Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Underflow posted:

Yeah, I do; for slow stuff all the time, for fast stuff depending on the sound I'm going for. Basically exactly like McCartney. Who still is my favourite bass player.

I'll never forgive him for remastering everything The Beatles ever did after Lennon was dead and punching has bass up to ridiculous levels :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

Underflow posted:

I used to do that until I started using an additional amp (or monitor) in parallel with only the mids and high end close by (heavily compressed so as not to blow my ears to pieces on the transients). Makes you hear the dynamics and nuances better. For smaller gigs just find the sweet spot where you get the right mix between your bass and the rest.

Scarf posted:

Do you anchor your thumb or float? I'd say maybe 75% of people I see digging too hard (unintentionally) have their thumb anchored.

It's much easier to change up your plucking dynamics when you float.

I would say there is definitely a sound aspect involved as I often feel I can't quite hear myself on the heavy drums sections. I could turn up but it always feels right until it's just not enough. This second amp sounds like a good idea although the idea of carrying around even more gear sounds exhausting. I might play around with my EQ instead (more highs, less lows?). Or are you suggesting I let the venue's speakers handle the lows and I set the amp I bring to only do mids and highs?

I do play with floating thumb but it's likely I'm not holding down solid technique when on stage. This isn't a problem at all when I'm at home playing by myself so I will try to be more conscious of moving my anchor every time while performing. A second thing I suspect is happening, although it's hard to think about at the time, is that I don't switch fingers consistently. My middle finger ends up a lot sorer at the end of the night.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Schlieren posted:

I'll never forgive him for remastering everything The Beatles ever did after Lennon was dead and punching has bass up to ridiculous levels :colbert:

drat, I didn't know. I still have all the old vinyl. In all fairness, they were limited by EMI's refusal to let the needle dig into one of the matrices at the mastering stage, 'cause it "would make the pick-ups on ordinary record players jump" - this in spite of the fact that all the grey US R&B imports had a fat bass going on.

Cloud Dog posted:

I might play around with my EQ instead (more highs, less lows?). Or are you suggesting I let the venue's speakers handle the lows and I set the amp I bring to only do mids and highs?

Better not play around with your main sound, or the house sound will be affected. If you know there'll be a separate stage mixer you can just ask for a personal monitor with - or have your side of the lateral stage monitors feature - a mid and high end (but be drat sure they put a comp/lim on it) heavy mix that allows you to hear every note as you play, incl. the (top end of the) low ones, and no matter what the others are doing.

But in the long run you'll be better served by having your own amp or powered monitor. Later I started using one of those Boss Line Selectors that can route your signal to 3 different inputs in various configs and features a send/return. Put my own little compressor pedal on the send/return and selected the LS's A+B setting. One to the main amp, one to the aux amp/mon.

Huge advantage of using a foot-switchable A/B box like the LS is that, if your band suddenly goes in balls-out mode and things just get too drat loud on stage, you can stop sending your signal to your aux amp with a single stomp.

Also, the aux amp doesn't have to be big at all. Since it'll only do mids and treble, a simple 100W combo will do the trick in most cases. A powered monitor is even cheaper, but you'll have to include an EQ pedal in the B signal path. Or just any old power amp and speaker; picked up 2nd-hand.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Schlieren posted:

Source? I can't tell if you're joking.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is it worth getting a loop pedal to play with while I'm still learning? I'm not getting much of my own music made - I just don't know how to create it from scratch. Maybe that's a better question?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Southern Heel posted:

Is it worth getting a loop pedal to play with while I'm still learning? I'm not getting much of my own music made - I just don't know how to create it from scratch. Maybe that's a better question?

Better hold off on any purchases of that kind until you're getting comfortable on your instrument and start to hear the different parts in songs. It'll come quickly, and by that time you'll probably be more interested (and better off) with a small DAW, i.e. a piece of software that will let you record multiple audio, as well as Midi tracks any way you want. All that assuming you're talking about writing your own songs.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Southern Heel posted:

They're great for working on your soloing when you get to that point. Loop the bassline/progression of the song you're working on, then try and develop solos over it.

I don't currently own one, unfortunately. But in the past, since I primarily write songs on my bass, I'll use one in that same capacity to help me get an idea of how I want the melody of the songs to go.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 20, 2011

Anachronasty
Apr 11, 2010
I like turning the tone control down some on my bass, but it makes it sound almost boomy. What can i do to tighten up the sound? Would a compressor help?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Roygbiv posted:

I like turning the tone control down some on my bass, but it makes it sound almost boomy. What can i do to tighten up the sound? Would a compressor help?

What do you like about turning it down? Most (passive) tone controls only cut treble, so it's likely not adding any bass. If you like the sound but want to cut through more EQ can help, either on the amp or outboard. You can experiment and see whether you like leaving the tone knob wide open and cutting some treble out afterward or using the tone knob and dealing with the 'boominess' with the EQ. There's really no right way to do it, though most people agree it's better to cut frequencies you don't want than boost the ones you do.

I used to run my P-Bass tone at about 3, but then I switched from round to flatwounds and found more of the tone I was looking for. Now it's usually around 8 or so.

Anachronasty
Apr 11, 2010

Narwhale posted:

What do you like about turning it down? Most (passive) tone controls only cut treble, so it's likely not adding any bass. If you like the sound but want to cut through more EQ can help, either on the amp or outboard. You can experiment and see whether you like leaving the tone knob wide open and cutting some treble out afterward or using the tone knob and dealing with the 'boominess' with the EQ. There's really no right way to do it, though most people agree it's better to cut frequencies you don't want than boost the ones you do.

I used to run my P-Bass tone at about 3, but then I switched from round to flatwounds and found more of the tone I was looking for. Now it's usually around 8 or so.
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I'd like to have more definition and cut through more without the sound being too bright. I have tried to adjust with the EQ the best I could, and it sounds prety good, but not perfect yet.

Anachronasty fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 20, 2011

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Maybe try turning the Tone up a quarter to half-way? Passive tone control is pretty much just Low-Pass so yeah... you're cutting out pretty much all of your definition.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I've been gradually moving towards simpler and simpler electronics lately. My main bass started off as a standard 5-string Jazz before I had two humbuckers put in with series/parallel switching for each pickup. That got too finicky for me after a while, so now I'm down to one humbucker with volume, series/parallel switch and tone. Even that seems like too much now that I know that I prefer the sound of a series humbucker, so I'm thinking about having it rewired as a single humbucker in series straight to the volume pot, since I never use the tone control either. I know some folks like using onboard preamps, but do any of you go for the minimalistic approach?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Juaguocio posted:

I know some folks like using onboard preamps, but do any of you go for the minimalistic approach?

I actually had a J-retro preamp installed in my j-bass for about 7-8 years before I sold it. Granted, the battery died one night at a gig, so I just flipped it into passive, and I was so lazy I never changed it until I sold the thing! That was also the time I was beginning to use fuzz pedals, so I didn't have a need to use the active circuit.

When I sold the thing I took the stock jazz plate and wired it up to a single volume pot, which I actually regret now as I've been learning to use the tone control on my SX P copy, and it helps a lot! I can get some warmth when I play with a pick and I can subtly change my tone during sections of a song, IE sort of dark for a verse and bright for a chorus. My guitar player had a stock MIM strat for years but would always play with his pickup positions and tone controls to get different colors out of his guitar, I was amazed! I didn't really understand before why you would use a passive tone control on a bass.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Juaguocio posted:

I've been gradually moving towards simpler and simpler electronics lately. My main bass started off as a standard 5-string Jazz before I had two humbuckers put in with series/parallel switching for each pickup. That got too finicky for me after a while, so now I'm down to one humbucker with volume, series/parallel switch and tone. Even that seems like too much now that I know that I prefer the sound of a series humbucker, so I'm thinking about having it rewired as a single humbucker in series straight to the volume pot, since I never use the tone control either. I know some folks like using onboard preamps, but do any of you go for the minimalistic approach?

I don't have any instruments with active controls. For recording I play through a simple compressor into a tube pre-amp with only a volume control into a solid-state power amp feeding a 300W single 15" ElectroVoice cab. And a Precision I have has the pick-up wired directly to the output. I rent live rigs (with EQ...) these days.

Guitars I record straight through a '70s 12-15W 12" silverface Musicmaster Bass (volume/tone). Nothing fancy there either. Olde timey Gibsons and Rickenbackers.

ScreaminKing
Feb 26, 2002

I was punched in the face. What's your excuse?
Just a little update on selling my Epiphone Rivoli. After listing it on every goddamn site, I ended up selling it on craigslist to a pretty motivated buyer. I ended up getting $700, but after meeting the guy I think I could have gotten more (gah!). Ah well, it was more than I thought I was gonna get.

Turns out the guy had owned two Rivoli's previously that had broken on him. He was really happy to see one in such pristine condition.

Thanks for all your help guys.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I'm using a passive Fender Jazz into an Ashdown ABM head and I've been playing around with the 'pre-shape' filter switch. In the past I've always left it off because I don't generally like mid scooped sounds, but I did a practice with it on the other day and it gives this wonderful dubby bottom end to everything and I can feel my playing as much as hear it.

Is this a good idea to leave it on or am I sacrificing definition for extra bass that probably won't translate through the PA anyway? In the past I've always kept my mids high and trusted our soundman to do his thing on the other side of the speakers but I can't get over how much more confident I'm playing now I'm not fighting the gear to get the sound I want to hear.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

darkwasthenight posted:

Is this a good idea to leave it on or am I sacrificing definition for extra bass that probably won't translate through the PA anyway? In the past I've always kept my mids high and trusted our soundman to do his thing on the other side of the speakers but I can't get over how much more confident I'm playing now I'm not fighting the gear to get the sound I want to hear.

In my experience, a lot of extra bass doesn't really translate well to "good" tone. If using reggae or dub as a starting point, most of what my ear perceives as massive bass starts with a hi-cut filter. If I boost up the bass too much it gets inaudible and just becomes resonant frequencies for everything in the room.

Also, you might not be as audible as you once were on stage/in rehearsal from the scooped mids. Adjusting your volume to compensate won't compensate for everything, and it might just get out of control on stage. I would keep experimenting though. This is all just in my own experience so it could be completely different for you.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

ScreaminKing posted:

Just a little update on selling my Epiphone Rivoli. After listing it on every goddamn site, I ended up selling it on craigslist to a pretty motivated buyer. I ended up getting $700, but after meeting the guy I think I could have gotten more (gah!). Ah well, it was more than I thought I was gonna get.

Turns out the guy had owned two Rivoli's previously that had broken on him. He was really happy to see one in such pristine condition.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Congrats. Shipping is a pain (and getting more expensive), so it probably worked out better for you anyway. A lot of times it's just being in the right place at the right time to find a buyer.

edit: speaking of buying, I've got this coming tomorrow

Tribute model. I got a great deal on it because the active electronics don't work, which I don't care about anyway. I made a snap decision and now I'm kind of questioning whether I really need another bass, but if I don't fall in love I can sell it for what I paid easily.

The Bunk fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 21, 2011

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I spent last night and a large portion of this afternoon putzing around with my cabinet build.

I probably could have gotten further, but there were some cool shows on Discovery and the History channel, so I got sidetracked often.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
G&L's preamp sucks anyways. Buy the Tribute and either wire it up passive or with an OBP-3.

Speaking of G&L Preamps....

They're going to be introducing a new model of bass any day now. Modern active preamp designed by BBE, series pickups with less winding, and as-yet-unannounced small changes in the bass itself between the L-2000. No coil tap, but supposedly they've designed it to be trivial to add. Reports are that it still has most of the G&L bite if you want it, but covers a much wider range of tones.

the discussion thread, if'n you care.

I really like G&L's save the preamp, and had they done this five years ago I probably would have three G&L's hanging on my wall instead of a pair of Stambaugh's with one on the way. Still might end up checking one of these new guys out.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Narwhale posted:

Congrats. Shipping is a pain (and getting more expensive), so it probably worked out better for you anyway. A lot of times it's just being in the right place at the right time to find a buyer.

Tribute model. I got a great deal on it because the active electronics don't work, which I don't care about anyway. I made a snap decision and now I'm kind of questioning whether I really need another bass, but if I don't fall in love I can sell it for what I paid easily.

The tribute series is really, really great. I had one exactly like the one in your picture for my first "real" bass. I sold it last year, and I regret it quite a lot. :(

The Letter A
Nov 8, 2002

Hi fellas. I've been really considering taking up bass, but the only amp I have is a regular Roland Microcube for practicing my higher-frequency instruments.

I found this auction on eBay, and I figured at a price that low, there has to be something seriously wrong with it. Could someone please tell me what that would be? I know next to nothing about basses or bass amps.

Is there any combination of decent beginner-bass and amp that I could get for under $200?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The Letter A posted:

Hi fellas. I've been really considering taking up bass, but the only amp I have is a regular Roland Microcube for practicing my higher-frequency instruments.

I found this auction on eBay, and I figured at a price that low, there has to be something seriously wrong with it. Could someone please tell me what that would be? I know next to nothing about basses or bass amps.

Is there any combination of decent beginner-bass and amp that I could get for under $200?

Nothing super seriously wrong with it, just like every other guitar or bass for that price, it will be made of asswood (no typo) in china, sound like poop, and people will laugh at your no-name headstock. You could probably walk into any chain music store and get roughly the same deal.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

The Letter A posted:

I would avoid any bass pack especially a no name. I would suggest you comb ebay, craigslist, or local pawn shops for some options. Ibanez, laguna, samick, cort, yamaha, sx, squier all make descent begginer basses in your price range. My current set up connsists of a cort action bass V that came with a tkl flight case from ebay for 130 dollars shipped and Ibanez sw35 bass amp which I got from a pawnshop for 75. This setup is 5 times better than the squier bass pack I started with which was also more expensive. If you must have a basspackage check amazon because they have dean and silvertone packages that are cheaper than the no name. or do what the above poster suggested and go to a guitar center. hope this helps

The Letter A
Nov 8, 2002

Krustic posted:

hope this helps
Very much so, thanks Krustic and RillAkBea, very helpful.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Guitar Center also does used gear if you want that convenience, you can browse on their website and google amp models to get an idea if they're worth $20 or $40 or whatever.

Shame you didn't get a bass Microcube, mine sounds pretty good with guitar too ;)

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Narwhale posted:

Initial impressions: feels absolutely amazing, but I'm not sure about the sound. I only played it through my Pod, but it's way more aggressive than I was expecting. My other basses are a P, a semi-hollow with mini-humbuckers, and a Danelectro so that's where I'm coming from tonewise. I'm going to bring it to practice this week to make sure, but I'm not sure it's going to stay around for long. It's a shame, because I love the way it plays.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Narwhale posted:

Initial impressions: feels absolutely amazing, but I'm not sure about the sound. I only played it through my Pod, but it's way more aggressive than I was expecting. My other basses are a P, a semi-hollow with mini-humbuckers, and a Danelectro so that's where I'm coming from tonewise. I'm going to bring it to practice this week to make sure, but I'm not sure it's going to stay around for long. It's a shame, because I love the way it plays.

By more aggressive, is it breaking up and such with normal playing? If so, maybe try lowering the pickups?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
They're pretty aggressive, but there are a lot of tones in the preamp. It's just kind of tricky to figure out how to get the sounds out.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

By more aggressive, is it breaking up and such with normal playing? If so, maybe try lowering the pickups?

Not really, though it is fairly hot particularly in series. It's the voicing I'm not really a fan of, which is closer to the Jazz/Stingray end of the spectrum than I'd like. I had a Peavey Foundation before that sounded similar. I guess I'm more of a Precision with flats 'pillow of sound' kind of guy. No big deal, I'll be able to make my money back. I'm still very impressed and would definitely recommend the Tribute series.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

They're pretty aggressive, but there are a lot of tones in the preamp. It's just kind of tricky to figure out how to get the sounds out.

This is all I could think of when I read that :)

"The files are IN the computer?"

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Pretty sure this made an appearance at Summer NAMM. WANT.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
That thing looks like it detects ghosts.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is the Pro one new? I really want to try out the Multiwave Distortion but I'm unlikely to find anywhere that carries it here. I want to hear some of the more straight ahead tones, most of the videos get into the synthy side of things.

EDIT: Oh yeah it's an upgrade
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kBX5kkPEHA

Ghosts confirmed at 4:20

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
My luthier refinished my T-40 in seafoam green yesterday - I can't say I could be any happier with the end result! Going to take this beast to the next band rehearsal on Sunday hoping for it to become my main bass.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

These Loving Eyes posted:

My luthier refinished my T-40 in seafoam green yesterday - I can't say I could be any happier with the end result! Going to take this beast to the next band rehearsal on Sunday hoping for it to become my main bass.

That is so awesome and I like it better than any of the stock colors. I'm interested in T-40s, but I'd want to be able to play (and hold) one before I bought it because apparently I'm pretty picky when it comes to basses.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Narwhale posted:

That is so awesome and I like it better than any of the stock colors. I'm interested in T-40s, but I'd want to be able to play (and hold) one before I bought it because apparently I'm pretty picky when it comes to basses.

They're heavy as hell...

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

They're heavy as hell...

I know, that's where the holding part comes in :) . Honestly they appeal to me because of the whole 'poor man's Rickenbacker' thing, but I've never played one. Actually, I've never even played a Rickenbacker so there you go. Same with a Hiwatt. Most of the equipment I think/fantasize about the most is stuff I've never seen up close. That's the downside of being able to spend as much time as I want on the internet but not being rich enough to buy whatever I want.

Rheyr
Mar 26, 2010
I'm looking for a affordable acoustic Bass, been lurking around on eBay to see what is floating around on there. I'm currently looking at two, an Ibanez AEM34B and EWB20WNENT.
Wanted to see what you guys thought before running in and grabbing one of these?

For the record this is just something to mess around with, I already have a Mexican Fender P-bass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Rheyr posted:

I'm looking for a affordable acoustic Bass, been lurking around on eBay to see what is floating around on there. I'm currently looking at two, an Ibanez AEM34B and EWB20WNENT.
Wanted to see what you guys thought before running in and grabbing one of these?

For the record this is just something to mess around with, I already have a Mexican Fender P-bass.

It depends on what you're planning to use it for. Most acoustic basses do not have much volume when played unplugged, so you need one with a large body if you want to be able to jam with other people. If you're going to be amplifying it, or if you're just going to use it to practice by yourself, you have a lot more options.

If I was choosing between the two basses you're considering, I would go for the EWB because it seems to have better wood quality, which is highly important for an acoustic instrument. I haven't personally played one, but I've heard that it's hard to beat the Dean EAB when it comes to cheap acoustic basses.