Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyPilot
Jul 7, 2011

Fly Fly Fly
Ham Radio has changed since I was first licensed. I was licensed at 14 as a Novice and upgraded to Tech 3 weeks later. That was the time period when it took about 3 months to get your callsign. I am one of the last 20 WPM Extra's. I hated to see CW go.

Some may not like what I am about to say, but it is what it is. When the FCC took away the code requirement and restructured to 3 classes of license, things really started to go down hill. The quality of operators went down the tubes too. I have never heard so many lids on 10 meters as I do now. (Yeah yeah... I know how they act on 75 meters at night) Most people do not even learn anything about the hobby. They memorize the books and take a test. Then they are pissed off when they have no idea what they are doing and fry a rig because they don't know how to tune the antenna.

I hear hams that are two miles apart talking through a repeater. I even heard the same two asking for signal reports on each other... THROUGH A REPEATER! "Yeah Mike you are S9 here." Come on! And calling the courtesy tone a roger beep. Jeez!

Or you hear the guys on 2 meters talking like its a CB. And don't say that must only be in my area. I travel and always have a radio with me and listen from various cities. It sickens me to hear the airwaves overtaken by idiots. I am not saying ALL new hams are idiots. I talk to many who are smart people and actually learned some of that theory.

At least the Stump Jumpers and B.A.R.F are not on 75 meters screaming and yelling all night. You don't hear K1MAN yelling with his buddy in Canada anymore. "Is that you Pork Butt"

Ham radio just isn't what it used to be!

/rant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

SkyPilot posted:

Ham Radio has changed since I was first licensed. I was licensed at 14 as a Novice and upgraded to Tech 3 weeks later. That was the time period when it took about 3 months to get your callsign. I am one of the last 20 WPM Extra's. I hated to see CW go.

Some may not like what I am about to say, but it is what it is. When the FCC took away the code requirement and restructured to 3 classes of license, things really started to go down hill. The quality of operators went down the tubes too. I have never heard so many lids on 10 meters as I do now. (Yeah yeah... I know how they act on 75 meters at night) Most people do not even learn anything about the hobby. They memorize the books and take a test. Then they are pissed off when they have no idea what they are doing and fry a rig because they don't know how to tune the antenna.

I hear hams that are two miles apart talking through a repeater. I even heard the same two asking for signal reports on each other... THROUGH A REPEATER! "Yeah Mike you are S9 here." Come on! And calling the courtesy tone a roger beep. Jeez!

Or you hear the guys on 2 meters talking like its a CB. And don't say that must only be in my area. I travel and always have a radio with me and listen from various cities. It sickens me to hear the airwaves overtaken by idiots. I am not saying ALL new hams are idiots. I talk to many who are smart people and actually learned some of that theory.

At least the Stump Jumpers and B.A.R.F are not on 75 meters screaming and yelling all night. You don't hear K1MAN yelling with his buddy in Canada anymore. "Is that you Pork Butt"

Ham radio just isn't what it used to be!

/rant

Here's my take on it...

Ham radio was in serious danger of dying and removing the Morse requirement slowed the bleeding a bit. Just because it isn't required doesn't mean it isn't being learned or used. I know I'm (slowly) learning code and hear folks running CW nets all the time. The difference is that you've got folks on the air using code that want to use code, the same as always. When I mentioned that I got a key, several of the old timers in my group laughed and said they learned code just to get their license upgrades and haven't used it since. Others who brag about being old school/'know code' ops are sloppy as hell or can't operate their equipment properly and make a nuisance of themselves on the air. Having an older code requirement license does not mean that someone is any more proficient with it than someone without a code requirement who took the time to learn. That pretty much goes with anything though.

I'm one of those operators who studied the books and took the tests, mainly because I wanted to have the option to use the less crowded bands when I was comfortable enough to do so. However, I know enough about basic operation not to fry my rig. Mine died due to old age and leaky caps. The operating info I learned from the books that I use is still in my head, where the electronic engineering stuff I crammed in there is fading pretty fast. Most of the DIY aspect of the hobby is also dying, with more and more of the rigs coming out operating with electronics that are difficult to repair by hobbyists. Old tube rigs are still out there (I have one) but parts are becoming so scarce that eventually they aren't going to be repairable any longer.

One of the guys in the county wide club I joined also calls 2m/440 the ham equivalent to CB radio. I would agree, but I actually get less crap from the 11 meter crowd than I do from the hams. The bullshit I've had to deal with lately is really making me want to start acting like the biggest loving troll ham radio ever birthed. The thing that makes me wonder what the deal is there is that the hams who lid and act like total cocks on 2m are generally old timers who loving know better and constantly yell at younger people for acting exactly the same way they are.

I've asked how I sound coming into the repeater so that I can get a handle on whether I need to make some adjustments, but I can say that I've never asked for a signal report. I've heard people tell EchoLink users that they're S9 before, which always makes me laugh like a little bitch.

Oh... This is somewhat off topic, but since I assume by your username and avatar that you fly, I have a question for you. I picked up a really nice old Telex pilot's headset at a thrift store for $3 a few months back and need a .25 to 1/8" mono adapter for the microphone section so I can use it for EchoLink and D-STAR access through my PC. Do you have any idea where I can get one of those?

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
It may be easier to chop off the connector and solder on what ever you want.

That being said, I'm still curious myself where to get the connector for aviation headsets, so the next time I take my HT up in my buddie's small plane, I can actually hear the thing!

Skypilot,

Most of what you said is certainly true. The only reason I was laughing hysterically at your post is becuase there is a local 11m operator who calls himself "skypilot" and the dude is a nutcase.

SkyPilot
Jul 7, 2011

Fly Fly Fly

BigHustle posted:

Oh... This is somewhat off topic, but since I assume by your username and avatar that you fly, I have a question for you. I picked up a really nice old Telex pilot's headset at a thrift store for $3 a few months back and need a .25 to 1/8" mono adapter for the microphone section so I can use it for EchoLink and D-STAR access through my PC. Do you have any idea where I can get one of those?

Yup I fly

You should be able to get one of those adapters from any number of electronics part stores online. I would check with Extron Electronics. They should carry them.

SkyPilot fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 10, 2011

SkyPilot
Jul 7, 2011

Fly Fly Fly

AbsentMindedWelder posted:

Skypilot,

Most of what you said is certainly true. The only reason I was laughing hysterically at your post is becuase there is a local 11m operator who calls himself "skypilot" and the dude is a nutcase.

I haven't been on a CB since I was 13. I have nothing against CB and have no problem if hams want to operate on 11 meters as long as they follow the rules there and use a type accepted radio and not run more power than they are allowed.

SkyPilot
Jul 7, 2011

Fly Fly Fly

BigHustle posted:

I've asked how I sound coming into the repeater so that I can get a handle on whether I need to make some adjustments, but I can say that I've never asked for a signal report. I've heard people tell EchoLink users that they're S9 before, which always makes me laugh like a little bitch.

Another thing that annoys me is when someone tries to act smart on the radio. They make a comment to impress people which makes those who know what they are saying laugh.

One guy here using some dual band mobile is always telling how he is "adjusting mic gain" and when he gives "signal reports" he says things like "Yeah buddy you are S9 plus 60" Via a repeater of all places. Really annoys me.

I told him, privately, to stop talking that way if he doesn't want people to laugh at him. I offered to sell him an FT-736R so he could adjust his mic gain and give signal reports to include plus 60 IF he is listening to their signal on the input.

Like usual he got mad and said I was insulting him and trying to make him look stupid because he has a tech license. What can I say.. I tried to help the guy!

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
I got my PSK31 station up and running finally. If anyone wants to try to have a QSO with me, just send me a PM or AIM. I'll try to start keeping my echolink open as well when I'm in front of the PC. Speaking of echolink, I aplogize profusely regarding the AG0ON echolink node, I'm a terrible trustee. I suppose D-Star has been a major distraction of mine!

When someone asks me for a signal report thru a repeater, I tell them whether or not they are full quiting, if there is noise on the signal, and how well their audio quality sounds. I'll then usually switch my radio over to the input frequency and tell them what kind of a signal they have at my location. I know what you mean tho, I just have to shake my head when I hear people talking about S units on repeaters!

Simplex vs repeater use is an intersting topic, and I really believe it depends on the geography and culture of the hams in that area. For example, here in new castle county, Delaware, the repeaters are not nearly as active as they used to be. So, as a result, people who could hold simplex conversations will generally use repeaters, just to help encourage activity in hopes of someone else joining in the QSO.

There are two kinds of hams. Those that want to learn, and those that just want to gently caress around. It's pretty easy to tell the difference, and I will go out of my way to help someone who values my help.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

AbsentMindedWelder posted:

I got my PSK31 station up and running finally. If anyone wants to try to have a QSO with me, just send me a PM or AIM. I'll try to start keeping my echolink open as well when I'm in front of the PC. Speaking of echolink, I aplogize profusely regarding the AG0ON echolink node, I'm a terrible trustee. I suppose D-Star has been a major distraction of mine!

I don't have PMs, but if you're around, I'd like to see if we can beep and bloop each other - I have no idea if my station is set up how it should be, and as a result, no real idea how to fix it if it's not. If you don't mind helping me out, hit me up on AIM and we'll see what we can coordinate.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I need to build the data cable for my 480 , then I can get that working.

Storm's rolling in though so maybe not today!

ReD_DaWn
Apr 7, 2008

You'll be saying WOW! every time you use this towel!
For those of you with a mobile rig installed in your car, how much of a pain is it to route the wires to the battery? I've had a 2m yaesu rig since I was 13 (I'm almost 23 now), I figure it's about time that it finds a home in my car (04 Impala). I was just going to get a CB to connect to the cig lighter, but I'd rather have 60 watts of power and less truckers.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

ReD_DaWn posted:

For those of you with a mobile rig installed in your car, how much of a pain is it to route the wires to the battery? I've had a 2m yaesu rig since I was 13 (I'm almost 23 now), I figure it's about time that it finds a home in my car (04 Impala). I was just going to get a CB to connect to the cig lighter, but I'd rather have 60 watts of power and less truckers.

Curious about this too. I've had a 2m Yaesu rig in my apartment for like a year now and keep putting off installing it in my car.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
It depends on the vehicle really.
I finally got around to doing a "proper" install in my truck, and found a rubber plug in a hole under the passenger side carpet that when I pulled it out covering a cavity that seperated the cabin from the underside of the truck. There was a hole in the outside facing plate that came out in the lower right side of the engine bay that I had to enlarge a little bit to get the power wire through, but that was minor, and was on the same side as the battery, so I didn't need to route the wire very much to keep it out of the way.

ReD_DaWn
Apr 7, 2008

I have a similar situation on my car. Beneath the glove box there's a rubber grommet that has wires going through it, hopefully I can just enlarge it a bit to fit the wires through.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Depending on how 'correct' you want to be, you could always just hook it up on the ACC portion of your ignition. Before I ran the wires direct to the battery, I had it connected on the same circuit as the stereo, so it would turn on and off with the key.

It was kind of nice, since you didn't have to remember to shut the radio off when the vehicle was off, and might be an option if you're only running a 2m rig. I decided to go battery direct when I got the mobile HF rig, just to make sure I eliminated any possible alternator whine, which isn't so much of a factor on 2m FM.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

ReD_DaWn posted:

I have a similar situation on my car. Beneath the glove box there's a rubber grommet that has wires going through it, hopefully I can just enlarge it a bit to fit the wires through.

Consider yourself lucky. I have to drill through the firewall to get my power run. Fortunately I have an automatic, so there is a thinner metal plate in the section normally used to run the connections for the clutch pedal.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

SkyPilot posted:

When the FCC took away the code requirement and restructured to 3 classes of license, things really started to go down hill.

Some of the worst "lids" I've seen passed a code test and then never used it. Personally, I put off getting a license until the code requirement was dropped, but I'm learning code now because I want to.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ReD_DaWn posted:

For your specific car, I'd look for harnesses intended for police use. There have to be dozens of premade units that will fit perfectly given its popularity with city departments.

e: Apparently the 9C1 (Police) and 9C3 (Undercover) packages have this standard, you might be able to get the harness right from a Chevy dealer. It gives you 50 and 60 amp circuits in the dash as well as two 50 amp circuits in the trunk.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 17, 2011

ReD_DaWn
Apr 7, 2008

wolrah posted:

For your specific car, I'd look for harnesses intended for police use. There have to be dozens of premade units that will fit perfectly given its popularity with city departments.

e: Apparently the 9C1 (Police) and 9C3 (Undercover) packages have this standard, you might be able to get the harness right from a Chevy dealer. It gives you 50 and 60 amp circuits in the dash as well as two 50 amp circuits in the trunk.

drat, I already installed the radio, it wasn't too hard, and it cost me nothing. All I did was tape the wires to a very long screwdriver and stab it through the rubber grommet (taking care to not damage any existing wiring). The radio is mounted under the dash in the center, it's hidden yet accessible.

The first conversation I heard on a local repeater was a bunch of guys talking about meeting up for golf, and one was saying that he couldn't go because he has a walker. Is there a better confirmation of a successful radio install? I think not.

Can anyone recommend a temporary mobile 2m antenna? The mag mount I have now I got from radio shack years ago, it works well, but the plastic is cracked. It's also really long (1/2 wave?), I was in a parking garage yesterday, and it made quite a racket on the ceiling. Are there any other temporary mounting options besides mag mounts? They tend to scratch paint, and I don't like the idea of it falling off if I go too fast.

ReD_DaWn fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 18, 2011

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Ok. Anyone on Google Plus needs to get in here and post. We're starting an AG0ON circle there.

Not on G+ yet, I can give invites.

LtDan
May 1, 2004

mwdan posted:

Ok. Anyone on Google Plus needs to get in here and post. We're starting an AG0ON circle there.

Not on G+ yet, I can give invites.

I get a 404 error when I go to your link but that sounds like a awesome way to use Google Plus.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
poo poo. maybe you have to be in a circle already to see that post.

So far there are only 4 of us, but we need to expand this.

If you are already on G+ post the link to your profile here, like this:
https://plus.google.com/107094906142194517888

Maybe if you add me to a circle, then you can see that post?

otherwise, I may have to add you first before you can see it.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
If you limited your post to your Goon circle or didn't allow public access, it won't show up for anyone who isn't in your circle.

https://plus.google.com/117722810736472615387/posts is my normal profile

I have an account set up specifically for radio use, but it was suspended because I didn't have my real name set.

That one is here: https://plus.google.com/110668342199798635635/posts

I also can invite. PM me or email me if you want one.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Separate Plus accounts is unecessary with the way Plus works, unless that second one is an official club account or something.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ReD_DaWn posted:

Can anyone recommend a temporary mobile 2m antenna? The mag mount I have now I got from radio shack years ago, it works well, but the plastic is cracked. It's also really long (1/2 wave?), I was in a parking garage yesterday, and it made quite a racket on the ceiling. Are there any other temporary mounting options besides mag mounts? They tend to scratch paint, and I don't like the idea of it falling off if I go too fast.

I used a trunk lip mount for years before deciding to drill. It still damages the paint over time, but not nearly as bad as a mag mount can. I'll get a pic of the damage on my trunk tomorrow it I remember.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 22, 2011

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

grilldos posted:

Separate Plus accounts is unecessary with the way Plus works, unless that second one is an official club account or something.

I had that account already set up for ham radio use and sent myself a G+ invite just to have it. I'm glad I didn't use my regular email for ham use. I don't use that email address publicly but end up getting more spam there than I do in my other accounts combined.

drVoodoo
Jan 10, 2008
Pillbug
I'd like to join the circle.

https://plus.google.com/u/1/115247084602943127012/posts

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
mwdan, sent you a PM with my G+ info. Add me, please.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Gotcha

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
KL1FK checkin' in.

I've been out of the loop for a few years now, but have finally gotten back into radio. I have a crappy little 2m mobile that I power with a computer power supply and a mag antenna up in the garage. It's ghetto fabulous. I'm going to start studying up for the next license though since I want to play with HF.

therobbstory
Jul 1, 2011
KF4CHO checking in. General class operator since age 13 (callsign issued August 3, 1994). But around age 17, I started banging girls and haven't really keyed a mic since.

73's.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
I found a Kantronics PacketCommunicator 9612 at a thrift store, and thought it looked neat. It says it can take 6 - 25V DC @45mA, but the smallest power supplies I have are in the 12v @500mA range. I'm not sure if it is like a computer power supply, where it will only use the amperage it needs, or if 500mA will immediately fry it. I just want to see if it powers on, as I don't have a license or any other radio equipment.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

I'd say it'll only pull the current it needs. If you have a multimeter, you can check if your power supply delivers too much voltage when unloaded, but i doubt it'll go above 25 volts.
That said, inline fastblow fuses are a good idea with equipment you're unsure about.

Edit: I just ordered some relays, an audio transformer, and some other stuff. It'll turn into a simple battery charger, a ripple filter for a laptop power supply, RFI shielding, and an audio CW keyer.

Vir fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 1, 2011

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
so sore.... Saturday, we took down a tower for a lady, and I spent about 7 hours tied off to the thing from 50ft down to 10.. I think I'll be on ground crew next time.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Ow. Just a couple minutes up a tree is enough for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ln-PBPb54U

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
HAHA ! That guy should be the mascot for Hamsexy.

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'd like to get in on the Google+ SAARS circle.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/113650607369227115470/posts

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I wondered how long they could go before completely cracking up, I was surprised they made it that far.

josiahgould
Nov 10, 2009
So after listening to my local repeater for the past week on my scanner, I've decided to go for my Technician license. The next test is on the 10th of next month, giving me a little over a month to study. I'm already getting an average of 75% on the QRZ practice tests with my basic electronics knowledge, just have to learn up all the rules and regulations.

My only real problem is unless I find an amazing deal (like someone telling me it's free...) I won't have a radio until around Halloween. Are there any very cheap rigs that are out there that would hold me over until I can get something more permanent? I just want to get on and start chatting on the Gulf Coast Repeater Net.

I also have a friend I'm going to talk with about getting licensed with me. He's planning on going into the Air Force next year, so are there any benefits with being licensed that might help me convince him?

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

josiahgould posted:

So after listening to my local repeater for the past week on my scanner, I've decided to go for my Technician license. The next test is on the 10th of next month, giving me a little over a month to study. I'm already getting an average of 75% on the QRZ practice tests with my basic electronics knowledge, just have to learn up all the rules and regulations.
Try to take the General too, once your're already there.

josiahgould posted:

My only real problem is unless I find an amazing deal (like someone telling me it's free...) I won't have a radio until around Halloween. Are there any very cheap rigs that are out there that would hold me over until I can get something more permanent? I just want to get on and start chatting on the Gulf Coast Repeater Net.
Are any of those repeaters connected to Echolink? I know some amateurs who have been licensed for many years and never bought a radio, but get by with Echolink and using club stations.
Another alternative is borrowing a radio from somebody who already has lots of radios laying around. Maybe with an option to buy it when you can afford it.

josiahgould posted:

I also have a friend I'm going to talk with about getting licensed with me. He's planning on going into the Air Force next year, so are there any benefits with being licensed that might help me convince him?
If he's lucky, the might be stationed somewhere with an Air Force MARS station. They used to handle welfare phone calls over the amateur band, but these days they're mostly used by amateurs in the service on their downtime and serve as backup communication, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Anyone ever build a 2m/440 yagi or modify an old TV antenna?

Just listened to an AO-27 pass and I'd really love to make some satellite contacts, but my whip antenna isn't going to cut it.

I think I have a few duplexers outside from some old TVs. I can't seem to find much reference on converting duplexers, but I'd like to use as much junk I have lying around as I can. Theoretically, I should even have to modify a TV duplexer since the TV bands are pretty close to 2m/440, as long as the impedance is around 50 ohms.