gopro on my helmet. Watching it again makes me realize how ridiculous it was playing against the guy from the first division. Can't even imagine how that would be fun for him.

First game - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHXgFo7PuSM

Second game, the ringer is #8 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlL6Kq3QQtw

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Moving from Nashville to Philadelphia, and I need a roller hockey league. Curious if anyone knows the philly hockey scene?

I know hockey but am pretty drat bad, mostly due to the fact that I suck at skating and am just not the most athletic person. I don't mind this per say, but my biggest is finding a league that I can at least semi compete in.

My biggest skill set to offer is usually yelling explecitives at the other team and organizing. I end up being captain a lot simply because I make sure our team shows up (and know when to strategically bench myself).

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Loqieu posted:

Had 2 inline games this week.

That rink looks really smooth but how is it playing on wood? I've always played on sport court which allows you to hockey stop to a degree, but the wood seems like it would be sticky.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Verman posted:

That rink looks really smooth but how is it playing on wood? I've always played on sport court which allows you to hockey stop to a degree, but the wood seems like it would be sticky.

It is grippy, but in a good way, there was a rink near my parents that had wood floors, the sealant or whatever the coat it with is pretty nice, really smooth, moreso then the tiles.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Verman posted:

Same as D C said, it's smooth, but very sticky. You can't hockey stop at all unless you use hard outdoor wheels. I use soft wheels myself since I'm too lazy to buy a different pair, but it helps with having really good turning control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

2nd season as a team and we ended up 3rd of 8 after the regular season ended last night.

Best of all, I avoided the Lady Byng trophy and laid someone out who just tackled my goalie. First 2 minutes of the season. :toot:

edit: It was offsetting penalties too, so he got 2 for goalie interference.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 1, 2011