Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Do you have the Steam Community enabled or disabled in-game? What about the Steam Cloud?

Both enabled, but they both were enabled in my last game which only had 1 CTD through the main quest, all 3 DLCs, and a bunch of side quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Are there any good quality mods adding new weapons? I'd like some more variety but I've been burned by a few megamods that add poo poo without proper animations and really making GBS threads texturing.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
To the guys who responded, thanks, I just didn't know if I had an issue with me so I needed to make sure... what with Betheseda games and modding it's best to have the least problems to your knowledge as possible. :unsmith:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Are there any good quality mods adding new weapons? I'd like some more variety but I've been burned by a few megamods that add poo poo without proper animations and really making GBS threads texturing.

Have you tried AG Supplementary Uniques and The Armory? They are both referenced in the OP and excellent.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

VisAbsoluta posted:

If I'm using the modified version of Westland Vision you provided, what would you recommend?

Short of going into the mod and manually changing the darkness settings, I think you'll have to take advantage of a mod that adds night vision devices. Or eat plenty of Cateye and use the "Friend of the Night" perk.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Both enabled, but they both were enabled in my last game which only had 1 CTD through the main quest, all 3 DLCs, and a bunch of side quests.

Strange, I've never heard of Steam crashing like that. Have you verified your cache integrity?

What megamods were you using, if you don't mind me asking? Fallout 3 suffered from this because it had a seriously limited selection of animations to choose from, forcing modders to "make it work" with the weapons they added. New Vegas, on the other hand, has a much larger range of animations and the problem is no longer as apparent. Everything in the OP's "Weapons" section is quality, with perhaps the exception of CFWNV.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I wasn't a huge fan of The Armory(It's really well done, it's just not my kinda tastes), but seconding AG Supplementary Uniques. The only quirk right now is that BOSS doesn't recognize the vanilla .esp, but it does recognize the expansion pack ones, so make sure you move it before your bashed patch in the load order.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I like the look of the AG uniques one quite a lot. The Armory looks pretty interesting but I'm not so keen on adding a ton of real-world fancy modern weapons to Fallout cause I felt that kind of diluted the setting a bit in Fallout 2.

The megamod I tried before was one for Fallout 3 that added in all the old Fallout 2 weapons. I mostly got it for the Wattz laser rifles and the 14mm pistol, but there was like a G11 with no reload animation and a horrendously unbalanced jackhammer shotgun.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

FOMM's Check for Update function is for downloading the BOSS Load Order Template so it's kind of important.

Here is a fixed version that doesn't crash when you update. Extract it over an existing FOMM install.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/hzpkfgxnb74uy0j/fomm-0.13.21-stopcrashingpleasethanks.rar

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
A Fancy 400 lbs, I'm not too savvy with WryeBash, but can it merge executables? I can't help but think there's some sort of monkey business going on since both FNV4GB and the Fake Full-Screen utilities seem to require modded executables...

I like the look of the AG uniques one quite a lot. The Armory looks pretty interesting but I'm not so keen on adding a ton of real-world fancy modern weapons to Fallout cause I felt that kind of diluted the setting a bit in Fallout 2.

The megamod I tried before was one for Fallout 3 that added in all the old Fallout 2 weapons. I mostly got it for the Wattz laser rifles and the 14mm pistol, but there was like a G11 with no reload animation and a horrendously unbalanced jackhammer shotgun.

Thirding AG Supplementary Uniques. Everything fits in lore-wise, nothing overpowered, and it leaves room for vanilla weapons to remain viable. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how well most modded weapons fit into New Vegas' animations.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Don't hesitate to try AG Supplementary, then. I'm using it on my current playthrough and it's brilliant (also, Thundah! is one of my favorites weapons in the game easily).

Like Cream-of-Plenty usually says, if you didn't know any better, you would think that 90% of the weapons it adds are uniques from the vanilla game.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A Fancy 400 lbs, I'm not too savvy with WryeBash, but can it merge executables? I can't help but think there's some sort of monkey business going on since both FNV4GB and the Fake Full-Screen utilities seem to require modded executables...

Fake Full-Screen is specifically designed to work with the FNV4GB executable.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Well then, I'm tapped for ideas. I've been trolling a few boards looking for solutions but I haven't found anything. Maybe somebody will pop up on here with a fix for it. :confused:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'm downloading it now. I'm absurdly cautious about mods that add new content cause I'm a massive autist when it comes to stuff fitting in properly.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I had validated before starting the new run to make sure, but validating again pulled 2 files at 20kb total. Hopefully that fixes it.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

How can you use both at the same time?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Brace posted:

How can you use both at the same time?

Fullscreen has a loader for the FNV4GB executable built in, not sure on the technical specifics though.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Gyoru posted:

FOMM's Check for Update function is for downloading the BOSS Load Order Template so it's kind of important.

Here is a fixed version that doesn't crash when you update. Extract it over an existing FOMM install.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/hzpkfgxnb74uy0j/fomm-0.13.21-stopcrashingpleasethanks.rar
Errm, it crashes when I try to run it now.

EDIT: Nevermind, it was me misremembering where I put FOMM. I reverted back to thinking it was in the NV directory :downs:

Kgummy fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 26, 2011

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
What would you guys say is the best Texture mod out right now?

Also is URWL integrated into Nevada Skies now from what I'm reading/assuming?

Brace fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 26, 2011

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Does anyone have any experience with Timescale adjustment mods (such as this one: http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34718)? I really like the idea of making time pass more slowly when indoors, but I can see something like that leading to bugs, and I haven't seen much discussion about them.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

For those like you who are hesitant about using The Armory for all the modern weapons, I still recommend you give the mod a shot; however for you guys, I would recommend NOT using the optional leveled lists esps and instead loading the cabinet esp so you can pick and choose weapons. We have a lot of... "thematically immersive" weapons in the pack as well that you could have a lot of fun with without ever running into or using a completely tricked out Vltor SBR or something.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Brace posted:

What would you guys say is the best Texture mod out right now?

Also is URWL integrated into Nevada Skies now from what I'm reading/assuming?

Since none of them are all-encompassing, I'd say there isn't a single texture mod that could be considered the "best". Ojo Bueno's pack probably comes closest to this, but I'd still advise using it in conjunction with another OP texture mod in order to get the most bang for your buck. Then there are the weapon and armor texture packs, since Ojo Bueno doesn't touch those.

There are separate mods for Nevada Skies and Nevada Skies URWL, so don't use them at the same time.

Hannibal Smith posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Timescale adjustment mods (such as this one: http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34718)? I really like the idea of making time pass more slowly when indoors, but I can see something like that leading to bugs, and I haven't seen much discussion about them.

The biggest problem with timescale adjusters is revealed while playing in hardcore mode, since your hunger / thirst / exhaustion rates will still crawl by at vanilla speeds. The mod you linked works fine though, since it takes those factors into consideration.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So I posted about this little issue not so long ago

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think I broke the weather

This is Nevada Skies.

Also, on FOMM I get an "Error" message on the Web Version tab in the Package Manager for some mods, but the mods themselves work fine in-game. Should I be worried?

Which comes and agoes whenever it feels like. I can deactivate/reactive the mod and it'll fix it but then after a couple of days it'll start doing it again. Any ideas?

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So I posted about this little issue not so long ago

Which comes and agoes whenever it feels like. I can deactivate/reactive the mod and it'll fix it but then after a couple of days it'll start doing it again. Any ideas?

How many mods do you have activated?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

help my clouds look horrible

Download and install the 50MB cloudpack under Nevada Sky's optional files.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The 20 kb redownload was my ini file. It started working, so I readded the Darnui Font section and the mouse acceleration fix, and it kept on working. Must've accidentally hosed something up last time.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Fellas :j:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Most of PN's features can be turned off / not installed when you activate the FOMOD, though. Granted, I didn't realize you could opt out of installing entire modules the first few times, but I eventually figured it out.

I've been experimenting with various combinations of settings, trying to find the perfect blend of difficulty to make the game more difficult, and pretty much everything is usable without the "Equipment" and "Cyberware" plugins (if that's the extra bullshit you're talking about.)

Difficulty - Normal, Hardcore On

Weapon Damage Skill Influence - 50% (PN has this set to 20%, which is bunk because it defeats the purpose to putting skill points into weapons because of the relatively worthless payoff.)

Food Rarities - 16%, 12%, 9%, 6%

Ammo Rarity - 10%

Leveling Rate - 66%

Skill Point Penalty - (-4)

Minimum Damage (DT Bleedthrough) - 15%

Alternative Repair ON

Everything else I leave at default values or doesn't effect the difficulty of the game. I've discovered that a leveling rate of 66% prevents you from blasting through 10 or 12 levels in a single DLC, but isn't SO slow that you feel like you're never getting anywhere. The -4 skill point penalty means you have a spread of 7 - 11 points to invest per level (rather than 11 - 15), meaning you'll NEVER get anywhere near maxing out every skill. This emphasizes grooming your character to fit a certain role, rather than just dumping points into whatever when you feel like it.

Mmm, well my problem is everything is way to loving easy to kill (and I'm not, relatively speaking). I admittedly had the weapon skill thing at 20% (didn't think about that, good point), but I was still murdering stuff in a couple hits with like 15 gun skill; though honestly I think the Alternate Armor System has a lot to do with that. There just isn't enough DT on the armors. I'm going to give Arwen's a chance and restart my game without AAS and see how I like it.

Maybe I should just retry PN with your settings + no AAS :iiam:

Basically I realized I didn't like my setup when I killed Cook-Cook in like two or three shots and I remembered those boss fiends being motherfuckers in the vanilla game. At that point I was like "Well gently caress this lets restart with something new".

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Gyoru posted:

Thank you very much! :)

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
I've literally restarted 4 or 5 times in the last 2 weeks. Just not finding the balance/character/mod combination I like lately.

However I think this current unarmed build is what I'm looking for. My problem with unarmed in the past is that once I get ballistic fist (which I can get fairly early into the game) I become unstoppable. Perhaps to counter that I should increase the endurance multiplier in PN for NPCs.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Mr. Crow posted:

Fellas :j:

Mmm, well my problem is everything is way to loving easy to kill (and I'm not, relatively speaking). I admittedly had the weapon skill thing at 20% (didn't think about that, good point), but I was still murdering stuff in a couple hits with like 15 gun skill; though honestly I think the Alternate Armor System has a lot to do with that. There just isn't enough DT on the armors. I'm going to give Arwen's a chance and restart my game without AAS and see how I like it.

Basically I realized I didn't like my setup when I killed Cook-Cook in like two or three shots and I remembered those boss fiends being motherfuckers in the vanilla game. At that point I was like "Well gently caress this lets restart with something new".

That was my biggest gripe with earlier versions of PN: Weapons did a lot of damage, armor didn't help much (PN still has DT "Bleedthrough" set to a higher value than vanilla, rendering a lot of apparel useless), and the game strayed too far from an RPG and into a full-out FPS. The problem with this shift is that the AI isn't meant to fight you in a full FPS setting. So you run around, out-maneuvering opponents and one-shotting them with your 15 Guns skill. Then you get your 13 Skill points and dump them into whatever, because the game has been reduced to buying the ability to pick tougher locks and hack tougher terminals. Nothing else matters.

With those settings I posted, I think I've hit a sweet spot (and this is on normal difficulty.) 15% Bleedthrough means Giant Radscorpions are walking tanks at lower levels, specialty ammunition has actual purpose to deal with heavily armored foes, and you feel like you're getting your money's worth when you buy HP rounds.

Oh, another thing: I'd strongly advise re-activating PN's Endurance multiplier. It's off (0 multiplier) by default, meaning you and your opponents have the same health, be it LVL 1 or LVL 40. I understand the logic behind this, but it just goes to exacerbate the "one-shot-kill" problem at higher levels, when you're using Brush Guns and AMRs. Fighting devolves into simply trying to land a single fatal shot before your enemy, which isn't particularly fun.

EDIT: The downside with these settings is that I walked into OWB at LVL 8 with a Mentats addiction and six or seven stimpaks. The first two or three hours of the game played out a lot like Manhunt, trying to evade bands of psychopaths while I counted bullets and scrapped together everything I could find to afford more killing power.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 26, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mr. Crow posted:

DR is the main resistance stat in AAS, and yes, most early game armors had very little of both, as the earlier Fallout games had.

I also reduced the situations in which enemies will take no damage, and pretty much everything dies really quick as a result. The reason for this is that the HP scale is heavily skewed in favor of the player, even with PN's rebalance suggestions (player has 100 base HP, literally the highest of any non-Legate character in the game) even though it was the other way around in the original Fallouts. Maybe I should add a module that equalizes NPC HP with player HP, but PN would override that with their player-favoring settings :(

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh, another thing: I'd strongly advise re-activating PN's Endurance multiplier. It's off by default, meaning you and your opponents have the same health, be it LVL 1 or LVL 40. I understand the logic behind this, but it just goes to exacerbate the "one-shot-kill" problem at higher levels, when you're using Brush Guns and AMRs. Fighting devolves into simply trying to land a single fatal shot before your enemy, which isn't particularly fun.
Actually, NPCs have much lower health by default, the average NPC having 40 base health, so it's actually even worse.

WarpZealot
Nov 25, 2005
Yes, I've played Starcraft.
I've never modded FO3 or NV, but I'd love to start. I was planning on installing the following mods all together at once. Aside from picking out incompatible mods as well as redundant mods, is this list okay? I'm also looking into the weapon modification mod, but was wondering if it works with the Armory mod.

FOMM
Project Nevada or FOOK New Vegas (which one?)
More perks revised redux
Nevada skies
Exended New Vegas radio generator
More where that came from
Conelrad 640-1240
TG's armor collection
Armory

Questionable mods: World of Pain and New Vegas Bounties?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Guys, I need help with an issue I've had with Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. Whenever I'm actually engaging in Dialogue, the NPC has no voice acting what so ever. Also, certain sounds like looting/gunshots are extremely low volume. The same problem in both games, I'm using Logitech 5.1 Surround Speakers with the Soundmax integrated digital audio. This is kind of urgent, anyone have any ideas? I just did a fresh reinstall of New Vegas(deleted local game content, then deleted the New Vegas folder) so I don't know what the gently caress.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Those are good mods to start with and I'd choose Project Nevada.

New Vegas Bounties is supposed to be good but I haven't done it myself, World of Pain is terrible as I go into detail a few pages back http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376713&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=153#post393889298

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Actually, NPCs have much lower health by default, the average NPC having 40 base health, so it's actually even worse.

I wouldn't say it's worse, because if you leave it off, you're locking those NPCs at a base of 40 HP + END * 5 for the entire game. If you turn it on for them, a level 20 NPC has 40 HP + END * 5 (say, 35 points) + 20 * 5 = 175 HP, rather than 75.

The Project Nevada multipliers are independent for both you and and your opponents, so you can leave yours off while allowing NPCs to continue gaining health with levels. Or you can tweak the multiplier so that they gain more health per level than you do in order to offset the headstart you receive.

EDIT: I might be wrong on the exact equation, but I think HP is (Base Health) + (END * 5) + (LVL * Multiplier)

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 26, 2011

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

WarpZealot posted:

I'm also looking into the weapon modification mod, but was wondering if it works with the Armory mod.

Outside of SA, The Armory doesn't exist right now so no. That being said, I've always been very open to suggestions on modifications on weapons that either don't have one or aren't already full up on them.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I tried New Vegas Bounties, but as far as I got into it, which was to Alex, it was all literally just "Go to location X, shoot target, go back". Occasionally they'd say one or two badly voice acted lines before hand too, but that was pretty much the extent of variation. It was pretty bad.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Brace posted:

Guys, I need help with an issue I've had with Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. Whenever I'm actually engaging in Dialogue, the NPC has no voice acting what so ever. Also, certain sounds like looting/gunshots are extremely low volume. The same problem in both games, I'm using Logitech 5.1 Surround Speakers with the Soundmax integrated digital audio. This is kind of urgent, anyone have any ideas? I just did a fresh reinstall of New Vegas(deleted local game content, then deleted the New Vegas folder) so I don't know what the gently caress.

There was some issues with dialog due to the Old World Blue patch. The author is making a update in the next day or so. There was some hotfix in the comments, but I forget what it was.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Is there a way to get 4GB enabler working with Steam?

Brace fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 26, 2011

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Brace posted:

The game probably thinks you have a 7.1 setup instead and is trying to play those sounds through the Center channel. I'm not sure where Fallout would let you change that, but I bet it's the problem. Check that Windows is detecting it properly maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Brace posted:

Is there a way to get 4GB enabler working with Steam?

Instructions in the OP.