Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Instructions in the OP.

Is it just the Custom Launch in FOMM? I've already done that, but if I launch from Steam will it be launching with the 4GB and NVSE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Brace posted:

Is it just the Custom Launch in FOMM? I've already done that, but if I launch from Steam will it be launching with the 4GB and NVSE?

Ah, in that case, not sure. Don't think so. Steam will target the Fallout executable. Do you have your heart set on launching it from Steam?

Brilliant
VVVVV

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 26, 2011

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Brace posted:

Rename the .exe to FalloutNVLauncher.exe and Steam should run that when you launch New Vegas instead of the normal launcher.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

DR is the main resistance stat in AAS, and yes, most early game armors had very little of both, as the earlier Fallout games had.

I also reduced the situations in which enemies will take no damage, and pretty much everything dies really quick as a result. The reason for this is that the HP scale is heavily skewed in favor of the player, even with PN's rebalance suggestions (player has 100 base HP, literally the highest of any non-Legate character in the game) even though it was the other way around in the original Fallouts. Maybe I should add a module that equalizes NPC HP with player HP, but PN would override that with their player-favoring settings :(

Actually, NPCs have much lower health by default, the average NPC having 40 base health, so it's actually even worse.

Well I realize DR is the main function that's why I tried it :), I just think the DT is an after-thought rather then balancing around both (which maybe was the idea) from my (admittedly poor and probably skewed) experience. I mean Power Armor has some ridiculously (relatively) low number (like 8ish I think?), and combat armor has something like 3? That's basically worthless.

In any event I'm starting Arwens lets hope it isn't awful :ohdear:

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 26, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mr. Crow posted:

Well I realize DR is the main function that's why I tried it :), I just think the DT is an after-thought rather then balancing around both (which maybe was the idea) from my (admittedly poor and probably skewed) experience. I mean Power Armor has some ridiculously (relatively) low number (like 8ish I think?), and combat armor has something like 3? That's basically worthless.

In any event I'm starting Arwens lets hope it isn't awful :ohdear:

Arwen's has a lot of great features, each flanked by three or four terrible ideas that you're obliged to endure for the sake of those great features. I think you're going to hate it, Mr. Crow.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mr. Crow posted:

DT is calculated after DR, so the low DT on Power Armor and Combat Armor has more value than you think it does.

For example, for the Enclave Remnant armor set, 70% DR turns a 30 damage hit into 9, and 6 DT on Heavy class armor lowers that to 3. Power armor is also generally far more effective against high-caliber rounds.

edit: :psyboom:

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 26, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

DT is calculated after DR, so the low DT on Power Armor and Combat Armor has more value than you think it does.

For example, for the Enclave Remnant armor set, 70% DR turns a 30 damage hit into 9, and 6 DR lowers that to 3. Power armor is also generally far more effective against high-caliber rounds.

Man, every time we get on the subject of DR, I wish they could have left it in. Too complicated for bros, I guess.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
On the Honest Hearts Extensions, what is it talking about when it mentions the 'unique sorrows clothing' was not kept? Was that just something that was in an earlier version? I checked the wiki, and can't seem to see any unique sorrows clothing.

As an aside, 'Operation BlackBriar' seems to be a Wasteland Defense type mod, that's in progress.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Ok the AG Unique Weapons mod is pretty great. Everything seems balanced and all the weapons look good. Some stuff is really powerful but balanced by the fact that ammo is pretty costly, which is nice. I'm mostly enjoying the coach gun and Auto Whatchamacallit though.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

For example, for the Enclave Remnant armor set, 70% DR turns a 30 damage hit into 9, and 6 DT on Heavy class armor lowers that to 3. Power armor is also generally far more effective against high-caliber rounds.

edit: :psyboom:

I thought DT was applied before, maybe not. Granted, Power Armor might be closer to original, the lower tier armors (read, all of them) will take MORE damage from that same 30 damage shot.

Which maybe was the point and honestly I'm not gonna argue it anymore because it's your re-balance so balance it how you like, reason I used it in the first place was because I was to lazy to make the compatibility patches for what I had done a long rear end time ago on my failed (read: no effort to finish) overhaul mod that did something similar. And its also likely I'm just putting the blame on AAS falsely because it's the easiest to blame when the fault was likely with my PN settings + other things. :)

Also, pro-tip for power modders that I forgot when I re-installed, make multiple merged patches for mods (especially if you have a ton of changes from one particular mod). Lumping everything into one merged patch is great fine and dandy if you have a consistent and tried and true mod list, but god help you if you have to remove one of those mods with a ton of changes in it. Not because I'm having to do that or anything.

:negative:

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
In Vanilla New Vegas, does iron sighting actually zoom in?

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
What do merged patches do anyway? Do they act like bash patches? I ask because I'm having a lot of recurring crashes with my massive load order and someone said I should entertain the idea of making a merged patch.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I remember you and you should use less mods, your load order is way too deep and a merged patch isn't likely to fix it. They are great for merging NPC edits or merged leveled lists and form IDs but they aren't going to fix two mods that edit the same area, for example.

Download FNVEdit and launch it, then uncollapse the segments of any given mod in your list. All of the red selections are conflicts. You will be seeing a sea of red when you do this.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 26, 2011

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
b-b-but I like my mods :(

alright, I'll try the FNVEdit thing.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

ETPC posted:

What do merged patches do anyway? Do they act like bash patches? I ask because I'm having a lot of recurring crashes with my massive load order and someone said I should entertain the idea of making a merged patch.

Merged patches don't increase stability. They just try to make sure that, if you've got two mods that change the same list, both changes take cumulative effect. It's neither smart nor good, but it's the best you can do without having a human do it.

But the biggest predictor of instability is the length of your load order, so seriously, trim out the fat. I'm willing to bet you have no idea what half those mods do. I know I don't.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

You can use a ton of mods if you know what you are doing, but in order to do so without crashes it helps to get used to dragging and dropping poo poo from mod to mod in NVEdit in order to increase compatibility between mods. It allows you to actually see the changes that mods are making and pick and choose what loads last in your load order. This is a really, really time consuming process and is the only way to make the works of 90 different authors compatible.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
Is there a way to make the game save screenshots as JPGs?

Edit:

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Just use Steam's screenshot feature, which does (F12 by default).
I really don't know how I didn't think of that.

Lemur Crisis fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 26, 2011

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Brace posted:

In Vanilla New Vegas, does iron sighting actually zoom in?

Depends on the weapon.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
I guess in a perfect world if there is a crash it would tell me CRASHED BECAUSE ___.ESP CONFLICTS WITH ____.ESP but it just silently crashes and you are left guessing why it's happening.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Lemur Crisis posted:

Is there a way to make the game save screenshots as JPGs?

Just use Steam's screenshot feature, which does (F12 by default).

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Load Order posted:

FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
CaravanPack.esm
IWR.esm
Military Expansion Program.esm
drgNV - Melissa Companion.esm
PipboyRemover.esm
Primary Needs HUD.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
aHUD.esm
iHUD.esm
More Perks.esm
More Perks for Companions.esm
More Perks for Dead Money.esm
More Perks for Honest Hearts.esm
More Perks for Old World Blues.esm
More Traits.esm
IWS-Core.esm
DFB - Random Encounters.esm
Weapon Mod Expansion.esm
WME - Dead Money.esm
WME - Honest Hearts.esm
WME - Old World Blues.esm
Tales from the Burning Sands.esm
Lings.esm
Machienzo - NPC Cosmetic Fixes.esm

DarNifiedUINV.esp
CASM.esp
Centered 3rd Person Camera.esp
IWR - Rebuilt.esp
OperationFixedTerrain.esp
Readius_NV.esp
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
Lucky 38 Suite Expansion.esp
The New Bison Steve Hotel.esp
UWHNV-Core.esp
UWHNV-Addon-DLC.esp
UWHNV-Addon-FollowerHome.esp
Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
Project Nevada - Dead Money.esp
Project Nevada - Honest Hearts.esp
CONELRAD 640-1240.esp
Improved Sound FX.esp
Improved Sound FX - Gunshot Distance Tweak.esp
Improved Sound FX - Weapon Sharing Fix.esp
Improved Sound FX - DM.esp
Improved Sound FX - HH.esp
Improved Sound FX - HH Sharing Fix.esp
SecretStash80.esp
NewVegasBounties.esp
NewVegasBountiesII.esp
Machienzo - NPC Cosmetic Fixes DLC01.esp
Kobu's Free Wild Wasteland Trait.esp
More Perks Update.esp
More Perks for Companions Update.esp
More Perks for Dead Money Update.esp
More Perks for Honest Hearts Update.esp
More Perks for Old World Blues Update.esp
More Traits Update.esp
IWS-Core-Patrols.esp
IWS-Core-Guards.esp
IWS-Core-Civilians.esp
IWS-AS-MedSpawns.esp
IWS-AS-NoInteriorSpawns.esp
GrimyBusinesswearFix.esp
MoreShells.esp
LegendaryHunter.esp
AG Supplementary Uniques.esp
AG Supplementary Uniques-Dead Money.esp
AG Supplementary Uniques-Honest Hearts.esp
QS_Blackwolf_NV_Backpackmod.esp
TGsArmorCollectionVegas.esp
Machienzo - NPC Cosmetic Fixes DLC02.esp
Machienzo - NPC Cosmetic Fixes DLC03.esp
AllCompanionsEssential 2.0b.esp
Companion Sandbox Mode.esp
Comp_Idles_NV.esp
Follower Home Marker.esp
Light Step ED-E.esp
NVWillow.esp
SunnyCompanion.esp
UnlimitedCompanions.esp
Feng Shui NV.esp
PipBoyLightx2.esp
Sink Vending Machine.esp
Color Me Evil.esp
Color Me Evil - Cass.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main NV.esp
Wild Wasteland YCS Fix.esp
Weapon Mod Expansion.esp
WME - Dead Money.esp
WME - Honest Hearts.esp
WME - Old World Blues.esp
Project Nevada - WME.esp
WME - Arenovalis.esp
WME - Dead Money Arenovalis Retex.esp
WME - Honest Hearts Arenovalis.esp
EVE FNV.esp
WMEVE.esp
OFT_HonestHearts.esp
OFT_HonestHearts_Interiors.esp
OWB Companion Teleport.esp
OWB Moddable FIDO.esp
OWB More Vendor Caps.esp
OWB Stealth Field Suit.esp
OWB Valence Extra.esp
OWB Valence Mask.esp
SimpleStreetLights (Extra Lights).esp
Vurt's WFO.esp
Nevada Skies - URWLHH.esp

Total active plugins: 117
Total plugins: 122

FNV4GB + NVSE + Fake Fullscreen. Crash free.
It can be done as long as .fomod the poo poo out of everything in FOMM and BOSS sort. :colbert:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Male Man posted:

Merged patches don't increase stability.

This is flat out wrong 95% of the time.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Gyoru posted:

FNV4GB + NVSE + Fake Fullscreen. Crash free.
It can be done as long as .fomod the poo poo out of everything in FOMM and BOSS sort. :colbert:

You got really lucky, although that load order is inflated by a bunch of mods that have 8 separate esps for full functionality. That's not a typical result at all.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
One additional question: do the mods for FONV mess with unlocking steam achievements? I'm kind of an achievement hound and I'd hate to screw myself out of them.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

flatluigi posted:

One additional question: do the mods for FONV mess with unlocking steam achievements? I'm kind of an achievement hound and I'd hate to screw myself out of them.

I'm running with quite a few mods, plus NVSE+4GB .exe and had no trouble picking up achievements, including the hardcore one. Just remember to always restart the game afterwards, if you have to use the console. I think that's the only thing that disables achievements.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Yeah mods will not disable achievements but opening the console and typing a cheat will disable them until you restart new vegas.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It's kind of funny really. Clip and get stuck in a rock, and use the console to get out? No achievements til you restart. Use a mod that gives you a trait that gives you 100 Gun Skill and 50 DT? Sure, take all the achievements!

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

There is even a mod where you instantly press a button and it gives you all of the achievements, I got them all the legit way anyway because I'm retardedly in love with this game.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

flatluigi posted:

Nah, but I did have a few achievements I didn't earn unlock accidently. Not complaining, since I was never wanting to do Caesar's path.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Holy gently caress, Nevada Skies :swoon:

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I really want a mod that replaces ED-E with a floating toaster and plays random toaster audio clips. Also it shoots flames instead of lasers.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

vandalism posted:

I really want a mod that replaces ED-E with a floating toaster and plays random toaster audio clips. Also it shoots flames instead of lasers.

I don't see why you can't just mount the toaster on a shoulder harness, hook him up to one of those gatling laser backpacks, and use him like the plasma cannon thing that Predator's use. Then he and the Stealth Suit can get into arguments over your combat readiness.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

Omnicarus posted:

I don't see why you can't just mount the toaster on a shoulder harness, hook him up to one of those gatling laser backpacks, and use him like the plasma cannon thing that Predator's use. Then he and the Stealth Suit can get into arguments over your combat readiness.

I want this yesterday. :haw:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Have the Toaster as one companion, and Mugsy as the other. Give him a BB gun or something. He's just so angry, he's my favorite part of the Sink.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Man, every time we get on the subject of DR, I wish they could have left it in. Too complicated for bros, I guess.
It wasn't really that; I just think percentile damage reduction is a bad mechanic. I left the field in because others (obviously) disagree.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

rope kid posted:

It wasn't really that; I just think percentile damage reduction is a bad mechanic. I left the field in because others (obviously) disagree.

Well thanks for leaving it in. By default, DT obviously works perfectly fine. It's just when you start throwing a bunch of overhauls and mods into the equation, you start pondering ways to "improve" the armor system. Every time I read something about the DR / DT mechanics, I get all interested in it for some reason.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Are there any mods that overhaul the crafting system in Fallout?

My recent addiction has been Minecraft, mainly due to the aspect that lets you hunt monsters, harvest their parts and then build stuff.

If a mod like this doesn't exist I'm going to make one myself.

Maybe for Skyrim.

Anyone interested in a goon project?

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Gyoru posted:

FOMM's Check for Update function is for downloading the BOSS Load Order Template so it's kind of important.

Here is a fixed version that doesn't crash when you update. Extract it over an existing FOMM install.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/hzpkfgxnb74uy0j/fomm-0.13.21-stopcrashingpleasethanks.rar

I know this is about a page late but you're awesome for posting this. I've been loving with FOMM for so long trying to get it to not crash on updating, and this just made my day :)

In other news, I finally got to the Underwater Hideout in my game, and if people were getting really mad about feature bloat in Underground Hideout, they should take a look-see over here at this one. It's loving awesome.

Edit: Forgot to say that the new OP looks really nice too!

potaties fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 26, 2011

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Re: WME vs WMX - I am still using WMX, only because the newer versions are going to have a mod system for Melee weapons, much like Dead Rising :v:

Also the new OP is great. New Vegas is the best game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Can't say I'm a huge fan of the Armory mod, some of the stuff it adds is pretty nice but too much of it is tacticlol stuff or stuff ported from other games. If that's your sort of thing then that's ok it's just not for me. Some of the weapons were very cool though.