Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
digitalwatchmaker
Dec 11, 2008

This might be preaching to the crowd, but remember to put a static IP dhcp reservation to your printer if its on dchp as when your printer or router goes offline you have a chance of getting a new and shine IP for your printer and printing does not work. For ex. canon printer require a router and don't do adhoc, HP printers seem to do adhoc.

Also in printers its especially true that you get what you pay for, so a printer that costs 50 bux and is marked as a home product will drop support for new operating systems than a 100 bux basic business model that will have all systems from linux, osx to 98-win7 64 bit and the repair options aren't just "send us the printer for x weeks" but many people don't pay any attention to this as they just want to print a paper and will buy a new printer every 2 years.

tl:dr if you use network printing with dhcp, remember to set static ip adress a dhcp reservation and if you do work with your printer considder buying a business class printer.

also, using a 10m usb cable can cause issues if you don't have a signal repeater in it, some machines will work, some don't.

Removing power from a inkjet printer is a fast way to dry up the printheads as it does not do its normal cleaning, so is leaving empty cartriges in for months.

Maybe we should just have a FAQ in the op or something.

Edit: I'm dumb

digitalwatchmaker fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Please don't use static IPs. Use a DHCP reservation instead.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Please don't use static IPs. Use a DHCP reservation instead.

I think that's what he meant, just a lovely way of saying it.

A static IP is one you set on the device. Fixed DHCP or a DHCP reservation is where the DHCP server is configured to give a particular device the same address every time.

If you don't do that you're an idiot.

Liongate
May 29, 2009

Liongate posted:

Its time for me to buy a printer.

Multifunction I want scanner and copy really. Fax is not needed. Well Screw that...I just need printer
Laser or Led since I don't be printing often.
Colour and Duplex Now that I am not getting multifunction....I want both Duplex and Colour
Wireless is not must but is always a plus

Skipping multifunction opens whole new can of wonders, so I will throw the bones and ask you shamans to tell me my future.

gently caress the multifunction madness and suggest me a good printer, I scan and copy my poo poo elsewhere.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I just noticed HP updated this month a larger line of Airprint printers, list is on apple.com:

quote:

AirPrint-enabled printers
HP Envy e-All-in-One series (D410a)
HP Photosmart Plus e-AiO (B210a)
HP Photosmart Premium e-AiO (C310a)
HP Photosmart Premium Fax e-AiO (C410a)
HP Photosmart e-AiO (D110)
HP Photosmart eStation (C510)
HP LaserJet P1102w Printer
HP LaserJet P1606dn Printer
HP LaserJet Pro CP1025nw Color Printer
HP LaserJet Pro M1212nf MFP
HP LaserJet Pro M1213nf MFP
HP LaserJet Pro M1214nfh MFP
HP LaserJet Pro M1216nfh MFP
HP LaserJet Pro M1217nfw MFP
HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf Multifunction Printer
HP LaserJet Pro CM1415fn Color Multifunction Printer
HP LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw Color Multifunction Printer
HP LaserJet Pro CP1525n Color Printer
HP LaserJet Pro CP1525nw Color Printer
HP Officejet 6500A e-AiO
HP Officejet 6500A Plus e-AiO
HP Officejet 7500A Wide Format e-AiO
HP Officejet Pro 8500A e-AiO
HP Officejet Pro 8500A Premium e-AiO
HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus e-AiO

The P1102w looking quite a good choice as a cheap wifi laser for $99, the P1606dn comes with duplex for $129 but loses wifi, then up at $179 for colour with the CP1025nw.

A forum lists driver update 6/9 for airprint support so all the reviews anywhere aren't that useful.

HP.com website remains a cesspit for finding any of this information though.

I am still surprised other vendors don't have any native Airprint support yet, they all have gimmicky Apps to print photos and not much else.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 30, 2011

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Liongate posted:

gently caress the multifunction madness and suggest me a good printer, I scan and copy my poo poo elsewhere.

Here are your choice from Brother. Duplex costs more, and wireless costs more, and both together costs even more.

Liongate
May 29, 2009

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Here are your choice from Brother. Duplex costs more, and wireless costs more, and both together costs even more.

Both are little bit too rich for my blood in here, cheaper with out wireless was over 400€ (400€ = 579.76US$) so thats a no go. Even from amazon.co.uk it was over my budget. I went with Lexmark C543dn. No wireless but price was too good to pass for 170£ and with free shipping. It has quite a cheap black ink as well.

Thank for the help even tough I went with different one.
When I get mine and it turns out to be pile of steaming poo poo you can point and laugh.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm thinking of getting the downright cheapest Brother B/W laser printer I can find. I just need a USB printer I can print a single page with once every couple of months. I had an old HP laser printer that got thrown out by accident when I was moving. I kept that one for over 5 years, never replaced the toner and I got it used. That's all I want from the next one I buy, I'll use it incredibly infrequently and I don't want it to die from just sitting there for a month or 2.

Are there any pitfalls in the Brother lineup or are the old HP printers more reliable and I should just wait until I see another one of those pop up for really cheap again? Reliability's all I care about, it could take 2 minutes per page and only support printing text as long as it's not going to break or require crazy software stuff to get it working each time I want to use it.

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

I need a printer/scanner/fax that prints great clear photos. I don't care if it can print wireless or prints slowly. My business requires that I print photos sometimes so the quality of the photos is most important.

My crappy old HP right now that eats my paper and is always out of ink or the ink dries quickly. My budget is $1200 and I would like to be able to buy it from a store. I don't mind ordering from England but if I have to return the printer I want to be able to do so right away.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Ebjan posted:

I need a printer/scanner/fax that prints great clear photos. I don't care if it can print wireless or prints slowly. My business requires that I print photos sometimes so the quality of the photos is most important.

My crappy old HP right now that eats my paper and is always out of ink or the ink dries quickly. My budget is $1200 and I would like to be able to buy it from a store. I don't mind ordering from England but if I have to return the printer I want to be able to do so right away.

Multifunction and printing great photos don't really go together in a single device. For $1200 you should be able to get a nice mono multifunction laser and a nice inkjet for photos, probably something in the Canon Pixma line, and have plenty left over to blow on ink cartridges. But unless you really need to print color photos on demand, you'd be a lot better of taking them to a nearby photo printing kiosk.

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

Thank you for the advice/recommendation Cpt.Wacky

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm going to be needing a monochrome laser printer soon.

The catches: I need affordable (college student), and I need networked. I'd prefer wireless, but wired networking is fine if it'll save me some money. I don't care much about speed, but it has to be new enough for Windows 7. I also don't need duplexing. I don't print a whole lot - under 500 sheets a month for sure - but the care and feeding of inkjets is just stupid when 95% of what I print is text.

I'd also like one that either doesn't quit printing when the toner is "low", or has some way to defeat said printing-quitting habits.

Suggestions? The Samsung ML-1865w looks like it'd fit the bill, but I have no idea how well that would hold up, nor what the build quality is like on Samsung printers (plus it just seems too cheap to be real).

I haven't had to buy a printer since the 90s, so I have no loving clue what's good and what isn't. My current hand-me-down HP Photosmart is pretty drat quick, but there's no native 7 drivers, no networking, and there's the care and feeding aspect.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
You almost certainly want a Brother HL-2270DW - it has wireless, it's fast, does duplexing, efficient with toner, and they're very well regarded overall. They're about $150

I have the old model, but I've gone through two trays of paper on the initial cartridge and it hasn't missed a beat yet. I think there's a sensor you can cover if you want to squeeze out every last bit of toner instead of triggering the "out of toner" error.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 5, 2011

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

some texas redneck posted:

I'm going to be needing a monochrome laser printer soon.

The catches: I need affordable (college student), and I need networked. I'd prefer wireless, but wired networking is fine if it'll save me some money. I don't care much about speed, but it has to be new enough for Windows 7. I also don't need duplexing. I don't print a whole lot - under 500 sheets a month for sure - but the care and feeding of inkjets is just stupid when 95% of what I print is text.

I'd also like one that either doesn't quit printing when the toner is "low", or has some way to defeat said printing-quitting habits.

Suggestions? The Samsung ML-1865w looks like it'd fit the bill, but I have no idea how well that would hold up, nor what the build quality is like on Samsung printers (plus it just seems too cheap to be real).

I haven't had to buy a printer since the 90s, so I have no loving clue what's good and what isn't. My current hand-me-down HP Photosmart is pretty drat quick, but there's no native 7 drivers, no networking, and there's the care and feeding aspect.
I essentially need this. I'm looking to print a lot of forms so I need laser rather than inkjets. Looking for under $200 or close to that. Needs to be laser and have a scanner/printer. At least wired, preferred wireless.

Bonus if it has the ability to control the scanner from a web interface (I think only HP does this(?) so this can probably be dropped since having a laser printer is mostimportant to me).

Something like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EILTCQ/

Is near perfect for what I want except apparently it has real trouble with Windows 7 x64.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

DarkHorse posted:

You almost certainly want a Brother HL-2270DW - it has wireless, it's fast, does duplexing, efficient with toner, and they're very well regarded overall. They're about $150

I have the old model, but I've gone through two trays of paper on the initial cartridge and it hasn't missed a beat yet. I think there's a sensor you can cover if you want to squeeze out every last bit of toner instead of triggering the "out of toner" error.

I upgraded to the 2270DW from the 2170W primarily for duplexing, and this is definitely the one you want. I found it for $90 somewhere, so keep your eyes pealed for deals. They fixed that annoying sensor bug in the 2170W by adding this option:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

What's the consensus on the Brother HL-2070N? I can snag one for £40, including shipping, and I'm wondering it it's as good as the 2170/2270's.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Steakandchips posted:

What's the consensus on the Brother HL-2070N? I can snag one for £40, including shipping, and I'm wondering it it's as good as the 2170/2270's.

The 2170 added some speed and wireless, and the 2270 added some more speed and duplex printing. If neither of those matter to you, the 2070 is just fine.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
My old Brother multifunction inkjet just died and I wanted to go back to a laser. I was looking at the 2270 and I'm glad to see it is Goon approved. You can find them at Office Max this week for $100 and coupons on EBay to make it cheaper. That is what I am doing tomorrow. I am going to enjoy having duplex printing as an option

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Fangs404 posted:

They fixed that annoying sensor bug in the 2170W by adding this option:

lol, so I download new firmware installer from their website and run, it pops up a Window in Japanese and says my printer is the incorrect model. Run with format set to English (United States) and it installs. Retarded, the printer and firmware download are US English but it bails out because my desktop formats currency in Yen.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

MrMoo posted:

The P1102w looking quite a good choice as a cheap wifi laser for $99,

This came in today and it works a treat. However as usual for HP not everything works well. The installer on OSX completely skips any networking and fails an automatic firmware update because the computer has another HP printer already attached and configured.

The printer has a 16MB flash drive inside holding the Windows drivers, pretty neat. So hook up with a 7 box, configure WiFi networking, update to the Airprint firmware and done.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

DarkHorse posted:

I don't care about duplexing, but drat, it's going for $135 shipped on Amazon (w/Prime). And replacement cartridges are $20 for off brand or $30 for name brand..

I'm sold. Thanks goon.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

MrMoo posted:

lol, so I download new firmware installer from their website and run, it pops up a Window in Japanese and says my printer is the incorrect model. Run with format set to English (United States) and it installs. Retarded, the printer and firmware download are US English but it bails out because my desktop formats currency in Yen.

THIS IS ARE AMERICA!!! :patriot:

It's baffling that an international company like Brother can't do some basic testing of their installers to make sure they don't freak out like they did for you.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm currently looking at getting a Brother MFC-9210 for the office. We need 1) fast, reliable bulk scanning/copying and 2) occasional color printing; would a lower-end multifunction be able to get through stacks of copies in a reasonably time, or would it be better to get a good mono laser to scan/copy and a separate dedicated color printer?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat posted:

Whelp. My Brother 2170W is pretty much on its last legs. It seems "temperamental" about when it does and doesn't want to print. It had a good run, though- I owned it for over 3 years and never had to refill the toner a single time. We're also looking for a 3-in-1.

I'm looking at the Brother MFC-7840W. Listed on Newegg for $309. Any thoughts on this printer?

Vitae posted:

The MFC-7840W while an excellent machine, is the "old and busted".
This MFC-7860DW is the "new hotness".

It's basically the upgraded model, more features, better wireless card, and it prints duplex (both sides of the page) automatically.

Edit: Personally I think the MFC-7840W wins in the looks department, but the MFC-7860DW has more features, but is butt ugly.
Trip report: The 7860DW is awesome! Prints quickly, responsive wireless, easy installation. Brother hits another one out of the ballpark. I hope it lasts as long as my 2170W did. Who'd have thought that Brother would be banging out the most reliable laserjets in the industry.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 9, 2011

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Gabriel Pope posted:

I'm currently looking at getting a Brother MFC-9210 for the office. We need 1) fast, reliable bulk scanning/copying and 2) occasional color printing; would a lower-end multifunction be able to get through stacks of copies in a reasonably time, or would it be better to get a good mono laser to scan/copy and a separate dedicated color printer?

It really depends on how much you're scanning, both overall and pages per document. That model has a 35 page tray for scanning. The document scanners we use are Fujitsu Scansnap S1500s at about $400 each with a 50 page tray, and I wouldn't go any cheaper for the amount of scanning we do. I don't think that MFC would be as fast or reliable as a Scansnap, but if you aren't doing as much scanning then it might work out.

Even though Brother makes good stuff, I think this is a case where an MFC just isn't as good as dedicated devices.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Gabriel Pope posted:

How many people? How much will you be printing? What is considered "stacks of copies"(1 page, 10 pages, 100 pages)? How fast do you need it? Without hard numbers it's hard to give a good suggestion for an office.

I would also bet the Scansnap that Cpt.Wacky suggested will beat the pants off any crappy AIO scanner. Those Scansnaps are nice I just wish they weren't so expensive. I don't have a good reason to justify getting one

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's a tiny office (2 people most of the time, occasionally we have a 3rd in.) Printing + copying probably doesn't amount to more than 150 pages/week; a $400 printer honestly feels like overkill, but we're pretty fed up with the inkjet we've been using. It prints fast enough (when it works), but copying is a bit slower and the feed is horribly inaccurate so we end up having to go back through and copy half the pages individually anyhow. It would be really, really nice if we had a printer that could be given 6-8 pages and have a complete finished copy in our hands within a minute without any further dicking around; I know the total time savings isn't huge, but when we've got stuff to process we really want to get through it ASAP because it's goddamn annoying having to have clients standing there waiting several minutes while we fumble around with the printer.

(Actual scanning only comes up occasionally, like maybe 10 pages most months, maybe 30 pages during peak months. Being able to get paper copies out quickly is way more important.)

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 9, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

My parents are looking for a printer/scanner; I have little advice cause I got tired of dealing with lovely drivers and moving parts haven't owned one since I moved out. I understand laserjets are recommended now? I know they spent too much on cartridges for their HP inkjet. Any more specific advice appreciated. Their desired features:
  • Appropriate for low to moderate home use
  • Doesn't need to print color, photos or anything like that
  • Wireless
  • Document feeder into the scanner, not the kind where you lay down one page at a time
  • My priority is something known for reliable hardware and easy-to-understand, stable software (they still run XP for now, I hope they would get a new PC with Win7 soon) so they're not calling me with problems every week.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

I was planning on getting the Brother HL-2270DW but newegg has the HL-2240D on sale for almost half of the 2270DW. Is there any reason not to get the 2240D other than it not being wireless?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Pertplus posted:

I was planning on getting the Brother HL-2270DW but newegg has the HL-2240D on sale for almost half of the 2270DW. Is there any reason not to get the 2240D other than it not being wireless?

Well it doesn't have any networking capability (wireless or ethernet) so you are stuck using USB. Other then that I doubt there's any major differences. I just purchased the 2270DW and it's a nice printer. I haven't printed much on it but it was easy to setup on my network and just worked.

For Gabriel Pope and A Violence Gang I really have no clue about printers. I wish I could help you out. I didn't realize LED color printers were that cheap until I saw the post for MFC-9120CN

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I ended up just showing my dad this list from Newegg; it looks like wireless is not ubiquitous on this class of printer and as for the document feeder for scanning, I can't even tell so he'll probably have to be flexible there depending on what he wants to spend. He wants to order something tonight. I'm checking all the reviews but anyone have any just general "DO NOT BUY A _____" warnings?

More specifically, this Samsung is the cheapest wireless and there's a discount ending today so I won't be surprised if he wants to go that way. But a lot of the customer reviews indicate trouble with the networking, both wireless and wired, so I'm thinking I should steer him away from that. Anyone want to contradict that, i.e., is that an old problem now fixed or a user error issue?

e: He was willing to spend a little more and went with the Brother MFC-7860DW, which looks like it should be perfect from the reviews.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 15, 2011

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Gabriel Pope posted:

I have this exact model for my home office, and I'm happy with it. That said, it's probably more printer than I need, but I got it on an AWESOME deal (~$225) so I can't complain too much.

In my experience, it's very fast, has had zero reliability issues/jams, and the scanning feature is quite good, although not 100%. For the money I spent, it's definitely worth it - especially since I really needed an AIO for space constraints.

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

MECH VITAE is already stupid.
A friend of a friends cousins uncles ex-wifes babysitters dog-trainer told me that Brother has a new support feature.

Live Chat.

So, hardly any hold time if at all, and they're prompt in helping you with your issue. Go to Brother.com -> Support -> Contact Customer Service -> select your machine catagory and model number, and click LIVE CHAT.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just want to throw the Konica Minolta 1690MF out there as an option for those of you looking at color multifunction units in the $200 range. We've been using ours for a few months now and it's been excellent. We mostly use it for printing, but the auto document feed on the scanner and the copier feature seem to work really well too. Color reproduction is surprisingly good for such a cheap printer--more than good enough for us to print mockups and whatnot.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Vitae posted:

Live Chat.

Awesome, thank you. My parents got their MFC-7860DW I was talking about above and I went over to set it up. Everything went fine except the "Scan to PC" feature won't consistently work with their main PC. Works on another computer on the network (so it's not an issue of the printer connecting to the network), scanning initiated from that computer/printing works (so it's not an issue of that PC failing to see the MFC), lowering the Windows XP firewall doesn't help and it actually has worked twice but fails 90% of the time (so I can't figure a consistent factor blocking the connection). Will be taking advantage of that soon then.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 19, 2011

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

A Violence Gang posted:

Windows XP

Upgrade their os to something modern. It could be something as simple as XP being old as poo poo.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Tedronai66 posted:

Upgrade their os to something modern. It could be something as simple as XP being old as poo poo.

Would love to but their PC is also about ten years old and wasn't hot to begin with; I don't see any point until they're willing to buy/have me build them a new one. Did use the Brother live chat and made some partial improvements but the Control Center app (necessary for using the the "Scan to PC" button from the printer) refuses to function under one of their user accounts so after trying all the obvious stuff they escalated it and will have somebody get in touch.

The hardware is pretty nice, no hesitation recommending the MFC-7860DW on that count and even this issue isn't any worse than any other printer/scanner software I've had to deal with in XP before. Also tried Brother's Linux printing/scanning drivers with an Ubuntu machine and it works great so there's a plus.

e: Brother called, guy seemed very knowledgeable and got it fixed. Some deal where the TWAIN/WIA drivers weren't initializing properly under the second user's account, causing the control center to fail.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 20, 2011

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Brother HL-2270DW is on sale at Newegg for $79 through 8/1.

fudyr
Oct 29, 2010

This silence is mine
Lately found myself really needing a scanner for some university stuff.
I have next to zero knowledge of these things and have been using a black and white laser printer by HP for my printing needs till now.

I managed to narrow down the feature list to
- Multifunction (scanner etc.)
- Laser
- Black and white (really rarely print anything that would need to be in color and I can always go to my campus for those)
- Below 200€ (if possible)

Browsing through my local computer shop I found these ones to match the features/price that I'd want:
Samsung SCX-3205
HP LaserJet Pro M1132
HP LaserJet Pro M1212nf
Brother DCP-7060D

Anyone have opinions and/or experience of these? Any of these worth the price? Or does it even matter with black and white multifunction laser printers which one you get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Brother HL-2270DW is on sale at Newegg for $79 through 8/1.

You utter total bastard. WHY THE gently caress DO I LIVE IN THE UK

• Locked thread