Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr

Duckman2008 posted:

Depends on your preference, but if you can't live with it get the replacement. It would be a $100 deductible, but that's unfortunately the cheapest option. You could also just fix the earpiece yourself, and if you still don't like it THEN order the refurb. Refurb Evos are mostly fine, I had one charger port go out but overall I wouldn't cringe at the thought of a refurb.

You could also call retentions and see how much you would have to pay to get an early upgrade. For instance, if you are a year into your contract, Sprint will let you get an early full upgrade for $75. A bit more expensive, but then you could get the 3D/Photon.

Comes down to your personal preference, how much time you have and what you are looking for.
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't mind a refurb, I guess I am more worried about whether I could still get root access or not, I read something about the new evo's being difficult to root or something because of the software updates.

I'll check on the upgrade option, that would be cool. I bought the evo before my actual upgrade time last November, any idea how that would affect my options?

edit: vvv hmmm cool.

Isaac Asimov fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you didn't use your upgrade then, your upgrade is still based on 22 months the last time you used it.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Isaac Asimov posted:

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't mind a refurb, I guess I am more worried about whether I could still get root access or not, I read something about the new evo's being difficult to root or something because of the software updates.

Full s=off is coming for the Evo3D any day now. And HTC's unlocked bootloader is coming in a few weeks. Either way it will be rooted soon. As for now, temp root is really easy to do.

Edit: oh you meant OG Evo. Oops. Nevermind.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 24, 2011

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
Whats the consensus on phone finding apps? I'm using Where's My Droid at the moment for my EVO 3D but the GPS finding part doesn't seem to be working, is there a better one out there?

Also, I don't suppose there's a way to set it so hitting the power button while on a call will hang up, is there?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Smoking_Dragon posted:

Whats the consensus on phone finding apps? I'm using Where's My Droid at the moment for my EVO 3D but the GPS finding part doesn't seem to be working, is there a better one out there?

Every time I tried one of those, it only worked like %20 of the time. I figured it wasn't worth the extra background processes and stuff.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Smoking_Dragon posted:

Also, I don't suppose there's a way to set it so hitting the power button while on a call will hang up, is there?
settings -> accessibility

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Smoking_Dragon posted:

Do you have insurance? If so Sprint makes one that is pretty good:

sprint.com/protection

If not, I like Where's My Droid, and the developer is a goon I believe.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Duckman2008 posted:

Do you have insurance? If so Sprint makes one that is pretty good:

sprint.com/protection

This doesn't work with google voice I take it? I just get cryptic text messages.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Looks like I'm going to have to exchange my EVO 3D. It randomly shuts off and won't boot back up without a battery pull.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Q_res posted:

Looks like I'm going to have to exchange my EVO 3D. It randomly shuts off and won't boot back up without a battery pull.

I've seen that before, probably just a bunk unit, most 3Ds don't do that. Def exchange it.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/25/sprint-details-q4-cdma-direct-connect-launch-plans-and-handsets/

Bye bye iDEN, it can't go away soon enough.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Duckman2008 posted:

I've seen that before, probably just a bunk unit, most 3Ds don't do that. Def exchange it.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/25/sprint-details-q4-cdma-direct-connect-launch-plans-and-handsets/

iDEN is literally the only reason Sprint reports subscriber losses every quarter

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I had that problem, now on my 3rd phone. Good luck.

Q_res posted:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Android 2.3.5 update for the Nexus S 4G is out.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/com...-4g-data-speeds

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/22/sprint-readies-nexus-s-4g-update-with-improved-wimax-performance/

Looks like you can download it from Google here: http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_crespo4g/39fe4c5954c0.signed-sojus-GRJ90-from-GRJ22.39fe4c59.zip or just wait for your phone to receive it OTA over the next three weeks.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 25, 2011

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I'm considering asking my friend to add me to his family plan and transferring my number from Verizon. He has the 1400 minute two line plan with data at the moment. Would it only increase his monthly fee by the $20/month add'l line charge and $10 data fee, or would there be anything else? Also, would I be entitled to the same discount on a new smartphone as if I signed up for a new account alone?

MY ABACUS! fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 25, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

MY ABACUS! posted:

I'm considering asking my friend to add me to his family plan and transferring my number from Verizon. He has the 1400 minute two line plan with data at the moment. Would it only increase his monthly fee by the $20/month add'l line charge, or would there be anything else? Also, would I be entitled to the same discount on a new smartphone as if I signed up for a new account alone?

I literally just added a friend to my plan -

It's $20 to add a line and then there's the $10 "Smartphone Fee" on top of it. Plus, he opted for insurance, so there's another $8. Everyone on my plan decided the most fair way to split the bill was just divide the total among all 3 of us, so it runs about $60 per person.

He got the EVO 3D for $200 plus tax, and got the $125 "port credit" as well (which, of course, actually shows up as a discount off my bill, so I'm just not charging him for his cellphone for a few months).

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 26, 2011

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

Ozmodiar posted:

I literally just added a friend to my plan -

Okay thanks. Hopefully that port credit will still be around in November when my contract is up.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Has anyone been getting calls from 1111 today? I've gotten a few calls over the last couple hours.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Duckman2008 posted:

It got so bad actually, when I got to the store I tried the battery pull trick again, and it didn't work. They couldn't get it to boot until they did a Hard Reset/Full Wipe. Exchanged it with absolutely zero hassle, aside from the 45 minute wait just to talk to someone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like the 2.3.5 update stops the Nexus S 4G from tethering and hot spotting. It makes sense though since Sprint has been saying they would do this since the release of the phone.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Duckman2008 posted:

Any chance Sprint will be rolling out CDMA on the iDEN band, or is it being strictly reserved for LTE? Hopefully it's the former, since the Evo 3D has radio hw support for 800mhz.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Leathal posted:

Any chance Sprint will be rolling out CDMA on the iDEN band, or is it being strictly reserved for LTE? Hopefully it's the former, since the Evo 3D has radio hw support for 800mhz.

It is unknown at this point, Sprint is keeping the mid closed on 4G plans, as anything leaked I would unwind would kill current sales. People ask enough as it is.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like the 2.3.5 update stops the Nexus S 4G from tethering and hot spotting. It makes sense though since Sprint has been saying they would do this since the release of the phone.

So much for the pure google experience.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Alman posted:

iDEN is literally the only reason Sprint reports subscriber losses every quarter
Surprised to hear that. I would have thought those who needed PTT walkie-talkie would be pretty loyal--as mentioned in the Engadget article.

Does anyone have any technical knowledge about Sprint's new EvDO PTT implementation? The previous Qualcomm QChat they tried a few years ago was slow and poor quality. It really seemed like it was recording your voice message in entirety and compressing it before it even tried connecting to data to delivery it.

My father-in-law is a Nextel iDEN user. Can I have an iDEN line/phone on my Sprint Everything share plan when all my other lines are CDMA smartphones?

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

goku chewbacca posted:

My father-in-law is a Nextel iDEN user. Can I have an iDEN line/phone on my Sprint Everything share plan when all my other lines are CDMA smartphones?

Yes, I just added my brother and gave him a Nextel device so he wouldn't break it within a week

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

Surprised to hear that. I would have thought those who needed PTT walkie-talkie would be pretty loyal--as mentioned in the Engadget article.

Does anyone have any technical knowledge about Sprint's new EvDO PTT implementation? The previous Qualcomm QChat they tried a few years ago was slow and poor quality. It really seemed like it was recording your voice message in entirety and compressing it before it even tried connecting to data to delivery it.

You can mix and match iDEN and CDMA.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint lost a lost of iDEN customers. iDEN coverage is awful, and iDEN sucks at text and internet, so anyone wanting more than talk is just hosed. In my experience the problem is most Nextel users just associate their crappy coverage with Sprint and assume that since their coverage sucks, Sprint's coverage in general sucks. They then leave for Verizon. Also, keep in mind Sprint was a huge player in business thanks to Nextel's huge business market, and from what I understand Verizon and AT&T came in and ate Sprint's lunch on business users. Sprint is currently in the process of doing a big push towards marketing to small business owners (I get to be the Smal Bus 360 sales person of my store. Woooo) and basically trying to get back in that game. Some cool initiatives actually. although its still very new.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
I sat down in a hot tub with my phone. Put it in a bag of rice for several days and now it turns on, but now the screen is a bit blotchy. How much does it cost to replace a screen? Can I just take it to any electronic repair store and get it done?

Edit: Evo Shift

jerman999 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 26, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jerman999 posted:

I sat down in a hot tub with my phone. Put it in a bag of rice for several days and now it turns on, but now the screen is a bit blotchy. How much does it cost to replace a screen? Can I just take it to any electronic repair store and get it done?

Edit: Evo Shift

Tech centers won't work on a water damaged phone, and unless you are willing to do it yourself it would not be worth it. You could get a screen for a few $$ online and cheaply do it yourself. Honestly, once a phone gets water damage it is pretty much hosed long term, most cases it will eventually deteriorate and keep having more problems. If you have insurance obviously file for it. If not, hold out till August 1st, Sprint is doing an insurance promo where anyone can handle it, so you can add insurance to your account August 1st, wait 24-48 hours, then file (i think anyway). $100 with insurance gets you a replacement.

Alternatively you can get an Evo Shift off craigslist for about $200.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The Sense weather app sucks, it never updates my location (and it's not the phone, because other apps show the correct location). Is there another good weather widget for sense?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The "write to companies" thread (in GBS :v:) inspired me to ask Sprint if I am ever going to get that Gingerbread update for the Optimus that LG promised over eight months ago. The rep I live-chatted with a few minutes ago told me straight up that they are working on it, but there wasn't a date in their database on when it will be out.

Hopefully he's not full of crap. Maybe somebody who's on the Twitter (I'm not) could try for a public response from them about it?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I've got a 3D and I've started experiencing the random loss of power, where the only thing that will fix it is a pull of the battery. According to you guys Sprint will swap the phone out happily, except, I got mine on Craigslist from some dude who won it in a Sprint Gold Customer raffle or some such thing. It was legit, brand new in box but I'm worried they'll give me poo poo when I go in with my issue. Any suggestions?

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The rep I live-chatted with...

...Hopefully he's not full of crap.

Please don't get your hopes up because of this guy specifically.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
My upgrade is August 1st, should I even consider a Nexus S or should I just go for the Evo 3D?

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Tomahawk posted:

My upgrade is August 1st, should I even consider a Nexus S or should I just go for the Evo 3D?

May also want to consider the new Galaxy S II but I had both the Nexus and Evo 3D, and the E3D seemed to blow the Nexus out of the water for me in just about every way

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

visuvius posted:

I've got a 3D and I've started experiencing the random loss of power, where the only thing that will fix it is a pull of the battery. According to you guys Sprint will swap the phone out happily, except, I got mine on Craigslist from some dude who won it in a Sprint Gold Customer raffle or some such thing. It was legit, brand new in box but I'm worried they'll give me poo poo when I go in with my issue. Any suggestions?

Doesn't matter. The phone has a warranty and sprint will replace it no questions asked.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I saw someone else mention this earlier in the thread, but I don't recall if there was ever any resolution on it.

My Swype keyboard (pre-loaded on my 3D) randomly stops showing the trace path. Usually a reboot fixes it, but sometimes it doesn't, at at this point, it hasn't worked in over a week. The entire keyboard is actually not showing any changes, like I don't see it change from capital letters to lowercase either. I can still type on it, though.

Swype trace is turned on in options, the other keyboard that comes with it (Trace keyboard) is turned off, and I haven't loaded any other keyboards. I have the "fast boot" off, because I know that sometimes everything doesn't reset when you restart with that on.

What the hell do I do? I saw on some other forums that people said to load the default keyboard and then reload the Swype keyboard, but I don't see any way to do that. I don't seem to have a non-swype keyboard option, or even an option to turn Swype off.

Klint
Dec 19, 2006
Klint Eastwood
Sorry if this has already been asked but is the Samsung Replenish the best phone available that doesn't have the $10 fee?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Mnemosyne posted:

I don't seem to have a non-swype keyboard option, or even an option to turn Swype off.

Long-press on a text input field (like you would to select text), and an option will show up labeled "input method." Tap that, select "Touch Input," which loads the default HTC keyboard. Do it again and select Swype again. This has fixed the frozen GUI problem for me 100% of the time.

Also, the HTC keyboard does trace input as well (I think you have to turn it on in settings) and I thought was a better touch-type keyboard than Swype.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

sirbeefalot posted:

Long-press on a text input field (like you would to select text), and an option will show up labeled "input method." Tap that, select "Touch Input," which loads the default HTC keyboard. Do it again and select Swype again. This has fixed the frozen GUI problem for me 100% of the time.

Also, the HTC keyboard does trace input as well (I think you have to turn it on in settings) and I thought was a better touch-type keyboard than Swype.

That worked, you are awesome.

Everything I read said that the Trace keyboard option was inferior to Swype, but I'm sure it comes down to personal preference. Coming from a hardware keyboard, I was really frustrated at first trying to use the regular touchscreen keyboard, and Swype really saved me from hating my phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Klint posted:

Sorry if this has already been asked but is the Samsung Replenish the best phone available that doesn't have the $10 fee?

It is the only smartphone that doesn't have the $10 fee. So yes. And honestly its not a bad phone, just don't expect an amazing angry birds experience.

If you are on SERO the best phone is likely the Arrive.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The "write to companies" thread (in GBS :v:) inspired me to ask Sprint if I am ever going to get that Gingerbread update for the Optimus that LG promised over eight months ago. The rep I live-chatted with a few minutes ago told me straight up that they are working on it, but there wasn't a date in their database on when it will be out.

Hopefully he's not full of crap. Maybe somebody who's on the Twitter (I'm not) could try for a public response from them about it?

Wasn't that LG that promised the update? They do work together, but bugging LG would also be a good idea. Sprint retail reps are usually told jack poo poo, so any responses you get are probably just engadget articles. I have heard of people getting responses by email Dan Hesse (obviously not from him specifically).

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

OptimusMatrix posted:

Doesn't matter. The phone has a warranty and sprint will replace it no questions asked.

Well, I went in to my local store and the guy said because I didn't purchase it from Sprint, I would have to send the phone to HTC. Bummer. He told me I could try swinging by the other store nearby which has a repair center to see what they say but I imagine I'll get the same response. gently caress that sucks. I'm not even sure how the gently caress dealing with HTC would work, I'm not sure if I can be without my phone for the 2 or more weeks it would probably take.