Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Gaseous Snake posted:

Batman and Robin. Mike, Bill, and Kevin didn't write it and it shows.

I really like the Batman and Robin riff. Much like The Room, the movie is so drunkenly inexplicable at every turn that it drat near riffs itself, taking the riffers along for the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Bedurndurn posted:

I really like the Batman and Robin riff. Much like The Room, the movie is so drunkenly inexplicable at every turn that it drat near riffs itself, taking the riffers along for the ride.

The Uma Thurman joke during the opening credits is so stupid yet brilliant. I can't help but love B&R.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BisonDollah posted:

Cheers guys. Any I should avoid?

Inception isn't a bad riff but the actual film is really good and there's a lot of time they seem to be really struggling to find a joke.

Twilight and New Moon are by far the best, the films are unbelievably hilarious and the in-jokes they build up ...line? are great. Eclipse is good too but I found it lacking by that point. But that might be because I marathon watched all three.

And Birdemic is pretty much the funniest thing ever. Doubly so for the riffed version.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Has anyone had any luck playing a Rifftrax in Window Media Player while watching a Netflix Stream in the Browser? Tried to watch The Last Airbender that way, but it killed all the audio from the movie. While that wouldn't be a bad thing normally, I do need to hear the movie to know if it still synced.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Rirse posted:

Has anyone had any luck playing a Rifftrax in Window Media Player while watching a Netflix Stream in the Browser? Tried to watch The Last Airbender that way, but it killed all the audio from the movie. While that wouldn't be a bad thing normally, I do need to hear the movie to know if it still synced.

I've done this, but I used VLC media player instead of Windows Media Player. Worked just fine for me.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bobservo posted:

I've done this, but I used VLC media player instead of Windows Media Player. Worked just fine for me.

I will try that instead. Thanks Bob Servo.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Rifftrax has come to Hulu! Featuring 5 VODs and 10 Shorts (Of which I own 3 VODs and 8 shorts, but hey)

http://www.hulu.com/studio/rifftrax?sort=name

:woop:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Locutus of Bald posted:

Rifftrax has come to Hulu! Featuring 5 VODs and 10 Shorts (Of which I own 3 VODs and 8 shorts, but hey)

Huh, I knew they were trying to get on Netflix streaming but this is a good sign.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Locutus of Bald posted:

This is the best news I've heard all day. Thanks!

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Is hulu still free?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Cubemario posted:

Is hulu still free?

Yes.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

precision posted:

Inception isn't a bad riff but the actual film is really good and there's a lot of time they seem to be really struggling to find a joke.
I thought that too. Same with The Bourne Identity, which is a perfectly decent thriller and didn't give them much to work with except for lamely mocking the shape of Matt Damon's head.

I wouldn't say that any movie is unriffable, but some are clearly better targets than others. Mike said himself in the recent Q&A that movies with lots of action are bad for riffing; I guess they're caught in a bit of a Catch-22 as popular blockbusters are likely to have more people buying the riffs, but those self-same movies actually limit what can be done with the format because they usually feature long action sequences.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Payndz posted:

I guess they're caught in a bit of a Catch-22 as popular blockbusters are likely to have more people buying the riffs, but those self-same movies actually limit what can be done with the format because they usually feature long action sequences.

Thankfully, Twilight movies don't have that "action" problem.

Just started on the Harry Potter riffs, and they're good but it really is hard not to think "I just wish Brad Neely had done Wizard People, Dear Readers for every film." Maybe they could get him as a guest riffer when they do Deathly Hallows...

Also, The Happening is so bad I couldn't even make it through the riff in one sitting. Zooey Deschanel, you make the worst career choices. Stick to being an indie pop singer and That Quirky Girl (shut up, 500 Days of Summer is great).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

precision posted:

Also, The Happening is so bad I couldn't even make it through the riff in one sitting. Zooey Deschanel, you make the worst career choices. Stick to being an indie pop singer and That Quirky Girl (shut up, 500 Days of Summer is great).

Give it another try.

Also, Zooey's biggest worst career choice is going to be her TV show this fall.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mister Kingdom posted:

Give it another try.

I made a drinking game out of "take a shot any time somebody says something "is happening" or "happened" or any variation thereof" and was trashed pretty quick, so that helped.

I really cannot believe a studio saw that film and said "You know what? We should release this. This will make us money."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

precision posted:

I really cannot believe a studio saw that film and said "You know what? We should release this. This will make us money."
More like they saw it and went "Welp, we already spent the money to make this turd, but the sooner we put it out there the more chance that enough mugs will see it to make our losses slightly less crippling."

It'll be interesting to see if Shyamalan can get any worse after The Happening and Airbender.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

CrumFUNist! posted:

There will never be anything funnier than their Star Wars Holiday Special riff.

I kind of want to get this but don't know where to get the Star Wars Holiday Special itself.

The Happening is another one I'd like to get but think I'll wait until the dvd goes down in price.

BloodDesk UnderHell
Sep 24, 2007

Wow! He licks good boot!

Slasherfan posted:

I kind of want to get this but don't know where to get the Star Wars Holiday Special itself.

The Happening is another one I'd like to get but think I'll wait until the dvd goes down in price.

The video they use is at Google Video. I think it's this one. I hope so because you might be lost when they go to a commercial.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=323909610753051544

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BloodDesk UnderHell posted:

The video they use is at Google Video. I think it's this one. I hope so because you might be lost when they go to a commercial.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=323909610753051544

While they don't give you a link to the video they do mention how long its supposed to be so if you match that up its fine.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Mike and friends left you a little hint, if you didn't have your pals at SomethingAwful to ask:

quote:

Because we taped ours off of the television set, and our NV-9300 doesn't have an "edit" function printed on one of its dozens of plastic piano key-style switches, we just left the commercials in there.

(We're sure the International Ladies Garment Workers Union won't mind.) So ours is two hours long and has a descriptive scroll on the front end, just like the one you can Get frOm yOur friend Greg, in LakE VIDEO, Illinois. (Don't look it up, they don't like to draw attention to themselves in Lake Video.)

But, yeah, two hours along, that's probably it.

edit: I almost forgot, but Google Video is getting shut down soon, now that Google owns youtube. I've better get to figuring out a way to rip that google video finding a legit copy of the Star Wars Christmas Special, available for sale exactly nowhere.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 26, 2011

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
There is no "legit" source for the holiday special.

However, you can torrent a pre-synced rifftrax version.

As far as morals go: the film exists, much like the KTMA MST3K episodes, as a circulation. No one is releasing it, and the copyright is negligible.

So torrent it pre-synced, and just buy/donate the riff.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I would not want to advocate :filez:, even for something you can't buy anywhere, on SA, but, yeah, I already bought the riff mp3. I'm just talking about securing my purchase for the future, once the google video is gone.

Your method will work, though I won't condone it. :colbert:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
That's pretty much the only legal grey area rifftrax.

All the others are copyright protected by Rifftrax and the film studios, so you will get spanked for downloading them pre-synced.

Plus, gently caress you if you don't pay for the riff. Yeah, it's a crime or whatever to download, say, Inception, but that movie made a trillion billion dollars and I won't cry over Chris Nolan losing a few bucks. You're really stealing from Mike et al. when people do that.

But, again, no one is losing money from the circulation of Holiday Special or the KTMA episodes of MST. Hell, Joel himself encourages that stuff.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is the holiday special going to be funny to someone who doesn't give a gently caress about Star Wars in general? All the recent riffs didn't seem too attractive to me. Otherwise, I'm waiting for 2012 or some other ridiculous piece of poo poo movie to get ripped apart.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Is the holiday special going to be funny to someone who doesn't give a gently caress about Star Wars in general? All the recent riffs didn't seem too attractive to me. Otherwise, I'm waiting for 2012 or some other ridiculous piece of poo poo movie to get ripped apart.
It's great, because the Holiday Special has almost nothing to do with Star Wars! But everything to do with unpleasantness.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Oh lord, the did another entry in the "At Your Fingertip" series that gave us the Grass short.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

mobby_6kl posted:

Is the holiday special going to be funny to someone who doesn't give a gently caress about Star Wars in general?

Oh, the only thing related to Star Wars is the characters. We've got bizarrely-dressed holographic acrobats, unintelligible wookie arguments, grandpa wookie getting a hologram peep show, Evil Ned Flanders and one of the Golden Girls singing a song to drunken aliens to drive them out of her bar.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Vicissitude posted:

Oh, the only thing related to Star Wars is the characters. We've got bizarrely-dressed holographic acrobats, unintelligible wookie arguments, grandpa wookie getting a hologram peep show, Evil Ned Flanders and one of the Golden Girls singing a song to drunken aliens to drive them out of her bar.

Also my favorite part of the Rifftrax...the commercials. I love the fact they also mock all the poorly aged 70s ads.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Basically, fans of Star Wars aren't going to have a clue what's going either, so you're in good company.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
I'm watching Aesop's Sound Fables - Frozen Frolics and I have no clue what the gently caress is going on.

Up next, the infamous grasses short!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bobulus posted:

Basically, fans of Star Wars aren't going to have a clue what's going either, so you're in good company.

I never watched it until recently (well, I might have seen it when it aired, but I think I blocked it out) and it is truly one of the weirdest things I have ever seen, bar none.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I really want to know if the opening credits list 'R2-D2 as... R2-D2!' because they couldn't get Kenny Baker to do it or cheaped out with an RC-controlled puppet or something.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Watched The Ice Cream Bunny again, and this time for some reason Bill's New York mole absolutely cracked me up. "And besides, he coulda applied for municipal heating assistance from the may-oar's owar-fice!"

But still, nothing can compare with this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
OK, the Harry Potter riffs definitely get better with each installment. Bit of a rock start on the first two, I'd say, and it doesn't help that the movies are all so padded out with 20-40 minutes of "celebrating" and "additional dialogue". And Quidditch. God drat, gently caress Quidditch (and I say that as someone who didn't notice it being bad when I watched the un-riffed HP movies whenever they'd hit HBO).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy gently caress you guys weren't kidding about the Star Wars Holiday Special, what a bizarre mess! Having recently seen the Ice Cream Bunny riff, I have to say that Bunny almost made more sense than this, to the point that I thought the riff sometimes wasn't able to top it. That is not to say that it's a bad riff though, it was good fun.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
They should do a Riff on The Apaches, I think that short is Public Domain.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So, it turns out that watching the Star Wars Holiday Special melts your brain.

How in the hell did the idea of having it revolve around Chewbacca's family who speak subtitleless Wookie the whole time make it past the first seconds of that idea's existence? Who gives out names on their hosed up planet? Why in Shiva's name did the Empire order all it's troops to watch Bea Arthur sing and tend bar? And that fantasy hologram, what the gently caress? And the dead eyes of every Wookie, and the cartoon about Boba Fett and our heroes apparently put out by the rebellion, and everything about Life Day. What in the nine hells drove them to put in a pointless scene where Lumpy decides to walk on the railing thousands of feet above the ground? How did this poo poo get made?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My guess: "It was the 70s" + "Cocaine is a Hell of a drug" = Star Wars Holiday Special

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Is there anywhere to contact Rifftrax and make a suggestion? I think this would make a good riff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0GyRz_lOQA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

precision posted:

My guess: "It was the 70s" + "Cocaine is a Hell of a drug" = Star Wars Holiday Special

The only problem with that is Carrie Fisher already snorted all the cocaine.

• Locked thread