Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I think that most people aren't willing to admit that their real problem with the ending was how shocked they were by it. The betrayal, and violence, and death, and rape were all quite a bit worse than anything that we'd seen up to that point. These things were happening to characters that we'd grown to care about, and that made it even worse.

A lot of the time, it's easier to say, "that makes no sense", than it is to say, "that was too horrible for me to accept".

No, I was not terribly shocked by the ending. It just wasn't gripping at all. The lead up to the Eclipse was compelling in the manga because you already knew what a behilit does, what the cost of becoming a demon is, how people get the Brand, and what the Brand does. So when the Eclipse finally happens, all you can focus on is how it's far worse than you had imagined.

In the anime, the behilit was doing jack poo poo the entire time, and had given us no reason to care about it beyond it being a symbol of fate that can block poisonous arrows and scare off Zodd. Then it summons a bunch of beings we've never seen before and tells us a bunch of stuff that would have been useful to know earlier. Then everyone gets eaten/raped. I didn't know it was based off a manga at the time, and it felt like they'd made poo poo up at the last moment so that there'd be a connection to the first episode. I wasn't horrified by the anime's Eclipse, I was bored.

Also, because the anime didn't feature the skeleton knight at all, they didn't show how Guts and Casca escaped the Eclipse. Instead, the show cuts straight from Casca being raped to Guts leaving Godo's house with his giant sword, ready to begin his rampage of revenge (if I remember correctly). I didn't even know Casca survived the Eclipse until I read the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

It's been six or seven years since I've seen the anime, but I don't feel that lack of foreshadowing is the real problem that people have with the ending.

While it is true that a lot of the supernatural elements were downplayed, they were far from absent. Two apostles were included in the show, prior to the eclipse. If Nosferatu Zodd and Cobra Commander could exist, then why shouldn't there be others? The show also included the behelit, which came with at least two prophecies. The first was relayed to the audience by Griffith, after the playful, homoerotic water fight. The second came from Zodd, after he got tired of slapping Guts and Griffith around. Both of these pointed toward some bad poo poo going down eventually. There was plenty of reason to expect an unpleasant ending to the story.

I think that most people aren't willing to admit that their real problem with the ending was how shocked they were by it. The betrayal, and violence, and death, and rape were all quite a bit worse than anything that we'd seen up to that point. These things were happening to characters that we'd grown to care about, and that made it even worse.

A lot of the time, it's easier to say, "that makes no sense", than it is to say, "that was too horrible for me to accept".

I saw the anime long before I read the manga and I really enjoyed it. The ending was shocking and horrible, but I never thought it was bad.

I really don't understand the hate for the anime, as everything it cut out it didn't need in the first place. The anime was only ever the Golden Age Arc, so characters like Skull Knight and that apostle from Volume 11 were superfluous with respect to the story the anime was trying to tell. The Golden Age Arc wasn't even an Arc in the anime, it was the WHOLE story. The story of a rise to power and a fall from grace, and the depths that would cause someone to sink to.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

TooManyUzukis posted:

I really don't understand the hate for the anime, as everything it cut out it didn't need in the first place. The anime was only ever the Golden Age Arc, so characters like Skull Knight and that apostle from Volume 11 were superfluous with respect to the story the anime was trying to tell. The Golden Age Arc wasn't even an Arc in the anime, it was the WHOLE story. The story of a rise to power and a fall from grace, and the depths that would cause someone to sink to.

What I never understood is how certain people claim it wasn't made the way Miura wanted it to be. All I remember hearing is how all of the cuts made to it were under the supervision and approval of Miura and it how it was never intended to go beyond 25 episodes (granted it's been a long time since I looked up anything about the original show).

In fact, he even said "The previous animation of Berserk served as a momentum to make it known to people." I would imagine that part of the reason it was adapted was to simply introduce the basic story to new audiences (especially international ones, as the success in Europe and North America has shown) and get more people reading the manga.

I guess that's a rational way of looking at it, as opposed to some of the people on Skullknight posting about how blasphemous the original show was to the creator\source material and acting shocked that it had so much material cut from it. There wasn't any intent in the first place to give it a "proper" adaptation, IIRC.

Still, it's kind of hard to even focus squarely on the relationship between Guts\Griffith without touching the supernatural parts which is something that definitely worked against the ending of the first series. Wasn't really shocking, just confusing as all hell.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If I remember correctly the anime only fell one episode short of the intended number, it's not like there was another season in the wings or anything.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Awesome Welles posted:

What I never understood iI would imagine that part of the reason it was adapted was to simply introduce the basic story to new audiences (especially international ones, as the success in Europe and North America has shown) and get more people reading the manga.

If that was it's purpose then it certainly worked. I've never actually watched the anime, but after hearing some friends talk about it and seeing trailers I really wanted to for ages. One of them kept promising to give me a loan of his copy of it, for about two years he kept telling me he'd give it to me next time we met. I eventually just got fed up and read the manga. Tore through whatever 30 odd volumes were out in the space of a few days.

Really need to re-read it again at some point. New movies look pretty cool.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

U-DO Burger posted:

No, I was not terribly shocked by the ending. It just wasn't gripping at all. The lead up to the Eclipse was compelling in the manga because you already knew what a behilit does, what the cost of becoming a demon is, how people get the Brand, and what the Brand does. So when the Eclipse finally happens, all you can focus on is how it's far worse than you had imagined.

I agree that the manga did it much better. Seeing examples of the process and realizing that Griffith was going to do something similar was pretty brutal. This doesn't mean that the anime's ending was bad, though.

U-DO Burger posted:

In the anime, the behilit was doing jack poo poo the entire time, and had given us no reason to care about it beyond it being a symbol of fate that can block poisonous arrows and scare off Zodd. Then it summons a bunch of beings we've never seen before and tells us a bunch of stuff that would have been useful to know earlier. Then everyone gets eaten/raped. I didn't know it was based off a manga at the time, and it felt like they'd made poo poo up at the last moment so that there'd be a connection to the first episode. I wasn't horrified by the anime's Eclipse, I was bored.

This kinda makes sense. Without the superior buildup that you get in the books, things happen pretty quickly at the end.

The anime had to cut a lot of things out in order to complete the arc in a reasonable number of episodes (although they did add at least one major battle that really wasn't more than filler). For the most part, I think that they made good choices about what to cut. As a result, the vast majority of the remaining material was focused on Golden Age stuff: the growth of the characters, and the tragedy that threw Griffith into a state of intense despair.

The world was portrayed as a relatively realistic place, with only the rare fantastic exception breaking that pattern... until the eclipse. The eclipse threw the expected pattern right out the window.

That doesn't make the eclipse a completely random event, though. In the end, this is what the whole Golden Age was building up to. This is what the prophecies and monsters were all about. This is why Griffith had to get so close to his ambitions, only to fail badly, and be tortured for so long. Despair, envy, and anger drove Griffith to make his decision. It was an emotionally charged moment.

If you only saw a bunch of loose ends flying together, then I can see why this wouldn't be interesting. I just don't think that it was that bad.

U-DO Burger posted:

Also, because the anime didn't feature the skeleton knight at all, they didn't show how Guts and Casca escaped the Eclipse. Instead, the show cuts straight from Casca being raped to Guts leaving Godo's house with his giant sword, ready to begin his rampage of revenge (if I remember correctly). I didn't even know Casca survived the Eclipse until I read the manga.

If you are trying to sell the anime as a complete story by itself, then there is no reason for Casca to survive. It is kinda unfortunate that they didn't explain how Guts escaped, though. That point confused me as well.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Don't knock the anime. The ending was pretty bad, but it did have this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stdY7NMWhLc&feature=related

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Serious Frolicking posted:

Don't knock the anime. The ending was pretty bad, but it did have this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stdY7NMWhLc&feature=related

I was expecting "I'm just a girl who can't say 'no'!"

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

I actually enjoyed watching the outtakes more than the anime :smith:

phelps
Mar 28, 2011

Anani Masu posted:

So I finally got around to reading through this series. Good stuff though some of the rape scenes seem a bit gratuitous. I then decided to read through the thread and came across this exchange from 2008.

quote:

You know what, I'm coming back on 2010. Hopefully caska will be healed by then.

quote:

They've been trying to get a boat for over a year now, at best they'll be halfway to Elf-land fighting random krakens.

What the gently caress have I gotten myself into.

I have the first 24 volumes and I'm just going to re-read from the beginning to get me up to speed for the animation and remind myself why I keep coming back for more, no matter how scarce.

phelps fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 15, 2011

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

My biggest fear is if he died in a freak accident before the series was finished.

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

What are you on about Zolo!?

Ekallo
Oct 13, 2006
what

these
The official site for the movie is up.

http://www.berserkfilm.com/

Not much information on there yet though, just the trailer from the previous page.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
~break time~

Berserk #324

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
T....T....T....tits

Ahhh Berserk, never change.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

temple posted:

T....T....T....tits

Ahhh Berserk, never change.

I'm sure that they'll all be raped by demon pirates soon enough.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Bit creepy you guys!

I wonder what Puck's true name is :allears:

and god drat it, no release date for the next chapter :negative:

At least we made it five or six chapters this time.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
oh god creepy old dude listening in for Isma's real name. The T-T-T-Tits thing was pretty funny though.

About the art, anyone think it's getting a bit too detailed? Like this fight inside the sea god, I can't tell what exactly is going on except when guts slashes something. It's too detailed!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
No wonder Puck always immediately helps everyone he speaks to

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I loved the crew's reaction to Isma; Isidoro was getting all defensive and the sailors are just "Oh, a mermaid. So? Weirder poo poo is going on over there".

This probably means Isma won't be joining the crew. A shame, I kinda liked her once she got past the original quasi-creepiness.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If she can change her fins back into legs I don't see why not. Even if she can't it's not that big of a hindrance while they're on a boat.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
She did just reunite with a whole bunch of other mermaids, though. She might want to stay with them.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
If you think about it, they already have someone on team Guts who uses fire and wind, maybe Isma will be the water user.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
And Guts, with the power of Heart.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Rakugoon posted:

And Guts, with the power of Heart.
They're both internal organs, it works.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Clearly Schierke is Heart. Guts is now and forever Captain Planet.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Elysiume posted:

She did just reunite with a whole bunch of other mermaids, though. She might want to stay with them.

I'd put good money on those mermaids either getting slaughtered or being in league with the sea god. It is berzerk after all.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Deki posted:

I'd put good money on those mermaids either getting slaughtered or being in league with the sea god. It is berzerk after all.

On the other hand, bear in mind that we're in a new act of the story. We're at a new paradigm once again.

I very much expect Guts is going to need help to take down Griffith (it's going to loving happen), and I think it's going to have to involve more forces than just his party to do it. Griffith is going to do something utterly unforgivable, something that will set Guts on the course away from saving Caska to his course of destruction again. And if Guts is expected to defeat a bloody member of the God Hand with an army of Apostles (and not just wimpy Apostles, we're talking about Top Tier ones, the kind Guts used to nearly put himself in the grave taking out in the past one on one), I think he's going to need help. Spiritual help.

Mermaids are a start, I think.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Guts leading an army of friendly fantasy creatures against the God Hand and apostles would own so hard.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

Guts leading an army of friendly fantasy creatures against the God Hand and apostles would own so hard.

Yes and I can see it happening too.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.
The forces that are gathering around Guts brings me to wonder if the Hawk of Darkness and Hawk of Light are really the same, namely the two sides of Femto/Griffith.

Of course Guts is a Hawk only by association to Griffith, and because of his position outside of the currents of fate, it's likely that the Prophecy which predicted Griffith's ascension to the Godhand doesn't account for him at all.

There's definitely an indication that Guts and the path his carving, also causes a gathering the last forces of fantasy brought through the overlay that aren't under the domain of the Godhand. The best example of this would be Schierke, as the apprentice of possibly the last great Witch. We haven't heard of anyone like Flora yet, and there seems to be no indication we should expect anyone like her either.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

A.S.H. posted:

The forces that are gathering around Guts brings me to wonder if the Hawk of Darkness and Hawk of Light are really the same, namely the two sides of Femto/Griffith.

They are totally the same thing. Guts is outside the whole mytho cycle, so he can't be the hawk of anything. He's the Guts of Guts. He's sacrificed, he's a non-player in the traditional sense. He's dead to fate, he just has no gently caress to give any day to just die.

Griffith is the Hawk of Light/Darkness in the fact that he's worshiped as a Savior while being the essence of the world's demise.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Well hell, I've decided to finally take the plunge and read Berserk. Just how bad is it waiting for new chapters to come out? I've dealt with a few Hunter x Hunter hiatuses but I've heard this is worse...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Reiche posted:

Well hell, I've decided to finally take the plunge and read Berserk. Just how bad is it waiting for new chapters to come out? I've dealt with a few Hunter x Hunter hiatuses but I've heard this is worse...

We've had, what, three or four chapter releases this year?

This has been a really busy year.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

We've had, what, three or four chapter releases this year?

This has been a really busy year.

Uh, more like six or seven. Given that it's a usually monthly-release thing, that's not bad at all.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Zorak posted:

Uh, more like six or seven. Given that it's a usually monthly-release thing, that's not bad at all.

Your optimism will set us all up for crushing sorrows in the months to come.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
From what iv'e seen the art in these is outstanding and much more detailed than run of the mill manga. I don't know much about how manga artists operate but I wouldn't blame the guy for monthly releases.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Megafunk posted:

From what iv'e seen the art in these is outstanding and much more detailed than run of the mill manga. I don't know much about how manga artists operate but I wouldn't blame the guy for monthly releases.

We aren't blaming him for monthly releases. We're blaming him for starting monthly then switching to something that almost resembles quarterly in a good year but the all come in one lump instead of spread out.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

dis astranagant posted:

We aren't blaming him for monthly releases. We're blaming him for starting monthly then switching to something that almost resembles quarterly in a good year but the all come in one lump instead of spread out.

I can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Less hyperbolically, from 1990-2006 we'd get a ~240 page tankoban filled twice a year. Since then, it's been annually and in smaller doses.

We just got 3 ~20 page chapters dumped on us in a month, I doubt anyone really expected that to keep going. 2 more 6 and 10 weeks before that... but there was a drought from December through April.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 27, 2011