Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Awesome, a video of the panel. :3:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Panel - Comic-Con 2011
( http://comic-con.gamespot.com/video/6325034/deus-exhuman-revolution-panel-comic-con-2011 )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I love that there's a pacifist trophy, and it seems like it will be hard - because in the leak, when you had an assault rifle thrust on you and a bunch of enemies in a corridor at the very beginning, I thought they were forcing me to kill guys and I was sad at the lack of choice. Now I see it's just gonna be really really hard at times.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

I love that there's a pacifist trophy, and it seems like it will be hard - because in the leak, when you had an assault rifle thrust on you and a bunch of enemies in a corridor at the very beginning, I thought they were forcing me to kill guys and I was sad at the lack of choice. Now I see it's just gonna be really really hard at times.

It's one of those games where you can at least think outside the box. As has been pointed out, that first boss that people were complaining about, that supposedly is a mindless slugging match? You can win that fight in under 20 seconds without touching a weapon.

Speedball posted:

Doors being highlighted is kind of obnoxious; big giant yellow things taking up hallways. On the other hand, ammo and other small items being highlighted is very important because they'd be easier to miss with all the detail in the environments. So I don't hate it at all, I just wish one particular item of it could be turned off.

Even doors being highlighted has its use - there's a lot of areas where (due to videogames being produced by a limited team of mere mortals) there's only one door out of 5-6 that's usable. Having the useful one highlighted is pretty handy.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 25, 2011

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

KillHour posted:

It lists the voucher code as expired.

They put up one final promo code. Lasts until August 1st. :v:

I edited my post with the new voucher.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=393707780&forumid=44

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Nail Rat posted:

Intro and boss fights don't count. At least, I think the intro doesn't count, the trophy/achievement specifically mentions that boss fights don't count for this one.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

The intro ought to count. It's pretty easy to ghost it, anyways.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dominic White posted:

It's one of those games where you can at least think outside the box. As has been pointed out, that first boss that people were complaining about, that supposedly is a mindless slugging match? You can win that fight in under 20 seconds without touching a weapon.

Say what?

EDIT: I just pre-ordered this. I'm pretty sure it's the first game I've ever pre-ordered that wasn't developed by Valve.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 25, 2011

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Inspector_71 posted:

Say what?
Probably dropped a refrigerator on him.

Neosuki
Jul 14, 2004

Inspector_71 posted:

Say what?

There's a video where using the "environment" gas canisters and exploding barrels you can end it pretty quick.

It's still "lethal-ish", but he's right... you never touch a gun for it.

VIDEO

Jose posted:

This is a spoiler for anyone who hasn't completed the leak.

The absolute best way to beat the first boss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVe2Jlq4FiE&feature=related

Neosuki fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 25, 2011

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

coyo7e posted:

Probably dropped a refrigerator on him.

Ah, that would make sense. I dropped the difficulty down to Easy for that because I am terrible.

Then again, that's how I handled the bosses in the first game too.

Honestly I was hoping for a "Laputan machine" way out.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Inspector_71 posted:

Honestly I was hoping for a "Laputan machine" way out.

Sadly nothing quite as classy, but there's enough environmental hazards to wreck the guy in moments without even touching a gun.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Ran across these today and thought you guys would enjoy them.

They're 2 new songs by Alex Brandon who did the soundtrack for the original Deus Ex. He wrote them in the style of the original soundtrack. The first is The Craftsman which is very similar to the types of things you'd hear in the original Deus Ex. I like this one a lot. The other is Machination, which I'm not as crazy about, but its still somewhat interesting. The other stuff on his site is decent as well.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

It's been mentioned a couple times; I kinda thought the same thing about Machination. Still have to check out his newer stuff. I'm pretty bad at that.

Anyway, the Facebook page updated with the second half of Chapter 1 of the Deus Ex: Icarus Effect novel. 1714 likes until the next unlock.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 26, 2011

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One thing I do miss about Invisible War: it was incredibly egalitarian with regard to gender ratios among all the armed forces. Seeing the police station in DXHR as a total sausage fest is mildly annoying coming off of that. But that's a quibble.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Speedball posted:

One thing I do miss about Invisible War:

Words I never thought I'd read.

quote:

it was incredibly egalitarian with regard to gender ratios among all the armed forces. Seeing the police station in DXHR as a total sausage fest is mildly annoying coming off of that. But that's a quibble.

It takes a collapse of civilization for women to assume the typical male gender roles.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Speedball posted:

One thing I do miss about Invisible War: it was incredibly egalitarian with regard to gender ratios among all the armed forces. Seeing the police station in DXHR as a total sausage fest is mildly annoying coming off of that. But that's a quibble.

I'm not really sure why, of all things, that would be likely to change so significantly in the near future.

Women account for 14% of the US armed forces right now, so bumping it up to 50% would be a bit of a stretch.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Neosuki posted:

There's a video where using the "environment" gas canisters and exploding barrels you can end it pretty quick.

It's still "lethal-ish", but he's right... you never touch a gun for it.

VIDEO

Not following EPA regulations by storing piles of toxic gas and red explosive barrels out in the open really paid off.

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.

Vertigus posted:

I'm not really sure why, of all things, that would be likely to change so significantly in the near future.

Women account for 14% of the US armed forces right now, so bumping it up to 50% would be a bit of a stretch.

But the near future will bring us robot arms that turn to guns, of course.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ANGRYGREEK posted:

I think we've proven to be much quicker at killing people than making society more egalitarian.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

ANGRYGREEK posted:

Well we got cars and airplanes before women had a constitutional right to vote in the US, so yeah.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/546

The following has been posted by JaqTaar on the Eidos Forums:
Square Enix organized a truck tour through Germany (mostly the north though) and offers the opportunity to play the game in all three versions, apparently 3D and Eyefinity are presented as well. So far it's not been mentioned what part of the game will be playable.

It has been announced last week I think, but the full list of locations and dates were published only now: http://www.facebook.com/DeusExHumanRevolutionGermany

• 26.07.2011 Hamburg - Saturn - Mönckebergstraße
  • 27.07.2011 Hamburg - Nachtmarkt - Reeperbahn/Spielbudenplatz
  • 28.07.2011 Bremen - Media Markt Bremen - Im Weserpark
  • 29.07.2011 Berlin - Media Markt Berlin - Alexanderplatz
  • 30.07.2011 Berlin - Sommer Safari - Arena Gelände Treptow
  • 01.08.2011 Dresden - Media Markt Dresden - Mickten
  • 02.08.2011 Leipzig - Media Markt Leipzig - Paunsdorf
  • 03.08.2011 Frankfurt - Media Markt Frankfurt - Borsigallee
  • 04.08.2011 Kassel - Media Markt Kassel - DEZ Kassel
  • 05.08.2011 Köln - Media Markt Köln - Marsdorf
  • 06.08.2011 Bonn - ProMarkt Bonn - Nordstadt
  • 07.08.2011 Soltau - Heidepark Soltau
  • 08.08.2011 Hannover - Hannover - Maschseefest - Maschsse
  • 09.08.2011 Hamburg - Media Markt - Wandsbek
Would be cool if we got some feedback from people who go there (won't have the opportunity myself).

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

etalian posted:

Not following EPA regulations by storing piles of toxic gas and red explosive barrels out in the open really paid off.

You think FEMA gives a rat's rear end about some rinky-dink federal agency's safety regulations?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

You think FEMA gives a rat's rear end about some rinky-dink federal agency's safety regulations?

I'd like to see some dedicated modder come up with a level where you infiltrate a top-secret OSHA facility and it's the safest goddamn place ever.

The Pebbler
Nov 22, 2006

by T. Finn
Download the new Deus Ex DLC today! Join JC Denton in a new mission to the DMV to get his drivers license replaced. Fight through long lines and overcome the 4 pm closing time.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The Pebbler posted:

Download the new Deus Ex DLC today! Join JC Denton in a new mission to the DMV to get his drivers license replaced. Fight through long lines and overcome the 4 pm closing time.

Get there early to establish a stealth presence! Knock out all the customers before security arrives, and out of view of the camera, to still wait 5 hours for your number to be called!

Sporto
Oct 16, 2010

The Slayer walks the earth!
Use SOCIAL or COMBAT to attempt to get a transfer-of-title without 8 items proving Adam's Michigan residency.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Looks like GamesRadar are doing a "Win a trip to Eidos Montreal" sweepstakes, although it seems it's only open to residents of the U.S., here is what it says after you "like" that Facebook page:

"You and a friend could win a trip to Montreal to get a studio tour and dinner with the game developers of Deus Ex: Human Revolution."

From their Rules page, what I consider most relevant:

ELIGIBILITY - Sweepstakes open to legal residents of the Forty-Eight (48) continental United States and District of Columbia, excluding Rhode Island, Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S. military installations in foreign countries, all other U.S. territories and possessions and where prohibited or restricted by law. Entrants must be have reached the age of majority in their states of residence at time of entry, and possess a valid form of government or state-issued photo ID. Invalid or ineligible entries shall be excluded from consideration.

TIMING - Sweepstakes begins at 12:00:01 a.m. Pacific Time ("PT") on 07/21/2011 and continues until 11:59:59 p.m. PT on 08/22/2011. Future US, Inc.’s computer will be the official time clock for the Sweepstakes. Online entries must be received by 11:59:59 p.m. PT on 08/22/2011 to be eligible. Mailed entries must be postmarked by 08/22/2011, and received by 08/29/2011, to be eligible.

Tecman fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 26, 2011

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

What why no Rhode Island? That seems kinda random.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

cheesetriangles posted:

What why no Rhode Island? That seems kinda random.
Presumably a law in Rhode Island that they didn't want to bother with?

"In Florida, New York and Rhode Island, sponsors are required to register all sweepstakes where the total retail value of all the prizes is greater than $5,000 ($500 in Rhode Island for retail store promotions)."

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I didn't want to go to Montreal anyway. :colbert:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Linguica posted:

Presumably a law in Rhode Island that they didn't want to bother with?

"In Florida, New York and Rhode Island, sponsors are required to register all sweepstakes where the total retail value of all the prizes is greater than $5,000 ($500 in Rhode Island for retail store promotions)."
yeah, I've been seeing "Except for Rhode Island" in sweepstakes since I was a little kid, 25 years ago.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Speedball posted:

Seeing the police station in DXHR as a total sausage fest is mildly annoying coming off of that. But that's a quibble.

Speaking of, can somebody tell me how to get into the station without shooting my way in or sneaking in through the sewers?

I think some combo of mission flags bugged my game because I couldn't talk to the desk clerk at all.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Inspector_71 posted:

I think some combo of mission flags bugged my game because I couldn't talk to the desk clerk at all.
The first time through, I snuck in the back and methodically worked through the police station, killing / hiding everyone I could without raising any alarms. Then only later when I wanted to complete the conversation quest with Adam's old buddy did I realize that the guy was long dead. Oops

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Dominic White posted:

It doesn't stop being a mindless slugging match just because one of the weapons you can use is explosive barrels.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

Speaking of, can somebody tell me how to get into the station without shooting my way in or sneaking in through the sewers?

There's a ladder on the east side of the building that leads to a vent or maybe a door.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

the littlest prince posted:

There's a ladder on the east side of the building that leads to a vent or maybe a door.

Yeah but can't you just talk your way in the front door? There's the implication that the guy at the front desk is a former partner from the cop outside.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Yeah, you should be able to. That sounds like a bug, but I could be wrong. It's more fun to sneak around in my view or just kill everyone. Oddly enough, if you decide to go the violent route, you don't get scolded on this in any way (to my knowledge) If there's an obvious oversight in the game so far, I think that might be one of the big ones.

EDIT: Make sure you're talking to the right guy; the one behind the desk through the small window. Not the one standing or the guard by the door.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 26, 2011

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

Inspector_71 posted:

Yeah but can't you just talk your way in the front door?

You have to win a conversation battle with him, but yeah. If you don't convince him, he'll tell you to piss off whenever you try to initiate conversation, but he shouldn't outright ignore you.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SaderBiscut posted:

You have to win a conversation battle with him, but yeah. If you don't convince him, he'll tell you to piss off whenever you try to initiate conversation, but he shouldn't outright ignore you.

So I have to talk to the mullet cop, not the desk jockey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Inspector_71 posted:

So I have to talk to the mullet cop, not the desk jockey?

Desk jockey is the guy who lets you in, the Mighty Mullet is for a different quest.

• Locked thread