Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone know of any good websites that sell camping equipment and stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
https://www.globetrotter.de ? They have brick & mortar stores in most major cities, too. Hamburg, Berlin, Ruhrpott, to name a few.

edit: That was literally the first website I ever accessed because I didn't have any idea what to test the connection on back in 1997. :v:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

My Lovely Horse posted:

To wit: here in Weimar, the city where they are flaunting Germany's cultural and literary heritage at every street corner, I spotted the caption "Goethe's Haus" today.

e: so plural is not genitive, still a common apostrophe mistake

Deppenapostroph's need love too. Unfortunately, the region I live in seems to enjoy dishing out the love way too much. Especially when it comes to landmark- and/or traffic signs.

Broken Dictionary posted:

To be honest, you can find a lot of really good deals in your local army-surplus store, the one resilient bastion that onlineshopping hasn't put out of business. (And literally every 20k+ sized town has one of those)

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 24, 2011

Shimmergloom
May 20, 2007

Also try: http://www.decathlon.de

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Knust, Knus, Kniest, Knistchen, Kniezchen, Knüppchen, Küppchen, Knaust, Knorz, Knörzel, Knüstchen, Knapp, Knäppchen, Knörzchen, Knerzla, Köppla, Rand, Ränftchen, Ranft, Ranften, Ranftl, Ränftel, Rauft, Rindl, Rumptschn, Knäusle, Knüssle, Mürggel, Riebel, Riebele, Scherzl, Knorze, Krüstchen, Giggel, Buckl

elwood posted:

Knapp :colbert:

Default Settings posted:

Scherzerl. :reject:

flavor posted:

Knust. :eng101:

Stuhlmajor posted:

Buuz'n :eng101:

bronin posted:

The word you're all looking for is "Kanten".

Gatac posted:

Reiftle :eng101:

Alan Greenspan posted:

None of the above. It's Knorzel.

Actually it's "Knöößli"

niethan posted:

That's clearly an Endstück.

Stuhlmajor posted:

e: Wait, I'd actually call it "Anschnitt".

frankenfreak posted:

Kabbm or Käbbla, depending on size.

elbkaida posted:

Ränftl.

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Knust and Krotzen, respectively.

:stare:

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
This poo poo truly is :stare: as gently caress. Btw, you quoted me wrong. :colbert:

On another note, is there any other thing in German/English/whatever like the one we just discussed? Where the word for it differs every 10 or so kilometers?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I can't think of anything off the top of my head where it differs this significantly. Just goes to show that bread (and food, for that matter) is Serious Business in Germany, because we love our awesome bread. :colbert:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

bronin posted:

This poo poo truly is :stare: as gently caress. Btw, you quoted me wrong. :colbert:

On another note, is there any other thing in German/English/whatever like the one we just discussed? Where the word for it differs every 10 or so kilometers?

Soda/pop/coke/fizzy comes close I think. But really, we don't even talk about Endstücke that much. Even the Schrippen "controversy" isn't that much of a problem as soda/pop in the States, I think.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
For anyone who can read German and is interested in this stuff, this project (which I think I first heard about either here or over in the German language thread in SAL) has a few pretty striking examples of regional variation in colloquial German.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Zwille posted:

Soda/pop/coke/fizzy comes close I think. But really, we don't even talk about Endstücke that much. Even the Schrippen "controversy" isn't that much of a problem as soda/pop in the States, I think.
I don't know, growing up in Berlin definitely gave me a friendly disdain for lots of things that come from Southern Germany, such as Oktoberfest, Karneval and their dialects. And since these people used to get all the foreign tourism (seems like Berlin has caught up a lot recently), I had to endure all these questions about "beer fests" and the like.
In American terms, I'd compare it to being born in New York City and having to endure questions like "So do you have rodeos every weekend, podner? You ride horses yourself?".

And it's "soda" :colbert:.
Call it "pop" or "fizzy" if you must, but calling something that is not Coca Cola a "coke" is :haw: as poo poo. (Edit: After talking to somebody who grew up in a "coke" area, it seems more like they're using it like a genericized brand name, as in people saying "let's play some Xbox" and then ending up playing the Wii/PS3.)

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 26, 2011

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

For anyone who can read German and is interested in this stuff, this project (which I think I first heard about either here or over in the German language thread in SAL) has a few pretty striking examples of regional variation in colloquial German.

Holy poo poo, that's an eye opener right there. How the gently caress can we talk to each other?

http://www.philhist.uni-augsburg.de/de/lehrstuehle/germanistik/sprachwissenschaft/ada/runde_0/karten/Broetchen.jpg

gently caress whoever speaks of "Rundstück" near Berlin, look at that map and realize that you are a freak.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I have yet to see a country or language where you have such ridiculous regional diversity with accents when it comes to the nomenclature of everyday things.

A friend of mine once complained that there are too many different words for customer divider bars at the register of ye olde grocery store in this country. I silenced him by pointing out that just in the different frankonian regions (there is only one true frankonia, gently caress you all), there are roughly 25 loving words for "wheelbarrow".

e: I'll start with "a Röbbern"

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Stuhlmajor posted:

e: I'll start with "a Röbbern"
I'll continue with "Rowelln".

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

hankor posted:

are you in berlin? that is the address of where i get my film developed, and it doesn't look like a bakery.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

:ms:

edit: Now I have this funny image in my head of you going into the bakery and giving them your film and them rolling their eyes and going over to Porst the minute you leave the bakery :v:

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Oh yeah that explains it. I love German bread and can't stop eating it which makes me hella fat so I basically have to block out all bakerys from perception.

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

Ziir posted:

:stare:

I know. The only debate over that bit ("the crust") I've encountered is whether it should be eaten or thrown out.

I prefer to leave it on the cupboard until it gets moldy and then throw it out.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Discuss. :psyduck:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fasheem posted:

I know. The only debate over that bit ("the crust") I've encountered is whether it should be eaten or thrown out.

I prefer to leave it on the cupboard until it gets moldy and then throw it out.
If your bread is any good, not only will you be able to eat the one you cut off first, you will fight with your spouse over who gets to do it. The other end will be dry and chewy once you finish the loaf and can safely be thrown out. Unless your bread is good enough that you finish off the loaf in one day, in which case it's customary to eat the second end as well and spend the evening on the couch waiting for your stomach pains to go away.

Jury's still out on the moral acceptability of cutting off both ends right when you bring the bread home.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

elwood posted:

There's nothing to discuss, but this is the reason why I always use the exact time (Zehn Uhr Fünzehn) when talking to my German coworker.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

elwood posted:

You opened Pandora's box there...

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Zehn Fünfzehn. :colbert:

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

elwood posted:

:can:

Fixed it.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

elwood posted:

If halb elf is 10:30 or half to/from 11 or whatever, then wouldn't it make more sense that viertel elf be 10:45 or quarter to/from 11?

I think I'd understand what everybody meant by x ab/über y, but that one is just messing with me.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Default Settings posted:

There's nothing to discuss, but this is the reason why I always use the exact time (Zehn Uhr Fünzehn) when talking to my German coworker.

This is so important, especially when you're on the job! Always say the time using the 24-hour convention.

EDIT:

Ziir posted:

If halb elf is 10:30 or half to/from 11 or whatever, then wouldn't it make more sense that viertel elf be 10:45 or quarter to/from 11?

I think I'd understand what everybody meant by x ab/über y, but that one is just messing with me.

"Viertel Elf" means a quarter of eleven. You're in the 11th hour of the day and a quarter of it has already passed.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 26, 2011

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Ziir posted:

Well, to be fair, an Austrian would gladly tell you about his new book on prepositions that he got "um 19,99€" instead of "für 19,99€". :psyboom:

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Ziir posted:

10:15
Viertel Elf

10:30
Halb Elf

10:45
Dreiviertel Elf

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Arwarker posted:

Well, to be fair, an Austrian would gladly tell you about his new book on prepositions that he got "um 19,99€" instead of "für 19,99€". :psyboom:

"Hat so um die 20€ gekostet" would be acceptable - I think the above is actually a contraction of that although it's retarded to say "um die" and then quote an exact price.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Zwille posted:

"Hat so um die 20€ gekostet" would be acceptable - I think the above is actually a contraction of that although it's retarded to say "um die" and then quote an exact price.

Nope. It's not a contraction. Austrian German is strange.

Hungry Gerbil fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 26, 2011

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

I grew up in Berlin with "Viertel nach Zehn" and only learned about "Viertel Elf" pretty late. It was not used in my more sophisticated circles. (Not really kidding, the more intellectual people there viewed a strong Berlin accent/dialect as low-class. This was not so much the case with other dialects in other regions.)

Also, "Sonnabend" is cool and "Samstag" is douchey. It's "sun evening" against "sams day", where "sams" doesn't evoke any mental image at all.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Zwille posted:

I can't give you a professional opionion on this, but I seriously doubt that it's a contraction.

Also, if I want to quote an estimated price here in eastern Austria I'd use "circa".

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

flavor posted:

I grew up in Berlin with "Viertel nach Zehn" and only learned about "Viertel Elf" pretty late. It was not used in my more sophisticated circles. (Not really kidding, the more intellectual people there viewed a strong Berlin accent/dialect as low-class. This was not so much the case with other dialects in other regions.)

Also, "Sonnabend" is cool and "Samstag" is douchey. It's "sun evening" against "sams day", where "sams" doesn't evoke any mental image at all.

:colbert:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

e: f,b!

e: you found an even gayer image though so congrats I guess :P

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

flavor posted:

(Not really kidding, the more intellectual people there viewed a strong Berlin accent/dialect as low-class. This was not so much the case with other dialects in other regions.)
In my experience that's widespread. People who speak with not just an accent but in dialect tend to be either from the countryside / small cities or have lower grade education, sometimes both. I'm not saying a person with a higher education will not speak in dialect but the chance is much lower.

flavor posted:

You are wrong.

Also Beistrich. Ösis are weird.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Sereri posted:

Also Beistrich. Ösis are weird.
Now try to get a deeper understanding of the Binnen-S!

Alan Greenspan
Jun 17, 2001

elwood posted:

I grew up right at the border between purple and blue and this division runs through my family. My mom's side is fiercely in the 'viertel elf' camp while my dad's side is 'viertel nach zehn'. They are both wrong, of course, it's 'zehn uhr fuenfzehn'. :colbert:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Hungry Gerbil posted:

:colbert:

That silly propaganda was made up after the fact. I also made it a point to never read that book. I could also write you a children's book why the earth is flat or why there's not evolution. Doesn't make it any more true.

Sereri posted:

You are wrong.
Oh ok, I'll be sure to consider that well-supported argument in the future. Whenever I'll talk about "Sonnabend" again, I'll pause and think "Wait a minute, Sereri said I was wrong... hm...". I'm sure "Samstag" is supposed to mean something and I could look that up somewhere, but "Sonnabend" has an immediately obvious meaning.

Alan Greenspan posted:

I grew up right at the border between purple and blue and this division runs through my family. My mom's side is fiercely in the 'viertel elf' camp while my dad's side is 'viertel nach zehn'. They are both wrong, of course, it's 'zehn uhr fuenfzehn'.
All humor aside, I think among the three options you're discussing "viertel elf" makes the least sense because there's the pitfall of thinking it means 11/4 = 2.75. (I know it's supposed to mean "a quarter of the hour before eleven o'clock has passed", but that's hard to grasp when you grew up with the other two expressions.) "Viertel nach zehn" means a quarter of an hour has passed after 10 (no pitfall there), and "Zehn uhr fuenfzehn" is obvious also.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

elwood posted:

viertel nach zehn is the only choice here :D

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

flavor posted:

Oh ok, I'll be sure to consider that well-supported argument in the future. Whenever I'll talk about "Sonnabend" again, I'll pause and think "Wait a minute, Sereri said I was wrong... hm...". I'm sure "Samstag" is supposed to mean something and I could look that up somewhere, but "Sonnabend" has an immediately obvious meaning.

:nyd:

Excuse me, your opinion that Samstag was douchy because the origin of sams has been crippled beyond recognition is of course the definition that should be taught in schools.
One is the continuition of the germanic zoning of the day times in which used the previous evening was part of the day. The other is basically the day of saturn / star of sabbat , the same as in Spanish, French, Italian and English.

But one of those was used by communists so you are wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Wait what wednesday evening used to be donnersabend?