Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

smr posted:

I had rooted my ATRIX a while back. Now, I would like to try the new Moto Gingerbread release. I did a full factory wipe/reset, yet when I try to apply the update it fails on some patch check. Has anybody managed to upgrade to official Gingerbread from Moto on a rooted ATRIX?

Figured my own stupidity out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
A couple things -

1. I'm running CM7.1 RC 1 on my EVO...is anyone else having an issue where the screen backlight doesn't come on about 25% of the time when you press the power button? I can see that the screen itself is on, but the backlight doesn't activate until I turn the screen off and back on again.

2. Does Google Maps constantly start itself as a running process? Maps is showing up in the battery monitor and spare parts, so I'know it's using some battery power (I have latitude turned off)

3. Are there any custom kernels that I should try? I would really like to get more than 10-14 hours of battery life out of my phone if possible. (IIRC, I was getting closer to 17-20 out of it when I was running the CM 7.0 RCs...)

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
Quick question: with an Evo 4G running the latest update, is it currently unrootable? A friend wanted me to install the wireless tether software, but she says that she installed the last update when it popped up. I did look for the answer, and everything I could find pointed to not rooted.

Edit: I know that the 3D has the "Perma-temp" root, but this post was meant to say for the original Evo4G

uapyro fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 26, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Ozmodiar posted:

A couple things -

1. I'm running CM7.1 RC 1 on my EVO...is anyone else having an issue where the screen backlight doesn't come on about 25% of the time when you press the power button? I can see that the screen itself is on, but the backlight doesn't activate until I turn the screen off and back on again.

2. Does Google Maps constantly start itself as a running process? Maps is showing up in the battery monitor and spare parts, so I'know it's using some battery power (I have latitude turned off)

3. Are there any custom kernels that I should try? I would really like to get more than 10-14 hours of battery life out of my phone if possible. (IIRC, I was getting closer to 17-20 out of it when I was running the CM 7.0 RCs...)

1 happens to me on whatever nightly build I'm on. I haven't noticed 2, but with my extended battery, I rarely bother to look at the battery graph. Same reason I've never looked into 3.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

brc64 posted:

1 happens to me on whatever nightly build I'm on. I haven't noticed 2, but with my extended battery, I rarely bother to look at the battery graph. Same reason I've never looked into 3.

What battery do you use?

Are there any extended life batteries that still work with the standard backing? I really don't want to give up my OtterBox...

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Ozmodiar posted:

What battery do you use?

Are there any extended life batteries that still work with the standard backing? I really don't want to give up my OtterBox...

I use the 3500 mAh Seidio battery, which is physically larger, so it would probably not play well with your OtterBox. I do, however, prefer the soft rubberized back cover that came with the battery over the stock battery cover, for what it's worth.

The battery itself is great. I get do all the cool poo poo my phone can do without having to worry about the battery. I have my Friends widget updating Twitter and Facebook feeds every 5 minutes because I can.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

uapyro posted:

Quick question: with an Evo 4G running the latest update, is it currently unrootable? A friend wanted me to install the wireless tether software, but she says that she installed the last update when it popped up. I did look for the answer, and everything I could find pointed to not rooted.

Edit: I know that the 3D has the "Perma-temp" root, but this post was meant to say for the original Evo4G
Yeah, so far the latest update is unrootable.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Ok... so what happens when I wipe the following... and what is best process when going from ROM to ROM?

data
dalvik
cache

Wiping all 3 is considered a "full wipe" right? Does this pretty much put me back to a brand new stock phone that is rooted still?

Does anything hang around like apps that I have downloaded or do I have to re download them? What about backups from Titanium?

Sort of half confused I guess.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

Krime posted:

Ok... so what happens when I wipe the following... and what is best process when going from ROM to ROM?

data
dalvik
cache

Wiping all 3 is considered a "full wipe" right? Does this pretty much put me back to a brand new stock phone that is rooted still?

Does anything hang around like apps that I have downloaded or do I have to re download them? What about backups from Titanium?

Sort of half confused I guess.

Yep, that's what is considered a full wipe. What it does is it just sends you back to a state like when you first loaded that ROM - initial setup with Wifi, your Google account, etc. Nothing hangs around except what is normally present on the system, and your Titanium Backups are always on the sd card so they don't get deleted.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

Yep, that's what is considered a full wipe. What it does is it just sends you back to a state like when you first loaded that ROM - initial setup with Wifi, your Google account, etc. Nothing hangs around except what is normally present on the system, and your Titanium Backups are always on the sd card so they don't get deleted.

Thanks for the clarification.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
I have a Galaxy S. I flashed my kernel with the voodoo fix.

OH MY GOD it makes a huge difference. It doesn't just pause doing trivial things ALL THE FREAKING TIME anymore.

I also have Launcher Pro plus, which seems fantastic. What's the differences of MIUI over CM7? Trying to work out where to go next.

Edit: also, I assume this will make swype stop working?

IntelligibleChoir fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 26, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hey Maker of Shoes, or anyone who still has a G2x running CM7 I guess, how is it these days? Still lovely on GPS? I see lots of commits going in, just wondering if any progress is being made.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

brc64 posted:

I use the 3500 mAh Seidio battery, which is physically larger, so it would probably not play well with your OtterBox. I do, however, prefer the soft rubberized back cover that came with the battery over the stock battery cover, for what it's worth.

The battery itself is great. I get do all the cool poo poo my phone can do without having to worry about the battery. I have my Friends widget updating Twitter and Facebook feeds every 5 minutes because I can.

Haha. Awesome.

The warehouse I work in is very dusty/dirty so I need a case that covers the charging and headphone ports to keep them clean. Are there any "extended" batteries for the EVO that fits within the standard back cover?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Hey Maker of Shoes, or anyone who still has a G2x running CM7 I guess, how is it these days? Still lovely on GPS? I see lots of commits going in, just wondering if any progress is being made.
GPS still sucks, although people are claiming the new baseband helps that. I'm too lazy to go through the effort of installing it, though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

GPS still sucks, although people are claiming the new baseband helps that. I'm too lazy to go through the effort of installing it, though.
You'll forgive me for not taking what the people on xda are saying seriously.

Besides, the GPS works fine until the data expires so it might be too soon to say whether the baseband makes any difference at all.

According to Phandroid the G2x is now shipping with Gingerbread so it's probably the lovely, broken version I installed earlier so don't hold out hope of the update solving our problems.

I might go ahead this weekend and install the baseband. I was holding out for a flashable zip but that's not been incoming so if I want it I'm going to have to go through that LG Updater.

Any other issues with CM7 I need to know about?

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus
Update on CM7 for DX: Installed Nightly #40 (7/25) and stability has massively improved. I'm sitting at 8 hours uptime without a reboot so far. This is my happy dance.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Has anyone else noticed that on CM7 RC1, the alarm clock screen saver doesn't dim like the main clock screen does?

When you first go into clock, I always press the little button in the top right corner to dim the screen...then a little bit later when the screen saver comes on it blasts my eyeballs with the light of a thousand suns.

Stock Android doesn't do that. :(

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
If I want to put back the latest stock rom from HTC onto my Desire (coming from CM7), can I just flash it or does it have to be unrooted first?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Nupraptor posted:

Update on CM7 for DX: Installed Nightly #40 (7/25) and stability has massively improved. I'm sitting at 8 hours uptime without a reboot so far. This is my happy dance.

Still need to run the all in one fix for it after initial flash?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Thermopyle posted:

Has anyone else noticed that on CM7 RC1, the alarm clock screen saver doesn't dim like the main clock screen does?

When you first go into clock, I always press the little button in the top right corner to dim the screen...then a little bit later when the screen saver comes on it blasts my eyeballs with the light of a thousand suns.

Stock Android doesn't do that. :(

I haven't used a stock alarm since getting gentle alarm. You ought to give it a go.

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus

rotaryfun posted:

Still need to run the all in one fix for it after initial flash?
Yep. It's going to be a while before cvpcs gets that worked out, I think. But it's barely an inconvenience. I'm going to hold off on upgrading to further nightlies until there's some significant improvement (working AOSP camera, for instance). He's also working on getting CM7 booting off the Gingerbread kernel, which would be spiffy - even if I'm not sure what advantage it would have at this point (better battery life, maybe?).

http://cvpcs.org/blog/2011-07-26/i_can_haz_an_update

Nupraptor fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 26, 2011

AllenR
Dec 5, 2007
Blerg

Civil posted:

Just do this part from this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=855764

Did this, and it this is how it turned out.

code:
C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb push gfree /data/local
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
1086 KB/s (716548 bytes in 0.644s)

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell
# su
su
# cd /data/local
cd /data/local
# chmod 777 gfree
chmod 777 gfree
# ./gfree -f
./gfree -f
--secu_flag off set
--cid set. CID will be changed to: 11111111
--sim_unlock. SIMLOCK will be removed
Section header entry size: 40
Number of section headers: 44
Total section header table size: 1760
Section header file offset: 0x000138b4 (80052)
Section index for section name string table: 41
String table offset: 0x000136fb (79611)
Searching for .modinfo section...
 - Section[16]: .modinfo
 -- offset: 0x00000a14 (2580)
 -- size: 0x000000cc (204)
Kernel release: 2.6.35.13-cyanogenmod-ga15a1a7
New .modinfo section size: 216
Attempting to power cycle eMMC... Failed.
Module returned an unknown code (No such file or directory).
# sync
sync
Should it be working now, or did something happen?

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Nupraptor posted:

Yep. It's going to be a while before cvpcs gets that worked out, I think. But it's barely an inconvenience. I'm going to hold off on upgrading to further nightlies until there's some significant improvement (working AOSP camera, for instance). He's also working on getting CM7 booting off the Gingerbread kernel, which would be spiffy - even if I'm not sure what advantage it would have at this point (better battery life, maybe?).

http://cvpcs.org/blog/2011-07-26/i_can_haz_an_update

There are some of us who experience constant reboots on the froyo kernel so that would be huge for me.

You also aren't going to find the camera fixes, etc. included in CM7 anytime soon (unless cvpcs gets AOSP camera working, like Nupraptor said) because the fixes people have come up with use Motorola files. CM7 can't distribute them without permission, similar to how they can't include the Google Apps.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Been using MIUI on my Droid X for a few days now, and apart from issues with the dock I have on my desk it's been amazing.

Is there any way to check for new weeklies on the phone, or is looking at the website and downloading from there the normal way?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

AllenR posted:

Did this, and it this is how it turned out.

The emmc thing seems to point to a version of the radio that's incompatible with the version of gfree that you're using. Read up on the latter pages of that xda thread.

Mr. Despair posted:

Been using MIUI on my Droid X for a few days now, and apart from issues with the dock I have on my desk it's been amazing.

Is there any way to check for new weeklies on the phone, or is looking at the website and downloading from there the normal way?
Isn't the MIUI rom listed in rom manager for your phone?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
If Google supports rooting, why did the OTA Update break its rootability? :(

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Ozmodiar posted:

A couple things -

I had #1 happen to me 99% of the time on CM7.0.3. Drove me loving insane. If you touch the screen does the backlight come on though? That's what I would do. I just got use to doing the slider without seeing it on the lock screen.

I also had poo poo battery life on CM7, going from the earlier builds up to 7.0.3. Like, 5 hours barely using it bad.

While I really liked a lot of CM7, I decided last week to try out a different ROM and see if my phone actually works correctly. I was feeling like it was my phone and not the ROM as I had the same issues with multiple versions of CM and it's not like they were widespread issues (from what I could tell). So I went with Synergy ROM, and gently caress me it's awesome. Runs better than stock/CM/Fresh for me, by far. Also, the first charge out of it, I got FOURTY loving HOURS, and I just plugged it in at that time because I was going to bed, it still had ~15%. I haven't had the battery come close to dying on me since I flashed, and that's not even the reason I switched to it originally.

ComradeCasey
Jul 7, 2008

by Duchess Gummybuns

Civil posted:

The emmc thing seems to point to a version of the radio that's incompatible with the version of gfree that you're using. Read up on the latter pages of that xda thread.

It wasn't originally when it came out, but it is now. Its in the free section with the Extras/GApps, not the Nightlies.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

ComradeCasey posted:

It wasn't originally when it came out, but it is now. Its in the free section with the Extras/GApps, not the Nightlies.

It's listed under the "Download ROM" section on my phone, next to all the other ROM's, and yesterday's release is already up. I thought the only nightlies listed on here were for CM, and those were only available to paid ROM Manager users.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

eightysixed posted:

If Google supports rooting, why did the OTA Update break its rootability? :(

Google has nothing to do with the G2.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Civil posted:

It is now, it didn't have rom manager installed by default though. All good now though.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

Google has nothing to do with the G2.

Also, rooting through exploits leaves vulnerabilities in the system which could compromise the phone and your data which is bad.

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus

jfreder posted:

There are some of us who experience constant reboots on the froyo kernel so that would be huge for me.
Yeah, I mentioned having the same issue in my original post. But the latest nightly (#40, 07/25) has been much improved in that regard. Give it a shot, if you haven't already.

Also, I'm beginning to suspect that CM4DX really doesn't like you fiddling with its framework apk. So try not to do that.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

big mean giraffe posted:

Also, rooting through exploits leaves vulnerabilities in the system which could compromise the phone and your data which is bad.

It depends on the exploit. Some of the exploits are to gain super user permission inside the OS. Once you've got SuperUser in place, it should prevent these same exploits, since it's got a different security system. If it's a hardware (or firmware, which is close enough for this discussion) level flaw to allow writing to the flash memory outside of the OS, then it's always going to be insecure. Luckily, there are very few of these exploits.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

ddogflex posted:

I had #1 happen to me 99% of the time on CM7.0.3. Drove me loving insane. If you touch the screen does the backlight come on though? That's what I would do. I just got use to doing the slider without seeing it on the lock screen.

Unfortunately, just knowing where the slider is and unlocking the screen doesn't work. The only thing that does is to cycle the screen off and on again. It's really loving irritating.

ddogflex posted:

I also had poo poo battery life on CM7, going from the earlier builds up to 7.0.3. Like, 5 hours barely using it bad.

While I really liked a lot of CM7, I decided last week to try out a different ROM and see if my phone actually works correctly. I was feeling like it was my phone and not the ROM as I had the same issues with multiple versions of CM and it's not like they were widespread issues (from what I could tell). So I went with Synergy ROM, and gently caress me it's awesome. Runs better than stock/CM/Fresh for me, by far. Also, the first charge out of it, I got FOURTY loving HOURS, and I just plugged it in at that time because I was going to bed, it still had ~15%. I haven't had the battery come close to dying on me since I flashed, and that's not even the reason I switched to it originally.

Thank god I'm not getting THAT bad of battery life...

Maybe it's time I branch out and try some other ROMs. I've only used Stock, Fresh, and CyanogenMod.

Is Synergy Sense-based or AOSP-based?

I know a lot of people are fans of MIUI...anyone running/ran it on their EVO 4G and have an opinion on it?

Before I go switching ROMs (I really like the features/functionality of CM7), are there any other decent kernels I could/should try?

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
Hey guys-have galaxy s, with swype. Do I lose it if I switch over to another rom?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AllenR posted:

Try an older version of gfree. It's going to need "success" after trying to power cycle the eMMC.

Didn't you already do this when you rooted? Here is a tool you can run to verify whether gfree SIM unlocked your phone.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Ozmodiar posted:

Thank god I'm not getting THAT bad of battery life...

Maybe it's time I branch out and try some other ROMs. I've only used Stock, Fresh, and CyanogenMod.

Is Synergy Sense-based or AOSP-based?

I know a lot of people are fans of MIUI...anyone running/ran it on their EVO 4G and have an opinion on it?

Before I go switching ROMs (I really like the features/functionality of CM7), are there any other decent kernels I could/should try?

Yeah, CM7 was pretty ridiculous on my phone, I don't know why it hated my phone so hard, or why I dealt with it so long.

Synergy is Sense 3.0/2.1, so a lot nicer than what's on a stock EVO, more like what an EVO 3D has for Sense.

And I would love to try MIUI myself, but the lack of WiMax kills it for me. And I don't trust Chinese devs. :tinfoil:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

No idea. The official official OTA went out yesterday and a quick glance at XDA is suggesting comas/reboots are fixed. Hasn't been long enough to say if GPS is functional though.

I sold my G2x and left the girlfriend's on nightly 80 something. She isn't bitching about it rebooting but she doesn't use GPS either. I'm hesitant to even touch it at this point. BUT I think I'm going to talk to her tonight and just unroot it and let it OTA. I'm so sick of dealing with it and if the bumble fucks on XDA say its semi daily drivable than that's good enough for me.

As for CM, until the team says to update the baseband I wouldn't touch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CM7 alpha testers needed for the Atrix.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1186402